The Witness - Friday, 6 February, 1914


ANNOUNCEMENTS under this heading are charged for as follows -- Thirty-five words under, 2/6; and 6d for every additional seven words. All announcements must be prepaid and authenticated.


KANE -- Jan. 31, at Lower Darkley House, to Rev. George and Mrs. Kane -- a daughter.


M'COACH -- Feb. 4, at 30, Elmwood Terrace, Londonderry, Martha, widow of the late William M'Coach, and mother of the Rev. William M'Coach, Belfast. Funeral private.

AGNEW -- Jan. 31, at Portglenone, Elizabeth, wife of John Agnew.

CARTER -- Jan. 30, at English Street, Armagh, [Isabella], widow of the late William Carter.

CHAMBERS -- Feb. 2, at the Imperial Hotel, Banbridge, Lucy, wife of James Chambers.

CHERRY -- Jan. 30, at 42, Market Street, Lurgan, [Andrew], husband of Winifred Mary Cherry.

CRAIG -- Jan. 31, at 49, Thorndale Avenue, Belfast, William Craig, Butter Merchant.

DAWSON -- Jan. 29, at Mossvale, Anahilt, James, the second son of the late James Dawson, aged 24 years.

DAWSON -- Feb. 2, at 42, Teutonic Street. Elizabeth Dawson, eldest daughter of the late Alexander Dawson, aged 19 years.

GALE -- Feb. 1, at 11, Florence Place, Allen E. Gale, Constable R.I.C.

GILMORE -- Feb. 3, at 157, University Street, Elizabeth Gilmore, widow of the late Robert Gilmore.

HANNA -- Jan. 30, at Farringdon, Antrim Road, Henry Hanna, in his 75th year.

HAWTHORNE -- Feb. 2, at 4, Walmer Terrace, Holywood, George William Hawthorne, late Principal Muckamore No. 1 National School.

HAYES -- Feb. 1, at 55, Duncairn Gardens, William James, husband of Agnes Hayes.

KANE -- Jan. 29, at Ballygrot, Helen's Bay, [James] Kane, aged 85 years.

KILLEN -- Feb. 2, at 8, Dufferin Villas, Ballyholme, Bangor, Co. Down, Martha, daughter [of the] late Rev. W. D. Killen, D.D., LL.D., President Assembly's College, Belfast.

MACONKEY -- Jan. 29, at 45, Ponsonby Avenue, Belfast, Eliza Anne, widow of the late Thomas Maconkey.

MARTIN -- Jan. 31, at Rockburn, Newtownards, Margaret, relict of the late John Martin, [Bally?anmore], Kirkcubbin.

MATEER -- Feb. 4, R. E. Mateer, relict of the late (?)hn Mateer, Loughaghry House, Hillsborough.

MAYNE -- Feb. 4, at Holmlea, Antrim Road, [Thomas] Mayne.

MERCER -- Feb. 3, at Clonmartin, Portadown, Margaret Ann, relict of the late Robert Mercer.

M'ILROY -- Feb. 3, 1914, at The Brooms, Stone, Staffordshire, Augusta Gordon, wife of Clarke M'Ilroy, and daughter of the late Rev. Andrew Armstrong, M.A., Monreagh, Londonderry.

M'KINLEY -- Feb. 1, at Milford, Armagh, Margaret [Anne], wife of Thomas M'Kinley.

M'NEILLY -- Feb. 1, at Post Office, 107, Peter's Hill, Belfast, Margaret M'Neilly.

MORTON -- Feb. 4, at 70, Castlereagh Street, Elizabeth, widow of Captain Robert Morton.

MULLIN -- Feb. 3, at Lurgacullion House, Ballygawley, Elizabeth, widow of the late Robert Mullin.

NEESON -- Jan. 30, at his residence, Hessieville, Rosetta Park, Belfast, James C. Neeson (formerly Clerk of Belfast Union).

NEILL -- Feb 1, at Kilbride, Thomas Neill, late of Hogarth Street, Belfast.

PURDY -- Jan. 29, 1914, at Rosemount House, Andersonstown, Jane, widow of Joseph Kirkpatrick Purdy, aged 86.

RAUBB -- Jan. 30, at 51, Fairview Street, Belfast, Thomas J. Raubb, aged 83 years.

SHORTT -- Feb. 2, at Aughnaleck, Anahilt, Hillsborough, James, the husband of Rebecca Shortt.

SMALL -- Feb, 1, (suddenly) at her residence, Ingledene, Bangor, Katherine E. K. Small, widow of the late Samuel S. Small, of Keady, Co. Armagh.

STUART -- Jan. 29, at his residence, 12, Dunluce Terrace, Lisburn Road, Belfast, John Stuart, Tea Merchant, 17, Queen's Square.

TATE -- Feb. 2, at his residence, Southleigh, Knockbreda Park, Belfast, George Tate.

TEGART -- Jan. 29, at 11, Jubilee Avenue, Mary Jane, widow of the late Robert Tegart.

TOPPING -- Feb. 3, Joseph Topping, 53, Castle Street, Lisburn.

WALLACE -- At The Bridge House, Kilrea, Henry John Wallace, J.P., formerly of Movenis, Garvagh.

WHITESIDE -- Jan. 28, at High Street, Antrim, Mary Whiteside.

YEATES -- Feb. 3, at 1, Idrone Terrace, Blackrock, the Rev. George Yeates, M.A., in his 84th year.

In Memoriam

QUIGLEY -- In loving memory of Annie, beloved wife of Thomas Quigley, J.P., who was called home, January 29th, 1913, and her body laid to rest in Omagh Cemetery, on January 31st, 'till the Lord shall come again. Ever remembered by her loving Husband and Family.




During the past week over 1,200 tons of potatoes hare been shipped from Kilkeel by steamers to various porta in England. The potato crop in the Mourne district this year was one of the best that has been gathered for the past ten or twelve years.

A woman named Jane Atkinson, who had reached the remarkable age of 106 years died on Friday at her residence in the townland of Teaguy, near Portadown. Deceased, who resided with her son, had only been ill for a week, and was in possession of all her faculties up to the last. Her husband died about fifteen years ago.

Particulars reached Derry on Sunday of a sad fatality at Dreenan, near Stranorlar, on Friday night. Mary M'Goan, an old woman of seventy, was returning late with her daughter from the wake of a relative when she lost her way and fell into a drain, where she perished, her body being recovered the following morning.

At the meeting of the Enniskillen Urban Council on Monday the following were appointed to represent the Council on the Fermanagh County Joint Technical Instruction Committee for the ensuing three years -- Messrs. G. Whaley, J. Dundas, R. H. Ritchie, J. P. Gillin, J. Kelly, J.P.; J. M'Govern, J.P.; James Gilgunn, and P. Flanagan.

Another Crimea veteran's funeral, the second during the present week in the Tandragee district, took place on the 29th ult., when the remains of the late Mr. James M'Birney, who died at his residence, Clare, Tandragee, on the 27th ult, were removed for interment in, the family burying-ground in Clare Presbyterian Churchyard. Rev. R. J. Whan officiated at the graveside.

Mrs. Eleanor Richardson, of Farmhill, County Antrim, who died on the 16th October last, left 3,570. The testatrix left 50 to Alfred Edward Brett, and she left confirmed certain settlements in favour of her sons Edward and William, and left the residue of her estate to her son Edward. She also left to her son Edward from settled funds 5,000 ordinary stock of the Great Northern Railway Company of Ireland.

On Friday night last in the Town Hall, Bessbrook, the championship cup and medals won by the Bessbrook Flute Band in the championship competitions in the Ulster Hall, Belfast, a few weeks ago were presented by Mrs. James N. Richardson to the conductor, Mr. Will Locke, and the members of the band. Mr. James N. Richardson presided. After the presentation a most enjoyable programme was gone through.

Miss Elizabeth Martha Rankin, of Tanaghmore Lodge, Lurgan, who died on the 26th October last, left personal estate in the United Kingdom valued at 3,922 15s 11d, of which 1,977 15s is in England. The testatrix left 300 each to Mary Ann Dobbin and William Francis Rankin, 1,000 to Joseph Richard Rankin, 800 to Mary Archer Fforde, 600 to Elizabeth Roberts, of Wrexham, and the residue of her estate to Joseph Richard Rankin.

"Fifty Years in the Church of Rome" was the title of a lecture delivered in the lecture hall of the Second Armagh Presbyterian Church by the Rev. George Laverty, B.A., Tyrone's Ditches, on 29th January. Rev. W. J. Fawcett presided, and there was a large and representative audience. The lecture was of a most interesting character, and was listened to with the closest attention. At the close a vote of thanks was passed to the lecturer, on the motion of Rev. David Graham, seconded by Mr. Paton Farley.

Mr. Coleman, manager of the Belfast Bank, Newry, attended before Warrenpoint Council and stated that his directors had decided to establish a permanent branch in Warrenpoint, and until suitable bank premises were secured in the town he asked the Council to give the use of one of the offices is the Town Hall for each day of the week at a rent at the rate of 52 per annum. The Council unanimously decided to comply with Mr. Coleman's request.

At a meeting of Council of the Londonderry Chamber of Commerce, held on Monday afternoon, it was decided to send three delegates, selected from the following, to represent the Chamber at the annual meeting of the Association of Chambers of Commerce of the United Kingdom, to be held in London next month -- Sir John M'Farland, Bart.; Messrs. Charles O'Neill, D.L.; David S. Irvine, Frank Gilliland, M.A.; R. H. Todd, LL.D.; and John R. Hastings, J.P.

Loading wrack as manure for his potatoes -- said in some districts to be the cause of black scab -- a farmer named M'Clorey, on the shore between Warrenpoint and Rostrevor, slipped off a large stone and broke his leg.


Lord Charles Beresford is to be presented with the honorary freedom of Weymouth on Saturday, February 28.

Mr. H. M. Hyndman, the Socialist leader, who is a few weeks will celebrate his 72nd birthday, is engaged to be married to Miss Rosalind Travers, daughter of Major J. A. Travers, of Arundel.

Mr. Matthew Linehan, who has been for some years chief reporter on the "Irish Times," has been appointed Clerk of the Court to Mr. Justice Barton. Mr. Linehan is a brother of County Court Judge Linehan.

The King has decided to grant a minimum wage of 16s to the rural labourers on the Royal estates, including boys. The average in Norfolk, in which the Sandringham estate is situated, is 12s 7d, or with extras, such as harvest money, 15s 4d. It is expected that the extras will be continued.

There were 632,242 paupers, indoor and outdoor, at the end of 1913 in England and Wales, a decrease of 31,920 compared with the end of 1912. Since the pauper disqualification for old-age pensions was removed the number of indoor paupers has fallen by 27,165 and the outdoor paupers by 142,781.

Acting under the imperative orders of his medical adviser, Rev. Silvester Horne has resigned his superintendency of Whitfields Tabernacle, London, after ten years' successful work. The superintendency of Whitfields will now be undertaken by the Rev. W. Chaster Piggott, who has been co-worker with Rev. Silvester Horne.

Speaking at Stafford, Colonel B. Beevor, Assistant Deputy Director Territorial Services, said that during the ensuing summer the military authorities would place aeroplanes at the disposal of the British Red Cross Society for testing the use of aeroplane for the removal of wounded from the firing line to hospital tents.

The Attorney-General, with the approval of his Majesty, has appointed Mr. John Horace Round, D.L., LL.D., to be Hon. Historical Adviser to the Crown in Peerage cases. Dr. Round has for many years gratuitously placed his services at the disposal of those who advise the Crown in connection with cases of this character.

The Postmaster-General has informed the National Joint Committee representing postal workers (says the "Labour Press") that he does not see his way dear to accept the recommendation in the Holt Committee's Report, which suggests that Sunday duty should be inserted in the working hours of each grade and paid for at time and a half rate.

The Duchess of Marlborough has received her licence from the London County Council for the Mary Curzon Hostel. She told the annual general meeting of the National Association for Women's Lodging-Houses, which was held in London, that when she joined the association she had no idea that she would become the proprietor of a common lodging-house.

A terrible shipwreck occurred on the 31st ult. near Falmouth. The German four-masted barque Hera, bound from Pisagua to Falmouth for orders, west ashore at Partscatho in a gale. The Falmouth lifeboat was launched, but before she could get to the barque nineteen men, including the captain and first and second officers, were drowned. The lifeboat saved five men who were clinging to one of the masts.

The death occurred on Sunday at his residence, Cadogan Gardens, Chelsea, after a few days' illness, of his Honour Judge Sir Thos. William Snagge, K.C.M.G., Judge of County Courts of Oxfordshire, and Recorder of Woodstock. He was born in 1837, tho only son of Thomas Samuel Snaggs and Eleanor Marianne, daughter of the Rev. John Toler, rector of Kentstown, County Meath, and Mourne Abby, County Cork. He was educated at Trinity College, Dublin.

Dental surgery seems to be a profession which is not overstocked. Only four applications were received for an appointment as school dentist by the Flintshire Education Committee, and none of them was suitable. The parents are to be charged nominal fees, and a salary of 250 in offered, with travelling expenses and the provision of apparatus. There is said to be a greet demand for women dentists, and at present there are said to be only two females for every 1,000 males engaged in the profession. Possibly the Flintshire offer of salary is regarded as too low.

Much alarm was created on Saturday in the Monmouthshire mining town Blaenavon by the explosion of 200lbs. of powder stored in a magazine on the mountain, some few miles from the town. The powder was used in connection with the boring of a tunnel through the mountain tor Abertillery Waterworks. The fact that the explosion occurred in the dark is responsible for the absence of fatalities. A number of workmen were housed in huts two miles away. The windows of several huts were shattered. The cause is believed to be duo to fire spreading from an unoccupied shelter.


During a dense fog the liner Nantucket, of Baltimore, collided off Hogg Island with the liner Monroe, of the Old Dominion Company. The latter was practically cut in two, and sank within a few minutes, forty-nine lives being lost. The Nantucket, which was badly damaged, at once lowered boats, and succeeded in rescuing eighty-six passengers and members of the crew. Convoyed by the Hamilton, which had answered the "S.O.S." signals, the Nantucket proceded [--?--] Norfolk, Virginia.



Ex-Clerk of Belfast Union

The death occurred on Friday at his residence, Knockbreda, of Mr. James C. Neeson, who for many years held the responsible position of clerk of the Belfast Union. The deceased gentleman, who was seventy-five years of age, had been in failing health for some time past, and the end was not unexpected. He had been in the service of the Board of Guardians for close on forty years, and retired from active duties in the early part of 1904, when the then Guardians placed on record their high appreciation of his many sterling qualities, their entire satisfaction with the admirable manner in which he had for such a lengthened period discharged his onerous duties. Mr. Nesson was a very painstaking and courteous official, and was held in the highest respect by all with whom he came in contact. He was well known throughout the city, and although by reason of his position he was unable to take part in politics he was a staunch Unionist. He was associated with the Masonic Order, and held important offices in connection with that body. The deceased, who was unmarried, was a native of Randalstown, where his father, a doctor, enjoyed an extensive practice.

The remains were removed on Monday from Heesieville, Rosetta Park, and interred in the burial ground at Randalstown. There was a large attendance of members and officers of the Board of Guardians, of other city officials, and of the general public to pay their last tribute of respect to the deceased, who for almost forty years was actively associated with the oficial life of the city. The remains and bearers were conveyed in a motor heres, while the mourners ere accommodated in six motor cars, the whole arrangements being admirably carried out by Messrs. Melville & Co., Ltd., Townsend Street.



On Sunday, 1st February, special services conducted in Maghera Presbyterian Church by the Moderator of the General Assembly, the Right Rev. Dr. Macaulay, of Portadown. Special collectors were invited to these services, as an effort was being made to clear off a debt incurred by the congregation for the purchase and enclosing a burial-ground, and the building of stables for the accommodation of those coming from a distance to the services. After the sermon the Moderator made suitable reference to the occasion, and Rev. W. B. M'Murray, M.A., minister of the congregation, thanked the collectors -- members of all the Protestant denominations in the neighbourhood -- for their attendance and practical sympathy. The collectors at the morning service were -- Colonel Waters, J.P., Whitefort; Messrs. W. J. Smyth, J.P., Moyagoney; W. H. Johnston, Fallagtown; Wm. M'Kee, Maghera; Samuel Lytle, Drumlane; William Lilly, Upperlands; Wm. Campbell, Ampertaine; J. C. M'Kinney, Maghera; Hugh Kane, Maghera; John B. Martin, Maghera; Wm. Kyle, Culnady; and W. G. Shiels, Knocknakielt. At the evening service there acted as collectors -- Messrs. Robert M'Dowell, Ballinahone; Alex. Bradley, Maghera; Wm. Steele, Maghera; J. K. Craig, Luney; W. J. Hanna, Milltown; John Smyth, Culnady; and George M'Cool, Dunglady.

The following, who were unable to attend, sent subscriptions -- Sir Hiram Wilkinson, Tobermore; Colonel Clark, Maghera; Messrs. John Boden, J.P., Magherafelt; J. F. M'Geagh, J.P., Draperstown; Alex. W. Clark, J.P., Upperlands; H. Clark, J.P., Upperlands; James Brown, solicitor, Magherafelt; James Johnston, solicitor, Magherafelt; James Dupps, Dunglady; Joseph M'Kinney, Ballinahone; Joseph Kinney, Tivaconway; Henry Leacock, Cloney; James Anderson, Dunglady; Robt. Johnston, Swateragh; Wm. Patterson, Culnady; Wm. J. Houston, Drumglassa; Wm. Hutchinson, Black Hill; Joseph Houston, Ballymacilcurr; Robert Houston, Culnady; Robert M'Ilfatrick, Tamlaght O'Crilly; Hugh Lyle, Cloney; Samuel Paul, Ballinahone; D. Charters, Bellaghy; W. J. Hilton, Boveedy; Hugh Thompson, Castledawson; Samuel Campbell, Tobermore; Alex. Morrison, Magherafelt; R. G. Henderson, Tobermore; and Dr. Thompson, Bellaghy.

Subscriptions are still being received by the committee for this purpose. The committee wish to thank both the collectors and those who sent subscriptions. The result of the special services will be a substantial first reduction in the debt, as not only those from a distance but the members of the congregation, though most of them had already subscribed, contributed liberally to the collections.



Sincere regret will be felt at the death of Mr. William Craig, which occurred at his residence, 49, Thorndale Avenue, on Saturday last. Mr. Craig, who was a native of Dunadry, came to Belfast many years ago, and entered the employment of Messrs. Clotworthy & Co., flour importers, Tomb Street. His business ability brought him quickly to the front, and in the position of manager he controlled an immense trade, and became well known in commercial circles throughout the North of Ireland. The same success attended his efforts when he opened premises for himself as a butter merchant in North Street. He was a man of a genial disposition, and made many friends. He was a Presbyterian, was a leading member of Ekenhead Church, and was connected with the C.P.A. almost from its inception. The interment took place on Monday at the City Cemetery, the funeral arrangements being satisfactorily carried oat by Messrs. Melville & Co., Limited.



The funeral of the late Mr. John Stuart, the well-known tea merchant, of Queen's Square, took place on Saturday from his late residence, Dunluce Terrace, Lisburn Road. The high esteem entertained for the deceased was demonstrated by the large attendance, which included representatives of the Commercial Travellers' Association, of which he was a past president, and Fisherwick Presbyterian Church, with which be had been associated as an elder and Sabbath-school teacher. The interment was at Dundonald Cemetery, and the service was conducted by the Rev. Chas. Davey. The funeral arrangements were entrusted to Messrs. Melville & Co., Ltd., Townsend Street, and were admirably carried out.



We regret to announce the death of Mr. Henry Hanna at his residence, Farringdon, Antrim Road, at the age of seventy-four years. The deceased gentleman, who was a well-known and highly respected citizen, carried on business as a leather merchant for upwards of half a century, first in Old North Street, and recently in Gresham Street. In politics he was a Conservative, and in religion a Presbyterian, being connected with Fortwilliam Church. He was a member of the Masonic Order, and was a generous contributor to all its charities. The late Mr. Hanna leaves six sons and one daughter to mourn his loss, and deep sympathy will be felt for them in their sad bereavement. The sons are Mr. Samuel Hanna, a district inspector of the Royal Irish Constabulary, at present stationed in Portadown; Mr. David Hanna, a solicitor, whose office is in Royal Avenue; Dr. Harry Hanna, a leading eye, ear, and throat specialist; Mr. Robert Hanna, who is in the merchant service; and Messrs. James and John Hanna, who were assisting their father in the business. Mr. Henry Hanna, K.C.; Mv. John Hanna, solicitor; and Dr. William Hanna, port sanitary officer of Liverpool, were nephews of the deceased, being sons of the late Mr. John Hanna, High Street, while another brother was Mr. David Hanna, whose death took place so suddenly at his premises in Royal Avenue last year.

The funeral took place on Monday forenoon. The remains were interred in Carnmoney Cemetery. The Rev. James Maconaghie (Fortwilliam Presbyterian Church), Rev. Mr. M'Master (Fortwilliam), and Rev. Robert Barron (Whitehouse) were the officiating clergymen. The chief mourners were -- Mr. Samuel Hanna, Mr. David Hanna, Dr. H. Hanna, Mr. James Hanna, and Mr. John Hanna (sons); Mr. Henry Hanna, K.C.; Mr. John Hanna, Dr. William Hanna, and Mr. James Harrison (nephews); Dr. William Carlisle and Mr. Walker (brothers-in-law), and Captain Craig (son-in-law). Messrs. Melville & Co., Ltd., Townsend Street, were entrusted with the funeral arrangements, which were satisfactorily carried out.



It is with feelings of the most sincere regret we have to announce the death of Mr. George Tate, rent agent, Garfield Street, which took place on Monday at his residence, Southleigh, Knockbreda Park. Mr. Tate was attending to business as usual last week, but on Friday he contracted a cold which developed into pneumonia, and despite the most careful medical attention he passed away this morning. Mr. Tate was an intimate friend and neighbour for many years. He was one of those quiet, inoffensive, and upright men, who are not only esteemed, but loved; one of those men who fulfil their daily task of duty conscientiously and honestly, and leave behind them none but the kindliest memories. Mr. Tate was a native of Belfast, and after serving his apprenticeship to the provision trade spent some years in America. On his return to this country he entered upon the business of rent and property agent, in which, he was engaged to the last, and in which he combined the most scrupulous care and attention to the interests of his clients with the greatest consideration for the tenants. Modest and retiring from nature and disposition, he did not take an active part in public affairs, but for some years he was a member of the Water Board, and took the greatest interest in the affairs of the Trust. He was a staunch Unionist in politics. He was a prominent member of the Masonic body, and was held in the highest esteem by all his brethren. He was a devoted member of the Presbyterian Church, and took an interest in its affairs. He was kindly, genial, and hospitable, and his presence will be greatly missed in the many circles in which he was welcomed and beloved. He was twice married, survived by his second wife, and by a son, who has entered on a promising career at set; and by two daughters, one of whom is married. To his widow and family we tender our expressions of the most sincere condolence and sympathy on the death of the best of husbands and the kindest of fathers.

The remains of the late Mr. Tate were interred on Wednesday in the City Cemetery. The large attendance testified to the high esteem in which the deceased was held, and although the funeral was announced to be private representatives were present from the Water Board, of which the late Mr. Tate had been a member from 1881 to 1884; the Municipal Unionist Association, the Masonic Order, the Belfast Auctioneers' and Estate Agents' Association, and Newtownbreda Presbyterian Church, with which he was connected. The coffin was covered with beautiful floral tributes. The chief mourners were -- Messrs. George R. Armstrong (son-in-law), R. R. Kennedy, Percy J. M'Donald (nephews), and James M'Donald and James Morrison (brother-in-law). An impressive service was conducted in the house by the Rev. Dr. Workman (Newtownbreda Presbyterian Church) and Rev. J. Maconaghie (Fortwilliam). The arrangements were entrusted to Messrs. Melville & Company, Ltd., Townsend Street, and were admirably carried out. We may just add that the business which Mr. Tate had established will be carried on in the interests of the family.



On Tuesday, January 27th, Mr. Edward Rotheram, his wife, and a lady friend were sitting round the fire, with the window and shutters shut immediately behind them, when a revolver was fired through the window, and lodged in the shutter, which was 1½in. thick. Immediately after the shot was fired footsteps were heard retreating. It was fortunate for the occupants of the room that the shutter stopped the bullet, as it was just the level to hit the head of anyone inside. Great indignation is felt in the neighbourhood, where Mr. Rotheram is most popular.




The trial concluded yesterday at Liverpool of George Ball, otherwise George Sumner, and Samuel Angeles Eltoft, charged with murdering their employer's sister, Miss Christina Catherine Bradfield, at Liverpool, on December 10th last. The body was tied up in a sack and thrown into the canal, where it was discovered by accident.

During the course of the trial, which lasted three days, both the accused went into the witness box, and Ball told a remarkable story of how he had seen a third man commit the crime, and that he and Eltoft disposed of the body for fear that they would he accused of the crime. Eltoft, however denied Ball's statements, and said he did know what was in the sack when he helped to take it to the canal.

Mr Justice Atkin, in summing up, remarked that there was one man in court who knew how Miss Bradfield was killed. If the jury accepted Ball's statement, or it left a reasonable doubt upon their minds, then they must acquit both prisoners, because his story was that a third man committed the crime. The first question for the jury was as to whether or not there was reasonable doubt about the question as to whether Miss Bradfield was killed by a third man in the presence of Ball. It must be remembered in Ball's favour that he made his statement about the third man when he was arrested. If they dismissed the third-man story they were forced to the conclusion that either Ball or Eltoft, or both of them, committed the murder.

In this connection his Lordship drew attention to the difference between the way in which the two men behaved after the discovery of the body, Ball going into hiding, and Eltoft remaining at home. They could not find Eltoft guilty of murder unless they were satisfied that he took part in the crime of killing, or kept watch knowing that Ball was killing her, or except they had prearranged it. The jury would no doubt hesitate to come to the conclusion that Eltoft had been guilty of murder unless they were satisfied as to how he was implicated. There was also the question of whether he was an accessory, whether he know that the murder had bean committed, and assisted Ball after the murder. In this connection the jury would come to consider how far it would have been possible for one man to do the packing up of the body in the time available. Ball, it should be remembered, was a packer by trade.


The jury found that Ball was guilty of murder, and Eltoft an accessory after the fact.

The Judge sentenced Ball to death, and Eltoft to four years penal servitude.


^ top of page

The Witness - Friday, 13 February, 1914


PATTON--M'ILHINNEY -- Feb. 4, 1914, at Scott's Church, Ramelton, by Rev. Alfred Torrens, B.A., Robert, third son of John Patton, Ballyhenny, Ramelton, to Jeannie, youngest daughter of the late Robert M'Ilhenny, Rossbracken, Manorcuningham.

SHEPHERD--THOMPSON -- Jan. 26, at Duneane Presbyterian Church, by the Rev. R. C. Elliott, B.A., assisted by the Rev. W. Shepherd, B.A., (father of the bridegroom); the Rev. W. J. Jamison, B.A. and the Rev. T. Smythe, B.A.; the Rev. W. F. Shepherd, B.A., B.D., son of the Rev. Wm. Shepherd, B.A., Ballyroney, to Tillie, eldest daughter of the late William Thompson, Carlane, and grand-daughter of the late Rev. W. Denham, B.A., Duneane. At home -- The Manse, Portglenone, March 11 and 12.


DARRAGH -- Feb. 7, 1914, at his residence, Ballyloughan, Ballymena, James, fifth son of the late William and Margaret Darragh. Buried Kirkinriola Graveyard.

SMILEY -- Feb. 11, 1914, at Ballymacashen, Killinchy, Elizabeth, relict of the late William Smiley, Lisbarnet, Comber. Funeral at twelve o'clock to-day (Friday) to Moneyrea Meeting-house Green.

ALDERDICE -- Feb. 10, at Greenhaven, Malone Park, Katherine Edith (Tottie), daughter of W. W. Alderdice.

BELL -- Feb. 5, at Ballyshanaghill, Crumlin, Robert Bell.

BOYD -- Feb. 10, at Church Street, Antrim, James Boyd, son of the late Robert Boyd, of Shaneoguestown, aged 78 years.

BRENNAN -- Feb. 10, at Bentra, Ballycarry, Mary, widow of the late James Brennan.

BURNS -- Feb. 9, at Burnside, Ballycarry, Maud Burns.

CALLEN -- Feb. 11, at 8, Ainsworth Street, Belfast, William Callen, aged 82 years.

CAMLIN -- Feb. 10, at 14, Albert Place, Ballymena, James Camlin.

CARRUTHERS -- Feb. 8, at her son-in-law's residence, 78, University Avenue, Mary Jane, relict of the late Thomas L. Carruthers, York Road (Scotch and Canadian papers please copy).

CONNOR -- Feb. 10, at 10, College Gardens, Belfast, Charles C. Connor, M.A., F.C.S., J.P., ex-Mayor of Belfast 1889-1891, former M.P., for North Antrim.

CROWE -- Feb. 9, at Ballyboley, Ballynure, Thomas H. Crowe.

DAWSON -- Feb. 9, at a Private Nursing Home, [Maggie], wife of C. St. C. Dawson.

EKIN -- Feb. 5, at Richmond, Clifton Road, Bangor, Co. Down, Samuel Woods Killen, only son of the late Rev. Edward Ekin, M.A., Coagh.

ENNIS -- Feb. 9, at Ballyfrench, Kircubbin, Jane Ellen, wife of James Ennis.

GAULT -- Feb. 8, at his residence, Monkstown, Whiteabbey, William, the dearly-beloved husband of Sarah Gault. Deeply regretted by his sorrowing wife and family.

GRAHAM -- Feb. 9, at 3, Brooklyn Villas, Groomsport Road, Bangor, George, son of William Graham, Solicitor, aged 30 years.

GUARD -- At 7, St. Jude's Avenue, Rev. Wesley Guard.

HAYES -- Feb. 9, at 55, Duncairn Gardens, Agnes, wife of the late William James Hayes, and daughter of the late James Harrison.

JAMISON -- Feb. 6, at 50, Stratheden Street, James, husband of Maggie Jamison.

JOHNSTONE -- Feb. 5, at The Cottage, Kilroot, Ezekiel, eldest son of the late James Johnstone, Knockagh House.

MAGOWAN -- Feb. 6, at 194-196, York Street, Belfast, Annie, relict of the late W. J. Magowan.

M'GIFFORD -- Feb. 9, at 4, Park Avenue, (Holywood), Sarah, widow of the late Richard M'Gifforrd.

M'MILLAN -- Feb. 11, at The Square, Comber, Mary Ann M'Millan, relict of the late Hamilton M'Millan, Ballyhenry.

RICHARDSON -- At Private Nursing Home, Belfast, Minnie, the wife of Murray Richardson, Dungannon.

SEMPLE -- Feb. 7, at 2, Mentmore, Lisburn Road, James Douglas, only son of John Semple, aged 17 years.

SHEALS -- Feb. 9, at 130, Cliftonpark Avenue, Arabella Sheals, widow of the late James Sheals.

SMYTHE--EDWARDS -- Feb. 9, 1914, at his late residence, Boveva House, Dungiven, County Derry (and of Mamreviile, Knock, Belfast), after a short illness, Samuel Edward Smythe-Edwards, in his 71st year.

THOMPSON -- Feb. 5, at Auburn Place, Holywood, Elizabeth Mary, widow of the late James H. Thompson.

TODD -- Feb. 7, at Mosside, Cogry, James, husband of Agnes Todd.

WALLACE -- Feb. 9, at 29, Point Street, Larne, Samuel M. Wallace, Clerk of Larne Union.




We regret to announce the death of Mr. C. C. Connor, which occurred on Tuesday at his residence, College Gardens. The deceased gentleman had been in delicate health for a considerable time past, but it was not generally expected that the end would come so soon. The late Mr. Connor, who was a native of Belfast, was connected with the linen industry, and was associated with a number of important concerns, including the Irish Flax Spinning Company, of which he was chairman. In his early life he evinced a keen interest in the public affairs of Belfast, and for three years -- prior to the granting of the charter making Belfast a city -- he occupied the responsible position of Mayor, and the duties of this office he discharged with credit to himself and with signal advantage to the town. For some years he was the Conservative member of Parliament for North Antrim, and by all classes of the community he was held in the highest esteem. His valuable services to Belfast when associated with the Corporation will never be forgotten, and his colleagues showed their keen appreciation of his worth by having his portrait painted, and this picture now adorns the walls of the Council Chamber of the City Hall. Of recent years the deceased, who was about seventy-two years of age, did mot take much active part in public affairs, but his death is a distinct loss to the city. The late Mr. Connor was married twice, but had no family. He is survived by his second wife, to whom, with his sister, Miss Connor, the utmost sympathy will be extended in their sad bereavement.



Regret will be expressed, at the announcement of the death on Monday, 9th inst., of Mr. Samuel E. Smythe-Edwards, the sad event taking place at his residence, Boveva House, County Londonderry, after an illness of only a week's duration. Deceased, whose Belfast residence was Mamreville, Knock, contracted a chill on the 31st ult., and pneumonia supervening the best medical skill failed to avert the end. Deceased, who was in his seventy-first year, was a brother of the late Mr. James Smythe Douglas, J.P., another respected resident of Boveva. The late Mr. Smythe-Edwards was a strenuous worker in the cause of Unionism. He was a member of the Ulster Unionist Council; on the Executive of the North Derry Unionist Association, president of the Boveva branch of that association, and assisted in the formation of the Ardnariff and Boveva Unionist Clubs. He was a member of the Executive Committee of the Ulster Provisional Government and the Standing Committee of the Ulster Unionist Council. He was also a warm supporter of the Orange Institution, and took a deep and practical interest in the Ulster Volunteer movement. On many occasions he advocated the cause of the Irish Unionists on English and Scottish platforms in stirring election campaigns, and was a forceful speaker. A devoted member of the Presbyterian Church, Mr. Smythe-Edwards was a member of several important committees of the General Assembly, at which he was a most regular attender. He also interested himself in Presbyterian affairs in the district of Dungiven, and he was one of the original trustees of the Commutation Fund. Deceased is survived by a widow, two sons, and a daughter with whom much sympathy is felt in their bereavement. One of the sons is Mr. J. E. Smyth-Edwards, solicitor, of this city. The other, Mr. F. E. Smythe-Edwards, has taken an active part in Unionist work in this country and in England and Scotland.


Amid manifestations of the deepest regret the remains of the late Mr. Samuel Edward Smythe-Edwards were on Wednesday forenoon removed from Boveva House to their last resting-place in Boveva Parish Church Burying-ground. At the service in the house prior to removal Dr. MacDermott, Belfast, read a portion of Scripture, while Rev. T. E. Culbert, B.A., gave a touching address. Rev. J. Gallaugher engaged in prayer. The chief mourners were Messrs John S. Smythe-Edwards and Frederick Smythe-Edwards (sons), Mr. James S. Douglas, C.P.S., Dungiven (nephew), and Dr. A. G. Martin, J.P. The hearse preceded the funeral cortege, and the coffin was borne by relays of the Ulster Volunteer Force in the district. The session and committee of Boveva Presbyterian Church followed, and the cortege also comprised many friends from the district and from Limavady and Dungiven. At the graveside Revs. T. E. Culbert and J. Gallaugher officiated.




On Saturday Mr. J. Milne Barbour, D.L., laid the foundation-stone of a new Orange Hall in Derriaghy.

On Friday Mr. T. B. Keefe, who has been postmast at Newry for about eight years, retired after full service. Mr. Keefe, who came from Sligo, succeeding Mr. W. H. Wagner, had a varied experience and was most courteous and obliging to the general public.

On the afternoon of the 7th inst. several companies of the 3rd Battalion of the South Antrim Regiment, Ulster Volunteer Force, were engaged in field operations on the lands of Mr. R. Horner, Brookhill, sear Lisburn. The men were under the command of Colonel A. H. Pakenham.

About five tons of hay and two tons of corn in stock, the property of Mrs. Lennon, a well-to-do farmer, residing at Corfinlough, some 3½ miles from Ballybay, County Monaghan, were destroyed by fire in the early hours of the 4th inst., being found turned to ashes when the family rose.

A painfully sudden death occurred in Coleraine on Friday morning. Mr. John Mullan, general dealer, aged thirty-seven years, residing in New Row, was found dead in bed by his mother. Deceased had been attended by Dr. W. K. Law for heart affection for some time past, and an inquest was not considered necessary.

Arrangements are well advanced for the holding of a volunteer camp in the extensive and picturesque grounds of Knockballymore, Clones, the property of the Earl of Erne, K.P., from the 14th to the 21st inst. Knockballymore is situated about a mile and a half from Clones, midway between that town and the village of Magheraveely.

The death occurred at the Union Infirmary, Ballymoney, on the 7th inst., of the married man Robert Dymond who was injured in the boiler explosion which took place at the Northern Counties Hotel, Portrush, on the evening of the 15th January. Deceased had received a compound fracture of each leg, and was badly scalded about the head and face.

Mr. J. Sears, County Instructor for Fermanagh, inspected the men of the Clabby Company of Volunteers, under Mr. David Creddin, company commander, at Clabby (Fermanagh), on the 7th inst. The men looked smart, and showed remarkable efficiency in drill and musketry practice, the major portion of the men being passed for certificates of proficiency.

At the monthly meeting of the Executive Committee of the County Antrim Agricultural Association the election of officials resulted as follows -- Chairman, Capt. Patrick, J.P.; vice-chairman, Mr. Charles M'Connell, J.P.; Field Committee, Captain Patrick. Messrs. S. W. Anderson, Norman C. Caruth, C.C.; John Kernohan, M.R.C.V.S.; Jas. B. M'Allister, J.P.; Chas. M'Connell, W. H. Russell, and R. C. Simpson, J.P.

In consequence of the heavy rains during last week, many acres of land in low-lying districts in Counties Donegal and Tyrone were under water on Friday. The mountain streams and rivulets, swollen by the exceptional rains, were the means of submerging considerable portions of farms; while the Foyle and Finn, also swollen, overflowed their banks in various places.

After a lapse of almost fifty-seven years the heirs at law, in the locality of Gilford, of a man named M'Keown, who died in America in 1857, have been traced. The authorities have got into communication with the deceased man's relatives (who are five in number), and each of them will benefit to the extent of several hundred pounds sterling as a result of prolonged investigations.

A parade service for the neighbouring companies of the 1st and 3rd Battalions Central Antrim Regiment was held at Carnmoney Presbyterian Church on the afternoon of the 8th inst. The service was conducted by Rev. Hugh Waterworth, and the sermon preached by Rev. Robert Wallace. Rev. R. J. Clarke, of Carnmoney Parish Church, was avoidably prevented from taking part.

The question of non-payment of rates by the inhabitants of the islands on the West coast of Donegal was under consideration at the meeting of the Finance Committee of the Donegal County Council last week. The Chairman (Mr. W. J. Hanna, J.P.) said this was a very serious matter and he hoped sincerely that it would not operate against the grants made towards the improvement of Burtonport Pier.

On the afternoon of the 8th inst., the Halliday's Bridge Company of Volunteers (Hillsborough Regiment) paraded in full force and attended Divine service in St. James' Chapel-of-Ease, Hillsborough. The company was in command of Captain M'Leavy and Sergeant Johnston. The ladies of the ambulance corps, to the number of thirty-eight, in charge of Mrs. M'Leavy, marched at the head of the Volunteers.

The death took place on Sunday from heart failure, after a few hours' illness, of Mr. Thomas M'Dermott, vice-president of Londonderry Unionist Association. The deceased was manager of the Foyle and Bann Fisheries. A strong Unionist, he was one of the speakers at the Presbyterian anti-Home Rule demonstration in Belfast. His son is Mr. W. S. M'Dermott, solicitor, of the firm of Messrs. (?)lie, Munn, & M'Dermott, Londonderry.

At the annual meeting of Portrush Unionist Club members on the 6th inst., the following officers were elected for 1914 -- President, Mr. James M'Farlane; honorary secretary, Mr. Douglas F. Scott; honorary treasurer Mr. Wm. M'Neill; committee, Messrs. R. B. Adams, S. Bacon, Oliver Bell, John Campbell, J. C. Hynds, W. J. Kerr, A. M'Millan, Thos. Martin, Robert Russell, Hugh Simpson, Hugh Stewart, and W. J. Woodrow.


Mr. H. R. Mansfield, formerly Radical M.P., for Spalding Division, died at St. Albans on Monday afternoon.

While sitting before the fire on Friday Miss Elizabeth Jebb, of Bear Road, Brighton, aged nearly eighty, caught her dressing gown alight, and was burnt to death.

"The Times" announces the death at Bath on the 5th inst., of Mr. Louis Pitman Russell, late Judge of Bombay High Court, in his 64th year.

Struck by a railway wagon while working on the Dublin and South-Eastern Railway at Bray on Friday, a labourer named Daniel Kelly was killed. Another man was injured.

A Llanelly telegram announces the death of Mrs. Roberts, mother of Mr. Evan Roberts, the Welsh revivalist. The deceased lady had been ill for some months, and recently underwent an operation.

The "London Gazette" on Friday contained the following War Office notice -- His Royal Highness Prince Prajatipok of Siam is granted the honorary rank of second lieutenant in the army. Baba Kartar Singh Bebi is granted the honorary rank of lieutenant in the army.

At Haslemere on Saturday a fire occurred ai the Square, Fernhurst, the property of Mr. George Cunningham, which was totally destroyed. The outbreak originated in the servants' quarters. A garage containing a motor car was burnt out. The total damage exceeded 8,000.

Frederick Scott and Thomas William Stevenson were indicted at Middlesex Sessions on Saturday for burglaring, at Uxbridge. Some of the stolen property, including two bracelets, were found by the police in a willow tree. A silver teapot was discovered in a culvert, and other articles were recovered in a cowshed. Stevenson was sentenced to three years' penal servittude; Scott was put back for a month.

The death occurred at Westcliffe-on-Sea on Sunday of Rev. Jonathan Brierley, retired Congregational minister, in his seventy-first year. Deceased was stricken by seizure while playing chess on Saturday night, and expired next morning. Deceased had held pastorates at Torrington, Leytenstone, and. Balham. For many years he had contributed to the "Christian World," his articles being republished as a book.


Amsterdam, Tuesday. -- The famous Dutch sculptor, Bart Vanhove, died last night.

Versailles, Sunday. -- The aviator Bleriot failed to secure election to the Council-General here today as a Socialist Radical candidate.

Pau Basses, Pyrenees, Monday. -- In an explosion at an electric works here to-day, one workman was killed and two seriously injured.

Delhi, Monday. -- The death is announced of Mr. J. G. Lorimer, Acting Political Resident at Bushire. The death was apparently the result of a gun accident.

Berlin, Tuesday. -- A telegram from Bingen, at the junction of the Rhine and Nate, says that the Nahe has again commenced to rise. The situation in several places is critical.

Sydney, Saturday. -- The recently acquired State Government joinery works and timber yards at Rosette were entirely burnt out this morning. The damage is estimated at over 50,000.



The news of the death of Mr. James Boyd, boot and shoe maker and insurance agent, Church Street, Antrim, was heard of with deep regret on Wednesday morning in the town and district. The deceased, who was a son of the late William Boyd, of Shaneoguestown, was going about as usual up to the 6th inst., when he was prostrated with an attack of pneumonia, and, in spite of the best medical skill and careful nursing, he passed away at eleven o'clock on the following night. The deceased went from Rickamore to Antrim upwards of forty years ago, and carried on a large and lucrative business in the town. He was a staunch Presbyterian, and was a member of First Antrim Presbyterian Church. In 1893 he assisted in forming a branch of the Unionist Club, and became joint secretary with Mr. E. Vance, and he held this honorary appointment with considerable satisfaction to the club and others up to the time of his death. Although about seventy-eight years of age, he was a member of the Volunteer Force, and was often heard to declare that he would give all the assistance in his power, if necessary, at the home base. Mr. Boyd was one of the best known members of the Masonic Order in County Antrim, and he held high offices in different branches of the Order to which he belonged, and took a deep interest in the widows' fund and orphan school. He was also instrumental in obtaining a site for and building the Masonic hall in the town of Antrim, and he was up to the time of his death a trustee. He was a man of sterling character, straightforward and honest in all his dealings, he was esteemed and respected by all who know him. Mr. Boyd, who never married, is survived by a brother and a sister, and to them and all his other relatives widespread sympathy will be extended.



The death occurred on Wednesday, to the regret of a wide circle of friends and acquaintances, of Mr. Samuel M. Wallace, at his residence, Point Street, Larne. The deceased, who was clerk of the local Board of Guardians and of the Rural Council, was about forty-four years of age, and had been in failing health for some time past. A native of Kilwaughter, Mr. Wallace went to Larne in 1890 as assistant clerk of the union, and on the death of Mr. Hay in 1901, he was appointed clerk to the Guardians and Rural Council. For a period of ten years previous to his appointment as clerk he acted as relieving-officer. He was clerk of the Larne Rural School Attendance Committee and also of the Old-Age Pensions Committee. He was a member of Larne and Kilwaughter Old Presbyterian Church. Of a quiet and retiring disposition, he had a kindly and genial nature, and was highly esteemed by all who had the honour of his acquaintance. Mr. Wallace was an able and efficient clerk, and much of the good work of the Guardians and Rural Council could be attributed to his foresight. Deep sympathy is felt with the members of the family in their bereavement.


The remains of Mr. Wallace were removed from Point Street, Larne, on Wednesday for interment in Kilwaughter. The funeral was one of the largest seem in the town for some years, the vehicles following the hearse extending about half a mile. All the principal places of business were closed.


^ top of page

The Witness - Friday, 20 February, 1914


BREAKEY -- Feb. 14, at 12, Sandra Street, Newry, to Mr. and Mrs. Robert Breakey -- a daughter.

HANNA -- Feb. 13, at The Manse, University Street, Belfast, the wife of the Rev. S. Hanna, B.A. -- a daughter.


STANTON--M'CRONE -- Feb. 4, at 137, Sherman, Denver, by the Rev. James S. Elder, D.D., Harry L., youngest son of the late Robert L. Stanton, London, England, to Elizabeth J., only daughter of the late James M'Crone, Ballyclare.


GAMBLE -- Feb. 11, 1914, at The Cottage, Carnew, Dromara, Robert Gamble, late Headmaster of Carnew National School. Interred in First Dromara Meeting-house Green.

ALLEN -- Feb. 13, at The Retreat, Armagh, Edmund, second son of the late Alexander Dawson Allen, aged 64 years.

BEGGS -- Feb. 14, at Elm Cottage, Ballyhill, William Beggs.

BOYCE -- Feb. 13, at Ballmeglaff, Dundonald, Annie, widow of the late James Boyce.

BRAITHWAITE -- Feb. 14, at 4, Salisbury Avenue, Renny, husband of Mildred Braithwaite.

BROWN -- Feb. 18, at (?)en Road, Knock, James M. Brown, eldest son of the late James Brown, D.I.N.S.

COONEY -- Feb. 14, at Linenhall Street, Ballymena, Rachel, wife of Daniel Cooney.

DAVEY -- Feb. 17, at 51, Brougham Street, Belfast, Maggie, wife of Samuel Davey.

DOHERTY -- Feb. 14, at 42, Vicinage Park, Belfast, Daniel T. Doherty (formerly of 58, Ann Street) in his 84th year.

FINLAY -- Feb. 11, at Killough, County Down, Hugh Finlay, in his 80th year.

FOSTER -- Feb. 17, at Ballywalter, Eliza Jane Foster.

GARDINER -- Feb. 12, at Oakmount, Drumbeg, Dunmurry, William, son of the late Alexander Gardiner.

GARDNER -- Feb. 13, William, eldest son of Wm. Gardner, Bruslee, Ballyclare.

GRAHAM -- Feb. 5, at Beagh Home, Maghera, Jane Graham, aged 85 years.

GREER -- Feb. 18, at 193, Grosvenor Road, Margaret Greer, relict of the late James Greer.

HENRY -- Feb. 14, 1914, at her residence, Frances Street, Newtownards, Sarah Singleton, widow of William Henry, founder of "Newtownards Chronicle."

HUNTER -- Feb. 15, at his residence, 8, Bachelor's Walk, Lisburn, Johnston Hunter (formerly of Tullyglush, Dromore, Co. Down), in the 78th year of his age.

LITTLE -- Feb. 12, at Kincora, Cardigan Drive, John Henry (Harry), infant son of James Little.

LOCKHART -- Feb. 11, 1914, at her brother's residence, Lurgaboy, Markethill, Mary, daughter of the late George Lockhart. (Passed away after a lingering illness).
     Do we mourn when another star
          Shines out from the glittering sky?
     Do we weep when the raging of war
          And the sounds of conflict die?
     Then why should our tears run down,
          And our hearts be sorely riven,
     For another gem in the Saviour's crown
          And another voice in heaven.

M'DOWELL -- Feb. 14, at Mount Olive, Cavehill Road (and late of Garfield Street), James, husband of Jane M'Dowell.

M'ILWRATH -- Feb. 15, at 107, University Avenue, Belfast, Agnes, widow of the late William M'Ilwrath, Banbridge, aged 72 years.

MURRAY -- Feb. 13, at 57, Dufferin Avenue Bangor, Betsy, widow of the late Robert M'Murray.

NELSON -- Feb. 16, at Toughlomney, Maralin, Margaret, relict of the late John Nelson.

NORTHEY -- Feb. 14, at Mosapbir, Cavehill Road (the residence of her son, Rev. J. Northey), Eliza Northey, Glentogher, Co. Donegal.

RITCHIE -- Feb. 17, at Rockmount, Ballykeigle, Ballygowan, James Ritchie, in his 79th year.

SAULTERS -- Feb. 13, at 261, Tennent Street, John Saulters.

SCOTT -- Feb 15, at 364, Newtownards Road, Belfast, Henry Cairns Scott.

SINCLAIR -- Feb. 14, at his residence, Hopefield, Belfast, Thomas Sinclair, in his 76th year.

TURNER -- Feb. 17, at 36, Israel Sweet, Belfast, Robert Turner (formerly of Carlisle Circus).

WALLACE -- Feb. 12, at 5, Wolfhill Terrace, Ligoniel, Martha J., wife of Edward Wallace.

WILLIAMS -- Feb. 17, at the Hill, Ardglass, the wife of Walter Williams.

WILSON -- Feb. 18, at Islandbawn, Muckamore, Robert B, Wilson, (late of Rashee).

WILSON -- Feb. 17, at his residence, 235, Shankill Road, Belfast, Johnston Wilson.



We regret to announce the death of the Rev. Joseph Dempster, B.A., minister of the Scots' Presbyterian Church, Carlow, which occurred on Sabbath morning last. For some time past Mr. Dempster had been in poor health. His friends wished him to resign his congregation, but his courage and devotion to his work kept him at the post of duty up to the very last. He was at the meeting of Presbytery in Dublin on the third of the present month. He seemed to be quite as well as he had been for some time past. On Saturday he was going about his duties as usual. Untoward symptoms suddenly developed, and he passed quietly away early on Sunday morning.

Mr. Dempster was a native of County Antrim, near Ballymena. He took his university degree in the Royal University, and studied theology in the Assembly's College, Belfast. Soon after receiving licence to preach, he was called to the congregation of Ballydown, near Banbridge, where he laboured for several years. Under his ministry various important improvements were effected in the church property. He Vas assisted in all his undertakings by an attached and loyal people. About twenty years ago he received and accepted a call to the congregation of Carlow. Mr. Dempster was a man of great kindliness of disposition. He was greatly beloved by his people, and he enjoyed the respect and confidence of all his brethren in the ministry. His death is a distinct loss to the Presbyterian Church. He leaves a widow and one daughter, and the utmost sympathy will be extended to them in their sad bereavement.


The funeral took place on Tuesday at Carlow, amid many signs of public regret and sympathy. Divine worship was conducted at the manse by Revs. D. Meeke and J. M. Craig, and in the church by the Moderator of the Presbytery of Dublin (Rev. A. Galley); the Rev. S. Ridgeway, M.A., sector of Carlow, and the Rev. Dr. Prenter. In the course of his address, Dr. Prenter said -- We are gathered in solemn circumstances about the dust of our friend, who had a genius for friendship, whose slow decay we have witnessed with sorrow during the past years. He had known Mr. Dempster in his first charge in Co. Down, and more intimately since he became a member of the Dublin Presbytery. All through he was the same loyal friend. His character was best described in the Apostle's portrait of a true bishop -- blameless, not self-willed, not soon angry, not easily provoked, a lover of hospitality, a lover of good men, holding fast the faithful word, apt to teach. All these lineaments came out distinctly in Mr. Dempster's character and life. The best sermon he preached was his own life. He experienced the truth he taught, and he illustrated it by his life. The courage and hope with which he had faced duty during these last years, while he knew that a sentence of death was passed upon him, were wonderful and inspiring. He died in Victory, and his flesh rests in hope.

The committal service was conducted by Revs. F. S. Gardiner and H. P. Glenn.



The intimation of the death of the above highly respected gentleman, at the residence of his son, Rev. Joseph Northey, Belfast, was received with very deep regret on Saturday last by all classes of the community over a wide area of the Inishowen Peninsula, County Donegal. Deceased, who had attained the ripe age of eighty-two years, visited Belfast a short time ago on a visit to his son, the esteemed minister of the Macrory Memorial Church in that city, but subsequently became seriously ill, and passed away, as stated, as the result of heart trouble. Mr. Northey was a native of Penzance, Cornwall, and came to this country in the year 1863 in connection with the working of Glentogher gold mines, then being reopened, and, living, as he was in the midst of an almost entirely Roman Catholic community, he speedily made his impress upon the locality by his Christian life and character, and has passed to his reward full of years and honour. On Tuesday morning the remains were removed from, his son's residence, Mosaphir, Belfast, for interment in the family burying ground attached to Carndonagh Presbyterian Church. At the church the funeral service was conducted by Rev. Robert Morrison, B.A., who gave a touching address, saying that by the death of Mr. Northey a notable figure had passed away, and although for some time he was prevented by an accident from waiting on the ministry of the Word yet he fully maintained his interest in Divine things, and at the end passed away whilst the comforting words of the twenty-third Psalm were being read to him by his son. The solemn service concluded with the reading of a chapter and prayer at the graveside. The chief mourners were -- Rev. Joseph Northey, Belfast, and Mr. Alexander Northey, Glentogher House (sons); Mr. H. St. G. L. Scott (grandson), Mr. John Scott D.L. (relative).



The widespread and high esteem in which the late Mr. James Boyd, of Antrim, was held was strikingly attested, by the imposing and representative gathering of mourners who attended his funeral. The remains were conveyed from his late residence, in Church Street, Antrim, on Friday afternoon, and interred in Templepatrick Churchyard, being accorded Masonic honours in recognition his long time connection with and enthusiastic services for the Craft. The chief mourners were Messrs. Samuel Boyd and David Boyd (brothers), David M'Cammon Boyd, Robert James Boyd, Wm. Boyd, John Boyd, Thomas Boyd (nephews), Andrew Law(?) (brother-in-law), Alexander Boyd, David Boyd (grand nephews), John Macartney, and John Wilson (cousins). The service at the home was conducted by Rev. Thomas West, D.D. (First Antrim Presbyterian Church), who also assisted at the graveside, where the Masonic service was conducted by Br. Rev. A. Turner, chaplain Lodge 160, Templepatrick.



The remains of Mr. Wm. Stewart, whose death took place on Thursday, 12th inst. as the result of an accident in his corn mills that morning, were removed on Saturday from his late residence, Templereagh, for interment in Donaghendry Churchyard. The popularity of the deceased was evidenced by the large number of people who attended the funeral, the cortege being one of the largest that have been seen in the district for many years.

Prior to the removal of the remains, Rev. J. A. Donaldson, minister of Stewartstown Presbyterian Church, conducted a deeply impressive service at the house. Having read suitable portions of Scripture, he said that he did not as a rule say anything on such occasions, but the present circumstances were so tragic and melancholy, and the loss to all of them so great that he could not refrain. A prince in Israel had fallen, they mourn the loss of a man who was beloved by all who knew him, and held in the highest respect and esteem by the whole community. His name stood for all that was straightforward and upright and honourable in business, his word was as good as another man's bond; he was a man of high ideals, of fixed(?) principles, of fine character. The whole community is poorer by reason of his removal, the poor have lost in him a generous friend, and every worthy object a munificent supporter; no one in need was ever sent away empty from Templereagh, and no worthy cause was ever pleaded in vain at its door. He did good by stealth, he never let his right hand know what his left hand did. It might be truly said of him, he was diligent in business, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord. His work was his hobby, he seemed to be of tireless energy, and while a strong man, firm in his purpose, steadfast in his friendship, yet he was ever gentle, and kind, and sympathetic. By his death the congregation of Stewartstown has lost an honoured elder, a devoted member, and a most liberal supporter of all its funds. He was seldom or never absent from the services in the house of God, and to him his presence was an inspiration. He could scarcely trust himself to speak of his own relations with the deceased, he was a tower of strength, always the same, so appreciative, so considerate, so absolutely loyal, they would not soon see has like again; why, his face was a sermon. When in his presence you felt you ought to be a better man, and on leaving him you resolved to be a better man, and yet he never talked religion; that was not his forte; but he did better, he lived it. He was a man of God, and so his sudden death did not find him unprepared, it was but the Father's voice calling home His child. The speaker concluded by saying that he dare not attempt to say anything about the loss of a loving husband and a good father, that were too sacred. Let them send out their hearts in loving sympathy towards this darkened home, commending his dear ones to Him Who alone can help them, praying that the God of all comfort may more than make up their irreparable loss by His continued presence. Rev. Thos. Glass, B.A., led in prayer. At the graveside a short service was conducted by Rev. J. A. Donaldson and Rev. W. T. M'Clelland, Coagh. On Sunday the services in Stewartstown Presbyterian Church were conducted by Rev. R. M'Cammon, B.A., Lecumpher, assisted by Rev. J. A. Donaldson, when a touching reference was again made to the loss the community and congregation had sustained in the death of Mr. Stewart.



We regret to announce the death at a great age of Mr. Robert Gamble, The Cottage, Carnew, Dromara. The deceased gentleman was headmaster of Carnew National School for almost thirty-five years, which position he filled with honour, and the duties of which he discharged with efficiency, as many great and good men can testify. It was here under this master and in this neat little school, set as an emerald amid the hills of Down, that men like Mr. Aiken, of the Sabbath-school Society, and Mr. James Pyper, of the Mercantile College, Belfast, laid the foundation of their future greatness. A member of the Reformed Presbyterian Congregation of Dromara the deceased took a deep interest in its temporal and spiritual welfare. He contributed liberally of his means to the schemes of the congregation, and the Church, and to many other charitable organisations. He was elected to the office of ruling elder at the inception of the congregation in 1874, which office he filled with faithfulness and loyalty. He was also appointed clerk of session, and leader of the congregational praise, which latter office was his true delight. A lover of music and of the inspired Psalms, which were his constant comfort and joy, even to the last hour, it was with great regret he relinquished the office, after almost forty years' ungrudging service, owing to declining strength. Amid manifestations of sincere regret and respect the remains were removed to First Dromara Meeting-house Green. The funeral procession was large and respectable. A service was conducted in the home and at the graveside by the Rev. W. Warnock, B.A. (pastor loci), and the Rev. T. Boyd, Newtownards. The deceased is survived by his wife, with whom much sympathy is felt in her bereavement. The Rev. W. Warnock at the close of the service on Sabbath last in the Reformed Presbyterian Church, Dromara, made a touching reference to the death of Mr. Gamble, taking as the basis of reference the words, "Remember them that had the rule over you which spake unto you the Word of God, and, considering the issue of their life, imitate their faith."



The news of the death of Mr. T. Doherty will be received with much regret by a wide circle of his friends and acquaintances in Belfast and other parts of Ulster. Although in his eighty-fourth year he had enjoyed the best of health up till a few months ago. A general breakdown then began to manifest itself, and, not unexpectedly, the end came on Saturday, when he passed peacefully away at his residence, 42, Vicinage Park. The deceased,, who was born in Carmavey, in Crumlin district, came when quite young to Belfast, where he apprenticed himself to the printing trade with Messrs. Johnston & Yeates, a well-known firm having their premises in High Street. After his term had expired he set up on his own account in Ann Street, where he experienced a gratifying amount of prosperity, and was succeeded by his eldest son James, who trades still under the style of Messrs. D. T. Doherty & Son, at 52, Ann Street, while conducting progressive branch establishments in Donegall Place and Royal Avenue. He was one of the few in our midst who saw the printing trade go through the various revolutions that have marked its development from the old hand printing press to the present up-to date machines.



At an adjourned inquest at Tilbury yesterday on Major Lionel Welbraham. of Andover, Hants, a retired officer, aged fifty-nine, formerly of the Royal Irish Fusiliers, who served in the Egyptian war of 1882, being present at, the battle of Tel-el-Kebir, the jury returned an open verdict that deceased died from taking an overdose of veronal. Deceased arrived from British Columbia on December 30, and a few days later was found unconscious at his hotel.



The funeral of the late Mr. Charles C. Connor, J.P., took place on Saturday from his residence, 10, College Gardens, to the City Cemetery, and though it was announced that the funeral would be private, there was nevertheless a very large and representative attendance, for deceased, who was an ex-M.P. for the North Division of County Antrim, and an ex-Mayor of Belfast, was a popular figure in the city, and was highly esteemed by a wide circle of friends and acquaintances.

Messrs. Melville & Co., Ltd., Belfast, were entrusted with the funeral arrangements, which were carried out in a most satisfactory manner.




Mr. David Hill, of Bridge End, Ballynure, County Antrim, retired farmor, who died on the 10th November last, left 6,662.

On Sunday afternoon 550 officers and men of the Dungannon Battalion U.V.F. attended a special church parade at Donaghmore (County Tyrone). Some of the men marched four miles to the service amidst a tempest of wind and rain.

Mr. Wm. Brown, B.A., of the Ballymena Model School, has been appointed principal of the Hill Street National Schools, Lurgan, in the room of the late Mr. Wm. Shields. Mr. Brown, who is a native of Waringstown, has had a distinguished career.

At Derry on Monday the Londonderry Corporation applied for an order under section 75 of the Towns Improvement Act directing Philip Daly, the owner of the premises at 31, Bridge Street, to demolish or repair them. The magistrates made the order sought.

Mr. James English, J.P., has been unanimously re-elected chairman of the Lurgan Technical Instruction Committee, and Mr. W. J. Hughes, B.A., Lisburn, has been appointed teacher of French and German in the room of Miss J. E. Wedgwood, M.A., resigned.

The first festival of the season in connection with Tyrone Presbytery Choir Union was held last evening in Ballygoney, when the united choirs numbered 120. A lecture on the Psalms by the Rev. Dr. M'Kean was read, in his absence through illness, by Rev. G. Wilson.

At a meeting of the members of Loyal Orange Lodge No. 417, held in the Portadown Orange Hall, a past master's certificate, enclosed in a neat frame, was presented to Mr. John Patton, who has been master of the lodge for the lengthened period of thirty-nine years.

When going to his business on Friday morning Mr. Alexander Donaldson, manager of Ballinode Creamery, took suddenly ill, along the road and dropped dead. He had been treated by Dr. M. R. Whitlam J.P., Monaghan, for heart trouble, and an inquest was considered unnecessary.

Mr. Francis Norman Best, of Cushenard House, Richhill, County Armagh, student, who died at Aughavilla, Warrenpoint, left estate valued at 1,462 10s 7d, all of which he bequeathed to his brother, Victor Greer Best, and his sisters, Mary Florence and Sarah Elizabeth Best, in equal shares.

At Omagh Board of Guardians' meeting on Saturday, the committee appointed for the purpose reported that they had inspected the old graveyard at the Workhouse, which they considered most unsanitary, and recommended that it be not used further. It was decided to employ Mr. J. L. Donnelly, architect, to have a new plot mapped.

Sincere regret is felt by a wide circle of friends at the death of Mrs. Smiley, widow of Rev. William Smiley, LL.D., Methodist minister, who passed away after a few days' illness on Sunday evening. Mrs. Smiley was sister of Mrs. De Courey, of Lucan, and died at the residence of her brother-in-law. Rev. Thomas Knox, Methodist minister, 17, Salisbury Avenue, Belfast.

The commander (Mr. William Coote, J.P.) of the South Tyrone Battalion Ulster Volunteer Force presided at a social reunion in connection with the Ballygawley section in the Smyth Memorial Hall on Thursday night, and outlined a programme of advanced orders, including mobilisation, which would be carried out within the next few weeks by the men.

The widespread and high esteem in which the late Mr. James Boyd, of Antrim, was held was strikingly attested by the imposing and representative gathering of mourners who attended his funeral. The remains were conveyed from his late residence, in Church Street, Antrim, on Friday afternoon, and interred in Templepatrick Churchyard, being accorded Masonic honours.

At a special meeting of Newry Urban Council on Monday held for the purpose of considering the question of providing a public cemetery in Newry, the Clerk said he was reckoning on the cost not exceeding 4,000, which would mean about 2d in the on the rates. It was resolved to provide a cemetery, and Messrs. O'Rorke, M'Cafferty, Dowdall, Ruddy, Willis, and Long were appointed a committee.

On Monday work commenced in earnest at Knockballymore camp near Clones, where the leaders and commanders of the County Fermanagh and County Monaghan battalions of the Ulster Volunteer Force are undergoing training. Drilling was carried on for several hours, and there were also musketry classes. A range and butts were erected, under the supervision of Major Richardson, D.L., and the men in squads are engaged at rifle practice.

On Sunday morning the U.V.F., Cookstown Companies, joined by the Lissan Company, paraded from the Orange Hall to the Third Presbyterian Church in Molesworth Street. The procession almost 300 strong, was in charge of Company Commander Mr. John Byers, solicitor; Mr. W. J. Lavery, half-company commander; and the sergeant-major of the company, Mr. W. Taylor. The service was conducted by the Rev. John Entrican, B.A., minister of the congregation.

On Monday night a public meeting was held in the Town Hall, Banbridge, when Mr. Hugh Adamson, Banbridge, was presented with certificates and cheques from the Carnegie Hero Fund Trust and from the Society for the Protection of Life from Fire for heroic conduct displayed by him in rescuing the late Mr. George A. Mearns, late of the Banbridge Gas Company, from a burning building on the occasion of the explosion at the Gasworks on the 3rd December last.

In order to mark their appreciation of the work of the men of the district in preparing themselves to resist Home Rule by force if necessary, a number of ladies resident in the neighbourhood of Burt entertained the local unit of the U.V.F. at a social in Burt Presbyterian Lecture Hall the other evening, tea and its accompaniments were dispensed by the following ladies, assisted by a band of stewards -- Mrs. Thompson, Mrs. M'Combe, Mrs M'Arthur, Mrs. Ross, Mrs. Bryce, Mrs. Craig, the Misses Allen, and Miss S. Buchanan.

The Bangor police were notified on Monday of a daring case of housebreaking which is supposed to have occurred at church time on Sunday evening. The house involved is one in Clifton Road, occupied by Mrs. Russell and her two daughters, and it appears that the thief gained entrance of the premises by means of a window which had a defective fastener. When the members of the family returned after church time they ascertained that several brooches, a gold watch, and sixteen shillings in money had been removed, together with a cash-box containing a number of important documents. The cash-box, its contents intact, was discovered in an adjoining field this morning and the police are investigating the matter.

On Sunday the grocery shop belonging to Mr. M'Crea at Drapersfield, near Cookstown, was broken into during the owner's absence, and a sum of 10 in gold, and silver stolen.

On Saturday evening, in a large field kindly lent by Mr. R. J. Harden D.L., J.P., Major Blacker (Carrickblacker) inspected companies of the Ulster Volunteer Force drawn from Clare, Ahorey, Teemore, Cornascriebe, Laurelvale, and Tandragee.

At about 2 a.m. on the 14th inst., the house of Mrs. Scott, a widow, who resides with her son and two daughters at Gortgranard, Clones, was burglariously entered by some person unknown, but nothing of value was taken away, the burglar being surprised.

On the evening of the 16th inst. Major W. A. Lenox Conyngham, D.L., of Springhill, Moneymore (commanding officer for South Derry), held an inspection of both the Tamlaght O'Crilly and Innisrush Companies of the South Derry Regiment of the U.V.F.

The death occurred in Derry on Tuesday, of the well-known shipowner, Mr. John MacDevette, J.P. He was senior partner of the firm of MacDevette & Donnell, shipowners, and for over half a century held a leading position in the commercial life of Derry.

On Monday night a youth named Samuel Nimock, aged fifteen years, was brought to the Coleraine Infirmary. having sustained rather serious injuries as the result of an accident which occurred while he was assisting in cutting down a tree at Ballywildrick, near Coleraine.

Shortly before midnight on Saturday last a fire was discovered to have broken out at the rear of premises occupied by Mr. Charles M'Clure, Irish Quarter South, Carrickfergus. Under the direction of Superintendent Mr. P. E. Deane the Brigade set to work, and two jets were turned on the flames, which were got under in a short space of time.

The marriage takes place on Wednesday at Trory Church, County Fermanagh, of Mr. H. C. Irvine, of Castle Irvine, and Miss Mildred Cicily Carleton Richardson; and on the same day at Moyglare, Captain H. F. Dansey, the Duke of Edinburgh's (Wiltshire Regiment), and Miss Nora Fitzgerald Tuthill, daughter of Captain and Mrs. J. F. Tuthill, of Moyglare House, County Meath.

On Tuesday afternoon a public meeting of farmers was held in the City Hall, Armagh, in support of the co-operative scutch mill movement, when there was a large and representative attendance. It was unanimously resolved to start one or more cooperative flax mills, and a committee was appointed to arrange details.

The drilling of the 2nd Battalion of the U.V.F., North Londonderry Regiment, goes on nightly with unabated vigour, and the men in the various companies are becoming thoroughly efficient in their duties. On Friday evening Colonel Beresford-Ashe inspected A and B Companies (Limavady) in the drillground, and at the close of the inspection complimented the men on their smartness.

The Antrim unit of the 3rd Battalion of the South Antrim Regiment paraded on Sunday at the parade ground at Antrim Castle. Despite the inclemency of the weather there was a good muster of the Volunteers, about 160 turning out. The men marched from the castle grounds, via Castle Street, to First Antrim Presbyterian Church, where a special service was held, the preacher being the Rev. Dr. West, minister of the congregation.

At the annual meeting of Monaghan Unionist Club on 16th inst. the election of officers for the ensuing year was proceeded with, when Major E. J. Richardson was re-elected president, and Dr. J. Campbell Hall, D.L.; Captain F. M. Irwin, D.L.; Messrs. Hamilton Davidson, Wm. Martin, Wm. Swan, and M. E. Knight were re-elected vice-presidents.

On the afternoon of the 14th inst. Dr. Saml. Wallace, Coroner for North Down, held an inquest in the Imperial Hotel, Bangor, on the body of a newly born infant, which had been discovered lying behind a hedge on the Downshire Road on the previous afternoon. Dr. John F. Mitchell, Medical Officer of Health, stated that he believed death was due to exposure and want of nourishment. The jury returned a verdict in accordance with the medical evidence.

The outbreak of infantile paralysis in the Irvinestown, district continues to spread, and already two deaths hare occurred, the victims residing eight. miles apart. One boy aged 16 is lying seriously ill with the disease, his sister, aged 14, having succumbed to the attack. The Local Government Board sent down their medical inspector on the 14th inst. to inquire into the epidemic.

The people of Coleraine were grieved on Tuesday to learn of the death of Mr. John Kennedy, son of the late Mr. John Kennedy, formerly of Kinneyglass, Coleraine, and of Mrs. Kennedy, Excelsior Villas, Portstewart. The sad news came by wire from the captain of the Laird liner Lily, which stated that when Mr. Kennedy was called for his usual watch he was found lying dead in bed. The steamer was then on her voyage from Sligo to Westport.

His Grace the Lord Primate took part in a special service for the local sections of the Ulster Volunteer Force, held in Grange Parish Church. His Grace, before pronouncing the benediction, said he wished to impress upon the men the great necessity of constant prayer and waiting upon God in the present crisis, reminding them of the words of St. Paul in the Epistle to the Hebrews -- "Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together as the manner of some is, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as ye see the day approaching."

The heavy rains of these last few days have caused rather serious flooding in the neighbourhood of Holywood and Sydenham. The low-lying stretch of land on either side of the railway bank is completely under water, and is the cause of much inconvenience. In addition to the rains the tides have been exceptionally high, and this has added greatly to the effects of the deluge. The path along the sea front from Holywood to Seapark has been well nigh demolished, so that communication by this route is cut off. In Holywood a nursery garden situated in the low district has suffered much damage, a valuable crop of early vegetables being ruined by the sediment deposited by the flood.


The death took place last week of Major Frederick Bradford M'Crea, founder of the Army and Navy Stores.

Colonel J. S. Moore, late Army Service Corps, who has been on half-pay since November, 1912, is to be appointed Assistant Director of Supplies and Transport in the Irish Command, in succession to Colonel M. W. J. Edye, whose tenure of the appointment expires shortly.

The Duke of Sutherland has presented a petition to the Bill Chamber of the Court of Sessions asking the Court's approval of the sale to Mr. Stewart, a railway contractor in Vancouver, of the lands and barony of Aasynt, part of the Sutherland entailed estates, at a price of 66,000.

It was announced at the annual meeting of the Great Eastern Railway Company at Liverpool on Friday that Mr. W. Thornton, general manager of the Island Railway Co., the suburban railway of New York, had been appointed as successor to Mr. Hyde, who is retiring from the general managership owing to ill-health.

Lady Polworth died on Friday at Walton-on-the-Hill, Surrey, in her seventieth year. She was lady Mary Gordon, daughter of the fifth Earl of Aberdeen, and sister of the Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, of Lady Balfour of Burleigh, and of Lady Harriet Lindsay. She married Lord Polworth in 1863, and she had five sons and five daughters.

At a rent audit dinner at Brecon the agent Mr. Harries, stated that Lord Tredegar had told him he would be compelled to sell the greater part of his Breconshire property to provide the very large amount of money he had to pay in death duties. Tenants on the estate would have the first opportunity of purchasing their holdings, and Viscount Tredegar would do everything he possibly could to help them in doing so.

A report presented to the Carmarthenshire County Authority discloses a school strike at Pontyates, a colliery village which has two schools, one in Llanelly district and one in Carmarthen side were turned out. The Carmarthen school then proving also overcrowded, the children from the Llanelly side were turned out. The parents resent these actions, alleging that both schools have insufficient accommodation. The evicted children, to the number of forty, are not being sent to school, and the parents flatly decline to send them.

Damage estimated at 20,000 was caused by fire at the works of the Scottish Co-operative Wholesale Society, Shieldhall, Glasgow, on Saturday, when the "clicking" department of the boot factory was destroyed. At Glenboig, on Saturday morning, fire broke out in a block of shops and dwelling-houses, and caused damage estimated at between 5,000 and 10,000. Another alarming fire also took place in the works of Messrs. Clifton & Baird, tool makers, Johnstone, and the damage in this case will amount to over 6,000.

A tray of diamonds valued at about 4,000 was stolen front a shop window in Regent Street, London, and after a chase one of three men implicated was caught. About half-past five in the afternoon a man walked up to the window and with a brick wrapped in a newspaper he made a hole about 2ft. in diameter, and snatched a tray on which were a number of diamond rings. In the course of the chase the man flung away the case, which was picked up by a detective, but only a few rings remained in it. There were over 30,000 worth of diamonds and pearls in the window, and a number of articles of jewellery in addition, to the tray of rings are missing.


Tokio, Monday. -- The death is announced of Viscount Shuzo Aoki, the well-known Japanese diplomat.

Constantinople, Monday. -- The British Ambassador has demanded the arrest of the murderers of the captain of the British motor barge engaged in navigation on the Tigris.

Florence. Friday. -- Sigror Olivi, discoverer of the explosive rays, succeeded in exploding from a tower two torpedoes submerged in the Arno. The Government has secured the invention.

Berlin, Friday. -- In the Reichstag to-day the Foreign Under-Secretary stated that the German warships protected the Germans on the coast of Mexico, but in the interior the provision of protection was impossible. Mexico would be responsible for damage.

Tokio, Monday. -- The Government are about to float a railway loan in London amounting to two and a half million pounds. The Minister of Marine announces that Admiral Fugii and Captain Sawasaki would be Court-martialled in connection with the naval corruption case.

Montreal, Friday. -- The Quebec Legislative Committee, which has been investigating the charges of corruption made against certain members of the Legislature by the Montreal "Mail," found the charges proved in every instance. It is probable that criminal action will be taken.

Washington, Saturday. -- Owing to the cold weather the President was unable to attend the New Jersey reception at the White House last night. Despite emphatic official denials that there is anything serious the health of Mr. Wilson, according to the newspapers, causes considerable anxiety among his friends.

New York, Friday. -- The "Sun" states that official advices have been received at Washington confirming that the Chinese Government has entered into an agreement with the Standard Oil Co. The Standard Oil Co. officials here refuse to discuss the matter or give any details of the agreement.


^ top of page

The Witness - Friday, 27 February, 1914


GRIMASON -- Feb. 20, at 114, Thomas Street, Portadown, to Mr. and Mrs. W. A. Grimason -- a daughter.

HAMILTON -- Feb. 25, at Shrewsbury House, Old Trafford, Manchester, the wife of Dr. E. S. Burt Hamilton, of a son.


HAMILTON--SINCLAIR -- Feb. 23, 1914, at Hopefield House, Belfast (by special licence), by the Rev. James Pyper, B.A., Minister of Duncairn Church, Belfast, Captain Maurice C. Hamilton, of Roundwood, Mountrath, Queen's County, to Enid Helen, youngest daughter of the late Right Hon. Thomas Sinclair and Mrs. Sinclair.

WALSH--THOMPSON -- Feb. 18, at Rosemary Street Presbyterian Church, Belfast, by the Rev. A. Macafee (of Omagh), Richard Walsh, Portarlington, to Rebecca, youngest daughter of the late James C. Thompson and Mrs. Thompson, Mullaghmore, Omagh.


NICHOLSON -- Feb. 16, 1914, at his residence, Gleenish, Co. Monaghan (suddenly), William Nicholson, aged 75. Interred in the Churchyard, at Creivagh, Ballybay.

BACKHOUSE -- Feb. 19, at West Street, Carrickfergus, Elizabeth (Lillie), wife of Archibald Backhouse, 50, Canning Street, Belfast.

BAILLIE--GAGE -- Feb. 19, at Lansdowne Lodge, Dublin, Thomas R. Baillie-Gage, aged 71.

BARRON -- Jan. 8, at Gordon, Te-Aroha, New Zealand, Frances, widow of James G. Barron, late of Aughnabrack.

BELL -- At Springfield, Glenavy, James C. Bell.

BLACK -- Feb. 25, at 10, Southwell Road, Bangor, William Black.

BULLOCH -- Feb. 25, at Osborne Park House, Belfast, James Anderson Bulloch, J.P., in his 77th year.

CAMPBELL -- Feb. 24, at Main Street, Keady, Eliza Jane, widow of the late John W. Campbell.

CAULFIELD -- Feb. 18, at Ladyhill, Carnearney, Mary A. Caulfield.

CONNOR -- Feb. 20, Main Street, Randalstown, Ann Jane Connor, aged 88.

DAVISON -- Feb, 19, at Ballynease House, Portglenone, Matilda Spears Dysart, wife of Robert Davison.

GILMER -- Feb. 20, at Glenside, Crawfordsburn, Alexander Gilmer, senior.

GREENWOOD -- Feb. 23, at Crumkill, Agnes, wife of James Greenwood, senior.

HENRY -- Feb. 22, at Swan Park, Monaghan, Thomas Henry.

HUSTON -- Feb. 25, at High Street, Antrim, Elizabeth, wife of William H. Huston.

KINAHAN -- Feb. 21, Marion Elizabeth, widow of the late Frederic Kinahan, of Low Wood, Belfast.

KIRKWOOD -- Feb. 22, at 3, Marlborough Place, James Kirkwood, eldest son of Alexander Kirkwood.

MACKEY -- Feb. 19, at Aughnamillan, Jane Mackey.

MUCKLE -- At Millisle, Co. Down, Isabella, infant daughter of Robert Muckle.

M'CAMMON -- Feb. 24, at Knockagh House, Trooper's Lane, Robert M'Cammon.

M'KEE -- Feb. 19, at 36, Botanic Avenue, Belfast, Selina, wife of John M'Kee, and daughter of the late John M'Gown, Belfast.

OWENS -- Feb. 25, at the Shankill Buildings, Lurgan, Martha, relict of the late William Owens.

PATTERSON -- Feb.23, att 54, North Parade, James, infant son of William Patterson.

HAMSEY -- Feb. 19, at 6, Castle Street, Lisburn, William Ramsey, Funeral Undertaker, eldest son of the late William Ramsey.

RENTOUL -- Feb. 21, Florence Isabella, wife of Judge Rentoul, K.C., 44, Lexham Gardens, Kensington, London.

RODGERS -- Feb. 21, at Limnalary House, James Rodgers, in his 73rd year.

SMYTH -- Feb. 23, at Ballycullo, Dunmurry, Bella, daughter of the late John Smyth.

THOMPSON -- Feb. 25, at a Nursing Home, James F. Thompson, youngest son of the late William Thompson, Innisfallen, Annadale Avenue.



We regret to announce the death of Mr. William Nicholson, which occurred suddenly on the 16th inst. He had been down with the men ploughing, and returning home, collapsed and expired from heart failure. Mr. Nicholson was one of the good old Covenanters, and an elder in Creivagh Church, Ballybay. Only a few days previous to his death an address and presentation, which we publish elsewhere, was made to him by the members of his Bible-class in recognition of his faithful work. Mr. Nicholson, who was a strong Unionist all his life, was seventy-five years of age, but he bore his burden of years well. He leaves three daughters to mourn his loss -- one married in France, one in Scotland, and one in Pettigo. To them we extend our sympathy in their sad bereavement.




[--?--] just died at his residence, [Ash-?-], Garvagh, Mr. Patrick M'Nicholl, at the age of 101 years.

[-?-] Rosanna Wynne, of Lislea House, [-?-] who died on the 3rd November last, left a personal estate in the United Kingdom of 3,690 8s, and probate of her will [-?-] [?-th] December, 1910, has been granted to her sister, Miss Margaret Wynne, to whom [-?-] the whole of her estate absolutely.

[-?-ry] Asylum Committee on Friday the [-?-] of Lunatics wrote stating that they had investigated the circumstances attending [-?-] patient, Thomas Clark, who [-?-] the result of burns received by falling into a boiler. They found nothing calling unfavourable [comm-?-] regarded the [-?-] or supervision afforded him. The [-?-] considered satisfactory.

One of the largest catches of herrings within [-?-] forty years was made a few nights (ago when) the master of the fishing smack, [-?-] James M'Verry landed twenty-one [-?-] of fine large herrings, the major [-?-] of which has been consigned to [-?-] M'Verry had only one assistant [-?-], and had a stiff job in hauling in [-?-]

[-?-day] afternoon a shocking accident [-?-] at Banbridge Railway Station, [re-?-] [-?-] serious injury to an employee [Samuel] Robinson, aged about twenty-(?), a fireman on the engine travelling [-?-] Banbridge and Scarva Junction. The [-?-] man fell, and the wheel of the [-?-] passed over his right foot, severing [-?-] ankle.


Alderman Daniel O'Donnell, who was Mayor of Sligo in 1912 and 1913, died yesterday.

The tank steamer Rotterdam, from Amsterdam to New York, which had been drifting off the Irish coast owing to a disabled rudder, was towed into Queenstown on Friday.

The death occurred at his residence, near Aberdeen, of Mr. George James Walker, of Portlethen. He was factor for the Cromar Estate of Lord Aberdeen and a breeder of Aberdeen Angus cattle.

The King and Prince of Wales have both presented elegant silver cups, each valued at 25, to the West Norfolk Hunt for competition at their steeplechase at Pakenham on Easter Monday, April 13.

A tablet in memory of Field-Marshal Sir George White, V.C., Colonel of the Gordon Highlanders, will be unveiled in the Royal Military College Chapel, Camberley, by General Sir Charles Douglas, G.C.B., on Sunday, the 1st of March, at the close of the parade service.

A farewell dinner to Sir Edward Ward, late Permanent Under-Secretary at the War Office, was held last week at the Savoy Hotel. The Army Council were represented by Sir John French (who presided), Lieut.-General Sir Spencer Ewart, Major-General Von Donop, and Messrs. H. J. Tennant and Harold Baker.

The Press Association is informed that Sir Stuart Samuel has given notice of his intention to appeal against the recent judgment given against him in which he was ordered to pay 13,000 to Mr. Bird, of Hampstead, the "common informer" in the recent action arising out of Sir Stuart Samuel's votes in the House of Commons.

At a conference on Monday in London, presided over by Sir George Askwith, an agreement was signed by representatives both of employers and men ending the dispute in the chair-making industry at High Wycombe, which has lasted since the beginning of December. The agreement gives substantial concessions to the employees.

The Royal Aero Club has decided to establish an Aviation Benevolent Fund, the object being to relieve airmen, their wives, widows and dependents when in necessitous circumstances. The Royal Aero Club has voted fifty guineas as the club's first donation to the fund, and the Shell Motor Spirit Company has also contributed fifty guineas

The Duke of Connaught has sent a large silver inkstand, inscribed, "To Arthur FitzGerald, from his godfather, Arthur, Duke of Connaught," as a wedding present to Mr. Arthur FitzGerald, son of Sir Maurice FitzGerald, Knight of Kerry, who was married last week at Melton-Mowbray to Miss Mary Foster, daughter of Captain Foster, Master of the Quorn.

As evidence of the severe weather prevailing in the North Atlantic lately, the Manchester liner Manchester Port, of 2,660 tons, commanded by Captain Stott, came up the Mersey presenting a very battered appearance. The vessel was bound from Halifax, N.S., for Manchester. Her funnel and ventilators were bent and knocked out of shape some of her boats had been carried away, a skylight smashed, and a length of forty or fifty feet of her bulwarks was completely gone.


Bremen, Friday. -- The steam trawler Forelle, of Geestemuende, which sailed for Iceland two months ago, has gone down with all hands, numbering thirteen.

New York, Tuesday. -- Telegrams from Cap Haytien state that General Thodores and the rebel troops have been decisively beaten and the revolt is believed to have been quelled.

Los Angeles, Monday. -- The storm which swept through South California for three days has resulted in the loss of seven lives, while the damage to property is estimated at four and a half million dollars. The rainfall rose to twelve inches.

New York, Tuesday. -- A telegram from Panama states that Senor Billinghurst, the deposed President of Peru, has arrived there. Senor Billinghurst is on his way to Buenos Ayres, where it is his intention to take up his residence in future.

Leipzig, Friday. -- A seventeen-year-old apprentice named Schnitzler has been sentenced to five years' imprisonment for the betrayal of military secrets. A merchant named Kossler, who was charged with him, was sentenced to nine months' imprisonment.

Paris, Monday. -- Dr. Jean Charcot, the Arctic explorer, has been appointed president of the French Boy Scouts' Association.

Paris, Friday. -- The "Echo de Paris" announces that the Princess Elizabeth, the fiancee of the Crown Prince of Greece, will receive from King Carol a wedding portion of five million francs (200,000) and an appanage of 200,000 francs (8,000) She will also inherit a part of her father's fortune, which is estimated at eight millions sterling.



The death of Dr. William Bryce, announced on Monday, removes a venerable figure well known to many Edinburgh people. He retained perfect health and vigour at the advanced age of 93. He was born in 1821 in the Antiburgher Manse of Killaig, near Coleraine. There his father, the Rev. James Bryce, maintained a fight for Voluntary principles and spiritual freedom, the memories of which still linger in Ulster, and thence he sent his sons in the early part of last century to Glasgow University, where he himself had matriculated in 1783. The late Dr. William Bryce, however, studied medicine in Dublin and in Edinburgh, where he graduated in the early fifties. He was surgeon in the days of the Crimean War to the Duke of Buccleuch's Militia at Dalkeith, and settled in that town. Thence he removed to Edinburgh to take up the practice of the late Professor Henderson in the sixties, and conducted an extensive practice up to his retirement some years ago. His brothers -- the Rev. Dr. Bryce, of Belfast; Dr. Archibald Bryce, of Edinburgh; and Dr. James Bryce, of the Glasgow High School -- were noted educationists. The last named was the father of Viscount Bryce, ex-Chief Secretary for Ireland. Dr. William Bryce's eldest son is Professor of Anatomy in the University of Glasgow.



An interesting function in connection with Killucan Presbyterian Church took place on Thursday, 12th inst., when the members of the congregation presented a Silver Tea and Coffee Service to Mr. and Mrs. Jackson on the occasion of their marriage. The meeting was held in Mr. Jackson's residence. Rev. S. Duncan occupied the chair, and briefly referred to Mr. Jackson's popularity in the district and the valuable services he had rendered to Killucan Presbyterian Church for many years as its secretary and treasurer. In the name of the congregation he extended a very hearty welcome to Mrs. Jackson, who had come from Belfast. The presentation was made by Mrs. Duncan. Mr. Bailey and Mr. Mitchell then spoke of Mr. Jackson's many good qualities and the valuable help he had so willingly given to the church. They cordially welcomed Mrs. Jackson into their midst, and expressed the hope that she and Mr. Jackson might have a long, prosperous, and happy life. Mr. Jackson suitably replied, and on behalf of Mrs. Jackson and himself heartily thanked the members of the congregation for their valuable gift. He said they would always esteem it very highly not only on account of its intrinsic value, but also and especially on account of the kind thought to which it gave expression. A large company then sat down to a sumptuous tea kindly provided by Mrs. Jackson. A most pleasant and enjoyable evening was spent, the programme consisting of music, recitations, and games.


^ top of page