Belfast Evening Telegraph - 15 August 1895


BALLANTINE -- August 7, at 113 Crescent Road, Crumpstall, Manchester, the wife of Robert J. O'C. Ballantine, of a son.


DILLON -- August 14, at her father's residence, Railway Street, Donaghadee, ANNA DILLON, formerly of Laganview Street, Belfast.

M'ALLISTER -- August 15, at his father's residence, Ballycraigy, JAMES M'ALLISTER, aged 30 years.The remains of my dear son will be removed from his father's residence, Ballycraigy, for interment in Mallusk Burying-ground, on Saturday afternoon, the 17th inst., at three o'clock.ALEXANDER M'ALLISTER.

Members of Masonic Lodge of Harmony, No. 645, Carnmoney, and other Brethren are earnestly requested to attend the funeral of our late Brother M'Allister. A. M'KEE, W.M.H. M'MILLEN, P.M., Sec.

M'BRIAR -- August 13, at his father's residence, 58 Burnaby Street, Belfast, HERBERT FREDERICK COCHRANE M'BRIAR, the beloved son of James and Lizzie M'Briar.

M'MULLAN -- August 14, at his father's residence, 23 Everton Street, Crumlin Road, Belfast, JAMES, the third son of William M'Mullan.His remains will be removed for interment in the City Cemetery, on to-morrow (Friday) afternoon, at three o'clock.Friends will please accept this intimation.WILLIAM M'MULLAN.

REID -- August 14, at her residence, 40 Chatsworth Street, Belfast, LIZZIE, youngest daughter of Wm. And Harriet Reid, aged two years and 9 months.Her remains will be removed for interment in the family burying-ground, Magherahamlet, on to-morrow (Friday) morning, at ten o'clock.Friends will please accept this intimation.
     "Suffer little children to come unto Me, and forbid them not, for of such is the Kingdom of Heaven."

WHITTAKER -- August 13, at 54 East Street, Belfast, ALEXANDER, second son of George and Margaret Jane Whittaker, and grandson of the late James Carroll, Butcher.His remains will be removed for interment in the City Cemetery, on to-morrow (Friday) afternoon, at two o'clock.



At the Summons Court to-day the presiding magistrates were Messrs. Wm. Bell, J.P., and John Burke, J.P.

The following Belfast vessels are offering for re-Insurance :- Lord Templemore, Swansea to San Francisco, 163 days out, 10 guineas; Lord Templemore, Rangoon to Falmouth, 113 days out, 10 guineas.

The Lord Mayor of Belfast has invited the members of the Central Presbyterian Association and their friends (numbering close upon 600 persons) to a garden party at Walton, Fortwilliam Park, during the month of September.



(Before Messrs. F.G. Hodder, R.M., and John Burke, J.P.


The first visit to the city of James Rea, an inhabitant of Belturbet, however amusing to others, will not be remembered with pleasure by him in after days.He happened to take just a drop too much, with the result that he fell into the hands of Constable King, who tried to persuade him that home was the best place for him.Instead of taking this well-meant advice, the accused struck the constable a severe blow on the face, and became very disorderly.He was promptly landed in the Police Office, and brought before the magistrates this morning.The prisoner was ordered 14 days' rest.Mr. D. F. Spiller prosecuted.


Joseph Burke was charged by Sergeant Mulvihill with being an absentee from the annual training of the Royal Irish Fusiliers at Armagh.The prisoner was remanded for a week on bail to allow the military authorities to be communicated with.


Patrick Cummings was put forward charged by Sergeant Mulvihill with having assaulted one Eliza Douglas by having struck her and knocked her down.The prosecutrix was drunk when she made the charge and the accused was perfectly sober.The prisoner denied having assaulted her, and asserted that she had tried to scrape his face.As the prosecutrix did not appear, the magistrates discharged the accused.


Mr. J. S. Osborne said that he had been asked to make an application on behalf of Holland, who was returned for trial yesterday on a charge of receiving cycle accessories knowing them to have been stolen.Mr. Hodder remarked that he thought Holland was the worst of the three, and that he was not disposed to re-enter upon the case. An application could be made to the Queen's Bench.Mr. Hodder said that the accused was a trader, carrying on business in the city, and if bail was refused the business would have to be closed up.He also had a wife and family.

Mr. Hodder -- A person in Mr. Holland's position is not deserving of sympathy.

The Assistant-Commissioner of Police (Mr. Seddall) said he did not oppose the application or otherwise, and the Chairman said they would accept bail -- 100 and two sureties of 50 each -- in Holland's and the two other cases.Mr. Osborne observed that Holland had a large stake in the city, and was not likely to flee from justice.


Robert Kennedy, who, though young in years, is the unhappy possessor of a few records in the police books, was charged on remand by Constable Clokely with having burglariously entered the premises of Thomas M'Nabney, 40 Ardilaun Street, and Alexander Marks, trader, Newtownards Road, and having stolen therefrom a number of articles.The accused was also charged with maliciously breaking a plate-glass window in Mark's shop, value for 55s.The prisoner was originally arrested on a charge of loitering about Dee Street with intent to commit a felony, the constable having a long chase with him through Victoria Park.Since that time it was discovered that a couple of burglaries had been committed, and on the prisoner being searched a number of the stolen goods were found upon him.The accused pleaded guilty, wisely determining to take his trial before the magistrates.He was sentenced to seven months' imprisonments in all.


A respectable looking person named Robert Hillis was charged on a warrant by Sergeant Magee with the larceny of goods he had hired from J. Lipson & Co., Castle St.Mr. Donnelly prosecuted and said that the accused had obtained the goods under an hiring agreement, and had no right to sell the articles until they were completely paid for.Joseph Thompson, an employee of the firm, produced the agreement which showed that the furniture was to cost 20 7s.In reply to the prisoner he said that 2 had been paid by him.Other evidence was given to show that part of the furniture was taken to an auctioneer in the city for sale on account of a Mr. Fagan.A remand until to-morrow was granted for the purpose of producing Fagan.


Two flashy dressed young women called Matheson and Fletcher were charged by Head Constable Stringer, the former with the larceny of a watch, an umbrella, and a petticoat, the property of her mother, Julia Matheson, who resides at 69 Osborne Street, and the latter with the larceny only of the watch.No evidence was given in the source of the case against Fletcher, and she was discharged.Her companion in trouble admitted having taken the articles, and on promising to conduct herself properly in future the case against her was adjourned.




Second lieutenants F. E. Campbell, W. Allpress, J. H. Hedley, and R. J. Forde, Antrim Artillery, have been promoted lieutenants.

The commander of the 2nd Battalion of the Royal Irish Fusiliers, vacant by the retirement of Lieutenant-Colonel Money, is filled by the promotion of Major Smith to the head of the battalion.

Quartermaster and Hon. Captain W. Clinch, Dorsetshire Regiment, has retired on retired pay.Captain Clinch enlisted in the Dorsets as a boy, and served altogether over 25 years in the ranks.He was promoted quartermaster and lieutenant in 1880, and captain in 1890.



The following members of the Armagh Town Commissioners have been specially appointed to wait upon the Belfast spinners, factory, and millowners, in order to place the present position of the flax-growing industry before and to obtain their consent for them to send their buyers to the Armagh markets :- Messrs. George A. Edwards, J.P. (Chairman of the Armagh Town Commissioners); Wm. M'Crum, John M'Clelland, Richard Best, James Maxwell, James Mann, James A. Watson, and Jas. Whitsitt.It is to be hoped that Mr. T. G. Peel, the efficient Town Clerk, will be in sufficiently good health to accompany the deputation to Belfast.




The White Star Royal and United States mail steamship Teutonic has just accomplished another fast passage across the Atlantic, being her seventy-third trip.She left Sandy Hook at 10.24 on the 7th inst. And arrived at Queenstown on Tuesday at 3.5, during which she covered 2,806 miles in six days and three minutes.Fine weather was experienced throughout the passage, and the records of her daily running were, as usual, most uniform, being as follows:-- 447, 458, 445, 462, 448, and 443.Her record eastward passage was five days 21 hours and three minutes, or three hours less than the present run.



A Reuter's telegram says -- A terrible domestic tragedy was enacted in Rennes yesterday morning.A woman named Couven had gone to lunch at her father's house when suddenly the door opened, and her husband walked in holding a revolver in his hand.The pair, it is stated, has been constantly quarrelling during the last few days.Suspecting that her husband's intention was to shoot her, Madame Couven jumped from the table and fled towards the adjoining room, while her father, M. Menard, to protect her, rushed between her and his infuriated son-in-law.With an exclamation of anger, Couven raised his weapon and fired, killing M. Menard on the spot.Then aiming at his wife, Couven fired two shots in rapid succession, inflicting fatal injuries.Vengeance satisfied, Couven walked out, leaving his wife dying on the floor, and mounted his bicycle, which he had left at the door, and rode quietly off in the direction of the cemetery.On arrival there he made his way to the side of the grave of his mother, and shot himself twice in the head, death ensuing in a few moments.



George James Byron Gladstone, pedlar, St. Andrew's, was convicted of bigamy at Dundee yesterday.Seven years ago he was married at Aberdeen, and went to live in Glasgow, where he discovered his wife had previously lived with a man by whom she had several children.He then left her, and subsequently hearing she was dead, married, several years since, a widow in St. Andrews.His first wife appeared in St. Andrews a week ago, and wanted money from him.He was fined 5, or a month's imprisonment.



As the outcome of a wager, two students from Nancy, at present staying in Paris, resolved to journey home in a singular fashion.They will take turns in walking on their hands half an hour at a time, whilst another holds their feet.They will endeavour to cover the whole distance in this way, and calculate that the journey will occupy twenty days.


^ top of page

Belfast Evening Telegraph - 16 August 1895


NEVIN -- August 15, at New Row West, Coleraine, the wife of Robert Nevin, of a daughter.


KINNEY -- August 16, at the residence of her brother, 39 Abyssinia Street, Belfast, MARY KINNEY. -- R.I.P.The remains of my sister will be removed, on Sunday afternoon, at two o'clock, for interment in Milltown Cemetery.Friends will please accept this intimation.CHARLES KINNEY.

M'CALDIN -- August 15, at Warrenpoint, ANDREW, son of the late James M'Caldin, Belfast.

M'ALLISTER -- August 15, at his father's residence, Ballycraigy, JAMES M'ALLISTER, aged 30 years.The remains of my dear son will be removed from his father's residence, Ballycraigy, for interment in Mallusk Burying-ground, on to-morrow (Saturday) afternoon, at three o'clock.ALEXANDER M'ALLISTER.

Members of Masonic Lodge of Harmony, No. 645 Carnmoney, and other Brethren are earnestly requested to attend the funeral of our late Brother M'ALLISTER.A. M'KEE, W.M.H. M'MILLEN, P.M., Sec.

RICHARDSON -- August 15, at her residence, Placktown, County Tyrone, ISABELLA, widow of the late Joseph Richardson, aged 58 years.

SMITH -- August 16, at 75 Donegall Pass, WILLIAM, aged 17 years, fourth son of the late Alexander Smith, Designer.Funeral on Sunday afternoon, at three o'clock, to the City Cemetery.Friends will please accept this intimation.ELIZABETH SMITH.

In Memoriam

AICKEN -- In sad and loving memory of my dearly-beloved brother, DAVID, who was lost in s.s Horn Head on her voyage from Baltimore to Dublin, in the month of August, 1893.
     Perhaps he's drifting still,
          No news has yet returned.
     In hope we wait, but all in vain,
          He'll ne'er come back again.
     He left us with heart so gay,
          To return to his ship once more;
     But, alas, he whom we loved,
          Has gone to a happier shore.



There will be a daylight trip from Belfast to Blackpool via Fleetwood on Monday next.

The business in the Summons Court this morning, which did not contain any feature of public interest, was disposed of by Dr. M'Gee, J.P.; Mr Thomas M'Clelland, J.P., and Mr. James Johnston, J.P.

In consequence of the success of the sea trip to Portrush, Mr. Pinion, the manager of the County Down Railway and Bangor steamers, has arranged for another trip by the Slieve Bearnagh on Friday, 23rd August.

This morning, shortly before ten o'clock, a boy named Edward M'Avoy, residing at 5 Belmont Street, an employee in the Belfast Ropeworks, Connswater, was conveyed to the Royal Hospital in the ambulance, suffering from a fracture of the thigh caused by his leg having been caught by a rope.



(BEFORE Messrs. F. G. Hodder, R.M.; James A. Doran, J.P.; and Wm. M'Cormick, J.P.)


James Nolan was charged on a warrant with having assaulted his brother Michael.The information showed that without any provocation the prisoner hit his brother on the under lip, inflicting a nasty wound.Michael declined to prosecute, and the accused was discharged.


James Watt Usher was put forward charged by Constable Steenson with disorderly conduct last evening in North Queen Street.The evidence showed that a band was passing down North Queen Street, and the accused threw two stones into the centre of the bandsmen.It was a deliberate attempt, Head-Constable Stringer stated, to get up a riot at a most critical part of the street where a large crowd had assembled.One of the stones thrown by the accused struck a boy and seriously injured him.The prisoner was fined 40s and costs.

In connection with the same occurrence Mary Jane Cousins was fined 10s and costs.She followed the prisoner to the office, and on the way down called on the crowd to stone the police.


William Ireland, who resides at 16 Foster Street, was placed in the dock, charged by Constable Havron with having assaulted Eliza M'Keown, his mother-in-law.According to the evidence submitted, the prisoner's conduct last evening was very brutal.He came home drunk, and without any provocation struck his mother-in-law, with whom he lived, on the head, besides kicking her.When arrested, the accused showed his indignation by assaulting Constable Freeman, and their Worships rewarded him for his behaviour by sending him to exile for a couple of months.


David Shaw appeared in answer to the charges preferred against him by Constable Cole of having broken into and entered the premises of Mr. Flynn, 271 Albertbridge Road, and David Kyle, 66 Madrid Street, and having stolen from the former a quantity of wearing apparel, blankets, &c., and from the latter a gold watch and chain and some knives and forks.The accused, when arrested, asked questions as to the knives and forks, and as to whether other persons had been arrested.It was stated that other prisoners had been remanded until Wednesday next on the same charge, and the accused was put back until the same day.


Robert Hills was charged on remand with the larceny of goods he had hired from Messrs. Lipson & Co., Castle Street.Mr. Wm. Harper prosecuted, and Mr. J. S. Osborne defended.The evidence in the case given yesterday has already appeared in these columns, and a furniture dealer named Fagan having been examined as to the purchase of the furniture in question, the accused was sent for trial to the Recorder's Court.Bail was accepted for his appearance, himself in 30 and two sureties of 15 each.


Hugh Donnelly was put forward, charged on remand by Constable M'Larnon with having assaulted his wife, Margaret.The constable stated that about a fortnight ago he saw the prosecutrix being thrown out of No. 19 Millfield.On going forward he saw the prisoner kicking his wife as hard as he could, and witness prevented him from doing any further injury.The woman was unconscious at the time, and she was removed to the Royal Hospital.It was stated, for the defence, that the accused had assaulted his wife when in one of his annual "bursts."He had taken the pledge, and was at present living with her.The case was adjourned for three months, the chairman remarking that if he had been consulting his own inclinations he would have sent the accused to jail for six months.


Bessie Barker was sentenced to fourteen days' imprisonment for the larceny of a gold pair of spectacles, belonging to Mrs M'Millan, Martello, Holywood.The spectacles were taken from the window-sill of Mrs M'Millan's house, and were sold to a local jeweller for 6s.They were originally purchased for 4, and Mr. Hodder said that if the buyer had been placed in the dock he would have sent him for trial on the charge of receiving the spectacles from such a person as the accused.The jeweller stated in explanation that the gold was 9-carat, and that the lenses had been taken out.


John Grimshaw was charged by Detective Stannus with having stolen a purse and 11 ½d belonging to Margaret Drennan.The prisoner was seen standing behind the prosecutrix in the Butter Market with her dress in his hands.When observed he stepped back, and the lady's pocket was hanging outside the dress.The purse was immediately missed, and the accused was arrested.The magistrates decided to dismiss the case.



The Liberton Boys Band continues to draw large crowds both in the afternoon and evening at the Exhibition.We understand that the committee have endeavoured to have a re-engagement of the band for another week.This is found impossible for the present, so that to-morrow will be the last day that the public will have an opportunity of hearing the splendid Liberton band.Next week the band of the R.I.C. will again occupy the platform.



The annual conference of delegates from the different grocers' societies throughout the United Kingdom in connection with the Grocers' Federation will take place next week in Glasgow.Last year, it will be remembered, the conference was held in Belfast, when Mr. Robert Dunwoody was elected President of the federation.A very interesting programme will be discussed at the Glasgow meeting.The following are the Belfast delegates:- Messrs. R. Dunwoody, E. W. Pim, A. L. Edgar, Wm. Lyttle, Joseph Thompson, Wm. Knox, Edward Fittis, Isaac Mathers, Wm. Minnis, John Cooke, and Hugh Renton.The local delegates will leave Monday morning, travelling via Ardrossan.




Our Portaferry correspondent telegraphs this forenoon:- During a fog last night at eleven o'clock the steamer Solway Prince, belonging to Messrs. Burnyeat, Dalzell, & Co., Whitehaven, loaded with coal, struck a rock.The captain immediately put to sea, but when he discovered her damaged and sinking he ran her for the shore to save the crew.At 1:30 she struck Tara Point and went down.The crew were saved in their own boats.The coast-guards and Portaferry police have gone to the scene of the wreck.

A later telegram states that the ship was in five fathoms of water.

Our Portaferry correspondent telegraphs that the Solway Prince, 350 tons registered, bound with a cargo of coal from Whitehaven to Belfast had a narrow escape of being dashed to pieces on the rocks.The captain, with great coolness, after she first struck, put her out to sea, and was obliged to turn her about and head for the shore to save the lives of the crew.She again struck at Tievishilly.The crew took to their boats and lay alongside till day break, when they got ashore, and were hospitably entertained by Miss Curran.Their names are:- Captain John Moore, John Brown, mate; James Brand, chief engineer, and his wife; William Brand, second engineer; John Cochrane, Wm. Quinn, and Hiram Moore, able seamen; Michael Cassidy and Wm. Newman, all Englishmen.The vessel lies about one mile from the shore in about six fathoms of water.



Yesterday evening quite a sensation was caused in the quiet little village of Ballybrack, County Dublin, in consequence of a desperate attempt of a man named John Kavanagh, aged 39 years, and a resident of the district, to hang himself in the strong room of the Royal Irish Constabulary Station.While he was confined he was visited by Constable Maloney, who was horrified to find him hanging by the wall with a slight cord which had been passed round the window bar tightened in a loop on his neck.Constable Flynn, who arrived about the same time, instantly cut the prisoner down, and a messenger was despatched for Dr. Pim and Father Grimley, C.C.The constables applied artificial respiration and were assisted by Dr. Pim on his arrival, with the result that breathing was restored, but the prisoner remained and remains unconscious.Dr. Pim pronounced the case hopeless.



Yesterday afternoon, while the Erin's King steamer was in the harbour off Skerries, a young lad accidentally fell off the quay wall into the water between the steamer and the wall.Daniel Egan, the engineer of the steamer, without waiting to divest himself of any portion of his attire, jumped into the water, and ably assisted by the mate, Archibald Wright, rescued the boy.When the steamer was returning to Dublin the passengers collected a sum of money, which the captain on their behalf presented to Egan in recognition of his gallant conduct.



FERBANE, THURSDAY EVENING -- Last night an outrage, which is believed to be of an agrarian character, was perpetrated in the townland of Falsk, some four miles from Ferbane.There resides at the place mentioned a woman named Eliza Dolan, who holds a small farm and is unmarried, and during the night her house was set on fire by some person or persons unknown and burnt to the ground.The owner was absent at the time, and the entire furniture and contents of the dwelling, which included some poultry, were destroyed.This is but one of a number of outrages which have occurred in the Ferbane district during the past couple of weeks.It is only a few days since a donkey was brutally houghed at Killnagarna, but a few miles distant; a labourer's cottage was broken into at Tinnymuck; and a daring robbery was perpetrated at Grogan, near Ballycumber.In all those cases the guilty parties have so far eluded the vigilance of the authorities.




An inquest was held at Bootle to-day on the body of the boy Ireland, son of a Liverpool doctor, who died from terrible injuries he received at the hands of Patrick O'Callaghan, who acted as assistant to Dr. Ireland.The evidence showed that the deceased was eleven years old and occupied the same bedroom as O'Callaghan, who had lived with Dr. Ireland for ten years.During the doctor's absence on a holiday O'Callaghan got very drunk, and because Mrs. Ireland refused to give him whiskey he made a great disturbance in the house, smashing the furniture and windows.When he eventually went into his own room he used the expression "Oh, Plucky, I will murder you," meaning deceased.Shortly after the boy was found with his bowels cut open with a knife.A verdict of wilful murder against O'Callaghan was returned.





Advices received here from Barbados dated the 29th ult., state that the British schooner Ellen had been fired on by a Venezuelan gunboat.The shot tore her sails.On the gunboat coming up with the Ellen the latter vessel was overhauled.

A telegram from Tampa, the headquarters of the Cuban revolutionary party in the United States, says that, according to a report received there from Cuba, a train full of volunteers for service against the Cuban insurgents, which left Havana on Sunday, was blown up by dynamite at a place called Blondron.Only a few of those in the train are said to have escaped.

A telegram from Panama regarding the insurrection in Ecuador, states that the insurgents, under General Vermaza, have repulsed the Government forces under Generals Sarasti and Gataz.General Sarasti is at Rio Bamba with 400 men, and is considered to be at the mercy of General Alfard's forces.

The Bond Syndicate is stated to have bought Assay Office checks for several months past from smelters, and to be prepared to recoup the Treasury for all the gold taken for export.The syndicate paid 1-16th per cent.One smelter says that the purchases have amounted to two or three million dollars per month.

Mr. Smith, of the America Cup Committee, said that if Lord Dunraven should wish the race for the Cup to be deferred on account of the delayed arrival of the Valkyrie, the contest will be postponed till September 14th.



Tasker, champion of the world, meets Steinetz, the ex-champion, in the international chess tournament at Hastings to-day.This match is regarded as the chief event of the tournay, as last year Tasker defeated Steinitz in the fight for the championship.Tasker opened with Ruy Lopez, to which the American replied regularly.Other important matches were Tchigiring v. Gunsberg, Bardeleban v. Pollick, Blackburne v. Walbrdt, Burn v. T. Arrtsch, Jaumski v. Pillsburn, and Schlechter v. Bird.



Boulogne-Sur-Mer, Thursday -- A visitor named Schoor, of Austrian nationality, committed suicide by shooting himself with a revolver last night on the esplanade near the sea, where his body was found by the police shortly after midnight.The act is ascribed to pecuniary embarrassment, brought about by gambling. -- Reuter.



At an inquest held to-day at Liverpool on the body of a charwoman named Mary Ashton, who committed suicide by taking carbolic acid, a singular instance of mental delusion came to light.Deceased asked a neighbour if she had ever been in hell, because she had."No," was the reply, "but it must be pretty lively there.""Not at all," said the deceased, "the devil is kind to me, and has asked me to go back again, and I am going."



The Press Association's Greenock correspondent telegraphs -- News was received here to-day of a distressing accident to a boat's crew belonging to the Greenock ship Argus while on a voyage from the Clyde to Sydney.During a heavy gale James Kelly, third mate, was washed overboard, and the lifeboat was immediately launched and manned by P. Kelly (chief mate), Peter Lindsay (steward), and four seamen.The boat, however, was capsized by a heavy sea, and neither boat nor men were seen again.



At Ryde yesterday, Carina won the forty rater race; Namara won cruisers handicap; and Audrey won the twenty rater race.

Yesterday evening while Sir Charles Bruce, governor of the Windward Islands, was alighting from a tramcar at Tooting, he was run into and knocked down by a bicyclist.He sustained only slight injuries.

A Manchester telegram states that an accident occurred last evening at the Pendleton pit of Messrs. Knowles & Son which resulted in the serious injury to two miners named Parkinson and Bromley.The couplings of a waggon in which five men were riding broke, and the vehicle crashed into some others pitching the occupants out.Parkinson had both legs broken, and Bromley's arm was crushed.


^ top of page

Belfast Evening Telegraph - Saturday, 17 August 1895


COOKE -- August 16, at 15 Yew Street, Belfast, the wife of James Cooke, R.I.C., of a son.

FLYNN -- August 12, at the Bank House, Tobercurry, County Sligo, the wife of J. J. Flynn, of a daughter.

JACKSON -- August 16, at No. 1 Mount Delphi, Antrim Road, Belfast, the wife of Samuel Jackson, of a son (stillborn).


ARLOW -- August 17, at 20 Danube Street, Belfast, MARGARET ARLOW.Her remains will be removed for interment in Lisburn Cemetery, on Monday at twelve o'clock noon.Friends will please accept this intimation.ALEXANDER ARLOW.

BROWN -- August 17, at 15 Panpark Street, Belfast, ELIZABETH, relict of Robert Brown.

KINNEY -- August 16, at the residence of her brother, 39 Abyssinia Street, Belfast, MINNIE. -- R.I.P.The remains of my beloved sister will be removed, on Sunday afternoon, at two o'clock, for interment in Milltown Cemetery.Friends will please accept this intimation.CHARLES KINNEY.

M'NIECE -- August 16, at Bridge Street, Ballymena, JEANIE, the beloved wife of John M'Niece.

SLOAN -- August 17, at 103 Leeson Street, Belfast, SARAH SLOAN, eldest daughter of William and Letitia Sloan.Her remains will be removed for interment in Milltown Cemetery, on to-morrow (Sunday) afternoon, at two o'clock.Friends will please accept this intimation.

SMITH -- August 16, at 75 Donegall Pass, WILLIAM, aged 17 years, fourth son of the late Alexander Smith, Designer.Funeral on to-morrow (Sunday) afternoon, at three o'clock to the City Cemetery.Friends will please accept this intimation.ELIZABETH SMITH.

SPEERS -- August 16, at her residence, 87 Upper Meadow Street, Belfast, MARY SPEERS.The remains of my beloved mother will be removed for interment in the City Cemetery, on to-morrow (Sunday) afternoon, at two o'clock.Friends will please accept this intimation.JAMES SPEERS.

TRAINOR -- August 16, at his parents' residence, 63 Danube Street, Belfast, CHARLES, youngest son of James and Ann Eliza Trainor, aged 14 years.The remains of our beloved son will be removed from above address, on to-morrow (Sunday) afternoon, at two o'clock, for interment in the City Cemetery.Friends will please accept this intimation.



(Before Messrs. F. G. Hodder, R.M.; J. C. C. Payne J.P.; Charles M'Lorinan, J. P.; and Dr. M'Gee, J.P.)


Ambrose and Charles O'Connor, two brothers, were put forward on various charges of assaulting the police yesterday.Both prisoners, it appeared, live in North Queen Street, and yesterday they went to the Newtownards Road with the evident purpose of kicking up a row.Ambrose was put out of a public house, and on commencing to shout on the street was arrested by Constable Miller for indecent behaviour.He immediately got very violent, and assaulted Miller several times by striking him on the face.He also butted him with his head, and kicked him.The other brother tried to rescue Ambrose, and the both of them also assaulted Constables Quinn, Reilly and others.It was only with the greatest difficulty that the police succeeded in getting the accused down to the office.Ambrose was fined 10s for the indecent behaviour, and for the assaults was sentenced to two months' imprisonment, while his brother was ordered a three months' visit to jail.


Thomas Barbour was put forward, charged with having deserted from the Royal Artillery.The accused, who had surrendered himself, was remanded for a week to allow the police to communicate with the military authorities.


Patrick Kelly was placed in the dock, charged by Constable M'Cann with the larceny of a scarf belonging to Margaret Loughlin.The accused, the evidence showed entered Mrs. Loughlin's house in her temporary absence and took the shawl which was lying in one of the rooms.The prisoner, not being content with that, smashed the glass of a clock.When he got outside he disposed of the shawl, realising 9d on it.The accused had numerous convictions against him, and was sent to prison for two months.


Arthur Nyman, a Russian sailor of the ship, Edward, was charged with having assaulted an old woman named M'Mahon in Corr's Lane last evening.The evidence was interpreted by the captain of the ship.The prosecutrix stated that the accused knocked at her door yesterday and used an expression the like of which one never heard before. (Laughter.)She told him to go away, and he caught her by the hair and dragged her out, and besides kicking her broke her "ould tub" and spilt her whelks. (Laughter.)The accused, on being informed of his conduct conduct, admitted it as far as his memory went.He was fined 20s costs, of which 18s was to be given to the prosecutrix as compensation.



Lord Massereene, Captain M'Calmont, M.P., and Mr. Alexander, of Portglenone, are at present staying at the Londonderry Arms, Carnlough, for the shooting in the neighbourhood.

Official information was received in Belfast yesterday of the appointment of the Rev. Dr. Henry, President of St. Malachy's College, to be Roman Catholic Bishop of Down and Connor.



A very pleasing change has taken place in the weather, and, as was naturally expected, the number of excursion parties left town to-day was extremely large, as will be seen from the undermentioned list:-


500 I.O Rechabites, Belfast to Downpatrick.50 M'Crum, Watson, & Mercer's workers, Belfast to Newcastle.400 Victoria Hall S.S., Belfast to Bangor.50 Bangor Rechabites, Bangor to Belfast.30 Albertbridge Congregationalist Choir, Belfast to Helen's Bay.90 Springfield Bleachworks, Belfast to Donaghadee. 100 Murphy & Stevenson's workers, Belfast to Bangor.60 Skegoniel Brickworks, Belfast to Newcastle.50 Thomas Bell & Co.'s workers, Belfast to Bangor.30 Townsend Street choir, Belfast to Helen's Bay.


16 Mr. Brown's party, Belfast to Portrush.50 Mr. Cooper's workers, Whitehead to Parkmore.300 York Street Spinning Company's workers, Antrim to Ballycastle.300 Young Men's Christian Association, Cullybackey to Ballycastle.400 Milfort Factory workers, Belfast to Portrush.200 Lisnafillan Bleaching Co.'s workers, Ballymena to Portrush.200 Messrs. M'Laughlin & Harvey's employes, Belfast to Larne harbour.60 Beaconsfield R.B.P., Belfast to Larne Harbour.400 Whitehouse and Greencastle Sabbath Schools, Greencastle, Whiteabbey, and Ballyclare Junction, to Parkmore.50 "Irish News" employes, Belfast to Parkmore.125 Oldpark Printworks employes, Belfast to Whitehead.100 Annadale Brick Co.'s workers, Belfast to Portrush.750 St. Patrick's Church Schools, Belfast to Whitehead.300 Broadway Sunday School, Belfast to Whitehead.300 Great Victoria Street Presbyterian Sunday School, Belfast to Whitehead.200 Messrs. Arthur & Co.'s workers, Kells to Whitehead.

A number of excursion parties also travelled over the Great Northern Company's line to-day, to various places of interest.



This splendid vessel, which was reported overdue, arrived at San Francisco on the 16th inst.Captain M'Williams is in command.She sailed from Swansea with a cargo of coal.



At Larne Petty Sessions yesterday the cross-case of Thomas B. Campbell against

Wm. Holmes and Daniel Magill came up for hearing, but on the application of the solicitor for the defence (Mr. J. A. Williams) they were adjourned for the attendance of a witness until 10th September.


Mr. Wm. Rodden, hon. sec. N.S.P.C.C., writes as follows :- Dear Sir -- Will you allow me to say, through your columns, that if Mary Ellen Connor, wife of James Connor, now in Malta, will call at this office she will hear of something to her advantage.


ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS -- BELFAST ROYAL HOSPITAL. -- The Honorary Treasurer, Mr. W. F. MacElheran, acknowledges, with thanks, the receipt from the employes of :-- Turners and labourer, Messrs. Harland & Wolff, 3 3s 6d;Messrs. Douglas & Green, 2 6s 7d.The Superintendent of the Belfast Royal Hospital acknowledges, with thanks, the receipt of old linen from Mrs. Kelly, of near Comber, County Down, for the use of patients.




Last evening, between four and five o'clock, a shocking fatal accident occurred on the Great Southern and Western Railway, between Inchicore and Kingsbridge Terminus, by which a man named John Gray, aged 55, was knocked down by a train and killed instantaneously.Gray was a lamplighter in the employment of the company, and at the time of the occurrence was crossing the line about 50 or 60 yards to the west of the platforms.On the down line a train for Kildare had just passed, while on the up line a train was heading for Kingsbridge.Gray was crossing the line and in all probability calculated that he would reach the platform before the train came before him, but it proved otherwise, as he was knocked down across the rails and his head completely severed from his body.The left hand and foot were also cut off, and the unfortunate man's body, horribly mutilated, was pulled up shortly afterwards.



About nine o'clock, on Thursday, a coastguard named Dudley, stationed at Ardmore, County Waterford, went out fishing in a small boat in Ardmore Bay, taking his son, a boy about twelve years of age, with him, and up to ten o'clock this morning, no trace of either man, boy, or boat has been seen.It was Dudley's intention to anchor at a short distance from the shore, inside the bay, which is a good fishing ground for whiting and other small fish, and therefore the boat's disappearance is considered very strange, as the weather was pretty calm, but very foggy.It is suggested that he may have lost his way returning home through the haze and instead of making for the landing place at Ardmore, turned the boat's head seawards.As the weather is still calm, though very thick on the land and sea, it is hoped Dudley and his son will be picked up by some passing vessel.



At the weekly meeting of the Kildysart Board of Guardians a report was received from Dr. Vaughan, dispensary medical officer, that a man named Frank Keane, employed as a fireman at the Labasheeda Creamery, was suffering from small-pox.The man was not in a fit state to be removed to hospital.The doctor had reported the case to the Local Government Board.A second report was received from Dr. Blackhall that he had visited the patient and had found him suffering from smallpox.All was done that could be done to secure isolation, and Dr. Vaughan undertook to revaccinate all in the neighbourhood.On the recommendation of Dr. Blackhall, workhouse medical officer, a suggestion of Dr. Clements, medical inspector of a Local Government Board, that extra accommodation be provided for any future cases of the disease in the Fever Hospital wing of the workhouse, which will be entirely isolated for that purpose, was adopted.




The Carron Company's steamer Grange, from London, ran aground late on Thursday night in the Firth of Forth during a fog, and lies in a bad position.The passengers were landed in a tug.


^ top of page

Belfast Evening Telegraph - Monday, 19 August 1895


FERRY -- August 17, 1895, at 16 Denmark Street, Belfast, the wife of James Ferry, R.I.C., Brown Square, of a son.

TYNDALL -- August 16, at 4 Trafalgar Terrace, Monkstown, Dublin, the wife of J.P. Tyndall, Solicitor, of a son.


FLANIGAN -- August 18, at her parents' residence, 10 Witham Street, Belfast, SARAH (Cissy), the eldest daughter of Alexander and Mary Jane Flanigan.Her remains will be removed, on to-morrow (Tuesday) afternoon, at two o'clock, for interment in the City Cemetery.Friends will please accept this intimation.ALEXANDER FLANIGAN.

HALL -- August 18, at his residence, 54 North Queen Street, Belfast, JAMES HALL.The remains of my dearly-beloved husband will be removed from above address for interment in Glynn Churchyard, on to-morrow (Tuesday) morning at ten o'clock.Friends will please accept this intimation.ELLEN HALL.

M'FARLAND -- August 18, at her residence, Suffolk, SARAH, the dearly-beloved wife of Robt. M'Farland.Her remains will be removed for interment in Dunmurry Burying-ground, on to-morrow (Tuesday) afternoon, at three o'clock.Friends will please accept this intimation.ROBERT M'FARLAND.

PIKE -- August 19, at her father's residence, 31 Dixon Street, Belfast, JOSEPHINE, the dearly-beloved and youngest daughter of Isaac Pike (compositor) and Mary Pike.Funeral to-morrow (Tuesday) afternoon, at two o'clock.
     "Suffer little children to come unto Me, and forbid them not, for of such is the Kingdom of Heaven."

ROBB -- August 19, at his father's residence, 11 Finmore Street, Belfast, HUGH, second son of Robert and Maggie Robb, aged 2 years and 7 months.Interment in the family burying-ground, Bangor, on to-morrow (Tuesday) afternoon, at two o'clock.

RODGERS -- August 18, HILL, the eldest and dearly-beloved son of James and Sarah Rodgers, 48 Lawther Street, Belfast.His remains will be removed for interment in the family burying-ground, Killymurris Churchyard, on to-morrow (Tuesday) morning, at 6.30 for 9 Northern Counties Railway.
     "Fell asleep in Jesus."

SKATES -- August 19, at the residence of his mother, Purdysburn, ALEXANDER, youngest son of the late John Skates.His remains will be removed from above address for interment in the family burying-ground, Ballylesson, on Wednesday afternoon, at four o'clock.ELIZA SKATES.

In Memoriam

ALLEN -- In affectionate and loving remembrance of our dearly-beloved mother, SARAH ALLEN, who departed this life on 19th August 1894, at 109 Fortingale Street, Belfast, and was interred in the City Cemetery.
     "Gone but not forgotten."      The cold, cold hand of cruel death,
U          pon her dear life fell;
     Twelve months to-day she passed away,
          The one we loved so well.
     The loss was great, the blow severe,
     To part with one we loved so dear;
     It was God's will it should be so,
     For at His call we all must go.
24 Brussels Street.WILLIAM ALLEN.

KINGON -- In loving memory of MARY E. KINGON, who departed this life on the 19th of August, 1894, and was interred in Movilla Cemetery, Newtownards.
     We have to mourn the loss of one,
          We did our best to save;
     Beloved on earth -- regretted gone,
          Remembered in the grave.
     The loss was great, the blow severe,
          To part with one we loved so dear;
     It was God's will it should be so,
          At his command we all must go.
     Weep not for me, my parents dear,
          I am not dead, but sleeping here;
     I am not yours, but Christ's alone,
          He loved me best, and took me home.
JOHN AND MARGARET KINGON.Stormount Street, Mountpottinger.



The Audit and Finance Committees of the City Corporation met in the Town Hall this morning, and transacted the business, which contained no feature of public interest.

Mr. William Hanna, M.A., M.B., on the recommendation of the Queen's College, has been appointed to a science research scholarship for the year 1895.The scholarship is of the value of 150 a year and is tenable for two years.



I understand that Mr. M'Cammond, the Lord Mayor of Belfast, is shortly to be knighted by the new Lord Lieutenant. -- London correspondent.



(Before Messrs. F.G. Hodder, R.M.; Arthur Hamill, J.P.; and James Jenkins, J.P.)


Marshall Street seems to be one of the worst places in the city, and hardly a week passes without some case from that select locality coming before the magistrates.The first case this week was one in which Mary Campbell was charged by Constable Comiskey with having stolen 3s 8d from one Peter Burns, a labourer, residing in Ballymacarrett.Burns alleged that the woman brought him into a house in Marshall Street, where she put her hand into his pocket, and took its contents -- 3s 8d.Twenty hours imprisonment was ordered.Mr. Joseph Donnelly (for Mr. Spiller) prosecuted.


A respectable-looking young man named James Burns, stated to be a joiner by trade, living in Rowland Street, was put forward charged with having been concealed with intent to commit a felony in an entry between Charleville and Glenfarne Streets, off Agnes Street -- a distance of two miles from his residence.The accused, it appeared, was found in the entry mentioned at a quarter all three o'clock on Sunday morning, attention being attracted to him by the falling of bricks.He was standing beside a wall, the top of which had been knocked down, and his coat and waistcoat were off him.The prisoner, who seemed to have taken some drink, gave several addresses.He was put back till the end of the court to enable witnesses to be examined as to his character.


James Greer was placed in the dock charged by Sergeant Barry with having threatened his mother, a most respectable lady, residing at 42 Auburn St.It was stated that for some time past the accused had not been living with his mother, and in coming out of jail on Saturday he made for her house.She gave him a breakfast and some money, and the amount of the latter displeasing him he threatened her and raised a pair of tongs to strike her.He was put out by the police, but came back in the night and forced his way into her house.The prisoner was put under a rule of bail -- himself in 10 and two sureties of 5 each, or in default two months' imprisonment.


Two well-dressed young men named John M'Creedy and Arthur Hill were charged with indecent behaviour.Mr. Donnelly, who prosecuted, said that the offence the prisoners were charged with took the form of an indecent behaviour which was getting rather than prevalent in the city.The accused were walking on the footpath of the principal thoroughfare, and assaulted respectable women by catching them and pushing up against them as if they were woman of loose character.That usually took place when people were coming from church, and he was instructed to press for a heavy penalty.Evidence having been given as to the prisoners pushing up against ladies who were coming out of the Crescent Church yesterday evening, the Court fined the accused 40s and costs.


Alice Gibbons, a white-haired old lady, whom no one would have thought to be guilty of a theft, was charged by Sergeant Mulvihill with the larceny of a gully grate, the property of the Corporation.The lady was seen with the grate in Tanner's Court, where she tried to break it.She afterwards threw it down at the door of the Millfield Foundry.Her curious desire was rewarded with 24 hours' imprisonment.


Patrick M'Cormick was placed in the dock on a charge preferred against him by Sergeant Mulvihill of having assaulted John Langford by having attacked him with a poker on the head.Langford stated that he lodged in the house of the accused's wife, and on Saturday evening, after a quarrel between the prisoner and his wife, the former struck witness deliberately on the head with a poker.Witness gave him no provocation.M'Cormick alleged that he had ordered the prosecutrix out of the house, but she would not go.As a sort of rejoinder to this, the wife stated that the house was hers, and the magistrates peremptorily settled the dispute by fining the prisoner 20s and costs.


George Kennedy was charged on remand with having carelessly ridden a bicycle, thereby having knocked down and injured an old lady named Mrs. Agnew, 35 Great Victoria Street.Mr. Harper appeared for the accused.Evidence was produced to show that at ten o'clock on the 18th July the prisoner while riding a bicycle ran into the prosecutrix knocking her down.He himself was thrown to the ground, and his machine was smashed.The lady was helped by three men to a doctor, and the accused put his broken machine on a car and drove away.The prosecutrix sustained serious injuries, and was in hospital since the occurrence.The Court discharged the prisoner.

(Before Mr. John Burke, J.P.)


Inspector Melly, N.S.P.C.A., summoned Samuel Watson, 25 Foundry Street, for having caused cruelty to a bay mare by having allowed it to be worked when suffering from a sore under the saddle, about two inches in diameter.There was also a red flesh sore with the straw of the saddle rubbing against it.The defendant was fined 2s 6d and 12s 6d costs.Mr. R. W. Handcock prosecuted.




It is not generally known that the holder of one of baronetcies in Ireland is at present a policeman, serving in the Constabulary Depot, Dublin.This is Sir Thomas Echlin, Bart., the seventh baronet of the name, and the lineal descendant of Sir Henry Echlin, second Baron of the Exchequer, who was created a Baronet of the Kingdom of Ireland on the 17th of October, 1721.The family were at one time in possession of large estates in the counties of Dublin, Kildare, Carlow, and Galway; but, like many another Irish family, they were brought to ruin by extravagant living and costly lawsuits.The fifth and sixth baronets were poor illiterate agricultural labourers in the County of Kildare.The present baronet succeeded to the title on the death of his father, Sir Ferdinand-Fenton Echlin (who, like his father, was a labourer), in 1877, being then, as now, a member of the Royal Irish Constabulary.On his succession to the baronetage he was transferred from the country station, where he was doing duty as a constable, to the depot, Phoenix Park.He is now a sergeant, and employed as a clerk in the commandant's office. -- "Success."



At 10 o'clock yesterday the street preachers, who had during the week kept within doors, started to preach at the end of Wine Street, Sligo, about 100 yards distant from the Cathedral, whither large crowds were proceeding to 10 o'clock mass.A large force of police, over 200, were immediately on the scene under the command of Mr. Cameron, D.C.; Mr. Carden, D.I.; Mr. Sheehan, D.I.; Mr. Moffat, D.I.; Mr. Pearson, D.I.; Mr. Wall, D.I.; and formed a cordon round the preachers.A crowd of between 30 and 50 persons gathered and listened for a time to the orations of the missionaries, but there was no hostile feeling of any kind displayed towards them, and soon the preachers were speaking to the constabulary alone, the people all having departed.After remaining half an hour they went to Mr. Sampson's house in William Street, which they have made their headquarters.No more attempts at preaching were made during the day.The authorities evidently expected considerable disturbance, as they had drafted into the town over 200 police, or 50 more than were there last Sunday.




The Commissioners of Irish Lights have just addressed an important communication on the subject of the buoyage on the Irish coast to the Cork Harbour Board, which is of much interest to the shipping community of the United Kingdom.The Irish Lights Commissioners explain that they have under consideration the subject of uniform buoyage on the Irish Coast, and the question of the advisability of adopting the principles of a general buoyage system.The general lighthouse authorities had made efforts to bring about a universal system of buoyage by which a navigator would be cognisant of the marks in any harbour of the world, but the project had not met with success.The Commissioners of Irish Lights, as well as the Elder Brethren of Trinity House, were agreed, however, to bring their own buoyage into accord with the recommendation of the Conference, and therefore they sought the co-operation of the Cork Harbour Commissioners in the matter, and the latter have been invited to adopt the proposed uniform buoyage system in respect of the buoys in Cork Harbour.



On Saturday night an accident of a peculiarly sad character happened to an old man named John Heffernan, which, unfortunately, resulted in his death.It appears that the deceased, who had reached the advanced age of 70 years, acted in the capacity of lodge keeper at the gate leading into the demesne of Mr. T.J. De Burgh, D.L., Oldtown, and part of his duty consisted of locking up the gate which leads into the County Kildare Cricket Club ground, and which is immediately opposite Mr. De Burgh's.On Saturday night he proceeded as usual to do so.He had succeeded in his object, and was retracing his steps when he was overtaken by two bicyclists, the machine of the hindmost rider striking Heffernan and killing him instantly.



Yesterday morning, shortly after one o'clock, a fatal accident occurred under strange circumstances in Dublin.It appears that at the hour mentioned a man named James Dobbin, 30 Werburgh Street, while sitting in the front drawing-room of he house, told his wife that he wished to go out to get a drink.She remonstrated with him, and eventually refused to allow him to leave the house.Dobbin then stated that if he were not allowed to go out by the hall door he would find another mode of exit.He then went to the front window, raised it, and partially lifted himself out upon the window sill.Having remained in this position for a few moments he made an effort to draw himself back, but in doing so lost his balance and fell into the street, a distance of about 16 feet.The unfortunate man alighted on his head, and sustained a fracture of the skull, death being almost instantaneous.



Mr. Jennings, County Inspector, and District-Inspector Penrose, Portlaw, visited the village of Rathgormack, County Waterford, for the purpose of making inquiries as to the stabbing of a man named Edward Halfpenny, which took place on Friday evening.It appears that in the Rathgormack district of the County Waterford an old faction feeling is cherished, and that Halfpenny, the man whose life is despaired of, belongs to one faction, and his alleged assailant, Maurice Power, to another.On Friday it seems that they met in a public-house in Rathgormack, and quarrelled.They were separated, but later on in the evening they met on the road, where Power, it is alleged, drew a knife and stabbed Halfpenny about the face, and cutting one of the principal arteries in the neck.The injured man was removed to Portlaw Hospital, where he was attended by Dr. Morgan, who has no hopes of his recovery.Power was subsequently arrested, and on the dying depositions of Halfpenny the prisoner was sent to the County Jail.


^ top of page

Belfast Evening Telegraph - Tuesday, 20 August 1895


ADDY -- August 15, at 2 Elim Grove, Cliftonville, Belfast, the wife of John J. Addy, of a daughter.

STEVENSON -- August 15, at the R.I.C. Barrack, Millquarter, the wife of Acting-Sergeant Stevenson, of a son.


FIELDEN--WARD -- August 19, at St. Thomas' Church, by the Rev. William Dowse, M.A., VICTOR G.L. FIELDEN, M.B., Belfast, eldest son of Immer Fielden, Board of Trade Surveyor, Hull, to CAROLINE GRANT, daughter of the late Charles H. Ward, Solicitor, Belfast. No cards.


BYRNE -- August 20, at the residence of his father, Windemere Villa, Strandtown, Belfast, HUGH, youngest son of Valentine Byrne. -- R.I.P. (Notice of interment in to-morrow's paper). VALENTINE BYRNE.

CONLIN -- August 20, at his residence, 5 Clonard Street, Belfast, FRANCIS CONLIN. -- R.I.P. The remains of my beloved husband will be removed for interment in Milltown Cemetery, on Thursday afternoon, the 22nd inst., at two o'clock. ANNIE CONLIN.

GIRVAN -- August 19, at 11 Napier Street, Belfast, ROBERT M'MASTER, youngest and dearly-beloved son of John and Mary Girvan, aged 4 years and 11 months. His remains will be removed for interment in the City Cemetery, on to-morrow (Wednesday), at twelve o'clock noon. Friends will please accept this intimation. JOHN GIRVAN.

GRAY -- August 20, at 86 Westmoreland Street, Belfast, MARY, wife of John Gray. Funeral at two o'clock, on Thursday afternoon, the 22nd inst., to Ballylesson.

HADDOCK -- August 20, at the residence of his son-in-law, 41 Malvern Street, Belfast, WILLIAM HADDOCK. His remains will be removed for interment in the City Cemetery, on Thursday afternoon, at three o'clock. Friends will please accept this intimation. WILLIAM GEORGE HADDOCK.

MARTIN -- August 18, drowned at the Twin Island, JOSEPH MARTIN. The remains of my beloved husband will be removed from his late residence, 70 Little York Street for interment in the City Cemetery, on to-morrow (Wednesday) afternoon, at three o'clock. Friends will please accept this intimation. MARY JANE MARTIN.

SHAW -- August 20, at his father's residence, 33 Duncairn Gardens, CHARLES F. FENNEL M'CARTHY, fourth son of James and Annie Shaw. -- (Interment notice in to-morrow's issue.) JAMES AND ANNIE SHAW.



Harvest operations have already commenced in some parts of the County Down.

The Clarendon Dock is at present crowded with steam and sail vessels engaged in the cross-Channel trade.

The Duke of Abercorn has left Hampden House to join his yacht Lohengrin at Southampton, and goes on a short cruise.

The week the various flax mills have commenced operations for the season in the County Down with a plentiful of supply of water. There is a good demand for scutchers.

The Union Steamship Company's steamer Norman, which left Belfast last October, is expected to arrive to-morrow from Southampton to be repaired by the builders, Messrs. Harland & Wolff. The Norman, it is stated, was ashore at Madeira.

Mr. Forster Green has given another evidence of the great interest he has taken in the welfare of the poor and sick of the community by purchasing Fort Breda from Mr. Crawford, and which he intends presenting to the committee of the Hospital for Consumption in Belfast.

There will be several important changes within the next few weeks in the Customs collectorate. Mr. Goodwin, collector of London, retires on a pension. He will be succeeded by Mr. Henderson, collector of Glasgow, and it is probable that Mr. Charles Edwards, late collector of Belfast, and now at Hull, will take Mr. Henderson's place.

There is on foot a movement to present to Mr. J.C. Nixon a mark of appreciation of his services in the head mathematical mastership at the Royal Academical Institution, which he vacated last June. A committee, chiefly composed of Mr. Nixon's former pupils, with Mr. J. Larmour, D.Sc., F.R.S., St. John's College, Cambridge, as treasurer, has been organised to promote this object.



The ss Innishowen, of the Ulster Steamship Company, arrived at the Dufferin Dock yesterday evening from Montreal and Quebec. Her homeward voyage was by the Straits of Belle Isle and the North Channel by the Islands of Tory, and the passage nine days. Her cargo consists of grain, cheese, deals, and sundries consigned to local merchants.



We are requested to correct an unavoidable error in the Ulster Saturday Night. It was stated that the music was supplied by a military band. As a matter of fact the band in question was the Belfast Amateur Temperance Brass Band, of 30 Castle Place, of which Mr. J.R. Tucker is the efficient conductor. This musical society is only four months in existence, but the members are already receiving congratulations on their skilled performances.




ULIDIA V. ENFIELD. -- This match was brought to a conclusion on Monday evening at Ballynafeigh, resulting in a well merited victory for the Enfield eleven by a few runs and a wicket to spare. The match was a most exciting one, and attracted as much, if not more attention, than the senior cup tie, the attendance of junior cricketers being very numerous during the days of the match. The Enfield players displayed great form, and deserved their win. The Ballynafeigh juniors fielded very badly, and threw away any chance of victory they possessed. Scores -- Ulidia, first innings, 59; second innings, 71. Enfield, first innings, 61; second innings, 73 for 9 wickets.



An adjourned meeting of the Board was held in the Boardroom, Ballymagee Street -- the chairman (Mr. John M'Meekan) presiding. Respecting the houses proposed to be built for Mr. Gibson on the Seacliffe Road, Mr. Fulton, architect, had plans of same deposited in the Boardroom. A lease had been granted to the edge of the road, and as it was the desire of the Commissioners that the houses should be set back from in view of a widening at a later date, Mr. Gibson agreed to comply with the Commissioners' request, being allowed four feet. A lengthy communication was read from the Local Government Board relative to the recent public inquiry held by Mr. C. P. Cotton, C.E., into the contemplated gas works extension scheme, stating that they approved generally of the scheme, and concurred with their engineer in the belief that a necessity existed for an extension of the works and mains; but before they could proceed -- inasmuch as a portion of the works would be on new ground -- it would be necessary that they either get the signatures of every owner, occupier, and lessee of every house within three hundred yards of the new gasholder, or that they apply for a provisional order. The clerk was directed to write the Local Government Board asking whether, in the case of owners or lessees who were not in this country, the signatures of their representatives would sufficce.


A model traveller is Mdlle. St. Omer, the French explorer. She has roamed through Europe, Asia, and America without baggage. All she needs is carried in her capacious pockets.



The police are still diligently pursuing their inquiries regarding the outrage in the townland of Falsk, near Ferbane, on Thursday night last, when a house, the property of Miss Eliza Doolan, was burned to the ground. Miss Doolan has sworn an information before Major-General L'Estrange, J.P., in which she states that the burning was malicious, and she has lodged a claim for compensation. This is but one of a series of outrages which have occurred in the Ferbane district during the past couple of weeks. Only a few days ago a donkey was brutally houghed at Kilnagarna, and the windows of a labourer's cottage were broken in at Tinnymuck, and a large sum of money was audaciously stolen from the residence of a farmer near Ballycumber. So far no arrests have been made in connection with any of the occurrences.



One of a party of men who were driving on a car through Booterstown towards Dublin on Sunday evening threw a stone at an old man named Lacy, who was standing on the road. The stone struck him on the forehead, inflicting a terrible gash, and knocking him down. In falling the back of his head came in contact with several pieces of iron, with the result that he sustained other frightful injuries, and was rendered unconscious. He was taken to St. Michael's Hospital, where his injuries were attended to. After the outrage the party galloped off towards Dublin, and although an attempt was made to stop them it was not successful.



The "Standard" earnestly hopes that the offer made last night by the First Lord of the Treasury will be readily and loyally accepted by those who have at heart the interests of the evicted tenants of Ireland. We describe deliberately as an offer, and not as an undertaking, the assurance that the Ministers will bring in on their own responsibility a measure to re-enact section 13 of the Land Act of 1891.



The "Times" says -- It is understood that the Government will move for a new writ for Limerick city as soon as the House has declared Daly's election invalid. A section of the Unionist rank and file were strongly in favour of something being done to punish the constituency for returning a man known to be incapable of sitting, but it has been thought better to act strictly in accordance with precedent, and to take steps for filling the vacancy forthwith.



The Treasury have approved of the War Office granting compassionate pensions of ninepence per day to destitute old soldiers of good character. It is stipulated that none of this pension shall be appropriated in respect of poor law relief which may have been given.



The annual congress of the Federation of Grocers' Associations was held in Glasgow to-day. Mr. Dunwoody, Belfast, the retiring president, in his address, said the time had come when they should seriously consider the propriety of district councils being formed in connection with the Federation -- say four for England, one for Wales, and one or two for Scotland and Ireland -- in order to redress their grievances.




Intelligence has reached Sligo from Cliffeney (14 miles distant) of a paraffin oil lamp accident, which unfortunately terminated with fatal results. It appears that a woman named Mrs. Bridget Clancy, general merchant and draper, was about to retire, and in turning out the shop lamp it went on fire, and to extinguish it she covered it with a portion of her clothing, which immediately took fire, enveloping her from head to foot in flames. None of her family was present at the time. She rushed into the street, and her cries attracting the attention of a man named Gallagher, who happened to be close by, he ran with all haste towards the house, and quickly succeeded in extinguishing the flames, but not before she was burned almost beyond recognition. Priest and doctor quickly arrived, and everything that human skill could do was done to alleviate the unfortunate woman's sufferings, but without avail, as she expired at 6.30 yesterday morning.



(Before Messrs. F.G. Hodder, R.M.; John Hollywood, J.P.; and Thomas H. Browne, J.P.)


William Wallace, a private in the King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry, was charged with having made a false answer to an attestation paper. The accused had previously been discharged with ignominy from another regiment, and on joining the K.O.Y.L.I. he stated he had not before served in the army. The accused's record sheet was not exceptionally clean, and he was sentenced to two month's imprisonment. Mr. Joseph Donnelly prosecuted.


A boy named James Rainey was put forward charged by Constable Cantwell with the larceny of a pair of boots belonging to James Cay. A pawnbroker swore that the boots were pawned by Rainey, and Cay said the boots were his property, adding that they had been taken from the Templemore baths last week while he was bathing. The accused said the boots belonged to his elder brother, and examined a bootmaker, who deposed that he had made the boots for the brother. Their Worships granted a remand to allow further inquiries to be made; letting the accused out on his own recognisances.


James Rankin was placed in the dock, charged by Sergeant Mulvihill with having been absent from the annual training of the Royal Irish Fusiliers at Armagh. The accused, who admitted the offence, was remanded for a week to enable the military authorities to be communicated with.


A man named Coburn appeared in answer to the charge preferred against him by his wife of having assaulted her. The parties had been married for upwards of twenty years, and apparently they had not found that bliss commonly supposed from such a union. He never worked, according to the prosecutrix, for more than two days in the week, and he occasionally assaulted her. On the night of the 16th instant, he struck her three or four times on the head, and so frightened her that she left the house. On returning early the next morning, he dragged her by the hair upstairs, where he blackened her eye and kicked her. Three months' imprisonment was not too severe a sentence for his brutal conduct.

Still another one. John Morrison was charged by Constable Paisley with a similar offence. This unhappy couple had been married for six years, and the husband worked very little. On being called in from the street where he was playing cards, he started to beat his wife, kicking her and trying to choke her. The prisoner alleged that he had been aggravated by his wife. One month's imprisonment was ordered.


A respectable-looking young man called Edward Boyd was charged with having embezzled 3 5s and divers other sums, the property of Messrs. Fitzpatrick Bros., with whom he had been formerly employed. The prisoner was arrested at a quarter to ten o'clock this morning, and admitted having taken the 3 5s. The Court remanded him until to-morrow, allowing him out on bail. Mr. J. S. Osborne defended.


Patrick Doyle, a native of Dublin, was sentenced to three months imprisonment for the larceny of two watches belonging to Mrs. Robson, with whom he had been lodging. Acting-Sergeant Redmond had charge of the case.



This afternoon, in the Recorder's Court, Messrs. E.W. Pim., J.P., and Wm. Masterson, J.P., held an inquiry into the case of death of Robert Milligan, of Belmont Street, who died suddenly yesterday evening. Head-Constable Mahony and Sergeant Houston were present on behalf of the Crown. After evidence, a verdict that death resulted from alcoholic poisoning was returned by the jury.


^ top of page