Northern Whig - 8 January 1850


On the 1st inst., in Lurgan Church, by the Rev. W. P. Oulton, Humphrey Sample, Esq., of Kilkenny, to Miss Mary Sweeny, of Woodbine-cottage, Lurgan.

Dec. 15, at Corfu, George de la Poer Beresford, Esq., Aide-de-Camp, son of the late Henry Barre Beresford, Esq., of Learmount Castle, Londonderry, to Anna, daughter of Major-General Conyers, commanding te troops in the Ionian Islands.

January 2, in St. Paul's Church, Southsea, Portsmouth, by the Rev. Thomas Hanley Ball, Incumbent of Leney, David Nairn Welsh, Esq., R.N., Commander of her Majesty's Yacht Fairy, to Elizabeth Caroline, eldest daughter of Lieutenat Robert Poole, R.N., her Majesty's ship Illustrious.


On the 3d inst., at Portsmouth, the wife of James Searight, Esq., Solicitor, of a son.

On the 4th inst., at Galgorm, Ballymena, the lady of John Raphael, Esq., of a son.


On the 5th inst., at his residence, 7, York-street, Mr. Joshua Moffet, of this town.

On the 7th inst., at 4, Sussex-place, Christina, wife of Wm. Edward Batwell, Esq., Solicitor, eighteen hours after she had, prematurely, given birth to a child.

On the 5th instant, at 96, North-street, after a tedious illness, Jane, eldest daughter of Mr. Daniel M'Cann.

On the 5th inst., at Newtownbreda, Joseph, youngest son of the late Edward Byrne.

On the 3d inst., at Ballymena, George, eldest son of Mr. Jas Taylor, aged 18 years.

On the 31st ult., Mr. James Kennedy, an old and respected inhabitant of Lurgan.

On the 4th inst., aged 70 years, Mr. Samuel Agnew, Lisnashacker, near Moira.


MORE RIBBONISM IN COUNTY DOWN. -- On Saturday night, the 29th ult., between eight and nine o'clock, two unoffending Protestants, named Wright and Wilkinson, on their return from Rathfriland to the neighbourhood of Hilltown, were waylaid, knocked down, and beaten, by a number of persons, one of whom had a powerful and deadly weapon, vulgarly called a "coult," having a spring attached to it. But for the timely coming up of the constabularly, who were then on patrol at Colgan's hill, the two men would likely have been murdered. The attack was made convenient to the door of a man, named Pat M'Shane, who said, on Monday last, in Rathfriland, that, when he saw it (the attack) commence, he went into his house, shut the door, and, unconcernedly, looked out of a window, making no attempt to rescue or save the lives of two unoffending fellow-men! Such is the influence of Ribbonism! Owing to the vigilance and activity of the constabulary, four of the perpetrators of this atrocious outrage were marched into Rathfriland, on Wednesday morning; two of them named Fitzpatrick, a third ---- M'Poland, and the fourth, ---- M'Shane, son of the above mentioned Pat, who was a calm spectator of the cowardly attempt at murder. -- Correspondent of Newry Telegraph.


DESTRUCTION OF LOUGHREA WORKHOUSE BY FIRE. -- About two o'clock, on Thursday morning, a fire broke out in the Union Workhouse of Loughrea, which totally destroyed the principal building. Notwithstanding that every exertion was used to suppress the conflagration, the whole of the main building was burned to the ground. The premises were fully insured; but the stock of bedding, wearing apparel, and furniture consumed were not insured to the extent of the injury done. An investigation into the cause of the fire has just terminated, but not the slightest clue has been discovered as to its origin. The books and other documents connected with the Union were fortunately saved. -- Dublin Press.


BURNING OF THE DEAD. -- An Association has been formed, at the City of London Mechanics' Institution, to promote the practice of decomposing the dead by the agency of fire. The members propose to burn, with becoming solemnity, such of their dead as shall have left their remains at the disposal of the Association. The entrance fee is 1s; and the Council meet to enrol members, &c., on the second and last Wednesday in each month. -- The Builder.


LAUNCH FROM THE PATENT SLIP. -- On Saturday last, about three o'clock, the Marchioness of Bute, 856 tons register, was launched from the patent slip on the Queen's Island. She had been brought up for repairs, though she had about 150 tons of salt as a portion of her cargo, on board, and upwards of 200 tons of ballast which she retained. Owing to the severity of the weather, there were but few persons present to witness the proceedings. The launch was effected with the utmost despatch, and without the slightest obstruction. When the hour had arrived, and the necessary arrangements were completed, the support was withdrawn, and the vessel glided rapidly down the slip into deep water. This fine ship, a short time after, unfortunately got upon a bank on Queen's Island, where she still remains, and became what is technically termed "hogged."


The Officers of Health beg to acknowledge the receipt, by Miss Jamison, of one pound each from Mrs. J. Owden and Mr. Richardson, for the relief of the poor persons whose houses were lately flooded by the overflow of the Blackstaff.


REDUCTION OF RENTS. -- C. Humphrys, Esq., and Geo. A. Wray, Esq., have instructed their agent, Henry C. Peoples, Esq., to give an abatement of 15 per cent. to their tenants in Donegall.


MAIL COMMUNICATION WITH THE SOUTH OR IRELAND. -- The arbitrator, Jonathan Henn, Esq., to whom the question of compensation for the carriage of the mails to Cork, Limerick, and Waterford, by the great Southern and Western Railway, was referred, has decided upon granting the Company 4s 6d per mile for the night mail, and 1s per mile for the day mail. It will amount to upwards of 40,000l.


LIGHT ON THE ISLAND OF RATHLIN. -- We understand that, for these two months past, men have been busily engaged in constructing a lighthouse upon Rathlin, which, we have no doubt, will be found of great Use to the navigation of the difficult sea which surrounds the island. -- Derry Sentinel.


We have to announce the death of George Powney Thompson, Esq., of the Bengal Civil Service, of spasmodic affection of the heart and liver, at Agra, on the 11th of November. He was Judge of the Sudder Court, North-West Provinces, having served the East India Company thirty-five years in the Judicial Department, without having visited England during that period. He was distinguished as an upright, honest,and valuable public servant, and sincerely regretted by a large family and many friends.


MILITARY PROMOTIONS AND EXCHANGES. -- War-office, Jan. 4. -- 7th Dragoon Guards -- Veterinary Surgeon G. Edlin, from the 3rd Light Dragoons, to be Veterinary Surgeon, vice Gardiner, who exchanges. 3d Light Dragoons -- Veterinary Surgeon B. C. R. Gardiner, from the 7th Dragoon Guards, to be Veterinary Surgeon, vice Edlin, who exchanges. 14th Regiment of Foot -- Captain T. M'Lean Farmer, fromm 51st Foot, to be Captain, vice Blundell, who exchanges. 15th Foot -- Ensign A. Todd to be Lieutenant, by purchase, vice Boyle, promoted in 89th Foot. 51st Foot -- Captain W. Blundell, from 14th Foot, to be Captain, vice Farmer, who exchanges. 89th -- Lieutenant W. Boyle, from 15th Foot, to be Captain, by purchase, vice Crawford, who retires. 3d West India Regiment -- Ensign J. Hardy to be Lieutenant, without purchase, vice Roberts, deceased. Royal Canadian Rifle Regiment -- Lieutenant T. C. Bunbury, from half-pay, 54th Foot, to be Lieutenant, vice Cox, promoted; Ensign J. H. Blake to be Lieutenant, by purchase, vice Bunbury, who retires.


NAVAL APPOINTMENTS. -- Captain John Adams (1843), to the Gladiator, advanced war steamer, at Devonport. This steam-frigate was built at Woolwich, in 1844, from a design by Captain Sir William Symonds, late Surveyor of the Navy. She is 1,190 tons burthen, with engines of 430-horse power. Lieutenant Samuel Fowell (1842), to the Gladiator. Lieutenant William Lambard (1848), to ditto. Lieutenant Charles Edward Sidebottom (1849), to ditto. Shephard M'Cormick, Commander (1841), has been appointed to the Agincourt, 72, ordinary depot ship, Captain W. J. H. Johnstone, vice Commander Charles Hall, whose period of service has expired. Jonathan Gain, to be Paymaster and Purser of the Agincourt, 72, vice William Brown (b), whose term of service has expired. James J. H. Groves, Lieutenant, Royal William, for rank. Thomas B. M. Sullivan, Mate, to the Stromboli. G. F. Slaughter, Paymaster and Purser, to the Contest. John Henry Treliving, Assistant-Engineer, 3d class. Edward Main Chaffeus, Clerk to the Admiral's office, Devonport.


DISTRIBUTION OF THE MEDITERRANEAN FLEET. -- In the Gulf of Adramiti, to the Southward of the Dardanelles the Queen, 116, bearing the flag of Vice-Admiral Sir William Parker, the Commander-in-Chief; Caledonia, 120; Howe, 120; Powerful, 84; Vengeance, 84; Ganges, 84; Bellerophon, 78; Odin and Firebrand, steam frigates; Bulldog, Rosamond, and Spiteful, steam sloops; Tartarus, steam vessel; and Sharpshooter, steam-gun vessel. At Constantinople, the Dragon, steam frigate; and the Ardent, steam sloop. At Salonica, the Research; and in the Grecian Archipelago, the Auxiliary surveying vessel. At the Piraeus of Athens, the Racer, 12. At Cephalonia, the Frolic, 16. At Malta, the Ceylon, 12, receiving ship, bearing the flag of Rear-Admiral Harvey, Superintendent of the dockyard thereat, and second in command; Prince Regent, 92; Hercules, store ship; Voyage, surveying vessel; Growler and Spitfire, steam sloops; and Oberon, steam vessel. On her way from Malta to Lisbon, the Thetis, 36. At Naples, the Locust, steam vessel (manned by the officers and crew of the Antelope). At Leghorn, the Porcupine, steam vessel. At Gibraltar, the Arrogant, steam frigate; and the Janus, steam vessel.



Friday, 4th January

THE Court sat at twelve o'clock -- Theophilus Jones, Esq., Assistant-Barrister; D. Lindsay, H. Bradshaw, J. T. Reilly, A. Cowan, R. H. Dolling, Esqrs., on the Bench.

There were six persons registered, and very few applications for spirit licenses. After these were a few appeals; the only one of any interest was the following, in which Hans M'Mordy and David M'Mordy were appellants, and the Bann Reservoir Company were respondents. It was an appeal against a distress warrant for rates due to the Company by the appellants. The preliminaries having been admitted, and the evidence of the striking of the rate given, after some discussion, the Court dismissed the appeal on points raised by Mr. M'Clelland, the respondent's Solicitor.

The following gentlemen were then sworn on the

GRAND JURY: -- James Henderson, John M'Cartin, Jas. C. Moreland, Daniel Magill, Robert Harrison, Edward Berwick, Thomas M'Caw, James M'Connell, John M'Conkey, John Harrison, Charles Arbuthnot, Wm. Mulligan, Francis Hall, Hans M'Murdie, William Macoun, Robert Lindsay, John Main, Francis Watson, Robert Hayes, Jas. Agnew, John Frackleton, William Saul, and Samuel Thompson, Esqrs.

The BARRISTER briefly addressed the Grand Jury, directing their attention to several cases of party riot, originating in the Rathfriland district.

The Foreman, Mr. Henderson, and his fellow Jurors, then retired, and shortly after returned into Court with some bills found, when

Wm. Fulton was put to the bar to plead to an indictment for felony, and having pleaded not guilty, the following Jury were sworn: --

PETIT JURY. -- Edward M'Cartney, James Knox, John Lockhart, Robert Frazier, Daniel Muroe, Win. M'Caul, John Mulligan, Wm. M'Dade, Geo. M'Leevy, John Heron, John M'Dade, John O'Niell.

Wm. Fulton was indicted and given in charge for stealing a spool of yarn, the property of James Carson, on the 5th December, at Banbridge. Guilty; three months' imprisonment, and to be kept at hard labour.

Ann Johnston, for stealing geese, the property of Samuel Mahon, on 3d December. Guilty; four months, and hard labour.

Biddy Sefton, for stealing a quantity of clothes, in Hillsborough, the property of Mark Blythe, on 21st Nov. Guilty; nine months and hard labour.

Robert M'Cartan, for stealing soap, on 15th Nov., at Magheralin, the property of Selina Pickering. Guilty; one month, and hard labour.

Samuel Patterson,for stealing clothes, the property of Thomas Crozier, of Hillsborough, on 111h October last. Guilty.

The Court adjourned at six o'clock.

Saturday, December 5.

Ann Gordon, for stealing bags, the property of Robert Bell, on 29th November last, at Drumlough. Pleaded guilty; two months' hard labour.

Michael Murphy, for stealing money from the person of Bernard M'Anally, on 21st November, at Hillsborough. Guilty; twelve months, and hard labour.

Margaret Gilmore, for stealing milk, by milking the cows of John M'Mullan, on 30th September last, at Slieveniskey. Guilty; one month, and hard labour.

Some other cases of larceny were disposed of, and the following cases came on for trial: --


Owen Rice, John Rice, Wm. M'Key, John Warnock, John Thomas, Samuel Wilson, Wm. Keenan, Edward Burns, John Carson, David Carson, Edward Brady, Owen M'Poland, and Thomas Keenan, were indicted for riot and assault, on Felix M'Cann and James M'Cann, at Ballyvarley, on the 27th of October last.

Mr. RUTHVEN prosecuted for the Crown.

The two witnesses for the prosecution prevaricated to such an extent, that the Crown gave up the case. The prisoners were acquitted, and the Court ordered Felix M'Cann and James M'Cann to be at once committed to jail, for six calendar months, for contempt of Court, in refusing to answer, and most gross and wilful prevarication.


James Friars, John Geddis, John Little, James Mitchell, and James Kinlay,for riot, at Lynas, on the 13th Nov. last, and assaulting John Murphy, senior, and John Murphy, junior, at same time and place.

John Murphy, senior, examined by Mr. RUTHVEN -- Is a publican, and lives at Lynas, about two miles from Rathfriland. On the night of the 13th November, about 9 o'clock, the prisoners all come to his house to drink; three of them, Friars, Kinlay, and Davis, who is not on trial, had guns; they were very noisy, and witness went upstairs to get them out, when some of them threatened to shoot him; he got them out; Friars broke his window with a gun, and, when he went out to put the shutters on, John Mitchell, John Geddis, and John Little struck him on the head; stones were thrown at the door; Friars broke a pane of glass with his gun, and witness was greatly alarmed. Witness's wife ran out of the house, and his cousin, John Murphy, came to him when the row was going on.

Cross-examined by Mr. CRAWLEY -- Has no wish to prosecute; has forgiven the boys all that took place; they are Protestants; witness is a Roman Catholic; does not wish to prosecute at all; was not at all hurt by the blows he got; they had drunk a good deal in his house; did not call them any names; gave them no had language at all; said they were making too much noise in the house.

John Murphy, junior, examined by Mr. RUTHVEN -- Recollects the night of 13th November last; was raised out of his bed by John Murphy's wife; she said their house was going to be wrecked; he went over; saw the prisoners just coming out; witness was struck by John Geddis, on the mouth; in the rush, witness was put out with them, and the door was shut; was afraid, and went into the ditch to hide; they had guns with them; saw them strike the door with the guns; saw one stone thrown; was greatly frighted; after they left the house, one shot was fired. Heard them say they would make a "Dolly's Brae of Murphy's Hill;" heard the Pope cursed, also heard them say they would take lives before they would go.

Cross-examined by Mr. TYRELL -- All the prisoners were there; can't say if they were drunk; does not wish to prosecute, if he could help it; would rather not; has no wish to punish the boys.

In answer to the COURT -- There was not anything to have prevented the prisoners wrecking the house if they had liked; but they did not do it.

Sub-Inspector Hill, examined by Mr. RUTHVEN -- On the day after the occurrence saw the house; there were marks of stones on the door, and, also, as if struck by the muzzle of a gun.

The case for the Crown closed.

William Conn, examined by Mr. CRAWLEY -- Went into the public-house with the boys; they all drank a good deal; they were doing no harm; it was a boy called M'Neilly that brought them there to treat them; saw them do no harm; heard them say they had been out shooting all that day; it was then nine o'clock at night.

Cross-examined by Mr. RUTHVEN -- Heard that they lived four or five miles from that; could not tell where they had been; they are Protestants; did not hear any party expressions that night; did not see the window broken.

John Harris, examined -- Was out with the boys, on the 13th of November, all day, shooting; when they came to Murphy's, heard them tell the mistress not to be afraid of them, that they would not offend her; heard Murphy tell them they were like a set of "shoolers" rather than decent people; when he said that they jumped up and took up the guns to go out of the house; saw nothing done to the door.

Cross-examined by Mr. RUTHVEN -- Had been out from ten o'clock that day with the boys shooting; all live in Drumadonnell; it is five miles from Murphy's house; I just went in there to refresh; sat some time -- about an hour; the party drank almost half-a-gallon of whiskey among them. Witness swears Friars did not break the window with his gun; Kinlay had a gun; a boy called Davis had a gun, but he is not on trial; when the boys came down stairs witness took Friars away from the house; can't say what happened; didn't throw any stones or see any thrown; heard no shots after that; had fired shots during the day, but not any after being at Murphy's; thinks all were drunk; was pretty well himself, but knew what he was doing; thinks he was sober.

The BARRISTER charged the Jury. He said he thought there was not evidence to sustain the charge of riot, for there did not appear to be much violence, according to the first witness; and, according to both witnesses, there was nothing to prevent them wrecking the house, if that had been their object; and, if the Jury took that view of it, they should acquit them on that charge. But, as to the assaults, there was evidence to sustain these indictments, though it appeared that Mr. Murphy had received hardly any injury, if any at all.

Verdict -- Not guilty of riot. But James Mitchell, John Geddis, and John Little, guilty of assault. Sentence -- Fined 5s each, to be paid to the Crown.

John M'Clenaghan, Hugh Guiney, and Robert Lewers, for riot, on 17th October, 1849, at Ballysallagh.

James Mills examined by Mr. RUTHVEN -- Had a house at Ballysallagh for the last five years; was served with an ejectment for it by Guiney, for last October Newry Sessions. Witness went to Newry, to defend it. On her return, she found the house with the roof pulled off it, and her children put out of it, and part of her furniture was taken away; witness had left home on Wednesday, and returned on Saturday night; all was destroyed; the ejectment was proceeded with.

Cross-examined by Mr. CLARK, but nothing was elicited.

Margaret Mills, examined by Mr. RUTHVEN -- Is daughter of first witness; proved that on the night before the Sessions, when she and her brother and sisters were in bed, they were awoke by part of the roof failing on them, and fully identified all the prisoners taking part in it; that she and the other children were obliged to leave it in the middle of the night; and that the house was nearly pulled down by the prisoners on that night.

This witness (a child about thirteen years of age) was cross-examined by Mr. CLARK, but her testimony remained unshaken.

The defence set up was an alibi, but it utterly failed. Verdict -- Guilty. Sentence -- Six months' imprisonment, and hard labour.

The Court adjourned at six o'clock.

Two criminal cases remain for trial -- one is a case of very considerable importance, and is expected to occupy the greater part of Monday. There are 350 civil bills, and 44 ejectments for hearing.


MELANCHOLY AND FATAL ACCIDENT. -- A most tragical event occurred at Earlsgift, the residence of the Honourable and Reverend Charles Douglas, on Wednesday afternoon, during the absence of that gentleman from home. -- A little boy, named Barney Doherty, a stable servant, son of Mr. Douglas's coachman, was desired by his father to watch occasionally a pan of coals that had been placed hot in the carriage for the purpose of airing it. It appears that the poor little boy, not aware of the danger he incurred, either out of fun, or supposing that the carriage would be better aired by his doing so, pulled up all the blinds, so as to exclude fresh air, and remained himself in the carriage. The boy not returning from the carriage, his father being surprised at his remaining so long a time away, went to see after him, and found him quite dead. -- A medical man was instantly sent for, and everything done to restore animation, but all without avail; he was quite dead. A Coroner's inquest has been held upon the body, and a verdict of "Died by suffocation" has been returned. -- Derry Sentinel.


WRECK OF TWO ENGLISH VESSELS. -- A letter from Fecamp of the 30th ult. announces the wreck on the coast of the English brig the Planet, of Whitby, and the Anna Lucy, of London. The crew of the Planet were saved; the fate of the crew of the Anna Lucy is not known.


^ top of page