North Down Herald and Co Down Independent - Saturday, 21 September 1935

Birth

BLACK -- At Westroyd Nursing Home, Bangor, Co. Down, on Saturday, 14th September, to Beth, wife of James M. Black -- a son.

Marriage

M'DADE--JACKSON -- August 15, 1935, at Knock Presbyterian Church, by Rev. Wm. Chestnutt, M.A., by Rev. John Frew, eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. M'Dade, Station House, Carnlea, to Margaret (Madge), second daughter of Mr. and Mrs. S. A. Jackson, Parkgate Avenue, Strandtown.

Deaths

BASHFORD -- September 15, 1935, at his residence, 6 Sandhurst Park, Ballyholme, Bangor, Charles, beloved husband of Margaret Bashford.

MOFFATT -- September 19, 1935, John Moffatt, Crawfordsburn.

RUTHERFORD -- September 14, 1935, Samuel, darling and dearly-beloved husband of Pauline Rutherford, 25 High Street, Bangor. "To be with Christ which is far better." Deeply regretted by his sorrowing Wife and Children (Sam, Pauline and Bobbie).

SAUNDERS -- September 16, 1935, at his brother's residence, 112 Groomsport Road, Bangor, John Saunders.

Clippings

OBITUARY.

MR. S. RUTHERFORD

It is with sincere regret we record the death which occurred at his home, 25 High Street, Bangor, last Saturday, of Mr. S. Rutherford.

Mr. Rutherford was well known and highly esteemed in this town and district. A member of First Bangor Presbyterian Church, he took a keen interest in all church affairs.

His business life was spent in Belfast where he was a partner in an enterprising furnishing concern.

Deceased's son Samuel is a member of the teaching staff of Bangor Central School, while his youngest son Robert is at Bangor Grammar School. His daughter Pauline at present holds a position in the office of the Technical School.

Sympathetic reference to the late Mr. Rutherford was made last Sunday in First Bangor Presbyterian Church by the Rev. J. M. Patterson.

The funeral (to Bangor New Cemetery) on Monday was largely attended, there also being many floral tributes.

Services at the home and graveside were conducted by the Rev. W. G. Wimperis (Trinity Presbyterian Church) and Rev. R. J. Boggs, B.A.

Sympathy will be extended to Mrs. Rutherford and the other members of her family on their sad loss.

Funeral arrangements were carried out by Mr. Jacob O'Neill.

-- -- -- -- --

MR. JOHN MOFFATT.

Widespread regret will be felt on the announcement of the death of Mr. John Moffatt, Crawfordsburn, which occurred on Thursday.

Mr. Moffatt, who had not been enjoying the best of health of late, underwent an operation a few days ago.

An exceedingly popular man, he will be badly missed by numerous friends in the Crawfordsburn district where he worked a farm. He was a member of Crawfordsburn Masonic Lodge 170.

He was also a member of 170 Chapter.

=========================

LOCAL WEDDINGS.

JOHNSTON--MOFFAT.

The wedding took place in Kent Road Church, Glasgow, last Saturday, of Mr. C. Hope Johnston, Bangor, and Miss Helen B. Moffat, Patrick Hill, Hyndland, Glasgow.

The bridegroom, a member of the editorial staff of the "Herald" is a son of Mr. and Mrs. Gilbert Johnston, Somerset House, Dunoon, Scotland. Resident in Bangor for the past four years, he is well-known and highly esteemed by an extensive circle of friends and acquaintances in this district. He is past captain and present secretary of Harlequins Badminton Club; he is also a member of the local Tos H branch.

Miss Moffat is a daughter of the late Mr. W. Moffat and of Mrs. Moffat, of Patrick Hill, Glasgow. She takes a keen interest in Boys' Brigade work and has been an ofttcer of the 41st Glasgow Life Boys' Company for some years.

The bride was attended by her sister, Miss A. Moffat, while the best man was Mr. W. Keir.

After the ceremony a reception was held in Miss Buicks Restaurant, Glasgow,

-- -- -- -- --

BICKERSTAFF--BROWN.

The wedding took place in Bangor on Wednesday of Mr. Herbert Bickerstaff and Miss Annie Brown, two young people well-known in the locality.

The bridegroom, who hails from Dromore, is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Bickerstaff, Dromore. For some years now he has been employed by the Tonic Bus Co.

The bride is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James Brown, of High Street, Bangor. She looked extremely pretty in her wedding gown of while crepe de chine whh picture hat in tone. She carried a beautiful bouquet of roses.

Her bridesmaid was Miss Ellen Brown, who also looked well, her dress being in pink, with hat matching.

The best man was Mr. G. Miller, brother-in-law of the bride.

The officiating clergyman was the Rev. D. W. A. Quinlan, B.A.

The young couple, who have our best wishes for their happiness and prosperity in the future, have gone to Morecambe for their honeymoon.

-- -- -- -- --

MACKAY--FITZSIMONS.

At Holywood Parish Church on Wednesday the marriage was solemnised of Mr. Edward David Mackay, son of Mrs. D. J. Mackay and the late Mr. David Johnston Mackay, and Miss Maud Marian Fitzsimons, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. F. C. Fitzsimons, of Holywood.

The bride, who was given away by her father, wore a slimly cut frock of stone beige phantom crepe, made on sheath lines. An elbow length matching cape and a picture hat to tone completed her ensemble. She carried a bouquet of pink carnations.

She was attended by one bridesmaid -- Mirs M. Symonds, whose gown of deep coral phantom crepe was modelled on the same lines as the bride's.

Archdeacon Manning officiated at the ceremony, and Mr. Robert S. Fitzsimons acted as best man.

-- -- -- -- --

GARNER--YEAMES.

At Helen's Bay Presbyterian Church on Saturday Captain H. Garner, son of Mr. and Mrs. H. Garner, of Liverpool, was married to Miss Margaret Anne Killigrew Yeames, a well-known artist and yachtswoman.

She is the eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. L. Yeames, Old Mill House, Helens Bay.

White Bamboula satin, wrought with very fine gold thread, made the bride's high waisted empire style gown. Modelled on straight lines, it featured the new high, slightly cowled neckline and a short square train, cut in one with the skirt. Her veil of white silk net fell the full length of the train and was held in place by a pearl and orange-blossom headdress. She carried Hariss lilies.

The Misses Barbara and Joan Heath, cousins of the bridegroom, and small attendants, wore quaint, full-skirted frocks of white wind-swept satin. Piping of turquoise blue outlined the high Peter Pan collars on the bodices and cuffs on the puff sleeves. Wide sashes with bows of turquoise taffeta were worn, and on their hair were wreaths of silver and turquoise flowers. They carried bunches of lucky white heather.

The Misses Helene and Anne Yeames, sisters of the bride; Peggie Workman, cousin of the bride; and Betty Irvine, were the grown-up bridesmaids. Their classical frocks of white satin had short trains, and they wore turquoise blue jackets in poult-de-sole, finished with wide quilted basques and bell-frills, and headdresses of silver and turquoise leaves, and sheafs of shaded pink gladioli completed their ensembles.

Rev. Mr. Martin, assisted by Dr. Woodburn of Fitzroy Avenue Church, officiated. Mr. W. Yeames, brother of the bride, and Mr. Julius Groves-Raines, cousin of the bride, were among the ushers at the church. The bridegroom's gifts to the bridesmaids were Florentine Jewellery.

After the ceremony a reception was held at Craigdarragh House, Helen's Bay, which was lent for the occasion by Major Workman. Mrs. Yeames, mother of the bride, received the guests. She wore a smart two-piece ensemble in ocean blue satin crepe, the loose coat being the new finger-tip length. A felt hat to tone completed her ensemble. Mrs. Garner, mother of the bridegroom, chose a sandel gown of beech brown.

-- -- -- -- --

ASHTON--FETHERSTON.

The wedding took place in Bangor Parish Church last Saturday or Miss Sheila Fetherston, elder daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Seaward Fetherston, Dalmeny House, Bangor, and Mr. Edward Lister Ashton, eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. J. C. Ashton, Oakfield, Mytholmroyd, Yorkshire.

Rev. Canon Bradley, M.A., rector officiated, assisted by Rev. D. W. A. Quinian, M.A. Mr. E. H. Emery, Mus. Bac., F.R.C.O., presided at the organ and the hymns were "Gracious Spirit" and "O Perfect Love" The church was decorated with Harrissi lilies and carnations/ Mr. Ronald Holroyd, Halifax, was best man.

The bride's gown of silver brocade was cut on classical lines, the decolletage being finely gauged forming a square neckline. The back of the gown had a soft cowl falling almost to the waistline, and the sheath fitting skirt was elongated info a long oval shaped train with ruched ivory chiffon. Her billowy French tulle veil had a wide edging of silver and was mounted on a chaplet of pearls and orange blossom. She carried a sheaf of Harissi lilies and lily of the valley. Her ornaments were a string of pearls, a diamond wristlet watch (the gift of the bridegroom).

The bridesmaids were the Misses Maureen, Patricia, and Isobel Fetherston, sisters of the bride; Miss Bunty Ashton, sister of the bridegroom; and Miss Margaret Greeves and Miss Kathleen Woods. They were foamy picture frocks of Dubarry blue French tulle, spotted with orchid mauve, which had little frilled caplets closely appliqued with orchid mauve satin in spot design, the waistlines being girdled with flowing sashes to match. A new note was the deep goffered frills at the back of the skirt only, ending in short trains. The headdresses of cellophane opal tinted Madonna lilies had orchid mauve centres.

The trainbearer, little Miss Biddy Mac-Leod, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Torquil Mac-Leod, of Inverness, wore a Kate Greenaway frock of ivory tulle, daintily sprayed with silver lame leaves, and had a silver lame sash. Her headdress was a garland of silver flowers, and she wore a little bracelet to match.

Mr. and Mrs. Fetherstone entertained about 150 guests at Dalmeny during the afternoon. The honeymoon will be spent in Southern England. Going away the bride wore a two-piece suit in ocean green angora, the three-quarter length coat being trimmed with a long roll collar of ocelot fur, and finished with a brown belt. Her hat of brown stitched failie, in the new Aureole shape.

=========================

SCRABO TOWER AND HILL.

FAMOUS LANDMARK.

Scrabo Tower would not so magnificently dominate Strangford Lough if it had not been for a volcanic eruption.

The story is fascinating and simple to understand without big geologicai words.

Scrabo Hill was once a huge sandbank, formed like any landmark ut Portrush by the sea and wind. But such a splendid tower could not be built on sand. What happened?

A very long time ago by some freak of nature a volcanic eruption occurred on the big sandbanks between Comber and Newtownards. The molten lava burst up to the surface, spread itself out, and finally formed the thick beds of basalt which we know as Scrabo Hill.

The flat parts round Newtownards were worn down by rain, frost and ice, but Scrabo was protected by the thick mass of hard lava, and still crowned by this volcanic cap, stood out as a high hill (540 feel), on which a strong tower might be safely built. The lava on top of Scrabo is several hundred feel thick.

The Tower is of black stone with pointed turrets, and is 140 feet high. It was built in 1858 to the memory of General Charles William Stewart-Vane, third Marquis of Londonderry, who, although a wonderful man, was rather overshadowed historically by his relative, Lord Castlereagh.

This Marquis had an eventful life. He was born in 1778, and at eighteen entered the Army. He rose quickly to be lieutenant-colonel of the famous 5th Dragoons when that regiment was broken up for mutiny.

He was adjutant-general under Wellington, and fought at Waterloo. Then he became an envoy-extraordinary to Berlin, and was British Ambassador at Vienna. So much for his military and diplomatic life.

He owned great coal mines at Durham, which he wanted to develop, and built a harbour at Seaham which cost over 250,000, an enormous sum in those days.

He next turned his attention to literature, and wrote a history of the Peninsular War In Spain. He also wrote an eight volume life of Lord Castlereagh.

He died in 1854, leaving vast estates in England and Ireland, and the monument was erected in 1858.

Benjamin Disraeli was so impressed with him that he portrayed his character in a novel, "Vivian Grey," Under the name of Colonel Von Trumpetson, using the incident where the original fought a duel with Henry Grattan.

Scrabo Tower is open to visitors, and the view from the top is magnificent. On a clear day one gets the impression of viewing the whole of County Down and County Antrim. The coast of Scotland is quite plain, also the Isle of Man. Strangford Lough lies spreading to the south, and one can see it to Portaferry, where it meets the sea twenty miles away. A new and highly interesting feature of this extensive view is the aerodrome at Newtownards. Indeed, one gets the impression of being up in an aeroplane from the top of Scrabo Tower.

Ulster folk are proud of Scrabo Tower, for its whole plan was inspired and magnificent. It is curious to think it would have been totally impossible had it not been for a volcanic eruption of molten lava before the dawn of civilisation.

[W.M. in "Ireland's Saturday Night."]

=========================

DOWN SCHOLARSHIPS.

MANY BANGOR NAMES.

Down County Regional Committee have awarded the following scholarships:-

JUNIOR SCHOLARSHIPS.

David Yeary, Leighton C. Bell, Jane Hassan, all Bangor Central P.E.C.; Margaret Marshall, Dundonald; Jack Roundhill, Vicent Denard, both of Bangor Central; Thomas E. M'Henry, Craigfad; Edith M'Cracken, Carginagh; Albert W. Knight, Bangor Central; Ronald Nelson, Dundonald; Marion Stewart, Bangor Central; Thomasina M. Cherry, Newtownards Model; Andrew N. Taylor, Bangor Central; Francis C. Dorman, Movilla Senior; David Anderson, Abercorn; Sarah J. Crothers, Annalone; Robert N. Caswell, Barbara E. Moffett, both Bangor Central; Samuel H. Gunning, Movilla Senior; Frances M. Murphy, Bangor Central; Desmond M'Mullan, Kilclief Boys'.

SENIOR SCHOLARSHIP.

Patrick V. Waters, Newry Christian Brothers; Mary A. Conville, Our Lady's, Newry; William Hamilton, Regent House, Newtownards; William Ferguson, Sullivan Upper, Holywood; Thomas M. Roulston, Campbell College; Sydney Elliot, SulLivan Upper; James Kirk, Bangor Grammar; Peter Marron, Newry Christian Brothers; Gerald M'Morran, Regent House Sec.; Hugh Cameron, Bangor Grammar; Sarah J. Cochrane, Down High School; Muriel Taylor, Bangor Collegiate; Thomas J. Addis, Sullivan Upper; William R. M'Cullough, Bangor Grammar; John C. B. Irwin, Sullivan Upper; George Larmour, Banbridge Academy; Robert H. Redpath, Belfast Mercantile; Kathleen Johnston, Regent House Sec.; Joan A. Hayes, S.H.M. Convent, Lisburn

UNIVERSITY SCHOLARSHIPS.

Jean M. Henderson, Sullivan Upper; James K. Magesnnis, St. Malachy's College; James R. Boyd, Royal Academical Institution; Mary J. R. Quin, Our Lady's Newry; Andrew A. G. Carson, Banbridge Academy,

TRAINING COLLEGE SCHOLARSHIP

James Hughes, Regent House Secondary School.

 

^ top of page