Northern Whig - Friday, 30 March 1888


KIRKER -- March 28, at The Terrace, Royal Naval Hospital, Hadar, Gosport, Hants, the wife of Gilbert Kirker, M.D., R.N., of son.

M'CREA -- March 27, at Church Street, Dromore, County Down, the wife of James P. M'Crea, of a daughter.

WILLIAMS -- March 24, at The Mount, Waverton, Cheshire, the wife of Charles Roslin Williams, of a daughter.

WOODWARD -- March 28, at 31, Victoria Road, Kensington, London, the wife of Richard B. Woodward, of a daughter.


TEMPLE--LYTLE -- March 29, at Draperstown Presbyterian Church, by the Rev. C. C. M. Dickey, assisted by the Rev. W. Torrens. Charles Temple, Esq., M.D., Comrie, Perthshire. Scotland, to Martha, daughter of the late Matthew Lytle, Es., Magherafelt.

WALKER--BARNE -- March 27, at the Parish Church, Kingswear, South Devon, by the Rev. F. Walker, Vicar, brother of the bridegroom, assisted by the Rev. C. M. Barne, B.D., uncle of the bride, Daniel Jones Walker, of Thornhill Lodge, Bitterne, near Southampton, eldest surviving son of the late Rev. William Walker, M.A., Vicar of Bardney, Lincolnshire, to Anne Elizabeth, widow of the late Captain Dunsford Barne, Madras Light Infantry.

YOUNG--FLOAT -- March 28, at St. Mary's Church, Waterloo Park. Liverpool, by the Rev. T. K. Dickson, Percy, third surviving son of Thomas Young, Esq., of Mark Lane, and Home Lyn, Woodberry Down, London, to Florence Irene, only surviving daughter of George H. Float, Esq., of Waterloo, Liverpool.


BOWDEN -- March 28, at 3, High Street, Holywood, Jane Bowden, daughter of the late Hugh Bowden, Craigavad. Interment in Holywood Burying-ground, to-morrow (Saturday) morning, 31st inst., at half-past nine o'clock.

COLLIER -- March 28, at her residence, 126, Albion Place, Belfast, Anna, the dearly-loved wife of E. C. Collier. Funeral to-morrow (Saturday) morning, at nine o'clock.

FLECK -- March 29, at her residence, Barn Mills, Carrickfergus, Sarah, dearly-beloved wife of David Fleck. Her remains will be removed from the above address for interment in the Belfast Borough Cemetery, to-morrow (Saturday) afternoon, at half-past one o'clock, passing Jennymount about four o'clock. Friends will please accept this intimation. DAVID FLECK.

GIBSON -- March 28, at Ballycopeland, Thomas Gibson, aged seventy-three years. The remains of my beloved husband will be removed for interment in the family burying-ground, Millisle, to-morrow (Saturday) afternoon, 31st inst., at two o'clock. Friends will please accept this intimation. MARGARET GIBSON.

M'GAGHEY -- March 22, at 27, Little Grosvenor Street, Robert M'Gaghey. The remains of my beloved father will be removed for interment in the Shankhill Burying-ground, this (Friday) afternoon, at three o'clock. Friends will please accept this intimation. MAGGIE M'WILLIAMS.

Members of the Olive Branch Tent I.O.R., 1105, and the Order are requested to attend the funeral of our late brother. DUNCAN KIRKWOOD, W.Sec.

YEATES -- March 29, at 24, Lincoln Avenue, Sarah Yeates, eldest daughter of the late Gawn Yeates, Newtownbreda. Funeral to-morrow (Saturday) morning, at ten o'clock.

-- -- -- --

DAVIES -- March 27, at Wrexham, Thomas Whelan, eldest surviving son of the late Thomas Davies, of Rowley & Davies, Minceing Lane, London, and grandson ot the late Sir Thomas Whelan, of Elmville, County Dublin, aged thirty-eight years.

ROBB -- March 28, at the residence of her uncle, John Henderson, Catherine Place. Bangor, Catherine (Totie), only and dearly-beloved daughter of Patrick Robb, Marino, aged two years and six months.

SHAW -- March 20, at Brighton, Susan, widow of the Rev. George Shaw, late Rector of Annaduff, County Leitrim, aged eighty-three years.

SHAW -- March 29, John Poynton, youngest child of the Rev. Wilfred W. Shaw, aged seven months.

SHARP -- March 27, at Gunnersbury, Amelia, widow of the late E. W. F. Sharp, in the eighty-fourth year of her age.




PURSUANT to the Statute 22 and 23 Vic., c.35, NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN, that all Creditors and other persons having claims upon the Estate of Thomas K. WHEELER, late of Belfast, Medical Doctor, Deceased, who died intestate on the 13th day of January, 1888, and of whose Personal Estate and Effects Letters of Administration were granted by the Belfast District Registry of the Probate and Matrimonial Division of her Majesty's High Court of Justice in Ireland, on the 7th day of March, 1888, to Thomas K. Wheeler, of Great Victoria Street, Belfast, M.D., the son of the Deceased, are required to send particulars thereof, in writing, to the Administrator, at our Offices St. George's Hall, Belfast, on or before the 7th day of May next, after which day the Assets of said Deceased will be distributed, having regard only to such Claims as the Administrator shall have had notice.

Dated this 7th day of March, 1888.

WHEELER & M'CUTCHEON, Solicitors for the Administrator, St. George's Hall, Belfast.

-- -- -- -- -- -- --



PURSUANT to the Statute 22nd and 23rd Victoria, chapter 35, Notice is hereby Given, that all Persons claiming to be Creditors of, or otherwise to have any Claim or Demand against or affecting the Estate or Effects of, ISAAC M'KINSTRY M'NIECE, late of Crew Mount, Glenavy, in the County of Antrim, Farmer, who died on the 17th day of January, 1888, are hereby required, on or before the 1st day of June next, to furnish, in writing, the particulars of such Claim or Demand to the undersigned, the Solicitor for Jonathan Peel, John Preston, and Edward J. Johnson, the Executors of the said Deceased, to whom Probate of the Will was granted on the 8th day of February, 1888, forth of the District Registry at Belfast of the Probate and Matrimonial Division of the High Court of Justice in Ireland. And Notice is hereby further Given, that after the said 1st day of June next the said Executors will proceed to distribute the Assets of the said Deceased among the parties entitled thereto, having regard only to the Claims or Demands of which such notice as above required shall have been given.

Dated this 22nd day of March, 1888.

M. J. SMYTH, Solicitor for tho said Executors, Lisburn, and 28, Waring Street, Belfast.




YESTERDAY morning an accident happened on board a hopper dredger belonging to the Belfast Harbour Commissioners, which was being taken to the graving dock, whereby a young man named James M'Keown lost his life. It appears that the unfortunate young man was working on board the dredger, when one of the buckets fell, striking him on the head. The other men on board who witnessed the occurrence at once rushed to his relief, and a messenger was sent for medical assistance, but on the arrival of Dr. M'Kee it was found that life was extinct. At eight o'clock last night an inquest was held at the Morgue by Dr. Dill (borough coroner). The first witness examined was John M'Keown, 27, Glenallen Street, who identified the body as that of his son. The deceased was 23 years of age, and was in the employment of the Harbour Commissioners. Wm. Mitchell deposed that yesterday the deceased was working on board the hopper dredger in the Abercorn Basin. The dredger was going into the basin for repairs. Before the occurrence he saw him working at a chain belonging to the buckets, and immediately afterwards he saw him "jammed" by the buckets. The deceased was working with the other men when he came back from his breakfast. They were working under the orders of the mate. The bucket by which the deceased was struck was empty, but it weighed between 17 and 18 cwt. The deceased had been engaged at the same kind of work for the past two years, and was quite familiar with the work. He was sober at the time of the accident, and the men who were working with him were also sober. Wm. Blythe, mate of the dredger, said that at the time of the accident the men were carrying on the work in the ordinary way. Another man was working with the deceased when the chain slipped. He did not see the bucket fall upon the deceased. After the bucket was lifted off the deceased he died. John Dick said that the deceased was working at the chain of another bucket when the other fell upon him. The dredger was going into the Abercorn Graving Dock at the time the accident occurred. Dr. M'Kee deposed to having examined the body of the deceased. He found the bones of the head and face shattered. His left collar-bone was shattered, and his left arm was lacerated. The deceased died from these injuries. The jury returned a verdict of accidental death.


MELANCHOLY CASE OF SUDDEN DEATH. -- Yesterday evening a very melancholy case of sudden death took place at the Great Northern terminus. It appears that shortly before five o'clock Martha Emerson, the wife of a signal man in the employment of the Company, had just entered one of the carriages, when she took seriously ill. A messenger was instantly despatched for medical assistance, and in a short time Dr. Torrens and Dr. M'Kee were on the spot. On examination they found that life was extinct. The body was removed to the residence of the husband, 32, Wesley Street. The deceased, who was very delicate, was about proceeding with her mother to the country for the benefit of her health. The matter was reported to the Coroner, but no inquest was considered necessary.




[Before the Hon. Colonel FORBES, R.M.; and Mr. ARTHUR HAMILL.]

ASSAULTING A FATHER. -- Thomas Magowan was charged with assaulting his father on Saturday night last. Mr. F. Kerr prosecuted. The evidence was to the effect that on Saturday evening the defendant came home and refused to give any money to his father. Afterwards he caught him by the throat, and knocked him down. Some time ago the prisoner was sent to gaol for two months for a similar offence. Mr. Kerr asked that a heavy penalty should be imposed. Their WORSHIPS ordered the accused to find bail -- himself in £10 and two sureties in £5 each -- to be of good behaviour for the next twelve months, or in default to go to gaol for six months.

MALICIOUS INJURY. -- Acting-Sergeant Magowan charged Alexander Fleming with maliciously setting fire to his house, 19, Terence Street, the previous evening. Mr. Spiller prosecuted. The complainant was examined, and stated that on Wednesday evening he arrested the accused on a charge of having fired his own house. Rachael Sheals deposed that she heard the prisoner swearing that he would burn the house over their heads. She lived in the lower portion of the house, and shortly afterwards she heard a crackling of timber as if it was being burned. She gave the alarm, and, on going upstairs, the floor was found to be on fire. James Miskimmon said he was agent for the property. He was in the street on Wednesday evening, and the last witness called him in. He went upstairs, and found a heap of straw burning opposite the fire on the floor. The floor and the mantelpiece were burned. About £2 would be required to repair the damage. The accused was sent to gaol for two months.



M. GERVAIS, a French authority, says there are men capable of bearing arms in Germany, 5,000,000; in France, 4,500,000; in Austria-Hungary, 1,800,000; in Italy, 2,000,000; in England, 800,000; in Russia, 6,000,000; and in all other European States, 4,000,000. That gives a total of 25,000,000. Of that number 10 millions are trained soldiers.

An interesting return has been issued of the courts-martial, minor punishments, and desertions for the whole of the British army. The smallest proportion of all is the Household Cavalry, and those reach 50 per cent. Different battalions of the same corps show curious fluctuations.

The Court Journal says:-- Among the many curiosities of the late German Emperor's study was a collection of miniature models of all the soldiers in his army, both foot and horse, each one being perfect as regards uniform. The object served by these puppets was that if the Emperor contemplated a change in the uniform of any regiment he would immediately refer the matter to a puppet. A tailor was kept on purpose to keep these figures in order, and to make the needful alterations.

Considerable interest, not to say amusement, was created all the way from Chelsea Barracks to Wimbledon Common by the first march out of the 26th Middlesex Cyclist Volunteers. The section -- that is, what there was of it -- rode very well, but the blue-grey uniforms seemed to suggest to spectators either a gang of escaped convicts or an announcement that Cambridge had won the boat race. It is stated to be almost as difficult, despite the attractions of rifles and uniforms, to obtain cyclist volunteers as it was to obtain special constables.

At the present moment over 40 regiments are supplying themselves almost entirely from the districts identified with their titles, but the largor number of recruits enter for short service, at the expiration of which they go into the Reserve for five years, only to find, in too many cases, that they are unable to obtain employment, many firms and individuals objecting to reserve men on account of their liability to be "called out." Why should such men not be allowed to re-enlist instead of idling away five years in the reserve, at the end of which their connection with the army ceases?

From a return lately issued it appears that 2,236 men were serving in the army last year who had fraudulently or improperly enlisted.

Major-General Brackenbury, Chief of the Intelligence Department, War Office, has consented to give the opening address to the members of the newly-formed Metropolitan Volunteer Sergeants' Tactical Association, on April 13th.



ARMAGH -- PETTY SESSIONS. -- At these Sessions yesterday, before Captain Preston, R.M., and Mr. Wm. Best, J.P., Mr. E. W. Bailey, D.I, applied for an adjournment in the case against the man Joseph Johnston, who is charged with having shot at and wounded a ploughman named Hugh Conway, near Armagh, the particulars of which have been already reported in the Whig. He said the injured man was unable to attend. The Bench adjourned the case for a week.

-- -- --

ANTRIM -- BOARD OF GUARDIANS. -- Mr. G. J. Clarke, D. L., presided at the monthly meeting yesterday. The other Guardians present were Messrs. Thomas Ferguson (Antrim), James Gregg, Carlisle Arnold, R.D. Lawther, James Ross, Thomas Ferguson (Dunsilly), Wm. J. Gibson, James English, and James Allen. The Clerk reported that the only changes in the Guardians were in Ballylinney division, where Mr. N. Boyd takes the place of Mr. Clair, and in Craigarogan division, where Mr. W. P. M'Allister takes the place of Mr. Stevenson.

-- -- --

BALLYMENA -- STRANGE DISAPPEARANCE. -- On Wednesday a young man named William Dempster, son of Mr. John Dempster, baker, Ballymena, started on his daily rounds with his father's breadcart to deliver bread in the locality of Slemish, and, not returning, vigorous searches were instituted for him without finding the slightest trace of his whereabouts. As yet he has not been discovered, and, as a heavy snow prevailed there, it is feared that the young man has perished.

-- -- --

DRAPERSTOWN -- THE KILCRONAGHAN ESTATE. -- Mr. Samuel Patterson, Dungannon, agent for the trustees of the late Mr. Alexander Patterson, J.P., Carnamoney House, Draperstown, attended a few days ago at Magherafelt for the purpose of receiving the rents due by the tenants of the above estate, situate in the neighbourhood of the village of Tobermore, about two miles from Draperstown. Though the tenants on this property, which is situate in one of the finest agricultural districts in South Derry, have for the most part the appearance of being well-to-do, judging from the comfortable-looking farmhouses one generally meets with all over the estate, yet they found it difficult to make up the year's rent within the space of eight days, which was the time from the estate bailiff warned them until they had to meet the agent. The agent, however, thought he was very indulgent in not asking the rent till spring instead of in November, as formerly. About two-thirds of the tenants, however, did meet Mr. Patterson, and paid the rent of 1887, but were allowed, they say, only the scheduled reductions on the half-year's rent from May till November, and that according to their judicial leases, dated 1883, 1884, &c. Tenants who signed the agreements in 1883, but whose judicial leases were not filed with the Land Commissioners until 1884, were allowed, as they allege, only the reductions opposite 1884. The tenants say that nothing less than 6s 8d in the £1 would be sufficient, and they look upon the present reductions as almost useless.

-- -- --

DOWNPATRICK -- QUARTER SESSIONS. -- Mr. Thomas Lefroy, Q C., resumed the business of these Sessions yesterday. In the case of Bridget M'Veagh against Moore & Moffett, auctioneers, for breach of contract, the sum claimed was £1 2s 6d, price of a quantity of tea sold by defendants to plaintiff, and which it was alleged was not of the quality represented. A decree for the sum claimed was granted. The Irish Land Commission sued Daniel and Patrick Quail to recover arrears of tithe rent-charge. It was proved that a payment on foot of the charge had been made by the predecessor in title of Daniel Quail in 1882, but that the defendant Patrick Quail had no interest in the lands, which were held under a lease for 999 years. His Honour gave a decree against Daniel, and dismissed the process against Patrick. The Court adjourned.

-- -- --

LURGAN -- BOARD OF GUARDIANS. -- The weekly meeting of this Board was held yesterday, when Mr. John Johnston, J.P. (vice-chairman), presided, and the other Guardians in attendance were -- Messrs. G. Greer, J.P.; J. L Douie, J.P.; Claude Brownlow, J.P.; G. R. Carrick, J.P.; J. Macoun, D.V.C.; Frederick Langtry; James Johnston, T.C.; J. Macoun (Kilmore), Christopher Stevenson, T. Blakeley, Nelson Ruddell, and W. J. Allen. The Clerk read a letter from Lord Lurgan tendering his resignation of the office of chairman of the Board, which was reluctantly accepted. A letter was read from Mr. J. C. O'Reilly, solicitor, Lurgan, written on behalf of Dr. Magennis, J.P., claiming payment of £6 6s and £1 1s, stated to be due to Dr. Magennis for having acted as locum tenens for Dr. Agnew on two recent occasions. The Board, declining to re-consider previous decision's against paying the amounts claimed, decided that their solicitor (Mr. Hugh Hayes, Lurgan) should be instructed to defend any action instituted against the Board by Dr. Magennis. A letter from the Local Government Board intimated that their Inspector (Mr. Hamilton) had furnished his half-yearly report as to the state of Lurgan Workhouse, and the report was of a very satisfactory character. The Board after disposing of routine business, adjourned.

-- -- --

LURGAN -- RAGGED SCHOOL. -- A meeting of the subscribers and friends of the above was held yesterday in the Schoolroom, Lurgan, for the purpose of taking steps towards the building of a new schoolroom. Mr. James Malcolm, J.P., D.L., presided, and there was an influential attendance. The Rev. T. M. Hamill, M.A., pastor of First Lurgan Presbyterian Church, explained the steps already taken with a view to the erection of a new building. The school was opened in 1862, and in the period since then 1,540 children have been trained in the institution. The school was established on strictly non-sectarian principles, and at the present time the average daily attendance is from 100 to 150. It was estimated that the cost of the new building would be about £600, and Lord Lurgan had most generously offered to give an eligible site. On the motion of Mr. G. Greer, J.P., seconded by Mr. Francis Watson, J.P., a resolution was adopted approving of building a new school, and of the steps already taken with that object in view, and suggesting that a subscription list be opened in aid of the building fund.

-- -- --

MAGHERAFELT -- BOARD OF GUARDIANS. -- The usual weekly meeting of the above Board was held in the Boardroom on Thursday -- Sir Wm. Conyngham presiding. It was resolved that the rate collectors should be responsible for the service of requisition forms under the Franchise Act.

-- -- --

PORTGLENONE. -- FATAL ACCIDENT. -- On Monday evening, a baby, seven months old, of a farmer named Smyth, living in the townland of Lisrodden, near Portglenone, was lying in a cradle, and close to the cradle was a chair, on which there was burning a small brass paraffin hand-lamp. During the momentary absence of the mother it is supposed the lamp exploded, and, setting fire to the coverings of the infant in the cradle, they were instantly in flames. The mother was severely burnt about the hands and arms in extinguishing the flames. Dr. Dysart M'Caw was sent for, and promptly attended, but he pronounced the case hopeless. The child died early on Tuesday morning.


^ top of page

Northern Whig - 31 March 1888


BROWN -- March 27, at Greenville, Kilmacow, Waterford, the wife of J. M. Brown, of a son.

COX -- March 29, at Fulham, London, S.W., the wife of William Cox, of a son.

GREER -- March 21, at Newbridge, the wife of Captain J. H. Greer, Highland Light Infantry, of a son.

INGRAM -- March 29, at 1 Beechpark Terrace, Ballynafeigh, the wife of A. Ingram, of a daughter.

KIRKER -- March 28, at the Royal Naval Hospital, Haslar, the wife of Dr. Gilbert Kirker, R.N., of a son.

MURPHY -- March 29, at 15, Northumberland Road, Dublin, the wife of Charles Murphy, Barrister-at-Law, of a daughter.


DOBBIN--BARNETT -- January 26, at Christ Church, Geelong, Victoria, by the Rev. G. W. Sproule, William Sinclair Dobbin, M.B., F.R.C.S I., elder son of Samuel Dobbin, Ellerslie, Glenageary, Kingstown, to Marie, younger daughter of the late Dr. Barnett, Mount Egerton, Ballarat.

GRAHAM--ANDERSON -- March 24, at St. Mary Abbott's, Kensington, London, by the Hon. and Rev. Carr-Glyn, Vicar, John Graham, Esq., of Tientain, N. China, to Lucy Hyde, eldest daughter of the late Colonel Anderson, formerly of 78th Highlanders.

HENDERSON--OMELVENA -- March 30, at the Armagh Road Presbyterian Church, Portadown, by the Rev. R. Jeffrey, the Rev. John Greenlees, Belfast, and the Rev. James Irwin, Newmills, cousin of the bride, James Henderson, Belfast, to Jane Omelvena, Portadown.

REED--JONES -- March 20, at St. James's Church, Piccadilly, London, by the Rev. H. Kirk, Aubone Stephen Reed, elder son of the late George Barras Reed, of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, to Georgiana Charlotte, fifth daughter of the late Major Lewis George Jones, J.P., of Wondhill, Dromore West, County Sligo.


AIKEN -- March 30, at the residence of his father, 29, Upper Townsend Street, William Aiken, jun., aged thirty-six years. His remains will be removed for interment in the Borough Cemetery, on Monday morning, at ten o'clock.

BOWDEN -- March 28, at 3, High Street, Holywood, Jane Bowden, daughter of the late Hugh Bowden, Craigavad. Interment in Holywood Burying-ground, this (Saturday) morning, 31st last., at half-past nine o'clock.

DAVIS -- March 30, at her residence, 10, Fountainville Avenue, Miss Agnes Davis. Her remains will be removed for interment in Shankhill Burying-ground, on Monday morning, 2nd April, at nine o'clock.

GIBSON -- March 28, at Ballycopeland, Thomas Gibson, aged seventy-three years. The remains of my beloved husband will be removed for interment in the family burying-ground, Millisle, this (Saturday) afternoon, 31st inst., at two o'clock. Friends will please accept this intimation. MARGARET GIBSON.

-- -- -- -- --

CONOLLY -- February 11, at his residence, Cornelia Ladies' College, Melbourne, Australia, Daniel Connolly, B.A., London, late Classical Master at the Presbyterian College, aged fifty years.

DAVIS -- March 28, at Stoneyford, County Kilkenny, Mary Elizabeth (Lillie), third daughter of William and Elizabeth Davis», aged fourteen years.

HODGE -- March 27, at his residence, Ballymurtagh, Ovoca, County Wicklow, John Hodge, aged seventy-two years.

TORBEN DE BILLE -- March 26, at her residence, Ashburton House, Putney Heath, Louisa Elizabeth, daughter of the late Sir Compton Domvile Bart., of Santry Court, County Dublin, and widow of his Excellency Torben de Bille, formerly Danish Minister at the Court of St. James's, in the seventieth year of her age,

WILLIS -- March 27, at her residence, Corrotubber, Cavan, Margaret, widow of the late Henry Willis, aged seventy years.






The Indian troopship Serapis, which was due on March 8th, and arrived to-day at Portsmouth, sustained a serious accident to her machinery at Suez on the outward voyage to Bombay, and it will be necessary to take out her engines and renew most of the important parts. The accident occurred at midnight, when the troops were lying in hammocks on decks adjoining the engine house. They were aroused by a terrific report, like a boiler explosion, and for a moment there was danger of a panic, the first impression being that the ship was blown up. It was discovered that a pin forming part of the piston rod working a high-pressure cylinder had become loosened, and the piston rod did not work properly, the consequence being that the rod forced its way through the massive cover of a cylinder weighing some tons, shivering it to pieces. Fortunately there was no steam in the upper part of the cylinder, or the fragments would have been hurled with great force amongst the sleeping soldiers. As, it was, only one or two men were injured. The remainder of the voyage was performed by the aid of two low-pressure cylinders.





Considerable damage was done in Guernsey on Wednesday night and Thursday morning by unusually high tides, which were driven over the seawalls by a strong south easterly wind. Shops and cottages were flooded, and several pigs were drowned. Tramway traffic was stopped, and the high road between St. Peter's Port and St. Sampson's is torn up and deeply channelled. Hundreds of tons of stones are strewn over the tramway lines.

The ship William Tapscott, of Boston, from Rio Janeiro to Cardiff, with a cargo of granite, stranded off Bride this morning. The crew of nineteen, including Captain Fairbairn, were rescued. The vessel went to pieces this morning.

The captain and crew of the barque John Bannfield, of North Shields, which was wrecked on a voyage from the Tyne to Capanna, have arrived at Shields. During heavy weather the vessel struck a sandbank 16 miles off Mazzera, and became a total wreck. The crew took to the boats, and were saved.


A telegram from Ballyhaunis states that a severe snowstorm prevailed in that district of County Mayo all through last night, causing considerable damage to property. The telegraph wires were wrecked, and communication with the outer world was interrupted.

A telegram from Skibbereen reports a furious gale on the coast last night. The fishing-boats had to run for the harbour, and one drove on the rooks off Baltimore and sank.





The trial of Mr. Gilhooly, M.P., for an assault on County-Inspector Hayes at Skull on the 2nd inst. took place to-day before Colonel Caddell and Mr. R. H. Notter. Mr. Shinkwin, barrister, who defended Mr. Gilhooly, threw up his brief at an early stage of the case, saying it was a disgrace to any lawyer to enter such a court. They held the Court that day as Pontius Pilate held his. Mr. Gilhooly then conducted his own defence, and several sharp passages occurred between him and the Bench. He was sentenced to fourteen days' imprisonment, which the Bench refused to increase to permit an appeal.






The two condemned men, Moriarty and Hayes, convicted on Wednesday, at the Wicklow Assizes, of the murder of James Fitzmaurice, at Lixnaw, near Listowel, County Kerry, were yesterday conveyed to Tralee Gaol, in which they will be hanged on the 28th prox. They were taken by the one o'clock train from Kingsbridge under a strong escort of police. The culprits, who were attired in the grey convicts' dress, were handcuffed. A third-class compartment was reserved for their accommodation. For several minutes prior to the departure of the train they were subjected to the gaze of a large group of inquisitive spectator. Six policemen with rifles guarded the men. Hayes appeared to feel his position, for he endeavoured to hide his face from the crowd, but Moriarty wore a look of callous indifference. Immediately after he entered the compartment he pulled out a new clay pipe and filled it with tobacco mixture. He was provided with a match, and, having lighted, smoked away. The piece of court plaster on his neck showed that there were grounds for the rumour that he had attempted to commit suicide while in gaol. By the same train Norah Fitzmaurice, the eye witness of the cowardly murder of her father, and upon whose testimony the assassins were chiefly convicted, journeyed under police protection.


The Morning Post to day says:-- The conviction of Moriarty and Hayes for the murder of James Fitzmaurice supplies a further proof of the improvement of the administration of justice in Ireland, which, we are happy to say, has been so marked during the past six months. The crime belonged to the class which is known as agrarian, but which advanced Nationalists term political. As regards the change of the venue, which in this case was from tho County of Kerry to the County of Wicklow, it cannot, even by the most rabid Nationalist, be contended that the accused were in any way prejudiced, assuming that they, desired a fair trial. No doubt it prevented them having for their judges men who would be exposed to the grossest form of intimidation, and who would not improbably be deterred from doing their duty by the apprehension of possibly sharing the fate of the murdered man. But otherwise they had nothing to fear. As regards the jurors themselves, it cannot seriously be urged that presumably innocent men are likely to fare worse at tho hands of jurors of a higher degree of intelligence and education than men of humble position, and likely to be influenced by prejudice. We freely admit that justice must not only be real, but apparent, and that there should be no doubt in the public mind that a trial resulting in the conviction of two men on a capital charge has been in every sense of the word fair. But on the recent occasion all the necessary conditions to secure this end were fulfilled, and if there be any who utter a word of complaint it can only be those who desire that agrarian murder in Ireland should go absolutely unpunished.



Draperstown, Friday.

The Skinners' Company's tenants in this neighbourhood just now can hardly be envied. They are now left face to face with a heavy arrears account, and have within the last few days received notices by post from the office in Dungiven to the effect that unless all rents, and arrears of rent, due by them up to November last be paid on or before the 28th day of March, 1888, immediate proceedings will be taken against them. A number of the tenants on the estate signed Dr. Todd's purchase agreements, and these have also got notices. Mr. Young, according to announcement, was to have been in this town on Wednesday last to receive rents and arrears, but, owing to the huge snowdrifts still lying on the road between Dungiven and Draperstown, he wired that morning that he could not come, but would next day if possible. Yesterday (Thursday) being as bad, Mr. Young wired to the under-agent in Draperstown to take all the rents he would get, as he (Mr. Young) could not cross the hill. A number of the tenants did come in and paid -- some a year's rent and others half a year's, but still leaving a balance of two or three years behind. As far as can be ascertained, none of them paid the rent of last year, though they were told that they would be allowed the Commissioners' reductions on the whole year.



COLONEL FRYER, now in command of the 17th Regimental District, will vacate the appointment at the end of the month, when his five years expire. He is a cavalry officer, and when he vacates the appointment there will be only about a couple of cavalry men holding command of regimental districts. Cavalry officers stand a poor chance for some time to come of obtaining those appointments, for just now there are too many infantry colonels unemployed; and, considering that when a district command falls vacant there is generally a colonel who has served in the corps connected available for the appointment, there is little chance for outsiders.

Recent experiments with carrier pigeons have been so successful that it has been decided to establish a permanent postal service of them in the Russian army. Depots are to be established at once at certain specified fortresses and other places, and the whole are to be divided into four divisions, corresponding to the same number of lines of communication. For each line of communication there are to be 250 carrier-pigeons, making a grand total of 1,000 birds.

Police-Inspector Murray, who was employed in Burmah, has been ordered to resign for having ordered the flogging of two Burmese women who had arms concealed. The Chief Commissioner said an officer who would order women to be flogged was unfit to serve the British Government.

At the meeting of the Society of Cyclists the other evening in London there was exhibited, a four-wheeled Humber cycle for three riders, fitted with a Maxim gun at the rear and a rifle inside the right-hand front wheel. This alarming apparition is, of course, intended for military purposes.

A collection will be made in all the military chapels in the Dublin garrison to-morrow on behalf of the Drummond Institution for the Orphan Daughters of Soldiers, with the sanction of General H.S.H. Prince Edward of Saxe-Weimar, G.C.B., and Major-General Davis, C.B. Contributions from those who are unable to attend will be thankfully received by the following chaplains:-- Rev. Franc Sadleir, M.A., S.C.F.I., 78, Northumberland Road; Rev. A. J. Townend, B.A., 2, Abercorn Terrace, North Circular Road; Rev. H. H. Beattie, LL.D., 1, Prince Arthur's Terrace, Leinster Square, Rathmines; Rev. C. J. Hort, 89, Lower Mount Street; and Rev. R. F. M'Leod, 2, Fortfield Terrace, Upper Rathmines.

Captain Battye, who has served in the East Lancashire Regiment as captain and adjutant since 1881, left Newry, where the head-quarters are at present stationed yesterday, on being promoted to the adjutancy of the 3rd Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers. Shortly after two o'clock the troops were paraded in the square, headed by the band, and Captain Battye took his seat in Lieutenant Jones's trap for the purpose of being conveyed to the Edward Street Railway Station. When outside the gates of the barrack the horses were taken out of the trap in which the gallant and popular officer was seated, and amidst the cheers of the troops was pulled through, the streets by the soldiers. On arrival at the station the enthusiasm of the troops increased, and when Captain Battye entered the carriage of the train the men crowded round the door to bid him farewell. They then sang "For he's a jolly good fellow," after which the hand struck up the same strain and afterwards "Auld Lang Syne." All the officers who were present on the platform then shook hands with their comrade who was departing from them, and as the train steamed but of the station the cheers of the troops were deafening, and Captain Battye, who seemed much affected, bowed his acknowledgments. Captain Battye served with distinction in the Afghan war.


^ top of page