The Banner of Ulster - 9 December, 1842


At Laurence Street, Drogheda on the 1st inst., the Lady of W. Rodger, Esq., of a Daughter.

At Coleraine, on Monday last, the lady of J.C.L. Carson, Esq., M.D., of a Son.

At Rokeby Green, Armagh, on the 6th inst., Mrs. J. M'CONNELL, of a Daughter.

On the 30th ult., the Lady of David Smyth, Esq., Strabane, of a Son.

Nov. 20, at Alfred Place, Alexander Square, Dublin, the Lady of W. Peyton, Esq., of Castle Carrow, Leitrim, of twin Sons.

Nov. 23, at East Mene, Isle of Wight, the Lady JANE SWINBURNE, of twin Sons.


On the 6th inst., at the house of the bride's father, Nelson Street, by the Rev. David Hamilton, Mr. THOS. FLETCHER, to JANE, youngest daughter of Mr. Samuel Galway, both of this town.

On the 30th ult., by the Rev. Isaac Adams of Ballylinney, Mr. RANDAL M'MURTRY, merchant, Belfast, to Miss JANE GALT, Sandymount, near Ballyclare.

On the 26th ult., in the Antrim Arms Hotel, Larne, by the Rev. J.G. M'Court, P.P., Glenarm, Captain WILLIAM M'CAMBRIDGE, to Miss MARGARET PARK, both of Glenarm.

On Wednesday, the 20th ult., at Clonallon Church, by the Rev. Mr. Savage, the Rev. HUNT JOHNSON, to JANE, youngest daughter of the late Savage Hall, of Narrow-water, Esq.

At Galway, by the Rev. W.G. Campbell, Wesleyan minister, the Rev. ROBT. HEWITT, Wesleyan minister of Comber, to ELIZA ISABELLA, youngest daughter of the late Captain M'Donald of Loughrea.


On the 3d inst., at Lisburn, WILSON GRAHAM, Esq., aged eighty-four years.

At his residence in Blackwatertown, on the morning of the 24th ult., Mr. JAMES HANNA, who from early life was a leading merchant there.

On the 2d inst., at 9, Leinster Terrace, Rathmines, ELLEN, wife of the Rev. J.T. Paul, and youngest daughter of the late Robert Holmes, Esq., Belfast.

On the morning of the 27th ult., at Brookfield, Blackrock, DOROTHEA, fourth daughter of the late Mr. James Morrow, Dungannon, county Tyrone.

In Cookstown, last week, MARGARET, the beloved wife of Mr. M'Geagh of that town.

On the 17th ult., after a few day's illness, Mr. ROBERT PATTERSON of Ballybunden, parish of Kilmood, in the seventieth year of his age.

Dec. 7, at Fort Singleton, county Monaghan, aged eighty-three years, ANNABELLA, relict of Thomas Singleton, Esq.

Sept. 6, at Nusseerabad, Central India, Captain JOHN ELPHINSTONE BRUERE, 13th Bengal Native Infantry, son-in-law of the gallant Brigadier-General Sir Robert and Lady Sale.


Foreign Intelligence


All that was waiting in the accounts last sent home, to make our intelligence from Affghanistan perfectly satisfactory, is supplied by those we now transmit. The report respecting the recovery of the whole of the prisoners, with the exception of Captain Bygrave, was officially confirmed, soon after the despatch of the mail; and it is now our pleasing task to state that Captain Bygrave has been rescued also. Thus, the main objects for which the march on Cabul was undertaken have all attained -- the Affghans have bit the dust on the scene of their former triumphs -- our flag has once more waved victoriously over the cities of Ghuznee and Cabul -- and our countrymen and countrywomen no longer endure the horrors of captivity. Our political connexion with the country now ceases. The troops are to be withdrawn, and the Affghans left to choose their own monarch.

By the last mail you were informed of the despatch of 700 Kuzzilbashes, with Lieutenant Sir Richmond Shakspear, to Bameean, in search of the prisoners, who have been removed thither by order of Akhbar Khan. It appears that, previous to the departure of this party, General Pollock had received intimation of their having made arrangements by which they hoped to effect their own liberation. The Kuzzilbashes, therefore, had only to assist them in carrying out their plans, and to protect them in their progress to the camp. A sum of 10,000 rupees (£1,000), was also sent, in the expectation that the pecuniary aid might possibly be required. Four days after the despatch of the Kuzzilbashes, who left on the 15th September, the day of General Pollock's arrival at Cabul, a force under Major-General Sale was directed to proceed to the Arghundee pass, in order to counteract any attempt that might be made to intercept the prisoners. These measures proved eminently successful.

The prisoners had been carried off from Cabul on the 25th August, and taken to Bameean, on the frontiers of Turkistan, where they arrived on the 3d of September. Captains Troup and Bygrave remained with Akhbar Khan; and Mrs. Trevor and family, Captain and Mrs. Anderson and children, and Dr. Campbell, stayed in Cabul, in consequence of the ill health of the ladies. The rest were, without exception, taken to Bameean. On the march thither, one or two of the officers conversed with Salih Mahomed, the commander of the escort, which consisted of about 300 infantry, respecting the escape of the captives, and at length offered him a las of rupees to deliver them up in safety. No decisive arrangement, however, was concluded; and, on the arrival of the party at their place of destination, they were placed in two miserable forts -- the ladies, officers, and children, occupying one, and the European soldiers the other.

Orders arrived on the 11th September for their departure to Kholoon. Salith Mahomed now called together the officers who had before spoken to him, and told them that he had received a message from Mohun Lall, at Cabul, to the effect that, if he would release the prisoners, General Pollock would reward him with a present of 20,000 rupees, and a pension of 1,000 rupees per month for life.He knew nothing, he said, of General Pollock; but, provided the officers and ladies would guarantee him similar compensation, he would at once restore them. His offer was closed with; the captives pledged themselves to pay the amount, should Government decline to do so, and a regular agreement was drawn up and signed. Salith Mahomed now hoisted his "flag of defiance," and acted in everyway as an independent chief. Hearing that the British troops were near Cabul, and expecting that, on the defeat of Akhbar Khan, he would proceed to Bameean, the prisoners remained in their strongholds, and made active preparations for sustaining a siege.News of the battle of Tezeen, however, arrived, and all fear of attack vanished. They now resolved to force their way to Cabul, and accordingly, on the 16th September, took their departure. Crossing the Kaloo mountains they halted near a place called Karzar, where they met the Kuzzilbashes, under Sir Richmond Shakspear; and two days afterwards the party was joined by General Sale and the force which had left Cabul on the 15th. The meeting of the captives with their friends is described to have been a most affecting sight, and to have drawn tears from every eye. One scene -- that between the gallant Sir H. Sale and his heroic wife, and widowed daughter, who had been eight months in captivity -- must be left to the imagination of the reader; no pen, we should think, could be trusted to depict the emotions excited by that blissful meeting. On the morning of the 21st they all arrived in camp, when a royal salute was fired, and the greatest joy everywhere prevailed.

The escape of the prisoners was a narrow one; and most fortunate is it that it was planned so opportunely, for the orders received from Akhbar Khan by Salith Mahomed, on the night when the latter was gained over, were to put to death such of the captives as were too weak to proceed to Kholoon ! while the fate intended for the survivors was, there call be no doubt, a life of horrible slavery in the wilds of Turkistan! Had the force, too, under General Sale, not been despatched to the Arghundoo Pass, they would probably have fallen into the hands of Sultan Jan, who was in hot pursuit. Subjoined is the official list of the captives recovered; they are 115 in all, and amongst them are thirty-four officers, nine ladies, and twenty-two children.


Major-General Shelton, H.M.'s 44th Foot. Lieut.Colonel Palmer, 27th Bengal N.I.; Major Griffiths, 37th Bengal N.l. Captains -- Boyd, Commissariat; Johnson, ditto, S.S.F., 26th N.I.; Burnett, 54th Native Infantry; Souter, H.M.'s 44th Foot; Waller, Bengal Horse Artillery; Alston, 27th Native Infantry; Poett, ditto; Walsh, 52d Madras N.I.; Drummond, 3d Bengal L.C. Lieutenants -- Eyre, Bengal Artillery; Airey, H.M.'s 3d Buffs; Warburton, Bengal Artillery, S.S.F.; Webb, 38th Madras N.I., S.S.F.;Crawford, Bengal N.I., S.S.F.; Mein, H.M.'s 13th Light I.; Harris, 27th Bengal N.I.; Melville, 54th Bengal N.I.; Evans, H.M.'s 44th Foot. Ensigns -- Haughton, 31st Bengal N.I.; Williams, 27th Bengal N.I.; Nicholson, ditto, ditto. Conductor Ryley, Ordnance Commissariat; Surgeon Magrath, Assistant Surgeons Berwick and Thomson.

Ladies. -- Ladies Macnaghton and Sale. Mesdames -- Sturt, and one child; Mainwaring, ditto; Boyd, three children; Eyre, one child; Waller, two children. Conductor Ryley's wife, Mrs. Ryley, three children; Private Bourne's (13th Light Infantry) wife, Mrs. Bourne; Mrs. Wade, wife of Sergeant Wade.

Major Pottinger, Bombay Artillery. Captains Lawrence, 11th Light Cavalry, and Mackenzie, 48th Madras Native Infantry. Messrs. Fallon and Blewitt, clerks, not in the service.

Her Majesty's 44th Foot. -- Sergeants -- Wedlock, Weir, Fair. Corporals -Sumpter, Bevan. Drummers -- Higgins, Lovell, Branagan. Privates. -- Burns, Cresham, Cronin, Miller, Driscoll, Deroney, Duffy, Mathews, M'Dade, Marron, M'Carthy, M'Cabe, Nowlan, Robson, Seyburne, Shean, Tongue, Wilson, Durant, Arch, Stott, Moore, Marshall, Murphy, Cox, Robinson, Brady, M'Glynn. Boys. -- Grier and Millwood.

Her Majesty's 13th Light Infantry. -- Privates -- Binding, Murray, Magary, Monks, Maccullar, M'Connell, Cuff.

Bengal Horse Artillery. -- Sergeants M'Nee and Cleland. Gunners -- A. Hearn, Keane, and Dalton. Sergeant Wade, baggage sergeant to the Cabul mission.

(Signed) G. PONSOBY, Captain, Assistant-Adjutant-General.

This official notification bean the Signature of
R. C. SHAKSPEAR, Military Secretary.
T. H. MADDOCK, Secretary to the Government of India, with the Governor-General.
J. P. WILLOUGHBY, Secretary to Government.

Captains Troup and Bygrave were present with Akhbar Khan at the battle of Tezeen; on the dispersion of the enemy's forces the former made his escape, but Captain Bygrave (who was still lame from the effects of intense cold) remained with the Sirdar, by whom he was taken into the Kohistan. Here, however, he did not remain long; he arrived in the Cabul camp on the 27th September, having, it seems, been voluntarily released by Akhbar Khan.

Colonel Palmer's name you will perceive among the list of prisoners; it is in the highest degree gratifying to receive this assurance of the inaccuracy of the reports of his death which have been so long current. There seems little doubt that the Ghuznee prisoners were cruelly maltreated by the Affghans. The story of Colonel Palmer having been tortured is repeated, and it is said that the names of the wretches who committed these cruelties were left on the walls of the dungeons, and found there by General Nott.

I gave you in my last some details relative to the interment of several of the skeletons of our soldiers, discovered by our army in the passes near Jugdulluck. From the comparatively small number of these, it is believed that the massacre was in reality far less extensive than has hitherto been supposed. One writer estimates the number of men who have already returned to India at 3,000, and states that 4,000 to 6,000 are believed to be still in existence, scattered amongst the hills and villages of Affghanistan. Nor does this appear an exaggerated view, for as many as 1,200 sepoys, camp followers, &c., who formerly belonged to our army, were found in a state of utter destitution, soliciting charity in the streets of Cabul; and there is every reason to suppose that in other places considerable numbers may still exist.

By the last accounts, General Pollock had not left Cabul, but preparations were making for the departure of the force, which, it was expected, would march on the 10th or 12th of October. The General has not been idle during his stay. On the 25th of September, the enemy having assembled a large force in the vicinity of Charekar, in the Kohistan, it was determined to attack them, and the following force was accordingly placed under the command of Brigadier M'Gaskill, for the purpose of conducting the necessary operations:--

ARTILLERY. -- Captain Backhouse's Mountain Train; Captain Blood's battery of 9-pounders (Bombay); two 18-pounders.

CAVALRY. -- Head-quarters, and two squadrons her Majesty's 3d Light Dragoons; 1st squadron 1st Light Cavalry; Captain Christie's corps of cavalry.

INFANTRY. -- Brigadier Tulloch's Brigade, with the addition of Captain Broadfoot's Sappers and Miners, and the exception of the 60th Native Infantry; Brigadier Stacey's Brigade.

These troops encamped about four miles from the town of Istaleef, on the 28th. The Affghan levies were strong and numerous, and headed by "the infamous Ameen Cola Khan Loguree, Khaojee Ameer, Khoteval, Hazin Khan (an assassin of Sir Alexander Burnes), Hazir Alle Khan, Khuleefa Kohiston." Istaleef was found to be an extremely strong position, and the Affghans had evidently deemed in inaccessible, "having retained within the town the wives and children, not only the inhabitants, but thousands of the refugees from Cabul." The troops (formed into two columns of attack and reserve) marched soon after daylight, and boldly proceeded to the attack of this difficult position. The opposition was determined, but nothing could withstand the perservering courage of our force, and the besieged were at length put to flight, and the city and its defenses won. The town was set to fire, after such supplies as it was considered would be of service to us had been removed. Our loss was trifling -- six killed and forty-five wounded. Among the former is Lieutenant Evans of her Majesty's 41st Foot; and, among the latter, Lieutenant Richardson of the Horse Artillery; Lieutenant and Adjutant Spencer, 26th Native Infantry; Lieutenant Lister, her Majesty's 9th; and Captain Broadfoot of the Sappers. Two brass field-pieces were captured from the enemy, together with a vast deal of property that had been plundered from us in 1841.

It was at first said that the above expedition was for the double purpose of seizing Akhbar Khan, and procuring supplies for the troops fat Cabul; but, from the tenor of the despatch, it is evident these were not the main objects the General had in view. That General Pollock has received orders from Lord Ellen to gain possession, if possible, of the Sirdar's person, we have little doubt; but there does not seem much likelihood of success, unless, indeed -- which is not improbable -- some traitor -- a second Salith Mahomed -- should betray him into our hands. Some writers assert that Lord Ellen will certainly have Akhbar hanged, if participation in the guilt of the massacre at Khoord-Cabul be fully proved against him. This would be no more than justice; but we do not think that his assassination of Sir W. M'naghten would be of sufficient alone to condemn him. The return of General M'caskill to Cabul was expected to take place on the 6th of October, and on the 10th it was supposed the first division of our force would march from the city; the two other divisions to follow respectively on the 12th and 14th. On the first arrival of our troops, it was thought Cabul would be left standing; and an order issued by General Pollock, prohibiting both officers and soldiers from entering the city, for fear of the inhabitants being molested, or the place injured, seemed to countenance the idea. The General's object was, however, merely to prevent the interception of supplies, which it was evident must follow the commission of any serious outrage by the soldiery. When enough provisos for the troops during their stay at Cabul, and march to Gundamuck, had been collected, the destruction of the city was commenced; and, from our most recent accounts, it appeared that the work of demolition was being actively proceeded with. The Bala Hissar, it was said, would be blown up, and the great bazaar levelled with the ground. There is a report that Futteh Jung, already tired of the cares of state, and, perhaps, apprehensive of a speedy downfall on our quitting Cabul, has determined on yielding up his briefly-held authority, and abandoning his perilous throne for a snug residence at Lodianah, and a pension of a lac or two of rupees per annum. Will the British Government give it him? Some other chiefs, too, have, it is said, expressed a similar desire to retire from the turmoil of active life, and accept our kind protection. A pretty band of pensioners shall we have if our compliance extends thus far!

Sufficient provisions, &c., for the whole of the Cabul force for five days have been collected at Gundamuck; and, at Jellalabad, enough had been collected to carry the army on to Attock, so that no apprehensions on this score need be entertained.

At Istaleef a good number of baggage-cattle were captured, and the commissariat officers at Cabul had succeeded in purchasing some hundreds of camels and mules are now available at Jellalabad, and a great many have been sent on to Gundamuck for the use of the force as it retires. Thus, our troops will be able to move with the greatest facility, and will no doubt easily overcome the very slight opposition they may expect to meet with. All has been pretty quiet at Gundamuck, with the exception of the plundering forays of the Seikh detachment stationed there. These lawless desperadoes burned to the ground, in one day, four large villages, driving the inhabitants to the hills, and seizing all the valuable property that came in their way.

The force at Jellalabad had encamped outsidethe fortress, which was to be destroyed as soon as orders arrived from the General. Sickness was prevalent. Three hundred of the Seikhs had left for Peshawaur, and preparations were making for the departure of the remainder.

The right wing of the 64th Native Infantry, stationed at Dhakka, has suffered most severely from sickness.

There has also boon much sickness at Cabul, but the officers have generally escaped. The weather, by our last advices, was becoming extremely cold, and snow had begun to fall on some of the mountains.

LORD ELLENBOBOROUGH'S PROCLAMATION. -- By a proclamation issued at Simla on the 1st October, by the Right Honourable the Governor-General, it is declared that the British army, in possession of Affghanistan, will be withdrawn to the Sutledj, and the Affghans left to choose a Sovereign for themselves, "amidst the anarchy which is the consequence of their crimes."

THE BRITISH ARMY IN AFFGHANISTAN. -- The following notification, announcing the honours Lord Ellenborough is about to confer on the brave troops who have served in Affghanistan, will be read with much interest and satisfaction. Some complaint will doubtless be made, however, respecting the donation of six months' batta, which amount can by no means be sufficient to compensate either officers or men for their losses, or to recompense them for their trials and privations:--


Simla, October 4, 1842. -- The Governor-General, earnestly desirous of evincing the gratitude of the Government of India towards the general officers, officers, and non-commissioned officers and privates, engaged in the operations of the present campaign in Affghanistan, is pleased, after communicating with his Excellency the Commander-in-Chief, to declare the following resolutions:--

1. All the general officers, officers, non-commissioned officers, and privates, serving under the command of Major-General Pollock, of Major-General Nott, and of Major-General England, between Attock and Ali Musjid, and in and above the Khyber pass, and in and above the Bolan pass, on the 8th of September, shall receive a donation of six months' batta, payable on the 1st of January, 1843.

2. In perpetual commemoration of their distinguished services, the 2d and 16th regiments of Bengal Native Infantry shall be hereafter regiments of grenadiers, and the 38th, 42d, and 43d regiments of Bengal Native Infantry shall be hereafter regiments of light infantry.

3. The Regiment of Bengal Irregular Infantry, lately known as the 3d Regiment of Infantry in the service of Shah Shoojah, shall, in consideration of the valour, discipline, and fortitude manifested by that regiment on many occasions, and especially in the defence of Kelat-i-Ghilzie, continue embodied under its present commandant, Captain J. H. Craigie, and be brought on the strength of the Bengal army as an extra regiment, and be denominated the "Regiment of Kelat-i-Ghilzie." The future establishment of the Regiment of Kelat-i-Ghilzie, and other details consequent on this resolution, will be made known in a separate order.

4. Major-General Nott will communicate to the Governor-General the designations of every corps engaged in the several actions with the enemy in the vicinity of Candahar, between the 1st of January and the 10th of August, 1842, specifying the particular actions in which such corps were engaged; and the Major-General will state which of such corps are, in his judgment, entitled to bear hereafter the word "Candahar" upon their standards or colours and appointments, in commemoration of their services.

To such corps of the Indian army as the Major-General may name, the honour of so bearing the word "Candahar" will be immediately accorded by the Governor-General.

5. The several corps of the Indian army which on the 6th of September occupied Ghuznee, and the several corps which on the 16th of September and the following days occupied Cabul, will hereafter bear upon their standards or colours and appointments the word "Ghuznee" and "Cabul" respectfully, with the figures "1842" underwritten.

The several corps under Major-General Nott, which reached Cabul subsequently to the 16th of September, will be equally entitled with the troops previously occupying that city to the honour of bearing the word "Cabul," with the figures "1842" underwritten, upon their standards or colours and appointments.

6. Major-General Pollock will communicate to the Governor-General the designations of the corps under his command, which were engaged in the operations preceding the occupation of Cabul, but did not advance to that city, and will name such of those corps as he may deem entitled to bear the word "Cabul," with the figures "1842" underwritten, upon their Standards or colours and appointments, as having contributed to the capture of that city by their previous service in this campaign; and to such corps, being on the Indian army, as the Major-General may so name, the honour of so bearing the word "Cabul" will be immediately accorded by the Governor-General.

7. To every general officer, officer, non-commissioned officer, and private, present on the occasions above-mentioned in action with the enemy, in the vicinity of Candahar, will be presented a silver medal, inscribed, "Candahar, 1842;" and to every general officer, officer, non-commissioned officer, and private, present with the army under Major-General Nott, in the operations leading to the capture of Ghuznee and the occupation of Cabul, will be presented a similar silver medal, inscribed "Ghuznee, Cabul, 1842." Where the same person shall be entitled to both distinctions, one medal only will be presented, and such medal will be inscribed "Candahar, Ghuznee, 1842." Major-General Nott will transmit to the Governor-General nominal lists of the several general officers, officers, non-commissioned officers, and privates, so entitled respectively.

8. Major-General Pollock will transmit to the Governor-General a nominal list of the general officers, officers, non-commissioned officers, and privates, present in action with the enemy, in the several operations of his army leading to the occupation of Cabul, and to every person named in such list, a silver medal will be presented, inscribed, "Cabul, 1842." On the reverse of these several medals will be inscribed the words "Victoria, Vindex."

9. To every officer, non-commissioned officer, and private, present within Kelat-i-Ghilzie, and forming part of the garrison thereof, during the late investment and blockade of that fort, will be presented a silver medal hearing a mural crown, with the super-scription of "Kelat-i-Ghilzie," and on the reverse the word "Invicta, 1842."


Domestic Intelligence


TWO MEN COMMITTED UPON A CHARGE OF CONSPIRACY TO MURDER -- Two men named John Kavanagh and James farrell of Rhanna, in this county, were arrested on the night of 20th November, by Mr. Hill, Sub-Inspector, and a party of the constabulary from New Ross, and committed to Carlow jail, on a charge of conspiracy to murder Valentine Egan, steward to Mr. Byrne of Rosemount, county Wexford. -- Carlow Sentinel.

Sir Valentine Blake, M.P., urging the eligibility of Galway for a packet station, informs Sir R. Peel the passage between North America and Galway has been effected in six days!

ABSENTEE BISHOP. -- The Lord Bishop of Tuam, eldest son of Lord Plunkett, intends, it is said, to make a stay on the Continent for the space of three years.

NEW BISHOPRIC. -- The Ecclesiastical Commissioners recommend that a new Diocese be formed -- viz., the Diocese of Manchester.

FLAGRANT DISLOYALTY OF THE DUBLIN CORPORATION. -- On Tuesday last, that worthy body, the Dublin Corporation, rejected, by a majority of 18 to 12, a resolution expressing satisfaction at the termination of hostilities in the East, and thanking the leading British officers concerned, for their services! Some shamefully disloyal sentiments were uttered in the speeches of the majority on the occasion -- which majority is termed "glorious" by the Freeman's Journal, while those who dared to rejoice in the late triumphs of British arms are denounced as "anti-Irish." If this does not verge upon treason, we are at a loss to know what does.

THE CONSTABULARY. -- His Excellency the Lord Lieutenant, at the instance of those immediately in charge of the Constabulary force, has issued an order that in future persons not previously in the Police Force in Ireland are not to be appointed to the office of Sub-Inspector. The course to be adopted is, that persons entitled top such office shall proceed to the Constabulary Depot in the metropolis, and, after passing an inspection of the surgeon of that department, will be permitted to volunteer into the reserved force as cadets. They will then be entitled to the pay of Constables, wearing the uniform of Sub-Inspectors, and occupying Sub-Inspectors' apartments; but, should a necessity arise to draft men from the reserved force into the country, they will have to do duty as Constables. When vacancies occur, they will, according to their good conduct while cadets, be promoted to be Sub-Inspectors. It is expected that the best results will follow this arrangement, the most important of which is that it will prevent inexperienced men from getting the charge of parties in the force. -- Cork Constitution.

ROBBERY OF THE CASTLECOMER MAIL. -- On Wednesday morning se'ennight, as the post-boy was proceeding from Castlecomer to Ballyragget, with the Durrow and Ballyragget mail-bags, he was stopped by two men, about two miles from Castlecomer, and deprived of the bags. They were subsequently found on a limeskin near the spot; one bag was untouched, and the other opened, but the letters sustained no injury.

DEATH OF THE COUNTESS OF HOWTH. -- This event took place on Monday, at the house of her Ladyship's mother, the Countess of Clanricarde, in Dominik Street, Dublin. She fell victim to the measles.

MATRIMONIAL AFFAIR. -- A love affair that appeared this week in the papers will find something to do for the bar. The gallant Captain Goslin, of the 84th regiment, came over from Chatham, at the desire of Miss H., to be married. The dresses were made up, and the hour fixed, when the fair one gave the Captain the slip, and went off with an old lover, a Mr. F., whom her friends had discarded. It appears that her father had left her fifty thousand pounds fortune. It is said that Captain G. is about to institute a suit for breech of promise of marriage against H---------g [sic]. -- Limerick Chronicle.

ALLEGED EMBEZZLEMEMENT AT THE CORK POST OFFICE. -- An investigation, directed by the post office authorities, took place to-day at the post office, into certain charges of embezzlement of letters, said to have been deposited in the Cork post office. Four letters, containing half-notes for £798 10s. are missing. The clerks belonging to the office underwent examinations as to the internal arrangements for conducting business, to prove that each had his own department of business, and that one never interfered with the other. From what was elicited, Captain White thought that active measures ought at once to be taken to follow up the inquiry, as, otherwise, the affair having now got abroad, the ends of justice might be defeated. The matter stands in this state at present. -- Cork Reporter of Saturday.

Mr. Pat. Lalor of Tinnakil, late M.P. for the Queen's County, is about to emigrate, with his family, to North America.

IMPORTANT POOR RATE APPEAL. -- At the Middleton Sessions, on Wednesday se'ennight, an important case was brought before the Assistant-Barrister, Mr. Baldwin, and a full bench of Magistrates. The question to be tried was -- in the present rate-books of the Guardians certain columns are left blank. These are the columns for specification of landlords' repairs, landlords' insurance, and the gross annual value column. By the 65th section of the Poor Law Act, it is contended that, under the Municipal Act it is mandatory, on the proper officers to have these columns filled up. As they have not done so, it is contended that the whole rate struck was illegal, and, if so, the question was, whether the old rate of the 22d of August should not be quashed, and a new rate struck, in books with the proper columns legally filled up. The Barrister decided that the Court had jurisdiction to entertain the matter. The case was then argued pro. and con. for six hours and a half. At the conclusion, the Barrister said -- "There is much difficulty in the case, and i am exceedingly embarrassed relative to it. I shall take time to deliver judgment, as the question is a most important one." The amount of the poor rate on which the judgment depends is £9,800.


Law Intelligence

Applications to ADMIT TO BAIL. -- An unsuccessful application was made in the Queen's Bench Chambers, Dublin, on Saturday, to admit to bail William Harrison, late master of the brig Minerva, of Carrickfergus, and now confined in our County Jail, on a charge of the homicide of one of his crew, in Belfast Lough -- an occurance recently noticed in our paper. On the same day, James Gray of Ballibay was released from Newgate, where he had been imprisoned on a charge of subornation of perjury -- on providing securities, himself of £100, and two sureties in £50 each -- the recognisances to be perfected at Petty Sessions in Castleblayney. Sam. Gray of Ballibay, who has been admitted to bail from confinement in the jail of Monaghan, where he stood charged with shooting at James Cunningham, has returned to the "York Hotel," Ballibay.


Sir William Jones, after a deliberate and long investigation, decides that the Affghans are Jews, decended from the ten tribes, and records a prediction among them, and in his time current in the East, that they are destined to re-establish the Jewish empire, under their expected Messiah, at Jerusalem.


Local Intelligence


THIS SEASON. -- A pair of swallows have been seen in this neighbourhood within the last week. In the grounds of Thomas Greg, Esq., J.P. of Ballymenoch, a thrush, a few days since, recommended its tuneful notes; and sparrows are daily observed as assiduously engaged in constructing nests as if the month was smiling May instead of bleak December. -- A Correspondent.


DEATHS FROM INTOXICATION. -- We had two deaths by intoxication here during the last week. The first victim was a young man called Meikle. Having drunk too freely of a cask of gin which was cast ashore by the tide, on Monday morning, he died that night. The second victim was Thomas Ferries of Ballycopeland. He got partially drunk in a public house on the same morning, and subsequently joined with others in trying the merits of the cheap gin. He lingered till two o'clock on Friday morning. Meikle was engaged with Ferries as a servant. They lived together; they were accustomed occasionally to get drunk together; and they departed almost together to the bar of judgment, to try whether drunkards can inherit the kingdom of God. The one has left a father and mother, and the other a wife and mother, to mourn their loss, and tremble for their fate. Will the companions of the departed drink on, in blind defiance of this awful warning? Will the communicants in the churches to which the departed professed to belong, take no means of discountenancing the spirit-drinking custom, upon which God is every day frowning his disapprobation, and upon which none but the publican, the distiller, and the drunkard can smile? -- A Correspondent.


THE LATE ATTEMPT TO ASSASSINATE FRANCIS WATSON, Esq. -- We are highly gratified to learn that twelve individuals are in custody, charged with being concerned in the recent atrocious outrage at the house of F. Watson, Esq., of Lakeview, near Lurgan (and which we were the first to make public). Informations have been sworn against these wretches (who are known to have been active in getting up the recent "Tommy Downshire" meetings), for having bound themselves by a solemn oath to murder not only Mr. Watson, but also Messrs. M'Keown, Johnston, and M'Caw, who had become obnoxious to them. The following is from our own Correspondent in Lurgan:-- "The magistrates, in conjunction with Head Constable Guthrie, of the Lurgan Police, have been very busily engaged, for the last few days, in tracing the cause and perpetrators of this disgraceful and cowardly outrage. The investigation being strictly private, nothing has yet transpired, save that twelve individuals have been committed to Bridewell, on suspicion of being concerned in it. In our next we hope to be able to communicate to the public the result of their final examination, and that a very large sum has been subscribed in Lurgan and the neighbourhood, for the same purpose; but, in our opinion, the rewards are too low to be effectual. At least £250 or £300 should have been offered."


CONFIRMED THIEF. -- Some time ago, a female named Spears was committed to Derry jail for theft, after trial at Coleraine sessions, and remained there for some months. On Friday last, her term being expired, she came back to Coleraine, and was not two hours there until she was arrested by Head Constable Jenkins, for a fresh theft. The Barrister had stated at last committal, that should she ever come again before him for the most trivial theft, he would transport her. We have heard that she has been twice in Carrickfergus jail, thrice in Derry, and also been in confinement in Belfast. -- From our Correspondent.

On Thursday last, a man named Jacob Leighton, resident in Coleraine, was severely beaten in Ballymoney market, by a man named Young, who has since been arrested. The affray arose out of some dispute respecting the pending Coleraine election. -- Ibid.


FLAX. -- It gives us great pleasure to be able to state, that the silver medal of the Royal Agricultural Society for Ireland, adjudged for the finest sample of flax, has been awarded to a farmer in this district. The fortunate grower of a flax is Mr. Andrew Gourley, of Tober O'Neill, in the parish of Lifford. The flax was sold in September last to Messrs. Herdman & Co., of Sion Mills, near Strabane; and, as they considered it the finest lot of Irish flax they had ever seen, they gave a sample to M. Demann, the Belgian agriculturist, when he visited their establishment. He exhibited it in Belfast at the general meeting of the Flax Improvement Society, and the committee awarded the medal to the grower. Mr. Gourley is a tenant on Lord Erne's estate; so that his Lordship's praise-worthy exertions appear not to have been lost on his tenantry. -- Derry Standard.


WOMAN FOUND DEAD. -- On the 17th ultimo, a woman of the name Rose M'Cormick was found lying dead on the road side, near Lisnacraig, Gortin. an inquest was held on the body, and verdict come to was, "Died of cold and fatigue."

CORN STACK BURNED. -- On the night of the 23d ultimo, a corn stack, the property of William Miller, Aghadooish, Upper Badoney, was consumed by fire. It is supposed to have been the work of an incendiary, originating from some family disputes.


Shipping Intelligence


ARRIVED, December 2. -- Tartar (steamer), Stewart, Glasgow, goods and passengers; Fanny, O'Neill, Newry, stoves; Edward and James, Cowan, Liverpool, salt; Venus, Mearns, Riga, flaxseed; Ardent, Markey, London, general cargo; Devonshire (steamer), Mills, Dublin, goods and passengers; Falcon (steamer), Gowan, Liverpool, goods and passengers. -- 4. Antelope (st.), M'Pherson, Carlisle, goods and passengers; Hope, Macferran, Liverpool, Liverpool, salt; Countess of Lonsdale (steamer), Whitehaven, goods and passengers; John and Eliza, M'Donnell, Liverpool, salt. -- 5. Ruby, Rodgers, Larne, flour; Bee, Howard, Bristol, general cargo; Octavia, Hodgson, Liverpool, salt; Adelaide, Owens, Drogheda, oatmeal. -- 6. Aurora (steamer), Anderson, Glasgow, goods and passengers; Birmingham (steamer), Church, Dublin, goods and passengers; O___once, Bowen, Smyrna, valonia?, &c.; Reindeer (steamer), Liverpool, goods and passengers. -- 7. Hope, Scott, Liverpool, salt; Alice, Preston, Liverpool, general cargo; Unity, Whitehead, Liverpool, salt.

SAILED, December 2. -- Aurora (steamer), Anderson, Glasgow, goods and passengers. -- Athlone (steamer), Davies, Liverpool, goods and passengers; Elizabeth, M'Ferran, Honfleur, yarn. -- 4. Good Design, Gunn, Wick, general cargo; Tartar (steamer), Stewart, Glasgow, goods and passengers; Devonshire (steamer), Mills, London, goods and passengers. -- Falcon (st.), Gowan, Liverpool, goods and passengers; Antelope (steamer), M'Pherson, Carlisle, goods and passengers; Countess of Lonsdale (steamer), Lamb, Whitehaven, goods and passengers; Emilia, Milero, Liverpool, fruit, &c.; William, Montgomery, Alicante, general cargo.


For Liverpool, the Athlone, Davies, to-morrow, at two o'clock afternoon.

For Dublin, the Birmingham, Church, on Wednesday, at six o'clock evening.

For Greenock and Glasgow, the Tartar, Stewart, to-day, at two o'clock afternoon.

A steam-ship sails for London, calling at Dublin, Falmouth, Plymouth, and Southampton, on Monday, at four o'clock afternoon.

For Stranraer, the Maid of Galloway, Hawell, on Tuesday, December 13, at nine o'clock morning.

For Carlisle, the Antelope, M'Pherson, on Tuesday, at four O'clock afternoon.

For Liverpool from Strangford Lough, the Hercules, Talbot, to-morrow, at three o'clock afternoon.

For Liverpool, from Derry, the Maiden City, on Friday, December 9, at twelve o'clock noon; and from Liverpool for Derry, on Tuesday, at seven o'clock morning.

For Glasgow, from Derry, the St. Columb, on Tuesday, at seven o'clock, morning; and from Glasgow for Derry, the Londonderry, on Monday, at one o'clock afternoon.

For Liverpool from Dundalk, the Finn Mac Coul, Hutcheson, on Tuesday, at six o'clock evening.


At this port from Riga, the Sisters, of Aberdeen, Gibbs, with flaxseed, hemp, mats, &c. -- Joseph Abbot, consignee.

At this port from Quebec, the Rosebank, of Belfast, Montgomery, with timber, deals, staves, lathywood, &c. -- Joseph Hind, agent; John Dunn, consignee.

At this port from Lisbon, the Faith, of Dartmouth, Wakeham, with wine, oranges, onions, corktree bark, &c. -- Richardson, Brothers, & Co., consignees.

At this port from Riga, the Venus, of Montrose, Mearns, with flaxseed, flax, and mats. -- Joseph Hind, agent.

At Elismore, 24th ultimo, the Flora, Sheilds, from Riga to this port.

At Newry from St. John, N.B., 1st instant, the Agnes and Ann, M'Farlane.


From this port for Barbadoes, 6th instant, the Emulous, of Belfast, Mackay, with a general cargo.

From Liverpool for Bombay, 4th instant, the Corea, of Belfast, Kerr.

From Liverpool for New Orleans, 5th instant, the Araminta, of Belfast.

At Valparaiso from St. Antonio, August 7th, the Martha, of Belfast, Wilson; and sailed thence on the 13th, for Sydney, N.S.W.

From Messina, for this port, 7th ultimo, the Tallyho, Rowe.

At Bristol from Liverpool, 4th instant, the Great Western steamer.


At St. John, N.B., from Derry, 24th ultimo, the Prudence, Bridgen.


From Belfast Lough, 2d instant, the Helen, Mearns, from Quebec to Portaferry.

From Beaumaris for this port, 3d instant, the Isabella, Dawson.

From North Sheilds, for this port, 2d instant, the Thomas, of Belfast.

At Ramsgate, 1st instant, the Eliza, M'Veigh, from London for Newry.


Passed Port Royal, Jamaica, October 31, the Peninghame, of Belfast, Green, from Liverpool to Vera Cruz; all well -- out forty-seven days.


DUNDEE, November 30. -- The Jay, of this port, Chapman, from Charleston, is wrecked near Elbow-end Bank; crew and part of materials saved.

WELLS, November 30. -- The Moscow, of Whitby, Wilson, which got ashore, near this place, 14th instant, has been condemned, and sold.

HALIFAX, November 7. -- The Sesostris, from Miramichi to England, was ashore near Merigonish, 3d instant.

PRINCE EDWARD'S ISLAND, November 5. -- The Eliza, of and from London, for Quebec, struck on Anticosti, 3d ultimo, and sank; three persons drowned.

QUEBEC, November 4. -- The Sir George Prevost, of Newry, Savage, Hence to Bristol;, is ashore on the rocks, at Port-au-Bassain, and a great deal of water in her hold, and must discharge, to repair.

ELSINORE, November 26. -- TheMinerva, Mitchell, from St. Petersburg to Belfast, struck on the Feroe Islands, sprang a leak, and was abandoned, in a sinking state; crew saved.

LOSS OF H.M.S. "FORMIDABLE" -- BARCELONA, Nov. 30. -- The British ship of war Formidable, of 84 guns, has been wrecked yesterday, near the mouth of the Llobregat -- crew and part of materials saved. The steam-frigate Geyser was sent this morning, to take her off the sand-bank on which she is imbedded; her success is uncertain.

CRONSTADT, November 16. -- The gale of last night appears to have cleared the channel of ice entirely, as none is to be seen from hence; towards the north there is still ice along the shore. Of the ships that sailed, six have returned and brought up off the London Chest. The Xenophon, bound to Hull, has again put to sea.

HAMBURG, November 29. -- The light ship at Schuiden has returned to her station. The weather has been milder for the last three days, with frequent fogs, and the ice is very much dispersed. Wind to-day W.

ARCHANGEL, November 3. -- The Dwina was covered with ice last night, and the White Sea has been interupted.

NIEU DIEP, November 29. -- The British schooner, Richmond, from Rio de la Hatch to Amsterdam, with a cargo of dyewood went ashore near the lighthouse of Ryduin, last night, and is high and dry; the materials are being landed; the masts have been cut away, and it is hoped the cargo may be saved; the ship is reported to have gone to pieces.

WEYMOUTH, December 2. -- A figure-head, representing a rifleman, (but the head broken off) with a green coat trimmed with gold lace, the rifle broken, and red small-clothes (supposed to belong to a ship called the Rifleman), has come ashore here.

BRISTOL, December 3. -- The Nora Creina steamer ran foul of the Active, from Bridgewater, in the river last night, and both received considerable damage.

The wreck of a brig with topmast gone, and nearly under water, with a launen on deck, and a dead body floating near, is reported to have been passed off the Cape of Good Hope.

PILLAU, November 22. -- It has blown a continued gale from W. to N. for the last two days. The Caroline Marie, from Konigsberg, which was near Perse, has been got off.

STEETIN, November 27. -- The navigation of the river is stopped by ice. The weather has been very mild since yesterday.

Put into Tobermory, 1st instant, the Hope, M'Millan, from Larne to Fisherrow, making much water, and was hauled on the beach to repair.

BERWICK, December 2. -- The Corinth, Thompson, from Sheilds to Alemouth, has been driven ashore on Holy Island, bottom up, and with the greater part of the cargo washed out; crew supposed to be drowned.

ELSINORE, November 29. -- The Elizabeth, Gibson, from Dantzic to London, struck on Falsterbo Reef, 25th instant, and is expected to become a wreck; cargo expected to be saved.

The Belvedere, of Belfast, Stephenson, from Bombay to Macao, with a cargo of cotton and opium, valued at £75,000, was destroyed by fire, at Singapore, early in October. -- Shipping Gazette. [This fine vessel, the property of Mr. T. G. Folingsby and others, was about three years old, and registered 608 tons. She has been upwards of two years in the East India trade. Her commander was an experienced navigator. One account states that she had pearls, value for a large amount, on board, and that she was insured for £100,000.]

COLTORSAY, ISLAND OF ISLAY, November 29. -- The Aisthorpe, Warwick, from St. John, New Brunswick, to Dundalk, in coming into Lochindaul, last night, struck on a rock, and became so leaky that she was obliged to be run aground.

BRIDPORT, December 4. -- A leg of a table, handsomely carved, parts of two paddle-boxes, and a piece of board, apparently the cover of a box, marked on the top in white paint "L. Liverpool F.," have been washed ashore near this.

ALEXANDRIA, November 21. -- The John and Ann, of Belfast, Houler, which left Malta on the 27th October, was wrecked on the evening of the 1st November, about 250 miles to the westward of this port, having struck on some sunken rocks, about three or four miles distant from the shore. The masts immediately went overboard; one of the ship's boats was washed overboard, and the other was so much damaged as to be rendered unfit for sea. One of the sailors attempted to swim ashore on a plank, but has not since been heard of. The others (master, mate, and four men) prepared a raft, which was launched, but almost immediately broken to pieces by the sea; another was got ready, and on this they managed to reach the shore, all safe. They had scarcely, however, been any time on land, before they were seen by a tribe of Bedouins, who attacked and plundered them of almost everything they had, even of their clothes. They wandered about for two days and nights, and at last reached another encampment of Bedouins, were they were most hospitably received, and got something to eat and drink; but the master, a man of seventy, was so overcome by the fatigue of his previous wanderings, that he died of exhaustion. A few of the tribe having volunteered to conduct them to Alexandria, they borrowed camels from the others, and arrived here on the 19th instant. The mate and sailors have each received a suit of clothes from the Consulate, and are lodged at a low Greek coffee-house, at the expense of the British Government. [The above vessel was the property of Mr. John Hanlon of this town, and registered 120 tons.]

STEAM-BOAT ACCIDENT. -- On Friday night, the Devonshire steamer, belonging to the British and Irish Steam-packet Company, was proceeding from Dublin to Belfast, when she met the Eclipse steam-boat, from Strangford to Wexford, and a fearful collision took place between them. The Devonshire is a powerful vessel, and was bearing down with full steam up, when she was discovered by the Eclipse, which is small, although very stout. Her captain cried to the steersman to put his helm a-port; but, in a moment after, the stern of the Devonshire struck his bowsprit, having come in contact with the foremast of the Eclipse, smashed it across and it fell with a tremendous crash near where the captain was standing. After the first collision at the stern, it appeared that a second took place at the other end, for the taffrail, wheel, and rudder of the Eclipse are smashed into fragments. Her hull, however, escaped almost miraculously, and she was towed up the next morning to Sir John Rogerson's quay. She had on board eight or ten passengers, and two of the crew of the Echo, which was wrecked at the North Rocks, on the coast of Down. -- Morning Register.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

NOTICE TO MARINERS. -- LOUISBURG LIGHT, ON CAPE BRETON ISLAND. -- A light-house has been erected on the eastern side of the entrance of Louisburg, sixty fathoms in shore, in lat. 54. N., and long. 59. 50.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

The insurance offices calculate, that of the immense sacrifice of life in the baking trade, the average age of those engaged in the trade does not exceed thirty-three years.


^ top of page

The Banner of Ulster - Friday, 16 December, 1842


On the 12th inst., at the house of Mr. Samuel Frackelton of Banbridge, by the Rev. Robt. Anderson, Mr. HUGH RIPPARD of Liverpool, to MARGARET, daughter of the late Mr. William Frackleton of Dromore.

On the 8th inst., by the Rev. Joseph M'Kee of Killead, Mr. ALEXANDER BELL of Carnahales, to Miss ELIZA BELL of Kilcross.

On the 6th inst., by the Rev. Verner M'White of Donaghadee, Mr. ALEXANDER LEMMON of Millview, to Miss ABIGAIL BROWN of Sluiceview, Loughorne.


On the 9th inst., at Mullaghance, Castleblayney, FANNY, the beloved wife of Mr. Moses Woods, Jun., aged twenty-three. In her were blended the meekness and patience of the saint, with the enriching joys of the Gospel of Christ, and the blessed hope of a glorious inheritance. "She is not dead but sleepeth."


Domestic Intelligence


SAD EFFECTS OF LOVE. -- On Friday, a young women named Catherine Dunne, a servant in the employment of Mr. Robert Sullivan, at Philipstown, was discovered drowned in the canal, near the bridge, in that town.It is supposed that the unfortunate girl committed the rash act herself, and the only cause assigned for her doing so is, that some time previous to the day she was missing, she and her lover had some misunderstanding, the cause of which has not transpired. -- Leinster Express.

IRISH OFFICERS IN CHINA AND INDIA. -- Sir Hugh Gough, whose command of the British force in China has been one scene of victory and triumph, is son of the late Lieutenant-Colonel Gough, of the City of Limerick Militia, and commenced his military career in that regiment in 1793. As major in the 87th (or Faugh-a-Ballaghs) he commanded that gallant corps as the memorable battle of Talavera, where the 87th captured a French Eagle, andhe was severely wounded. His gallantry during the siege of Cadiz was so conspicuous, that Sir Thomas Graham (now Lord Lynedoch) honoured him with brevet rank from the date of his despatches, being the first instance of the kind which occurred in the British army. On the 31st of December, 1811, Lieutenant-Colonel Gough repulsed, at Tarifa, with his eight companies, 500 strong, no less than 1,800 picked troops, who assaulted a breach. A general order, on this occasion, spoke of his conduct as "surpassing all praise," and the Prince Regent ordered the word "Tarifa" to be thereafter imprinted on the regiment's colours. He next commanded at Vittoria, where the 87th lost half its number. On this occasion he was honoured with the thanks of the brave Picton, and received a third medal of distinction. He commanded at the battle of Nivelle, and was severely wounded. On this occasion he was honoured with the cross, and officers of the regiment presented him with a valuable vase. Lieutenant-Colonel Taylor, 9th regiment, who has so distinguished himself at Affghanistan, is brother of J.B. Taylor Esq., Cranbrook, Fermanagh. -- Morning Chronicle.


Local Intelligence


SERIOUS ACCIDENT. -- On Tuesday night last, as a gentleman of Lisburn was returning from the residence of a friend, where he had been spending the evening, in the vicinity of the town, at an angle of the road he fell into a large pool of water, and narrowly escaped drowning. In consequence of the darkness of the night, and the depth of mud in the bottom of the pool, he could not have extricated himself but for the very kind attention of Dr. George Kennedy, who providentially happened to be passing that way, and, with much exertion, released him from his perilous situation. The attention of the authorities should be called to the unprotected state of that part of the road, which, in common with many similar pitfalls, is kept in a disgraceful condition.


ROBBERY IN OMAGH -- CAUTION TO SHOPKEEPERS. -- On the night of Monday week, or early next morning, a shutter was dexterously removed from the shop window of Mr. Dawson Bell, watchmaker, and a large number of new and other watches were abstracted, by breaking a pane of glass and taking them off the hooks, where they had been incautiously left hanging. Fortunately, next day, a person of the name of M'Ghee was, through the praiseworthy activity of Chief Constable King, of the Fintona Constabulary, taken into custody there. He had effected the sale of two watches, for trifling sums, when King heard of it -- followed him a little way out of the town, and took him into custody on suspicion. On searching his person, twelve watches were discovered tied round M'Ghee's waist; and on his being brought to Omagh, on his way to jail, it was found that they were the watches of which Mr. Bell had been robbed, and all of which were recovered. He was fully committed for trial. -- Derry Standard.


THE OAK -- CURIOUS EXPERIMENT. -- Take an acorn at his time of the year, tie a string round it in such a way that, when suspended, the blunt end of the acorn, where the cup was, is upwards.Hang it, thus prepared, in the inside of a bottle, or hyacinth glass, containing a little water, taking care that the acorn does not reach the water within ann inch; wrap the bottle all over in flannel, so as to keep it dark and warm place. In three or four weeks the acorn will have swollen, its coat will have burst, and a little white point will make its appearance at the end opposite the water. This point is the root; the acorn is now changing its nature and becoming an oak; still, however, it must be stationed in the dark, still it must be kept clear of the water, and so it must continue till the young root is at least half an inch long. Then the water may be allowed to rise higher; but it is only when from the neck of the root a little point begins to turn upwards that it is safe to allow the water to touch it.At that time the acorn has ceased to be an acorn, and has really become a young oak; for the little point directing itself upwards is the beginning of that trunk which, a century later, may form the timber of a frigate. As soon as this young stem begins to shoot, the oak will require a dose of light, a little every day; and it also yearns for more food, so that its root, which is, in reality, its mouth, must be allowed to touch the water, and to drink it. After these events have come to pass, the little creature breathes, and must have air; digests, and must have light; sucks greedily, and must have fresh water given to its root, which, however, should never be permitted to be wholly covered; just that point where the stem begins should always be kept out of the water. The pet having been brought to this its fast state of existence, must be put in the window. At first it will be a stout thread, whitish, and covered with tiny scales; then the scales will expand a little, and the end will become greener. Next will appear some little leaves; hair will begin to grow; veins will branch; the old scales will fall off; and, by slow degrees, the leaves will arrange themselves upon the stem, each unfolding from the bosom of the other. -- Gardener's Chronicle.


Shipping Intelligence


ARRIVED, December 10. -- Aurora (steamer), Anderson, Glasgow, goods and passengers; Royal William (st.), Swinson, Dublin, goods and passengers; Falcon (st.), Gowan, Liverpool, goods and passengers; Mersey, Malcolm, Liverpool, salt; Robert, Mulligan, Runcorn, salt; Emilie, M'Crea, Liverpool, salt; Countess of Lonsdale (steamer), Lamb, Whitehaven, goods and passengers. -- 11. Ruby, Rodgers, Larne, flour; Betsey, Allen, Derry, general cargo; Wardlow, M'Nally, Liverpool, salt. -- 12. Margaret, M'Allister, Liverpool, salt; Incentive, Hopkick, Plymouth, general cargo. -- 13. Maid of galloway (st.), Haswell, Stranraer, goods and passengers; Birmingham (st.), Church, Dublin, goods and passengers; Tartar (steamer), Stewart, Glasgow, goods and passengers; Reindeer (steamer), Head, Liverpool, goods and passengers; Dolphin, Humphries, Newcastle, general cargo; Carrywell, Buchanan, Liverpool, salt.

SAILED, December 9. -- Tartar (steamer), Stewart, Glasgow, goods and passengers; Jeannies, Delargy, Glasgow, potatoes. -- 10. Mary Ann, Bond, Fleetwood, general cargo; Athlone (steamer), Davies, Liverpool, goods and passengers. -- 12. Bulwark, Templeton, Liverpool, tow; Aurora (steamer), Anderson, Glasgow, goods and passengers; Royal William (steamer), Swainson, London, goods and passengers. -- 13. Maid of Galloway (st.), Haswell, Stranraer, goods and passengers; Earl of Lonsdale (steamer), Thompson, Whitehaven, goods and passengers; Falcon (steamer), Gowan, Liverpool, goods and passengers.


For Liverpool, the Athlone, Davies, to-morrow, at eight o'clock evening.

For Dublin, the Birmingham, Church, on Wednesday, at twelve o'clock noon.

For Greenock and Glasgow, the Tartar, Stewart, on Wednesday, at six o'clock evening.

A steam-ship sails for London, calling at Dublin, Falmouth, Plymouth, and Southampton, on Monday, at nine o'clock evening.

For Stranraer, the Maid of Galloway, Haswell, on Tuesday, December 27, at nine o'clock morning.

For Liverpool, from Warrenpoint, the Hercules, Tallan, to-morrow, at eight o'clock evening.

For Liverpool, from Strangford Lough, the Eclipse, on Thursday, at two o'clock afternoon.

For Liverpool, from Newry, the Ballinasloe, Davis, to-morrow, at eight o'clock evening; and from Liverpool for Newry, on Wednesday, December 21, at one o'clock afternoon.

For Liverpool, from Derry, the Maiden City, on Friday, December 16, at eight o'clock morning; and from Liverpool for Derry, on Tuesday, 20th, at seven o'clock morning.


At Larne from Quebec, 9th instant, the Chieftain, of that port, Legate, with a cargo of timber, deals, staves, hides, and flour. -- Alexander & James Smyth, owners and consignees.

At Derry from Quebec, 12th instant, the Marchioness of Abercorn, Hegarty, with timber, &c.

At Liverpool from Harve, 10th instant, the Stewart, of Belfast, Chicknell.


From this port for New Orleans, on Saturday, the Josepha, of Belfast, Leitch, with a general cargo.

From Dublin for Savannah, 6th instant, the Brothers of Newry, Daniels.

From Newport for Bermuda, 8th instant, the Ayrshire, of Newry, M'Kay.

Passed Fraserburgh, 7th instant, the Lord Melbourne, Robertson, from Newry to London; eight days out.

From Falmouth for the West Indies, 9th instant, the City of Glasgow, Royal West India mail steamer.


At New Orleans from Liverpool, 13th ultimo, the Lord Seaton, of Belfast, Fitzsimons.

In the roads, at Madras, October 19, the Amelia Mulholland, of Belfast, Evans.

At Dunkirk from this port, 1st instant, the Royal Victoria, M'Ferran.

At North Shields from Ostend, 10th instant, the Temperance of Belfast, Coey.

At Liverpool from this port, 10th instant, the Wargaret [sic], Evans.


From Monte Video for Colonia, September 24, the Millman, of Belfast, Blayne.


At London for this port, 10th instant, the Iris, of Belfast, Gibson.


At Glasgow for Monte Video and Buenos Ayres, the Sea-Nymph, of Belfast, Barclay.


GALWAY, December 7. -- The Factor, Elliot, bound to London, got foul of the Lord Fitzgerald, in running to the roads, and went on the rocks, at Kenmare Point, but is expected off next tide.

RANDAS, December 2. -- The Tenance, Welsh, from St. Petersburg to London, is stranded near this port, and is not expected to be got off; crew saved; materials expected to be saved. The Crigicoar, Lindsay, from St. Petersburg to London, came ashore at Hanstead Strand on the morning of the 29th; crew and materials saved.

BARCELONA, December 2. -- H.M.S. Formidable, which was ashore at the mouth of the Siobiegat, has been towed off by two French steamers, and is now at anchor in the roads.

BOMBAY, October 30. -- The Christina, Birkett, from Macao to this port, struck on the West London Shoal, on the night of the 1st July, and became a total wreck.

LOSS OF THE SHIP "BELVIDERE," OF BELFAST. -- The following has been received by Mr. T. G. Folingsby, of this town:-- "Singapore, 6th October, 1842. -- DEAR SIR, -- We regret to inform you, that your ship, the Belvidere, Captain Stephenson, when about getting under weigh, this morning, was discovered to be on fire; but how it originated is not known.The ship has been run on shore, with the view of saving as much of the cargo as possible; but we fear that will not be much. There is not the slightest prospect of the vessel being saved."

The Liverpool, Ord, was totally wrecked in the Yangtse River (China), 6yh August.

The brig Lord Russell, Alexander, from Newcastle to Sligo, was stranded, at Dunwardly, on Sunday last; crew saved.

BOWMORE, ISLAY, December 7. -- The Aisthorpe, Warwick, from St. John's, N.B., to Dundalk, has been got off, and moored in three fathoms of water. The Lucy, Henderson, from Westport to London, put in on the 2d instant with loss oftopsail and topgallantsail.

HARTLEPOOL, December 11. -- The schooner Isabella, of Oudenard (a small port near Perth), sank on the morning of the 10th November last, with all hands, having been in contact with the brig Integrity, of this port.

ST. UBES, December 3. -- The Wexford, Slattery, from Newport to Malta, in coming into this port, during a gale on the 29th ultimo, struck on a sandbank, inside the bar, and was driven on the rocks, outside the harbour, where she remains fast; crew and materials saved.

FIGUEIRA, December 1. -- Part of the cargo of the Chatham, from London to Sydney, N.S.W., wrecked at San Pedro, has been saved; the vessel is full of water.


DAYS OF SAILING PACKET-BOATS. -- Mails are despatched from London, every Saturday, for Lisbon, Madeira, Spain, Gibraltar. Twice every month for Malta, Greece and Corfu. Last day in each month, for Egypt and India. First Tuesday in each month, for Madeira, Brazil, and Buenos Ayres. First Wednesday in each month for America. The New York packet-ships of the Liverpool line sail on the 1st, 7th, 13th, 19th, and 25th of every month. Those of the London line, on the 1st, 10th, and 20th of each month.1st and 15th of every month, for British colonies in West Indies (except Honduras), foreign colonies in West Indies and Madeira. 1st of every month, for Mexico, Honduras, Chagres, Carthagena, Santa Martha, Laguarya, and Puerto Cabello.3d and 18th of every month, for British North America, Bermuda, and United States -- except in December, January, February, and March, and then only on the 3d. [When the 3d or 18th occurs on a Sunday, the mails are not despatched till the day following.]From August to January inclusive the packet touches at Pernambusco and Bahia, on her outward passage to Rio Janeiro, and the other six months, on her homeward passage.


^ top of page

The Banner of Ulster - Friday, 23 December, 1842


On the 13th instant, at Rose Cottage, Ahoghill, the Lady of the Rev. F. Buick, of a Son.

On the 10th inst., Lady JOHN RUSSELL, of a Son and heir.

Lately, at a cottage on Pennycraig farm, near Tregaron, Wales, the wife of David Jones, miner, of four male children, who appeared to be healthy and strong, but all died the following day.


On the 12th inst., at the residence of the bride's father, by the Rev. Robt. Torrens, Presbyterian Minister of Churchtown, Mr. MATTHEW LOVE of Lovestown, county Antrim, to MARTHA, daughter of James Anderson, Esq., of Curragh, county Derry.

On the 14th inst., at All Souls' Church, Langham Place, London, Sir CHARLES DES VOEUX, to CECILIA PAULET, daughter of the Marquis of Winchester.

On the 28th instant, in Banbridge Church, by the Rev. Daniel Dickinson, Mr. ROBERT GRACEY, Prince's Street, Belfast, to LEAH, youngest daughter of the late Thomas Martin, Mill Mount, near Banbridge.

At Aghagallon, on the 21st instant, the Rev. JOHN MONTGOMERY, Presbyterian minister of Glenwherry, to JANE, youngest daughter of the late Launcelot Turtle, Esq.

On the 19th December, by the Rev. Hugh M'Cay, Ballysillan, Mr. SAMUEL TITLEY, Shrewsbury, England, to SARAH, youngest daughter of Mr. Joseph Shanks, Ligoniel.


Suddenly, at Mottalee, near Magherafelt, on the 30th ult., Widow HAMILTON, formerly NANCY BENDERMAN, having completed her 104th year. Her understanding to the last was very little impaired, her hearing and her eye-sight also are good -- considerably better than they had been thirty years before -- never at anytime did she find it necessary to wear glasses. She had been for several months been unable, without assistance, to move from where she was placed, though free from pain and every disease, save the infirmity of years. She had no previous sickness, but was apparently in her usual state when she departed life, without a visible struggle.

On the 14th instant, rather suddenly, Mrs. JAMES ARTHUR, King's Arms Hotel, Dundalk.

On the 15th instant, at South Quay, Drogheda, on Thursday, ANNA, third daughter of the late Thomas Boylan, Esq., Merchant.


Domestic Intelligence


DEATH OF A CONVICT. -- Robert Moir (formerly a merchant), who was convicted before the High Court of Justiciary at Edinburgh, last week, for fraudulent bankruptcy, and sentenced to transportation, has since died from the effects of an illness under which he had been labouring for some time before his trial.

MURDER. -- We regret to be called upon to record a case of murder, similar to that for which, some years ago, so many individuals suffered in this city -- the murder of a wife by her husband. On Sabbath morning, Charles Mackay, a ham-curer, in the employment of a provision merchant in Glasgow, had been drinking, in company with his wife, in a dram-shop in the lower part of the town, and some dispute afterwards took place between them in their lodgings at the foot of the Old Wynd, in a house occupied by a woman named Tenney or M'Kenzie. At two o'clock, while a number of people were in the house, and when his wife was standing at a window, Mackay laid hold of a sharp-pointed knife,and, making a violent attack upon her, stabbed her, inflicting a wound of great depth, which caused the blood to flow profusely. A surgeon was instantly called, but, notwithstanding every effort made in her behalf, the woman died within an hour and a half after the wound had been inflicted. -- Witness.

MELANCHOLY EVENT. -- On Friday morning, about eight o'clock. the body of James Gearns, coachman to Alexander Earle Menteith, Esq., Sheriff of Fifeshire, was found drowned in the north corner of the harbour of Portabello. -- Ibid.

On the night of Monday week, it being extremely dark and stormy, an old man named John Blackhall, parish of Gladsmuir, had, on his way home, to pass through a part of the woods, in the darkness of which it is supposed he had lost his way, and perished in course of the night. The body was not found until the Friday following. -- Ibid.


OUTRAGEOUS MURDER NEAR MILLTOWN, COUNTY DUBLIN. -- The body of a young man, whose name is at present unknown, was found on Saturday morning, between six and seven o'clock, at the lime-kiln at Classon's Bridge, Milltown. The throat was cut from ear to ear, and the body otherwise mutilated. The feet were burned, and had other marks of violence. The spot where the deceased was found is not far from the spot where Garlibardo, the Italian boy, was murdered. -- Saunders.


Local Intelligence


MELANCHOLY SUICIDE. -- On Wednesday week, a man named White, residing at Macphin, near this town, put an end to his exsistance under very melancholy circumstances. He had been considered of unsound mind; and the death of his mother, combined with some matters arising out of the disposal of some of her effects, had strongly affected his feelings. He left the house on the day mentioned, and search was made for him that evening without effect; but on the following morning his body was discovered in a well adjoining the house, quite dead. -- A Correspondent.

MORE WATCH STEALING. -- On Monday last, a man named Miller, living at Deepstown, between Coleraine and Dervock, called at the shop of Mr. James Keith, watchmaker, Coleraine, inquiring for a watch. One, value £5, being shown him, he stated that a brother of his had obtained one of the same kind (he here gave his name as Thomson) and that he would pay the price on the following Wednesday; if not, he would return it, and left the shop.The fellow then called at Mr. Gilmor's, watchmaker, and giving his name as M'Afee, obtained, on almost similar pretences, a still more valuable article, and then went home.Gilmor, having suspected something, inquired into the matter; and, accompanied by Head-Constable Jenkins and a sub-constable, in coloured clothes, proceeded early on Tuesday morning to Miller's residence and found that he was not in bed (although the bed was empty it was yet warm, which heightened their suspicion).On removing part of the boarding of the floor they found the thief secreted, in a place evidently planned for the purpose. They also were led to the place where the watches lay by the ticking, and, having obtained them, brought the thief and the goods to Coleraine, lodging the former in bridewell. The relatives of Miller, on a former trial for stealing shoes, exactly a twelvemonth ago, from the shop of Mr. Groves, Coleraine, made out that he was insane; but we believe that this will not now excuse him.He was under arrest for stealing a cow some time ago, and was also under bail to appear at next Bushmills Petty Sessions for forgery, when the above occurrence took place. -- Ibid.


HERRINGS IN LOUGH FOYLE. -- On Sunday evening a shoal of herrings, of large size, set into Lough Foyle, accompanied by hake, which is considered a good sign of their remaining. Unfortunately, only one boat was in readiness to take advantage on the following morning of their arrival. So abundant were they, that she was speedily filled with a cargo, which sold in our market at 4s. per hundred. -- Londonderry Journal.


AWFULLY SUDDEN DEATH. -- Another to the many instances on record of the uncertainty of life occurred at Magherafelt, on Tuesday night last. The subject of this sudden change from time to eternity was the Rev. Thomas Burgoyne, an exemplary and respected clergyman of the Established Church, and son of the late Sir John J. Burgoyne of Strabane. On the evening of the day in question, he and his lady arrived at Mr. M'Fall's Hotel, in Magherafelt, where they intended stopping for the night. It appears that he had been complaining, for some time previously, of what he conceived to be a cold; but, on that evening, he felt tolerably well, and was quite cheerful in his manner, and retired to rest without manifesting any symptoms of indisposition. About twelve o'clock at night, however, he was taken dangerously ill, and two of the resident doctors were immediately called in, who used every exertion to repel the attack, but in vain -- he expired about three o'clock A.M. -- Correspondent of Derry Sentinel.


Shipping Intelligence


ARRIVED, December 16. -- Phoenix, Roddy, Liverpool, salt; Jessie M'Clew, M'Clements, Liverpool, salt; Highland Chief, M'Millan, Messina, general cargo. -- 17. Antelope (steamer), M'Pherson, Carlisle, goods and passengers; Duke of Cornwall (steamer), Mills, Dublin, goods and passengers; Tartar (steamer), Stewart, Glasgow, goods and passengers; Falcon (steamer), Gowan, Liverpool, goods and passengers. -- 18. Robert Starret, Richardson, Killough, grain; Herald, Simbury, Liverpool, salt; Royal Victoria, M'Ferran, Dunkirk, flax, &c. -- 19. Minerva, M'Keown, Strangford, grain; Victory, Williams, Newry, stones. -- 20. Earl of Lonsdale (steamer), Thompson, Whitehaven, goods and passengers; Camrian, O'Neill, Wicklow, sulphur; her Majesty's tender Liverpool, from sea; Reindeer (st.), Head Liverpool, goods and passengers; Ruby, Rodgers, Larne, flour.

SAILED, December 17. -- Aurora (steamer), Anderson, Glasgow, goods and passengers; Athlone (steamer), Davies, Liverpool, goods and passengers. -- 19. Princess Victoria, Witherspoon, Liverpool, timber; tartar (st.), Stewart, Glasgow, goods and passengers; Duke of Cornwall (steamer), Mills, Dublin, goods and passengers. -- 20. Falcon (steamer), Gowan, Liverpool, goods and passengers; Earl of Lonsdale (steamer), Lamb, Whitehaven, goods and passengers.


For Liverpool, the Athlone, Davies, to-morrow, at one o'clock afternoon.

For Dublin, the Birmingham, Church, on Wednesday, at five o'clock evening.

For Greenock and Glasgow, the Tartar, Stewart, on Wednesday, at five o'clock evening.

A steam-ship sails for London, calling at Dublin, Falmouth, Plymouth, and Southampton, on Monday, at three o'clock afternoon.

For Stranraer, the Maid of Galloway, Haswell, on Tuesday, December 27, at nine o'clock morning.

For Liverpool, from Warrenpoint, the Hercules, Tallan, to-morrow, at one o'clock afternoon.

A steamer sails from Drogheda, for Liverpool, on Monday, at eleven o'clock forenoon.

For Liverpool, from Derry, the Maiden City, on Friday, December 23, at eleven o'clock forenoon; and from Liverpool for Derry, on Tuesday, 27th, at seven o'clock morning.

For Liverpool, from Newry, the Ballinasloe, Davies, to-morrow, at one o'clock after noon.

For Liverpool, from Dundalk, the Fin Mac Coul or the Glasgow, on Tuesday, at five o'clock evening.

For Halifax and Boston, from Liverpool, the Caledonia, Lott, on 4th January.


At this port from Dunkirk, 18th instant, the Royal Victoria, of Belfast, M'Ferran, with a cargo of flax, fruit, wine, &c. -- P.L. Munster, consignee. This vessel made the voyage out in six days, and home in five days.

In the Clyde from Antigua, 14th instant, the James Hunt, of Belfast, Stewart, in forty-two days.

At Palermo from Naples, 21st ultimo, the James Duncan, of Belfast, Heslop.

Put into Stromness, 5th instant, the Flora, Shields, from Riga to this port.

At liverpool from Halifax and Boston, 16th instant, the Acadia steamer, Ryrie.

At Liverpool from Jamaica, the Eliza Ann, of Belfast, Bell.

At Liverpool from St. John, N.B., 18th instant, the New Zealand, of Newry, Bannerman.

Put into Stromness, 9th instant, the Splendid, Dishon, from Riga to Newry.

At Elisnore, 13th instant, the Conservative, of Belfast, Carey, from Riga to this port.


At New Orleans from Liverpool, 20th ultimo, the Dumfriesshire, of Belfast, Gowan, in forty-three days.

At Halifax from Liverpool, 4th ultimo, the Columbia steamer, Miller

At New York from Liverpool, 25th instant, the Stephen Whitney.

At New York from Liverpool, 25th ultimo, the Southerner.

At Demerara from this port, 20th October, the Rebecca, of Belfast, Bracegirdle.

At Langhope, 4th inst., the Speck, of Belfast, Sullivan, from Liverpool to Newcastle.

At Scrabster Roads, 13th instant, the Harmony, of Belfast, Finlayson, from this port to Wick.


From Smyrna for Liverpool, 29th ultimo, the Zuleika, Holmes.


From Kingstown for New South Wales, on Tuesday, the North Briton, with 179 convicts and one free settler on board.

From Falmouth for the West Indies, 17th instant, the Solway, Royal West India mail steamer.

From Dunkirk for Liverpool, 14th instant, the Gem, of Belfast, Humphries.


At Genoa for Liverpool, 17th October, the Martha, of Belfast, Wilson.

At Liverpool for Barbadoes, the John, of Belfast, Black.

At Liverpool for Africa, the Marquis of Abercorn.

At Liverpool for Maderia, the Wm. Carson, Young.


At Liverpool for New York, 15th instant, the Garrick, Skiddy.


The Victoria, of Belfast, M'Mahon, for New Orleans, 11th ultimo, in lat. 21. 36., long. 61. 50. W., twenty-three days out; all well.


Captain Rowe, of the Hope, of and from Glasgow, fro Liverpool, windbound in Belfast Lough, was drowned on Wednesday night se'ennight, in Whitehouse Roads, when going to vessel, the boat having swamped.

The Thomas Gelston, of Belfast, Bulla, from Miramichi to this port, put into Bowmore, Isaly, 15th instant,through stress of weather, loss of sails, and other damage.

RAMSEY, ISLE OF MAN, December 14. -- The Columbine, from Glasgow to Liverpool, was run ashore, near here, this morning, having sprung a leak, but is expected off, without damage. The Henrietta, of this port, hence to Liverpool, has been out four weeks, and has not been heard of.

MILFORD, December 14. -- The John and Marianne, Davies, from Bangor to Swansea, was wrecked at the entrance of Salvo harbour, 12th instant; crew and materials saved.

MARGATE, December 24. -- The Trinidad, from Honduras, was fallen in with 1st instant, about 130 miles to the northward of St. Michael's, with decks swept, loss of sails, &c., and six feet water in the hold, and the crew taken off.

CHRISTIANSAND, December 5. -- A great part of the wool from the Manchester has been saved, and a small quantity of hemp.The Lion, from Wyburg to Hull, was stranded to the eastward of this port, 2d instant, and has become a wreck; crew saved.Part of the cargo has been washed out, but the greater portion of the remainder is expected to be saved.

SLIGO, December 15. -- The Louisa Connolly, Kirkpatrick, is ashore on the bar of Ballyshannon, and expected to become a wreck; crew saved.

WEXFORD, December 15. -- The Vermont, from Savannah to Liverpool, went ashore in Ballyteague Bay, this morning; crew saved.

ANOTHER STEAM-BOAT LOST. -- The Cincinnati Gazette. of the 24th instant, says:-- :By the Celia, which arrived yesterday, from St. Louis, we learn that the steam-boat Nonpareil has been snagged, at the 'Grave Yard,' on the Mississippi, and will prove a total loss. she had on board 1,000 pigs of lead, for Pittsburgh, of which about 700 were saved."

St. MICHAEL'S, December 3. -- It blew a gale at N.W. 26th and 27th November, and S.W. on the 29th and 30th. Of twenty British vessels lying here before the gale, only fifteen have returned, and it is feared there has been some loss, as several hatchways have been seen floating at sea.

MONTROSE, December 16. -- The Mary Dawson, of Belfast, which was ashore in the Bay, 12th instant, has become a wreck; cargo saved, in a damaged state.

A large three-masted vessel was seen, 15th instant, about five miles north of Point Lynas, with her bows just above the water.

CUSHENDALL, December 14. -- The sloop Charlotte Newman, of Islandmagee, M'Ilwaine, bound to Larne, with coals, has been driven in on Cushendall strand, opposite Mr. Black's house; crew saved, and the vessel but little damaged.

SWANSEA, December 17. -- The Brazilian, from Havre to Port-au-Prince, got on the Patch Sandbank, at the entrance of Neath harbour, last night, and is expected to become a wreck; crew and part of cargo saved.

ANTIGONISH, November 17. -- The LAdy Wood, Malony, from Orwell to Bedeque, struck on a sunken rock, off Cape Formentine, and filled; crew saved.

BUENOS AYRES, October 17. -- The Isabella, from Liverpool to Calcutta, was abandoned, 30th ultimo, very leaky, and with ten feet water in her hold; crew saved arrived safe at Palma.

-- -- -- -- --

NOTICE TO MARINERS. -- A despatch has been received at Lloyd's (where it can be seen), from the foreign Office, dated December 14, containing a list of signals to be observed by merchant vessels entering the port of Riga.


Military and Naval Affairs.

The Army.

ORDNANCE DEPARTMENT. -- Colonel Lewis, of the Royal Engineers, has been appointed to succeed Colonel Holloway in the command of the Engineer Department in Ireland.Lieutenant-Colonel G.F. Thompson, of the Royal Engineers, has been appointed to succeed Lieutenant-ColonelBlanshard in the Belfast district, the latter officer having been ordered on foreign service. Station, Belfast.

The 26th, 41st, and 49th Regiments, have been placed under orders to return home.They are to leave India for this country about the beginning of February next. The 26th and 49th proceeded from China to Bengal on the ratification of the treaty of peace, and the payment by the Chinese of the first instalment of the war expenses. -- United Service Gazette.

The Navy.

The Naval promotions consequent on the successful termination of the Chinese war are not yet finally resolved on, but we anticipate their promulgation in next Tuesday's Gazette. We have every reason to believe that they will be on such liberal scale as to satisfy the hopes and expectations of the service. We may anticipate an equally liberal army promotion. -- Naval and Military Gazette.

HER MAJESTY'S SHIP "FORMIDABLE." -- By a letter from Barcelona, dated December 2, we have the following particulars of saving the above fine man-of-war:-- At a quarter before eight, on the night of the 29th, going four knots, the ship struck the ground heavily (it appears fourteen miles to the westward of Barcelona). A boat was immediately despatched to Barcelona for assistance, and at day-light a French steam-vessel, many boats, and small craft, came to assist.The stream had been got out, and the steamer carried out a bower. During the day (the 30th), two other steamers arrived from the westward, a French and Spanish; and at five the Rodney, much to our joy and comfort, arrived and anchored a mile from the Formidable, then in four feet less water than she drew. The Rodney sent two cables on end, and the Formidable two to meet them, and both ships hove together. The water was started and pumped out, all the lower deck guns thrown overboard, with three of the main, and a quantity of shot; and at a quarter before twelve, on the night of the 30th, she was hove off, having been twenty-eight hours ashore. The bottom was a soft clear sand, but, being near the breakers, some heavy rollers occasionally coming in made the ship thump heavily. The weather was fortunately very fine. The rudder went soon after grounding. The ship was dragged, by main strength, at the first gun thrown overboard. The ship's company during the whole time worked well, and their conduct is said to be beyond all praise.The ship was towed to Barcelona, from which she has proceeded to Port Mahon. Damage sustained (from the report of an excellent diver): -- The false keel is gone in many places, from ten to twelve in one place; the forefoot gone, the rudder gone, main keel damaged in places, two leaks forward, a small leak in the bread-room; she makes eight inches water per hour; between the main and mizen-masts she hung and thumped heavily. The Cyclops steam-frigate had arrived, and had been sent to try and recover the rudder and guns. The Belvidera arrived at Barcelona on the 2d instant. The writer adds. "I am firmly of opinion that if the Rodney had not arrived as she did, the Formidable might have been erased from the Navy List." -- Hamphshire Telegraph.


^ top of page