Belfast Newsletter - Wednesday, 7 March 1923


SMITH -- February 26, at 7, Adelaide Park, to Mr. and Mrs. W. S. Smith -- a daughter.


ADJEY -- March 6, 1923, at his residence, 50 Lagan Street, Belfast, David, the dearly-beloved husband of Mary Jane Adjey. His remains will be removed for interment in the family burying-ground, Dundrod, at 1 o'clock to-morrow (Thursday), March 8th. Inserted by his loving Wife and Family.

ALEXANDER -- March 6, at Victoria Villas, Ballyclare, James Alexander (late Assistant County Surveyor). His remains will be removed for interment in the New Cemetery, Ballyclare, at 3 o'clock to-morrow (Thursday) afternoon.

ALLEN -- March 5 (suddenly), at his residence, Langdale House, Islandmagee, James Allen. Funeral to-day (Wednesday), at 2 p.m., to the family burying-ground, Ballycarry. Friends will please accept this intimation. S. E. ADRAIN.

ANDERSON -- March 5, at her residence, 57, Court Street, Newtownards, Gladys Anderson ("Wee Billie"), after a lingering illness. The remains will be removed from her late residence to-day (Wednesday), at 2-30 p.m., for interment in Ballynanish, Portaferry, the cortage passing through Kirkcubbin at 4-15 p.m. Deeply regretted by her sorrowing Father, Mother, and Sister.

CALDWELL -- March 5, 1023, at her late residence, Coulter House, Killinchy, Elizabeth Gordon Caldwell. Funeral private, by motor, to Keady, this (Wednesday) morning.

CARLISLE -- March 6, at her residence, Ardenlee Cottage, Ravenhill Gardens, Dinah, daughter of the late William Carlisle, Kilmore, Lurgan. Her remains will be removed to-morrow (Thursday), at 12 noon, for interment in family burying-ground, Maralin. Friends please accept this (the only) intimation.

GORDON -- March 5, 1923, at his residence, 17, Avondale Terrace, Ashley Avenue, James Gordon, late of Mullaghglass, Co. Armagh. Funeral to Scarva Meeting-house Green to-day, at 12 o'clock, by motor. HUGH GORDON.

MILLAR -- March 6, 1923, at her residence, 8, Clonlee, Larne, Martha M'Neill (late of Portpier, Larne), the beloved wife of J. Millar, late H.M. Customs. Funeral to Larne New Cemetery to-morrow (Thursday), 8th inst., at 3 p.m.

OLIVER -- March 5, 1923, at his residence, 1, Fortwilliam View Terrace, Skegoniel Avenue, Robert, the dearly-beloved husband of Elizabeth Oliver. Funeral to Carnmoney Cemetery to-day (Wednesday), the 7th March, at 2-30. Deeply regretted by his sorrowing Wife and Family.

WILDMAN -- March 5, at his residence, Newtown Road, Clones, Dolling Wildman, after a lingering illness. Sadly missed by his sorrowing Wife and Relatives.

In Memoriam

MONTGOMERY -- In unfading memory of Mabelle Montgomery, Pennybridge, Bodmin. March 8, 1922.

SAVAGE -- To the memory of my beloved husband. Thomas Austin (Tom) Savage, who died 5th March, 1921. ARA C. SAVAGE.


Mr. and Mrs. E. H. Sturdy and Family desire to return their sincere thanks for the many expressions of sympathy received by them in their recent sad bereavement. They trust this acknowledgment will be accepted by all their friends as a token of their appreciation. Ballycarry, March 6, 1923.



Mr. James Alexander, who died yesterday at Victoria Villas, Ballyclare, was for half a century employed in the public service as assistant surveyor for County Antrim. He began his career as an official of the Grand Jury, and subsequently, when the administration of the roads was taken over by the county council, he was transferred to that authority. He was born at "Size Hill," Ballyclare, and had resided all his life in that district, where he was held in high esteem. He was a warm supporter of the Old Rock and Chichester Harriers, and afterwards of the East Antrim Hounds. For many years he farmed a quantity of land, and the members of the hunt were always assured of a hearty welcome and good sport when they visited his neighbourhood. His genial disposition made him a delightful companion.



An immense concourse of people of all classes and creeds attended the funeral, at Lincoln yesterday, of Dr. Beattie Macfarland, son of an Omagh farmer, and one of the city's best-known physicians, who on Friday last, on leaving the bedside of a patient, fell and expired immediately. During the war the deceased was attached to the Fourth Military Hospital, and rose to the rank of a Major. His duties necessitated his meeting ambulance trains at all hours of the day and night, and his kindly and sympathetic treatment of suffering war heroes earned for him their deep respect and affection.



War Office, 6th March, 1923. -- Regular Forces -- Memoranda -- Lieut.-Colonel R. K. Hezlett, C.B.E., D.S.O., from Royal Horse Artillery and R.F.A., to be colonel, 24th February, 1923, with seniority 1st January, 1922.

The undermentioned Major, H.P. List, retires on retired pay, 7th March, 1923; J. Evans, O.B.E., late Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, on account of ill-health, and is granted the rank of lieutenant-colonel.



The death took place in London yesterday afternoon of Brigadier-General Sir Owen Thomas, Independent M.P. for Anglesey. Sir Owen underwent an operation some three weeks ago, and had made very good progress. He had been sitting up, and was to have been allowed to leave his bed yesterday. Taken with sudden heart failure, however, he passed away at one o'clock. Sir Owen was first elected for Anglesey in December, 1916, when, standing as a Labour candidate, he defeated by 140 votes Sir Ellis J. Griffith, who had been Liberal member for twenty-three years. At the last general election Sir Owen stood as an Independent candidate, and secured a majority of 1,862 over the National Liberal, Sir R. J. Thomas.



France's Condolences on Death of German Ambassador.

Paris, Tuesday.

Immediately the news of the death of Dr. Meyer, German Ambassador to Paris, became known, the French Government instructed its Ambassador in Berlin to convey its official condolences to the German Government. This afternoon M. de Fouquieres called upon Herr Hoersch, German Charge d'Affaires, and expressed similar sentiments.

President Millerand instructed Captain Duc, of his military entourage, to call at the German Embassy to present his personal condolences to Herr Hoersch.



Signs of Returning Prosperity.

At the meeting of the Belfast Harbour Board yesterday reference was made to the steadily increasing trade of the port, and another feature which should give satisfaction to the citizens is the activity that is being displayed at the two shipyards. There are signs that the shipbuilding industry is now recovering from the period of depression which set in with the termination of the war, and although it is still a long way from being normal, the outlook is very reassuring.

At the present time vessels with an aggregate tonnage of over 250,000 are being built or reconditioned in Belfast. These include the Statendam, Holland-America Line, 32,000 tons; Belgenland, Red Star Line, 27,000 tons; Moolton and Maloja, P. & O. Line, each 27,000 tons; Veendam, Holland-America Line, 15,400 tons; Voltaire, Lamport & Holt, Ltd., 13,300 tons; Oroya, Peninsular Steam Navigation Company, 12,300 tons; and two vessels not yet named for the Atlantic Transport Co. each 18,000 tons. The Belgenland, originally designed as a cargo vessel, is being converted into a passenger ship, and for some weeks over 4,000 men have been employed on her. The Asturias was used as a hospital ship during the war, and owing to her having been damaged by a torpedo she has been laid up since 1919.

The orders for ten of these vessels have been entrusted to Messrs. Harland & Wolff, Ltd. The Voltaire is being built by Messrs. Workman, Clark, & Co., Ltd., who have also on hand six cargo steamers, whose tonnage varies from 5,000 to 10,000. The P. and O. Company have intimated their intention of placing orders for four more large liners in the immediate future, and it is possible that Messrs. Harland & Wolff will secure at least a share of this work.



A couple of outbreaks of fire occurred in Belfast yesterday afternoon, but owing to the smart work of the Fire Brigade they were got under control before much damage was done. The first outbreak was at 107, Great Victoria Street, where the roof of Mr. S. L. Milliken's dental surgery was found to be in flames. It is thought that beams let into the chimney may have become ignited, thus causing the fire. The brigade from headquarters had no difficulty in coping wife fee situation.

The second fire took place at a (suite of offices at 83, Royal Avenue. Smoke was seen issuing from the floor of the landing outside the office of Mr. A. J. Lewis, solicitor, and it was discovered later, that the fire was caused by the fusing of an electric supply cable. Contingents arrived from headquarters and Shankill Road fire station, and the outbreak was extinguished with a first-aid jet.

A malicious call was also received at the Central Station from the Kansas Avenue fire alarm.



A machinery accident occurred at the Alexandra Dock Works yesterday afternoon, as the result of which three men were injured, and received treatment at the Royal Victoria Hospital. They were -- John Brown, Thorndyke Street, injury to foot; John Hogg, Steen's Row, mouth cut; and Thomas Ferguson, Percy Street, injury to arm.



Mrs. Alan Bell, whose husband was murdered in Dublin by an I.R.A. gang in 1920, has intimated her intention of giving 500 to Seagoe parish, the interest of which, about 20 yearly, is to be applied to the relief of those in need. The gift is in memory of her late husband.

The Select Vestry has expressed their sincere gratitude to Mrs. Bell for her generous gift, and have appointed a committee to draw up a scheme for fee management of the fund.



Shortly before eight o'clock last night, a boy named Patrick Fegan, 7 years of age, when playing around the fire at his parents home, Rockdale Street, accidentally pulled a pot of boiling water over himself and was severely scalded. He was conveyed to the Royal Victoria Hospital.



Before Mr John Gray, R.M., at the Belfast Custody Court yesterday Robert Thompson, Stormount House, was charged with the manslaughter of Sarah Ann M'Closkey, on the Shankill Road recently, the allegation, being that he had recklessly driven a motor car, by which the woman was knocked down. Mr. Graham, for the defence, said at the coroner's inquest the accused was exonerated from blame. A witness said the car was travelling at from 8 to 10 miles an hour only, and if the woman had not turned to go back when she saw the vehicle the accident would not have occurred. The magistrate decided that there was no criminal negligence, and refused informations.



Belfast Man Sentenced at Downpatrick.


At County Down Assizes, yesterday, before Mr. Justice Wilson, John Millar, of Leopold Street, Belfast, for whose arrest a bench warrant was issued on the opening day of the Assizes, now presented himself, and pleaded guilty to bigamy, in that he married, first, his mother's servant, Jeannie Dougherty, in St. Anne's, Belfast, on 7th December, 1921, and, next, Annie Elizabeth Donaldson, of Thomastown, Portaferry, at Ardquin, on 18th April, 1922. Sergeant Byrne stated that the prisoner was the son of a butcher, that he enlisted in his Majesty's Army after the second marriage, and that he was arrested in one of the Channel Islands. His Lordship passed sentence of six months' imprisonment, without hard labour.

Joseph Buchanan, a young man, was indicted for arson on 29th October. Mr. G. Hill Smith, K.C. (instructed by Mr. Mussen, Crown Solicitor) prosecuted, and Mr. Hanna (instructed by Mr. Cromie) defended. The evidence was to the effect that David A. Walker, of Belfast, then owned near Hillsborough a farm and house for which he paid 1,500 in 1919. After negotiations for the purchase of the place by the prisoner's father, a neighbouring farmer, had fallen through, it was advertised for auction on 31st October. Between six and seven o'clock on the Sunday night before that date the unoccupied house was set on fire, the allegation of the Crown being that this was a manoeuvre to spoil the auction. A statement which had been made by the prisoner that be had not been out of doors after four o'clock was contradicted by several witnesses. The prisoner was found not guilty and discharged.

Patrick Sands, who was defended by Mr. Dowry (instructed by Mr. Boyle), was convicted of having passed to a Newry publican named Connolly what purported to be a 1 note, but which was really a slip cut from an American newspaper, whereby he procured three bottles of stout for himself and two friends, and received 8s 3d in "change." Sentence was recorded of three months, not to be put into execution on the prisoner entering into a 20 recognisance for two years.

William Lyons was found guilty of the larceny on 6th January by means of a trick of a 10s note from a girl in Banbridge, and was sentenced to one month's imprisonment.

Patrick Purcell, of Newry, convicted of larceny of fowl on 7th December, at Milltown, was sentenced to six months' hard labour from date of committal.

James Magowan, defended by Mr. Lowry (instructed by Mr. Boyle), was sentenced to three months' imprisonment for the larceny of a motor cycle in Rathfriland fair on 12th May last.

The Assises concluded yesterday evening.

An adjourned Special Jury case will be heard in the Record Court, Downpatrick, on Friday, 13th April.


^ top of page