The Witness - Friday, 7 May, 1915


MARTIN--QUIN -- April 29, 1915, at St. Jude's Church, Ballynafeigh, Belfast, by the Rev. Canon Davis, M.A., assisted by Rev. R. N. Ruttle, B.A., James, fourth son of the late John Martin, Galwally, Newtownbreda, Co. Down, to Norah, third daughter of Stewart Blacker Quin, of Innisfallen, Annadale, Belfast.

M'COUBREY--KERR -- April 28, 1915, at Dunloy Presbyterian Church, by Rev. Charles H. Barbour, John, son of Mrs. M'Coubrey, Larne, to Janie, third daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Wm. P. Kerr, Corkey.

PURDY--ALLEN -- April 24, 1915 (by special licence), at Holy Trinity Church, Gray's Inn Road, London, W.C., James Ringland, 1st Canadian Contingent, elder son of James Purdy, M.R.C.V.S., Dublin, to Norah Bailie, daughter of the late Joseph Allen, C.E., Whitefields, Drogheda.

SCOTT--SLOAN -- April 23, at First Dungannon Presbyterian Church, by Rev. R. J. Sloan (brother of the bride), assisted by Rev. Isaac Sloan (uncle), and Rev. S. J. M'Kay (brother-in-law), Thomas D., younger son of Mr. Thomas Scott, Ballybay, to Annie Isabella, youngest daughter of Mr. Zeno Sloan, Dungannon.


BURNS -- April 30, at Dundalk Street, Newtownhamilton (after a long illness, borne with Christian resignation), Sara Jane, beloved wife of Alexander Burns. Interred in Second Newtownhamilton Burying-ground, on 2nd inst.

FERGUSON -- May 2, at her residence, Burn Road, Cookstown, Fanny, daughter of the late Joseph Ferguson, Cookstown. Interred in Desertcreat, on Tuesday.

ALLEN -- May 1, at Alton, Ormiston Park, Knock, Belfast, Margaret Elizabeth, wife of John Allen.

BEGGS -- April 29, at The Station, Greenisland, Agnes Beggs, late of Mossley.

BELL -- May 4, at 7, India Street, Belfast, Wm. Bell (late of Messrs. Andrew Millar & Co., Clifton Street).

BESTALL -- At Private Nursing Home, Dublin, Henry C., Park Parade, Lisburn, eldest son of Audley Bestall, Elmwood, Lisburn.

BRIGGS -- May 4, at Rosevale, Lisburn, Isaiah Briggs.

CHAMBERS -- April 29, at 173, Madrid Street, Margaret Jesse, relict of John Chambers, of Ballymena.

CRAWFORD -- May 2, at Hurtletoot, Mary E. Crawford.

CULBERT -- May 1, 1915, at his residence, 11, Botanic Avenue, Belfast, Robert Culbert, in his 83rd year.

DAVIS -- May 1, at Ballyroney, Rathfriland, William Davis.

DOWNING -- May 5, at the residence of his mother, 46, South Parade, Belfast, Samuel Downing (Boot Merchant, 347, Ormeau Road), the dearly-beloved husband of Etta Downing, and third son of the late John Downing, Hillhall, Lisburn.

FALLS -- May 5, at Grangemount, Dhu Varren, Portrush, Daniel Falls.

FLACK -- April 29, at Brackagh, Eleven Lane Ends, Tandragee, Hugh Flack, aged 77 years.

GARDNER -- April 28, at Saraville, Knock, Margaret, youngest daughter of the late Thomas Gardner.

GARDNER -- May 4, at Aurora, Ballyholme, Bangor, Mary Wallace, wife of Robert R. Gardner.

GORDON -- April 29, at 21, Shandon Street (late of Enagh, Co. Armagh), John, husband of Elizabeth Gordon.

GRAHAM -- May 3, at Newtownards, James, eldest son of the late William Graham, Ballyhay.

GRAHAM -- April 28. at Keady, Margaret, relict of the late Joseph Graham.

HAMILTON -- April 29, at Bangor, Jeanie M'Kechnie Souden, widow of the late Andrew Hamilton, of 73, Eglantine Avenue, Belfast.

HAYES -- May 2, Frances M. Hayes, wife of Hugh Hayes, Solicitor, Moorefield, Maralin, Lurgan.

HODGSON -- April 30, at Ovingdean, Osborne Park, Belfast, Fanny Jane, third daughter of the late Thomas Hodgson.

IRWIN -- April 18, 1915, killed in action near Shabkadr, North-West Frontier, India, 2nd Lieutenant A. H. Irwin, 8th Rajputs, son of the late Dr. Irwin, Tientsin, North China, and Mrs. Irwin, 23, Terrapin Road, Balham, London, also nephew of Mr. John M'Robert, J.P., Rademon, Crossgar.

JOHNSON -- May 3, at The Manchester House, Dungannon, William S., husband of Susan Johnston.

KELLY -- April 29, at Culnafay House, Toomebridge, Thomas Adams Kelly, J.P.

KERNOHAM -- May 4, at her residence, Killane, Ahoghill, Elizabeth (Betty), wife of the late William Kernoham, aged 86 years.

LITTLE - April 30, at Bank Cottage, Dungannon, George Little, aged 68 years.

LYTLE-- April 30, at Draperstown, Elizabeth A., daughter of the late Joseph Lytle, Tergoland, Dungiven, Co. Derry.

MAGEE -- May 5, at The Rectory, the Rev. Wm. Percival Magee, M.A., Rector of Killylea, Co. Armagh.

MINFORD -- May 1, 1915, at Parkgate, Co. Antrim, Alexander M'Kinney Minford, M.B., B.Ch. (Edinburgh University), sixth surviving son of the late Hugh J. Minford and Mrs. Minford.

M'ALLEN -- May 4, at Market Street, Armagh, Martha, relict of the late John M'Allen.

M'CORMICK -- April 29, at Monkstown, James M'Cormick.

SPROTT -- May 5, at Ednego, Garvaghy, Banbridge, Henry Dickson Sprott.

WARNOCK -- May 5, at Loughan, Coleraine, William Warnock.

In Memoriam

M'MURRY -- In loving and affectionate remembrance of our dear mother, Abigail M'Murry, who died at her residence, Drumgreeny, Ballybay, Co. Monaghan, on 5th May, 1909.
"In hope of Eternal Life."
Inserted by her Family.




It is with great sadness that we have learned by letter of the death of Mrs. Weir, wife of Rev. Andrew Wear, B.A., of Kuyushu, Manchuria. No particulars are yet to hand. We had hoped that Mrs. Weir was successfully combating the disease which for six years she has fought unceasingly -- a disease brought on by devotion to her work and the often unhealthy surroundings in which it had to be carried on. The news came quite unexpectedly. Dr. Eva Simms (as she was when she first sailed for China) was brought up in connection with Scarva Street congregation, Banbridge. She left the Homeland for Manchuria nine year's ago. Three and a half of these were spent in Chinchow. Every day was filled with work, whether study of the Chinese language, medical work, visiting in the homes of the people -- Christian and heathen alike -- teaching in the hospital. She always thought herself as strong physically as she undoubtedly was spiritually and mentally, and no call for her help of any kind was refused, no opportunity of work which came her way was passed by if only she had the time to give. The only thing which limited her energies in her missionary activities was time. Of her own comfort and ease she never thought at all. A weary body and aching head were ignored, aye, and many a time, it seemed to us that the necessary rest and sleep and food were put aside that she might respond to some call. Whether in her active days in Chinchow or in the days of enforced retirement in far North Kuyushu, she had one aim in life -- that she might by every means in her power, makes known amongst the heathen the unsearchable riches of Christ. How she fulfilled her aim is realised by hundreds of Chinese men, women, and children to whom she manifested her Master in such a way that He is now their Saviour and Master, also -- He whose example of unwearying service and sacrifice she so vividly visualised. To her colleagues, to know her was an inspiration; her friendship was one of the most sacred and uplifting forces in their lives. Only nine years, and yet, if measured by her thought, her prayers, and the outpourings of her heart of sympathy and love for her Chinese friends, the time was long. Perhaps the grandest achievement as well as the greatest trial in her life came through the necessary giving up of her medical work, and almost all other activities, in the hope that by so doing she should one day regain the strength she had sacrificed. It was unutterably hard to see the immeasurable need all around and to lie by with folded hands. She thought she did nothing those years. We who looked on saw the power of her prayers and influence, and heard of growth here, developments there, and we knew something of the mighty force for righteousness that emanated from the quiet manse of Kuyushu through all that wide district. We talk much of heroism these days. Did she not show heroism, separated by hundreds of miles from the nearest woman of her own nationality, sometimes quite alone while her husband went on his necessary itinerations -- alone except for Chinese, who, dear though they were to her, could not be as near and dear as those of her own homeland -- alone and ill? Never a word of grumbling nor of complaint. Once, in a letter, were these words -- "It is not always easy to be bright and patient, but I know that this illness, and being, kept back from all the work I want to do, has been worth while. One day I'll be able to help the Chinese so much better for having learned so much of God and His plans these quiet months." God saw that she would gain her heart's desire for them better by death; and so He has taken her. Now that she has gone there is no foreign lady in all that district of Kuyushu! How the Chinese women loved her, how they appreciated everything she did for them, and how they responded to every impulse to goodness which came through her. Their love and their trust are waiting for some one's direction.



Much regret is being felt in Markethill and district, on account of the death of Mr. Wm. Corkey, brother of the late Rev. Dr. Corkey, of Glendermott, which took place on Saturday, 24th ult. He was a prominent business man, who took a very active interest in the well-being of the community. For many years he had been unanimously reelected as deputy vice-chairman of the Armagh Board of Guardians, and was one oi the oldest members of the District Council. He took a keen interest in the work of the School Attendance' Committee, of which he was vice-chairman. At the inception of the local Unionist club he was elected president, and has been re-elected unanimously every year since. Throughout his whole life he has shown uncompromising loyalty to the Unionist cause.

At the funeral service, which was held in Second Markethill Presbyterian Church, Rev. W. J. M'Connell, B.A., paid an eloquent tribute to the work of deceased as an earnest Christian man and a faithful church member; one whose life was a practical illustration of the words, "In quietness and confidence shall be your strength." Reference having been made to his civic positions and civic virtues, an account was given of the various offices that he held in the congregation. He had been elder during all the time he had been associated with the church, a period of forty-two years. For much, of this time be had been clerk of session, as well as general secretary and treasurer for the congregation. He had also been an able Sabbath-school teacher, and in later years superintendent. Special emphasis was laid on the sacrifices he had made on behalf of temperance and his devotion to the cause. A tender reference was made to his virtues as a father and a friend, and heartfelt sympathy was expressed with his sole surviving daughter and other relatives. The following ministers also took part ir the Service -- Rev. Robert Corkey, Ph.D.; Rev. H. H. Moore, M.A.; Rev. David Corkey, B.A.; and Rev. John Corkey, B.A.; Rev. Robert Maclean, M.A., offered up prayer at the graveside. A most representative gathering assembled at the funeral to show their respect and esteem for deceased, a number having come from a great distance. The coffin was borne from the home and into and from the church by deceased's ministerial nephews and members of the session and committee of Second Markethill congregation.



The death of Mrs. Kane, of Ballyhenry House, Myroe, has occasioned widespread sorrow. The deceased, who was a lady of many estimable qualities, only survived her husband, the late Mr. Jamas Kane, a little over four months. She was amongst the foremost in the advancements of all Church objects, and particularly was she active in furthering mission schemes associated with the Presbyterian Church in Myroe. Friends from far and mar journeyed on Friday to the funeral tot pay their last mark of respect to the memory of one who had endeared her-self to everybody in the district with whom she came into contact, and there were many manifestations of sorrow. The service at the house was conducted by the deceased's uncle, Rev. H. M. Butler, Magilligan, assisted by Rev. Samuel Huston, of Myroe. The silver mounted oak casket was then carried in relays of relatives down the avenue to the main road, and conveyed by hearse to the family burying-ground at Magilligan.

At the graveside Rev. J. E. Ferguson, of First Randalstown, delivered a very touching address, in the course of which he dwelt on the Christian life of the deceased and her work for the Church she loved so well. Beautiful floral tributes were laid on the grave. The chief mourners were -- Rev. George Kane and Mr. William Kane (sons), Messrs. Thomas Henderson and Francis Henderson (brothers), Messrs. Jas. Carson, Joseph Whyte, and Jacob Whyte (sons-in-law), Rev. H. M. Butler (uncle), Mr. Frank H. Mitchell (nephew), Masters Joseph N. Whyte, James P. Carson, Wm. H. Carson, and John T. Carson (grand-children), Rev. H. F. Kirker; Messrs. Samuel Carson, Thos. Carson, and George Carson (cousins).



The death occurred at Birmingham on Sunday of Lord Justice Moriarty, His Lordship, who was in his sixtieth year, was on the Connaught circuit during the Assizes in March, and subsequently proceeded to Droitwich for the benefit of his health. His condition became serious on Monday, the 5th ult., and he was removed to a nursing home at Edgbaston, Birmingham, where, after an operation for an internal complaint, double pneumonia set in, and he passed away as stated.



At a meeting of First Bangor Presbyterian congregation, held in the church on Monday evening, it was unanimously agreed to present a call to the pastorate of the congregation to the Rev. W. J. Currie, B.A., now of Stranraer, and formerly of Berry Street Presbyterian Church, Belfast, in succession to the Rev. John Waddell, B.A., who recently accepted a call to Egremont, Liverpool.



Among those who were wounded in the great battle north of Ypres was Mr. Arthur Allison, son of the Rev. Robert Allison, B.A., Kilbride. Young Mr. Allison studied for several years at Campbell College, and afterwards served his time to the building trade with Messrs. M'Laughlin & Harvey. He went to Canada about three years ago, and at the outbreak of the war gave up a good situation in Winnipeg to respond to the call for men. He joined the Royal Engineers, and was soon promoted to corporal. He was with the 3rd Brigade of the Canadians at St. Julien, when the French on their left were forced to retreat, and he was shot when bringing in two wounded men under severe fire. Corporal Allison was wounded by rifle fire, the bullet passing clean through the body and injuring the lung. He is now in hospital at Bristol, and hopes to be able to return to help his comrades after a few weeks' rest. He relates that the Canadians fought with great determination, and he heard an old Canadian canon, who was going into action in the front line, saying, 'Boys, this is the biggest night Canada has ever known."



The death occurred on Saturday at his mother's residence, Parkgate, Templepatrick, of Dr. Alexander M'Kinney Minford, R.A.M.C., which took place on Saturday evening last. Deceased had received a commission in the Royal Army Medical Corps, and was about to take up duty when he was attacked by the illness which in spite of this skill and care of Dr. Orr (with whom Dr. M'Ilwaine, of Belfast, was called in consultation), has now ended fatally. Dr. Minford, who was the sixth surviving son of the late Mr. Hugh J. Minford, of Parkgate. was only thirty-one years of age. He was educated at the Belfast Academy and subsequently at Edinburgh University, where he took his medical degrees after a brilliant and successful career as a student. He was a young man of exceedingly fine physique, and an enthusiastic and prominent athlete. A member for several seasons of the University Rugby team, he also distinguished himself on the track. After qualifying as a doctor he went several voyages to the East Indies as ship's surgeon in the service of one of the principal steamship lines trading to the East. Subsequently he was appointed resident medical officer at Wadsley -- the principal lunatic asylum for the city of Sheffield. Deceased, who was unmarried, was a most promising young doctor and a man of exceedingly amiable character, and his untimely death will cause sincere sorrow among a large circle of friends on both sides of the Channel. Two of his brothers, Dr. William Minford, of York Street, Belfast, and Rev. J. Y. Minford, of Joymount, Carrickfergus, are well known, and there are six other brothers and three sisters. With his mother and relatives sincere sympathy will be felt.

The remains were removed on Wednesday for interment in the family burying-ground at Donegore. Prior to the removal of the remains a short funeral service was conducted in the house by the Rev. Alexander M'Kinney, and the Rev. David Stewart officiated at the graveside. The chief mourners were -- Rev. J. Y. Minford, Robert Minford, Dr. William Minford, James Minford, Hugh Minford, George Minford, Jackson B. Minford, and Thomas F. Minford (brothers); J. Y. Minford, Robert Minford, John Y. Agnew, William Agnew, John Gray, Hugh Gray, and Robert Gray (cousins); J. J. Baird, Hugh Baird, James M'Ilhagga, Nat. M'Ilhagga, and Robert Boyd (relatives).



On Sunday last the remains of Mrs. S. J. Burns, Newtownhamilton, were interred in the family burying-ground attached to the Second Newtownhamilton Presbyterian Church. The deceased lady was the wife of Mr. Alex. Burns, Newtownhamilton; daughter of the late Mr. John Hamilton, Wellington, New Zealand, and niece of the late Rev. John Rainey, Presbyterian minister, Killucan, Co. Westmeath. Her death was the culmination of an extended illness, which was borne with Christian resignation, and it is deeply regretted in the town and neighbourhood. Much sympathy is felt for her husband and daughters and other relatives in their bereavement, and this fact was strikingly evidenced by the large and representative character of the funeral cortege. The Rev. Mr. Newell conducted a short service at deceased's residence, after which a service was held in the church, the choir rendering a number of appropriate Psalms and hymns. The chief mourners were -- Mr. Alexander Burns (husband), Messrs. John R. Burns, James A. Burns, George E. Burns (sons), Misses Lizzie H. Bums, Maggie E. Burns, Sarah E. Bums, Gertrude J. Burns, May D. Burns (daughters), Mr. James Burns (brother-in-law), Mr. Robt. Adair (relative). The following sent wreaths -- "In loving remembrance," from husband and children; "With deepest sympathy," from Mr. Alex, and Mrs. Ardis and family; "In loving memory of aunt," from Margaret Jane Burns (Blackley); "With sincere sympathy," from Mrs. John Cooke and family; "With deepest sympathy," from Mr. and Mrs. W. H. Starr; "With deepest sympathy," from Miss Annie and Maggie Bailie.



On 1st. inst. a large and representative concourse of mourners followed to their last resting-place in the City Cemetery the remains of a venerable and respected citizen of Belfast -- Mr. Robert Culbert, who passed away at his residence, 11, Botanic Avenue, in his 83rd year. For over fifty years the deceased held an important position in the service of Messrs. Lindsay, Thompson, & Co., Ltd , Mulhouse Works. Mr. Cuthbert was a man of wide sympathies and active interests. There were few better versed in Ulster history, and as an archaeologist his knowledge was deep and extensive. He was one of the oldest members of the Naturalist Field Club. As a convinced Unionist, he was a leading member for many years of the Belfast Conservative Association. As a Presbyterian, Mr. Culbert was a ruling elder of May Street Church, one of the original members of the C.P.A., and in his younger days, took a leading part in the formation of the congregation at Maze. Mr. Culbert was prominently identified with the Working Men's Institute, Queen Street, in days gone by. He married a daughter of the late Mr. Wm. Stevenson, The Park, Dromara, and niece of the Rev. Edward Stevenson, by whom he is survived; also a daughter and two sons -- Rev. T. E. Culbert, B.A., Bovevagh, and Mr. James A. Culbert, solicitor. The Rev. A. J. Wilson, D.D.; the Rev, J. W. Gibson, M.A.; and the Rev. A. M. Rutledge conducted the services at the house and at the graveside. Amongst other floral tributes, very beautiful wreaths were sent by the session of May Street Church, the commander and officers of South Belfast Regiment U.V.F., and the South Belfast Unionist Association.


^ top of page

The Witness -- Friday, 14 May, 1915


IRWIN -- May 12, 1915, at Belwin, Knutsford Drive, Belfast, to Mr. and Mrs. James Irwin -- a son.


POLLOCK -- May 6, 1915, at his residence, 82, Main Street, Cavan, Thomas Pollock, J.P., aged 50 years. Interred in New Cemetery, on Saturday, 8th May.
"Yea, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I will fear no evil, for Thou art with me."

ANDERSON -- May 7, J. S. Anderson, J.P., Spring Gardens, Coleraine, aged 81 years.

BARCLAY -- May 6, at 13, Dromara Street, John, eldest son of William Barclay.

BROWN -- May 6, at Ballinaloob, Samuel Brown.

BROWN -- May 8, at Glendore, Crawfordsburn, Robert Brown, Landsteward, husband of Jane Brown.

CHAMBERS -- May 9, at Oakleigh, 14, Cyprus Avenue, Belfast, Jessie Wilson, wife of John Chambers.

CORBITT -- May 10, at Kilmakee, Templepatrick, Jennie, wife of Thomas Corbitt.

DAWSON -- May 10, at 6, Castle Street, Newtownards, Thomas, son of the late Samuel Dawson.

DUFFIN -- May 9, at Danesfort, Belfast, Charles Duffin, aged 64 years, son of the late Charles Duffin, of Strandtown Lodge, Belfast.

EDMONDS -- May 10, at Scotch Quarter, Carrickfergus, Elizabeth, relict of the late James Edmonds.

FORSYTHE -- May 10, at Caldhame, Ballyclare Arthur Forsythe, husband of Agnes Forsythe.

GREENWAY -- May 6, at Newcastle, Francis, husband of Emily Greenaway.

KING -- May 5, at her residence, 1, Sydney Street West, Belfast, Mary, the wife of the late Robert King. JOHN KING.

MILLIKEN -- May 9, at Ulster Hotel, Regent St., Newtownards, John Milliken.

M'CANDLESS -- May 6, at Saltersland Manse, Ella Derby, the beloved wife of the Rev. Thomas M'Candless, and only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James Ferguson, Ballinagarve House, Magherafelt.

M'FERRAN -- May 9, at 3, Victoria Road, Bangor, Robert, husband of Margaret M'Ferran.

M'GOWAN -- May 5, at Portobello, Scotland, William M'Gowan, late 1st class H.M.'s Customs, Belfast, aged 58.

M'ROBERT -- May 7, at Rademon Cottage, Crossgar, James, son of the late William M'Robert.

M'SPADDEN -- May 7, at 18, Westminster Street, Thomas M'Spadden.

PARK -- May 9, at Legaloy, Ballynure, James Park, husband of Annie Park.

PARKE -- April 25, at Lake St. Joseph, Quebec, Bessie, widow of William S. Parke, and sister of the late Rev. J. N. Harkness, Stewartstown, aged 83 years.

PATTERSON -- May 11, at 36, Rosevale Street, Belfast, Sarah J. (Jean), wife of Samuel G. Patterson.

PORTER -- May 6, at Jerrettspass, James Porter.

Ramsey -- May 12, at Parkgate, Bushmills, Thomas Ramsey (formerly of Carnkirk), aged 64 years.

TURTLE -- May 6, Emily Jane, wife of James Gibson Turtle, Claremont, Strandtown.

WALKER -- May 6, at Brookhill Cottage, Springfield Avenue, Bangor, Ellen, wife of Isaac Walker.

WALSH -- May 9, at The Hospital, Dublin Road, Lisburn, William E., son of William Edward Walsh.

WEIR -- April 5, at Kuyushu, Manchuria, Mary Evelyn (Eva), wife of Rev. A. Weir, Irish Presbyterian Mission, and daughter of Mr. J. Simms, Banbridge.

WOOD -- May 10, at the residence of her parents, Mount Salem, Dundonald, County Down, Nannie, the only and beloved daughter of James and Sarah Wood.



Election of Eleven Pupils

Dublin, Tuesday. -- To-day the result of the half-yearly elections was declared, the following eleven candidates being elected --

Claude Tyrrell (4,656 votes), son of the late Br. John J. Tyrrell, master mariner, Lodge 877, Arklow.

John A. Dawson (4,375), son of the late Br. William Dawson, veterinary surgeon, Lodge 90, Cavan.

Thomas C. Turner (4,367), son of the late Br. Thomas Turner, clerk of the Clogher Union, Lodge 230, Aughnacloy.

Alexander B. Wright (4,277), son of the late Br. Alexander Wright, hairdresser, Lodge 811, Lisburn.

Robert Farr (4,172), son of the late Br. Robert Farr, organist, Lodge 697, Warrenpoint.

John A. Godfrey (3,975), son of the late Br. Joseph Godfrey, commercial traveller, Lodge 120, Dublin.

John W. Davidson (3,888), son of the late Br. John Davidson, merchant tailor, Lodge 120, Dublin.

Edward N. Farmer (3,442), son of the late Br. Edward J. Farmer, physician, Lodge 116, Carlow.

William Shaw (3,409), son of the late Bro. Joseph H. Shaw, solicitor, Lodge 301, Ballynahinch.

Wilfred J. Hogg (3,308), son of the late Br. William J. Hogg, dentist, Lodge 274, Belfast.

Arthur S. Hudson (2,616), son of the late Br. Samuel Hudson, clerk, Lodge 126, Dublin.

There were seventeen candidates.



On Friday, 30th April, there passed away in the person of Miss Elizabeth Lytle, an old and much esteemed resident of Draperstown. For a considerable period she had acted as assistant post-mistress in the village, and on her retirement into private life she was followed with the best wishes of the community which she so faithfully served. She bore with great patience a long and trying illness, during which she was lovingly tended by Miss Nicholl and Miss E. Taylor, Draperstown. Till her last illness she was a constant worshipper in the local Presbyterian church, and at the morning service on Sabbath, the Rev. C. C. M. Dickey feelingly referred to the great loss the congregation had sustained, and spoke of her as a beloved member, a devoted Sabbath-school teacher, and a most generous contributor to all the funds of the church. Her remains were interred on the following Monday in the family burying-ground at Magherafelt, the chief mourners being -- Messrs. Adam Lytle, Belfast (brother); Joseph Lytle, Liverpool (nephew); Job Hutchinson, Draperstown, and John Shiels, Magherafelt. Brief services were conducted in the house and at the graveside by the Rev C. C. M. Dickey.



On Saturday afternoon the remains of Mr. James Porter, Jerrettspass, were interred in the family burying-ground in connection with the local Presbyterian Church. The deceased was a well-known and much-esteemed merchant and farmer, and his demise in the prime of life, after an illness of several months' duration, has evoked great sympathy for his widow and family. The attendance of the public on Saturday evening was exceedingly large and representative of all classes in the community. The service in the house was conducted by Rev. James Mulligan, B.A., and in the church by Rev. A. F. Hamilton, B.A., and Rev. J. Mulligan, who gave a suitable address. The chief mourners were -- Master James Gordon Porter (son), Thomas R. Porter and W. J. Porter (brothers), David Gordon (father-in-law), Gilbert Marshall (brother-in-law), Henry Reside, Albert Malcolmson (Lurgan), H. A. Porter (Belfast), W. J. Porter, Robert Gordon, Hugh Gordon, John A. Porter (The Ford), W. J. Porter (Kilrea), Harry Porter, Joseph Ferris, James Irwin, and Jack Best. The clergy present included Revs. A. F. Hamilton, B.A.; J. Mulligan, B.A.; E. A. Nelson, M.A. (vicar of Drumbanagher), and P. M'Conville, P.P. (Glenn). The wreaths included the following -- "With deepest love and sorrow," from his widow and family; "With deepest sorrow," from Mr. and Mrs. Reside and May; "In ever loving memory," from Sadie, Ella, and May; "In loving remembrance," from Lillie and Albert Malcolmson; "In loving memory," from Mrs. Porter, Minnie, and Hettie; "In loving sympathy," from Mrs. M'Crum; "With love and sympathy," from Mrs. Harden, Esma, and Toby, Kilbodagh House.



At the morning service in New Row Presbyterian Church, Coleraine, referring to the death of Mr. Anderson, Rev. W. A. Wilson, M.A., said -- Not for a long time has New Row congregation lost a better friend than Mr. James Shaw Anderson. It is fifty year's since he settled in Coleraine, and he and Mrs. Anderson, from the first flung themselves whole-heartedly into the life and work of this congregation. The people were quick to recognise the sincerity and worth of his services; soon he was chosen to the committee, and ultimately he was elected to the kirk session; and it was to the deep regret, I know, of the minister and of his colleagues and the people that he finally resigned the eldership. There were few departments of our church activity in which he did not make his energy felt. We all know the enthusiastic interest that he, and, after him, his gifted eldest son, took in the musical portion of our service. It was he and Mrs. Anderson who conceived and carried out the establishment of a provident fund for the benefit of our poorer children. For half a century he and his sons have been without a break directly concerned with the management of our prosperous morning Sabbath-school During the thirty years of my honoured predecessor's ministry in this place every forward movement found in Mr. Anderson a wise and warm friend, open of heart and open of hand. Life brought him its inevitable tests. The loss of Mrs. Anderson fourteen years ago left a lasting shadow on his happy home; the tragic death of his precious little grandchild one summer evening four years ago in Portrush; the illness and death, of his eldest son, so beloved by his father, so beloved by us all -- these were blows that brought grief and pain. Yet not one word of complaint ever crossed his lips. He bowed his head without a murmur to God's will, and if his thoughts turned often to the past, they could also turn with confidence to the future, and he could look forward to the renewal of old and dear friendships and to higher and holier service in a better world. Last Friday morning he passed quietly away I cannot but think it was the death he would have chosen. No lingering illness was his; beyond that his eyes had grown somewhat dim he was in the fullest possession of every faculty. He had passed the four score years, and his long day's toil was done, and his best life, first and last, was the life that was hid with Christ in God. And while we tender to every member of his family our respectful sympathy, we give thanks for God's gift of a long and useful and honoured life.



A Good Friend of Ulster.

It is officially announced that Lieutenant-Colonel Jas. Clark, K.C., C.B., D.L., of Edinburgh, a brother of Mr. George S. Clark, D.L., Dunlambert, Fortwilliam Park, Belfast (Messrs, Workman, Clark, & Co., Ltd.), was killed in action. The deceased, who was fifty-six years of age, was a son of the late Mr James Clark, Paisley, a member of the great firm of thread makers. He was in Sutherland Highlanders, and was closely connected with Ulster both by marriage and sympathy. He married in 1889 Norah Kathleen, daughter of the late Mr. Stewart Clark, of Dundas Castle, Linlithgowshire, and of Larne. He was also a cousin of Lady Dixon, wife of Sir Thomas Dixon, of Hillsborough Castle, with whom he stayed on the occasion of his last visit to Ireland. The deceased officer was a very strong Unionist in politics, and as an eloquent and effective speaker he proved an able champion of Ulster in her opposition to Home Rule. He was greatly interested in the Ulster Volunteer Force, and frequently visited Belfast to witness parades and reviews of the U.V.F., and on more than one occasion he was a spectator as a soldier and a keen critic at their private drills. The deceased's advocacy of Ulster's cause was also promulgated through other channels. He was a leading elder of St. George's Parish Church, Edinburgh, was a prominent figure on the floor of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland, and was President of the Knox Club. He was a deputy to the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church in Ireland in 1907 and 1904. He was also present at the Presbyterian Convention held in Belfast on 1st February, 1912, and spoke at the meeting in the Assembly Hall. It will be remembered that at the General Assembly held in Belfast in June last year Mr. Clark formed one of a deputation appointed by the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland to convey a message of sympathy with the Ulster people in their fight against Home Rule, and on that occasion he delivered a very effective speech.


^ top of page

The Witness - Friday, 21 May, 1915


DE VERS -- May 16, at Winnipeg, Canada, to Mr. and Mrs. H. V. De Vers -- a son. (By cable.)

YOUNG -- May 14, 1915, at The Manse, Newtownards, to Rev. J. A. F. and Mrs. Young -- a daughter.


BOYD -- May 25, 1915 (suddenly), at Roxburgh, Cardigan Drive, Cliftonville, David Millar Boyd, second son of the late John Boyd, Dungannon. Funeral to-morrow (Saturday) morning, at nine o'clock, to Dundonald. No flowers.

HAMILTON -- May 14, 1915, at a Private Nursing Home, Harriet Hamilton, 54, Kansas Avenue, Belfast, youngest daughter of the late Andrew Hamilton, M.D., Londonderry. Funeral private.

MARTIN -- With the 1st Royal Irish Rifles (killed in action on Sunday, the 9th of May, 1915), Lieutenant J. S. Martin, of the 5th Royal Irish Rifles, only son of R. T. Martin, College Gardens, Belfast. Born 18th May, 1896.

BERRY -- May 17, at Millisle Road, Donaghadee, Robert Berry.

BURTON -- At Wing, Rutland, Marion Agnes, wife of Brigadier-General St. George Burton, and second daughter of late Frederick Kinahan, Low Wood.

COOTE -- March 17, at Kalgoorlie, West Australia, James, fifth son of the late William Coote, Canne, Ballyjamesduff. "He giveth His beloved sleep."

CROMIE -- May 9, at Ballyaughlan, Hilltown, Sara, beloved wife of David Cromie, and second daughter of the late Thomas Magill, aged 47 years.

CROOKS -- May 17, at Gortanewry, Moneymore, James Crooks, late of Claggan.

CRUICKSHANK -- May 8, at his residence, Lisball, Bailieborough, James Cruikshank, aged 81 years. Deeply regretted.

DUNNING -- May 19, at Thompson Memorial Home, Lisburn, Esther Dunning, late of Portaferry.

ERVINE -- May 18, at Shamrock Villa, Bloomfield, Rev. James Ervine, retired Congregational Minister.

GILMER -- May 15, at Rosemount, Dunmurry, Rachel, relict of the late John Gilmer, Belfast.

HARBINSON -- May 14, at Tullyquilly, Redbridge, Rathfriland, Alexander, eldest son of the late William Harbinson.

HENDERSON -- May 17, at 24, Stanley Terrace, Lisburn Road, Margaret Henderson.

KELLY -- May 20, 1915, at his residence, Broomhall, Andersonstown, George Kelly (Garfield Street). R.I.P. Deeply regretted by his sorrowing family.

LOUGHLIN -- May 17, at Dechomet, Ballyward, James Loughlin.

MACCOUN -- May 15, at Wood's Hole, Mass., U.S.A., Mary, wife of William Ellicott Maccoun, U.S. Navy, and daughter of the late John Maccoun, J.P., Kilmore House, Lurgan.

MAGEE -- May 13, at Main Street, Ballyclare, Francis Magee.

MAYNE -- May 16, at 111, Aughentochan Terrace, Springburn, Glasgow, Annie Boyd, relict of the late Arthur Mayne, Portrush.

MOORE -- May 13, at The Hill, Ballyblack William Moore.

MOORE -- May 19, at Umgall, Templepatrick, John Moore.

MORIARTY -- May 19, Thomas Moriarty, J.P., of Ardnamoua, Fortwilliam Park, Belfast, and Abbeytown, Roscommon, late Commissioner of Police, Belfast.

PATTERSON -- May 18, at The Course, Downpatrick, Anne Jane (Cissie) Patterson.

PINKERTON -- Lost, in the Lusitania disaster, Robert, son of the late Robert Pinkerton, Belfast.

ROBB -- May 18, at Roburn, Balmoral, Jane, wife of Samuel Robb.

THOMPSON -- May 18, at Killultagh, Upper Ballinderry, Margaret, relict of the late Samuel Thompson.

WILLIAMS -- May 17, at Ballymagroarty, Londonderry, Thomas Williams, ex-Head-Constable, R.I.C.

WILSON -- May 15, at Moira, Mary Anne, widow of the late Joseph Wilson.

WILSON -- May 19, at 33, Ulsterville Avenue, John, husband of Annie Wilson.

YOUNG -- May 15, at Fountain Street, Antrim, Isabella, widow of the late Campbell Young.

Death (page 5)

M'CARTER -- May 17, 1915, at the residence of her brother, Tully House, Londonderry, Joannie, third daughter of the late George M'Carter, Esq., Ardvilla, Victoria Park, Londonderry, and niece of the late William M'Carter, Esq., J.P. Funeral private.





The official lists of casualties issued by the War Office contain the names of many officers connected with Belfast and the North of Ireland either by birth or regimental association. The following are included --


Lt.-Col. W. L. Maxwell, Royal Naval Division.
Brevet-Major A. H. Testing, Royal Irish Rifles.
Capt. A. M. O'Sullivan, Royal Irish Rifles.
Lieut. R. A. Finlay, Royal Irish Rifles.
Lieut. R. L. Neill, Royal Irish Rifles.
Lieut. J. S. Martin, Royal Irish Rifles.
Lieut. C. E. R. Pottinger, Royal Engineers.
Second-Lieut. A. W. Bourke, Royal Irish Rifles.
Second-Lieut. C. G. Dixon, attached R.I.R.
Second-Lieut. A. Helmers, Royal Irish Rifles.
Sec.-Lt. A. M'Laughlin, Royal Irish Rifles.

In addition to the foregoing notification has been received of the deaths of the following--

Lieut. A. B. Cramsie, Northumberland Fus.
Lieut. R. Duncan, Royal Naval Volunteer Res.
Sec.Lt. J. N. N. Murphy, Royal Dublin Fus.


Lieut.-Col. O. S. Baker, Royal Irish Rifles.
Capt. John Blakiston-Houston, 11th Hussars.
Capt. J. G. Dill, Brigade-Major, 25th Brigade.
Capt. the Hon. B. J. Russell, R.F. Artillery.
Captain C. J. Newport, Royal Irish Rifles.
Lieut. G. M. La Nauxe, Royal Irish Rifles.
Lieut. J. E. Bruce Miller, Royal Irish Rifles.
Sec.-Lieut. G. H. Coey, Royal Irish Rifles.
Sec.-Lieut, G. M. Mew, Royal Irish Rifles.


Sec.-Lieut. C. G. Windus, Royal Irish Rifles.


Captain the Honourable Eric Edward Montagu John Upton, elder son and heir of Viscount Templetown, D.L., was killed in action last Sunday while serving at the front with the King's Royal Rifle Corps. The deceased officer, who gave promise of a brilliant career in the service, had seen a good deal of hard fighting during the present war, and was wounded early in October, resuming duty with his regiment as soon as he had recovered from the effects of the injury. He was a member of the Marlborough Club. His mother, Viscountess Templeton, is Lady Georgina Finch-Hatton, daughter of the ninth Earl of Winchilsea and Nottingham. Viscount Templetown is the fourth Ulster peer to lose his heir in the European war, the other noblemen who have suffered similar bereavement being -- Lord O'Neill, whose elder son, Captain the Honourable Arthur O'Neill, M.P., 2nd Life Guards, was killed in action on 4th November last; Lord Dunleath, whose eldest son, Captain tho Honourable , Andrew Mulholland, Irish Guards, was killed . in action on 1st November; and the Earl of Ranfurly, whose only son, Viscount Northland, Coldstream Guards, was killed in action early in February.

Brigadier-General Arthur Willougby Geo. Lowry Cole, C.B., D.S.O., whose death from wounds is reported, is a distinguished member of the Fermanagh family of which the Earl of Enniskillen, K.P., is the head. The deceased officer was bourn on 29th November, 1860, and entered the army in his 20th year. In 1912 he was appointed Brigadier-General in charge of administration, Northern command, the headquarters of which are at York. Most of his service was spent in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers and the North Nigeria Regiment. He accompanied the Burmese Expedition of 1885-7, was in North Nigeria from 1893 till 1900, and was severely wounded during the operations there. During the time he was employed in West Africa he took part in the Munshi and Kadana expeditions, as well as in the operations against the Chief of Tawari. Brigadier-General Cole also served in the South African war, first in command of a depot battalion at Green Point, then in command of the 17th Mounted Infantry Mixed Column, and finally as commandant in the Vryburg sub-district. He was mentioned in despatches, appointed a Companion of the Distinguished Service Order, and awarded the Queen's medal with five bars. He commanded the Hadeija expedition in 1906, and in addition to obtaining another clasp to tho West African medal, was appointed a Companion of the Bath.

The family of Lord de Freyne have been officially informed of the deaths in Flanders of Lord de Freyne and of his sixth brother, the Hon. George Philip French. It is believed that the two brothers, who were both serving with the South Wales Borderers, were killed in the same action. The utmost sympathy. will be felt throughout Ireland with Marie Lady de Freyne and her family in this double and tragic blow. No family in the Kingdom has given finer or more loyal service to the country since the beginning of the war. Of the fourth Lord de Freyne's nine sons, six, including the two who have now fallen, have been with the colours in the present war. Two of Marie Lady de Freyne's three daughters are now serving as nurses in France. The British Commander-in-Chief is, of course, connected with the family of de Freyne.

The death in action on the 9th inst. is announced of Second-Lieutenant O. B. Macausland, of the 4th Battalion Royal Irish Rifles (Royal North Downs), who was serving at the front with the 1st Battalion. The deceased, who was only 19 years of age, was the younger son of Lieutenant-Colonel R. C. S. Macausland, J.P., and Mrs. Macausland, of Woodbank House, Garvagh. He obtained a commission on 8th. August last, when he was placed on the unattached list of the Indian Army, in which his father has a distinguished record of service. He was subsequently posted, to the 4th Battalion Royal Irish Rifles, and for a time was employed in connection with the Belfast defences, going to the front to join the 1st Battalion on 16th March. His elder brother, Lieutenant R. A. Macausland, is at the front with the 45th Rattray's Sikhs, in which he is a double company officer.

Second-Lieutenant Arthur M'Laughlin is third son of Mr. W. H. M'Laughlin, D.L., J.P., Maceden, Whitehouse, the head of the well-known building firm of M'Laughlin & Harvey, Ltd., York Road.

Lieutenant J. S. Martin, Royal Irish Rifles, who was reported last week to have been wounded, was killed in action, on Sunday last. He was a son of Mr. R. T. Martin, solicitor, of Wellington Place, and College Gardens, and member of the governing body of Queen's University. Lieutenant Martin received his commission in August, and proceeded from Belfast to the front.

Lieutenant Robert Larmour Neill, son of Mr. Sharman D. Neill, the well-known jeweller, of Donegall Place, Belfast, was killed in action. Lieutenant Neill, who was only twenty-one years of age, was partly educated at Campbell College, completing his education in Switzerland. Whilst at Campbell College he was a member of the Officers' Training Corps, and he was also connected with the Holywood Battalion U.V.F. At the outbreak of the war he obtained a commission in the 5th Battalion Royal Irish Rifles, and on March 22nd he took out a draft of the Berkshire Regiment to France, being himself attached to the 1st Battalion of the Rifles. The deceased officer was an enthusiastic yachtsman, being a prominent member of the Royal North of Ireland Yacht Club. He was also a promising golfer, being connected with the Holywood Club.

News has bean received that Lieutenant Burke, 3rd Royal Irish Rifles, the only son of Mr. Charles E. Bourke, a prominent Belfast Methodist and well-known Newtownards Road draper, was killed in action on Sunday week. The deceased officer, who joined the Rifles shortly after the commencement of the war, subsequently went to the front, and it is presumed that it was in the same action which cost Lieutenants M'Laughlin, Martin, and Neill their lives that, he was fatally wounded.

Mr. C. R. Faussett, the well-known Irish cricketer and athlete, has been killed in action. He was Second-Lieutenant in the 3rd Battalion Royal Irish Regiment.

The death of Second-Lieutenant A. J. R. Anderson, of the Royal Irish Regiment, in action at Le Pelly on 20th October last, was unofficially reported in the casualty lists this week. His father, Mr. R. A. Anderson, secretary of the Irish Agricultural Organisation Society, has received the following gracious message of sympathy by telegram from their Majesties -- "Buckingham Palace -- To. R. A. Anderson, Esq., 84. Merrion Square, Dublin. -- The King and Queen are deeply grieved to hear of the reported loss of yet another of your sons in the service of his country. Their Majesties offer you their heartfelt sympathy in your flesh sorrow. -- Private Secretary."

Lieutenant Charles Evan Roderick Pottinger, Royal Engineers, a member of an old and distinguished Belfast family, died on 10th inst. at Rouen from wounds received at Ypres on the 5th inst. His grandfather was the late Major-General Pottinger, Royal Artillery, C.B., of Mountpottinger, Belfast, whose uncles were Eldred Pottinger, well known for his defence of Herat against the Persians in 1837, and Sir Henry Pottinger, Bart., G.C.B., P.C., who concluded the peace with China in 1842, and was the first British Governor of Hong Kong. He was mentioned in Sir John French's despatch of 20th November, and was awarded the Military Cross on 18th February.

Second-Lieutenant Ninian Mark Kerr Bertie, of the 4th Battalion King's Royal Rifle Corps, has been killed in action. He was the youngest eon of the Hon. and Rev. Alboric Edward Bertie, M.A., rector of Gedling, Notts, and of Lady Caroline Elizabeth M'Donnell, sister of the Earl of Antrim; nephew of the Earl of Abingdon and Sir Francis Leveson Bertie, G.C.B., British Ambassador in Paris, and grandson of Major Macan, of Cariff, County Armagh.

Captain John Blakiston-Houston, 11th Hussars, who has been wounded, is the youngest son of Mr. J. Blakiston-Houston, D.L., of Orangefield, He served in the South African war, and received the Queen's medal with five clasps. His brother, Captain James Edward Blakiston-Houston, is at the front with the 8th Hussars, and another brother, Captain. Charles Blakiston-Houston, is with the Army Service Corps, Ulster Division.

Mr. Edward Coey, J.P., Merville, Whitehouse, has been notified by the War Office that his third son, Second-Lieutenant George Coey, attached to the 1st Battalion Royal Irish Rifles, has been wounded in action. It will be remembered that Mr. Coey's youngest son, Midshipman John S. Coey, was lost on H.M.S. Formidable on New Year's Day, and another son is at present serving at the front.

Intimation has been received by his parents in Downpatrick that Lieutenant Bertie Moore, Munster Fusiliers, has been seriously though not dangerously wounded whilst serving at the front. Lieutenant Moore, who is now lying in a London hospital, has been on active service for the past six months. He joined the army from the Cadet Corps of Queen's University, Belfast, and was a well-known international Rugby footballer. He played for Queen's, and was a member of the Downpatrick Cricket Club, and was a fairly good batsman.

Lieutenant J. F. Warren, of the Durhan Light Infantry, son of Rev. Canon H. G. Warren, M.A., rector of Dungiven, County Derry, was wounded recently in the Cameroons, and is stated to be progressing favourably.

Official notification has been received that Second-Lieutenant J. A. Donnelly, Royal Field Artillery, has been missing since Monday week. He is the only son of Mr. Joseph Donnelly, Treasury Solicitor, who for many years was one of the best known solicitors practising in Belfast. Second-Lieutenant Donnelly was well-known in Irish sporting circles, in which he figured prominently as a cricketer and hockey player. There were few more consistent batsmen in the province, and the members of the Ulster Club had often to thank him for paving a way to victory.

Captain Alex. Gallaher, 4th Royal Irish Dragoon Guards, who has been wounded, is a son of Mr. James Gallaher, the well-known grain merchant, and a nephew of Mr. Thos. Gallaher, the tobacco manufacturer. Capt. Gallaher was previously wounded at the battle of Mons, and taken prisoner, but escaped after a thrilling adventure.

Second Lieutenant W. Scott, 3rd Battalion Royal Irish Fusiliers, wounded, is a son of Mr. W. J. Scott, produce broker, Ardlui, Kincora Avenue, Belmont, and is an old Campbell College boy. He went on to Queen's University and there joined the Officers' Training Corps, from which he obtained a commission in the Irish Fusiliers Special Reserve on 15th August. He went to the front four months ago.

Captain John Greer Dill, Brigade-Major of the 25th Brigade, whose name appears amongst the list of wounded, is a son of the late Mr. John Dill, manager of the Donegall Place branch of the Ulster Bank, by his marriage with Miss Greer, of Woodville, Lurgan. He is a second-cousin of Professor Sir Samuel Dill, of the Queen's University of Belfast, and a relative of the late Captain Robert Foster Dill, D.S.G., of the 129th Duke of Connaught's Own Baluchis, who was killed in action on 11th April.

Captain the Honourable Bertrand Joseph Russell, Royal Field Artillery, who has been wounded, is the youngest son of the late Lord Russell of Killowen and of Lady Russell, who is a daughter of the late Dr. J. S. Mulholland, of Belfast.


Private Fred Campbell, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry who, prior to leaving Belfast for Canada, two years ago, was employed at Queen's Island, has been wounded. His parents reside at 39, Rushfield Avenue, Belfast.

Private Gilbert F. T Howe, 10th Battalion Canadian Infantry, who was killed near Ypres, was the eldest son of the late Mr. Thomas S. Howe, Hillsborough, County Down, and Mrs. Howe, 1, Radnor Place, Hyde Park. Mr. Howe wad a sub-agent for the Marquis of Downshire at Hillsborough.

Rev. Dr. S. G. Kennedy, Belfast, has been informed that his son, Private J. Chancellor Kennedy, of the Canadians, has been wounded, and is now in hospital. He gave up a post in the Bank of Commerce to enlist. His brother, Mr. W. Kennedy, is serving with the 14th Battalion Royal Irish Rifles (Young Citizens) at Randalstown.



British Attacked by Natives.

Madrid, Sunday. -- The British oil-tank steamer York has been shipwrecked in a storm off the Moorish Coast. Moors attacked the crew, killing three sailors and severely wounding several others. Eight others fell into the hands of tribesmen. A cruiser will proceed to the scene and treat for the ransom of the prisoners. A second pilot who was on board is missing, and he must also be a prisoner. Three Italian steamers were wrecked in the same region. Spanish warships are helping in the work Of rescue. -- Reuter.



Grandson Killed at the Front.

Amongst the latest casualty returns from the front there is the announcement of the death of Lance-Corporal Alec Bailey, of Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, son of the late Rev. A. T. Bailey, M.A., Carlow, and grandson of Rev. George Magill D.D., senior minister of Cliftonville Presbyterian Church, Belfast. When war was proclaimed Mr. Bailey was in a responsible and lucrative situation in Winnipeg, Canada. As is well known a wave of local enthusiasm swept over the Dominion, and Mr. Bailey, with many personal friends, volunteered as a private in the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry. Though he might have had a commission in another regiment he preferred to serve in the now famous corps. He was sent to the front before Christmas. After being some time in the trenches, enduring the hardships of trench life, he caught enteric, and was sent to hospital. On recovery he was granted a short leave to see his friends in Ireland. He left his grandfather's house about four weeks ago, and returned to duty full of health and hope. News has just arrived that he was killed last week by a shell. Mr. Bailey was a young man of great promise, who has left us enemies or bitter memories behind him. To Dr. Magill -- the highly-respected "father" of the Presbytery of Belfast -- and the other relatives deep sympathy will be extended in their bereavement.




At the annual meeting of the members of the Royal Belfast Academical Institution on Monday -- Mr. R. T. Martin, chairman of the Board of Governor's, presiding,

Sir Samuel Dill said he wished to propose a resolution which he felt sure the members of the Institution and the Board of Governors would expect and would accept with sympathetic feeling. The chairman had in the last few days been bereaved of his only son in battle. On last Saturday he (Sir Samuel) had a message from a staff officer of his brigade conveying to Lieutenant Martin's parents the melancholy news that he had certainly fallen, and the officer said that from full inquiries he was satisfied that he had not fallen alive into the enemy's hands. He added that Lieutenant Martin had shown himself a really good soldier, and that he had fallen leading his company against the first German trenches. Sir Samuel Dill added that anyone who had known the late Lieutenant Martin from boyhood, as he had done, knew that they had lost a pure and innocent character, brave and unselfish, and perfectly fearless, as his end showed, in the face of death. He would only add that any of them would have been glad and proud to have such a son, even if they were fated to lose him. He proposed "That this meeting of members of the Royal Belfast Academical Institution and of the Board of Governors tender their deepest heartfelt sympathy to their chairman and Mrs. Martin in the lamented death in action of their gallant son. Lieutenant J. S. Martin, at the head of his company in the recent great battle in Flanders."

Sir Robert Kennedy, in a few very feeling words, seconded the resolution, which was passed in silence, all the members standing.

The Chairman (Mr. R. T. Martin), in acknowledging the resolution of the Governors, said -- I am deeply grateful to the Governors, and in particular to Sir Samuel Dill and Sir Robert Kennedy, for the resolution of sympathy now adopted. These are not time for private sorrows, and I shall not give expression to any. They are rather times for fortitude and courage to face the momentous issue in which the Empire is engaged. Perhaps, however, you will permit me to say, in reference to my son, that as in his life I had no regrets for any word or deed ever spoken or done so I can surely have none over the manner of his death. But I would have had regrets and disappointment if he had not shewn the spirit to volunteer for service when the war broke out last August. He never hesitated, I am proud to say. He was my only son, full of hope and promise, but I had rather mourn him as I do in a soldier's grave on the battlefield than have had him remain at home fit for military service but declining his duty as a man and a citizen in this mighty conflict. It is in that spirit that his mother and I bid him farewell.


At the conclusion of his sermon in Townsend Street Presbyterian Church on Sunday morning Rev. Wm. Corkey said -- It is impossible for me to close to-day without referring to a sad loss that has befallen one of our homes. Mr. R. T. Martin received a letter yesterday from, the major of the brigade in which his son was serving which leaves no doubt that Lieutenant Jack Martin has been killed in action. It seems that last Sabbath morning his battalion went into action. Lieutenant Martin was in command of a company, and though only twenty years of age was doing the work of a captain. His company was the first to go into action, and he fell while leading his men against the first line of German trenches. All his brother officers who were with him were killed or are missing. The sad news will cause the deepest sorrow throughout our congregation. He was beloved by all who knew him, and he had all the beautiful graces that should adorn the character of a Christian youth. He was deeply interested in our church, and was with us at the Communion service in February. When he was at home he helped in the praise service in the choir. I had a letter from him last week in which, he asked me to thank the ladies of our church for the parcel which they sent to him for the men of his company. I had sent him a little book called "In Touch With God," and he said it brought him comfort and he would read it often and would always think of Townsend Street as he did so. It is hard to think we shall not see his manly form nor look again on that young, handsome face. He died a glorious death. He felt it his duty to offer his services to his country at the outbreak of the war, and now he has fallen bravely when doing his share to keep back the enemy of civilisation, from our homes and our land. "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." He has been promoted on the field of battle to higher service, and we know that with him all is well. Our deepest sympathy is extended to Mr. and Mrs. Martin and the family circle in their sad bereavement.



Sincere regret will be felt amongst a wide circle of friends, and especially amongst the members of the Congregational Church in Ireland, at the announcement of the death of the Rev. James Ervine, which occurred on Tuesday at his residence, Shamrock Villa, Beersbridge Road, Belfast. Although never having a charge in Belfast, the Rev. Mr. Ervine often preached in the city, where his discourses were keenly appreciated. He was an eloquent and earnest preacher, whose sermons were always characterised by deep thought and originality. Born at Ballybrick in 1837, he was educated at Cavendish College, Manchester, and Cheshunt College, Cambridge. He had a very successful collegiate career. His first charge was Dunmow Congregational Church, Essex, in 1867. Several years later he ministered to the people of Wellingborough Church, Northampton, and in 1878 the congregation of the Wycliffe Church, Hull, called him as their pastor. In the year 1881 he accepted the invitation of the Kingstown (County Dublin) Congregational Church, where he remained until 1898, when he retired after a successful and fruitful ministry, extending over a period of thirty years. The deceased clergyman, who evinced considerable interest in the welfare of the Irish Evangelical Society, some time ago published an interesting volume of his reminiscences, which showed decided literary talent. The Rev. Mr. Ervine was a staunch Unionist, and on various occasions he put the case of Ulster before cross-Channel electors in a most convincing fashion. Deep sympathy will be extended to his wife, who is a daughter of the Rev. Wm. Herbert, of Antrim, in her bereavement.



Mr. Thomas M'Aleavy, Rostrevor, one of the stokers on the ill-fated liner Lusitania, is amongst the survivors.

A number of wounded soldiers have arrived at Cushendall Cottage Hospital, which was offered to the War Office and accepted for this purpose by Miss B. MacDonnell.

Lieutenant-Colonel James Jackson Clark has been appointed to be his Majesty's lieutenant of the County of Derry and to be the custos rotulorum of the said county.

At Monday's meeting of Lurgan Urban Council, Mr. John Hopps, of Hill Street, was co-opted a member in the room of the late Dr. J. M. Moore, vice-chairman.

The death of Mr. Thomas O'Kane, solicitor, which took place on Saturday, caused much regret in Londonderry and district. He was a brother of Dr. Michael O'Kane, J.P., City Coroner.

Mr. Robert Sparrow, R.M., is being transferred from County Fermanagh to County Donegal, and his successor will be Mr. Walker, R.M., a son of the late Lord Chancellor.

The Board of Works have again written the Lurgan Town Council expressing regret that they are not in a position to entertain the Council's application for an additional loan of 1,200 for the completion of houses in Wellington Street.

On Monday afternoon, while a boy named Joseph Mulholland, of Nicholson's Court, Newry, aged nine years, was playing on a raft on the canal bank opposite Fisher's timber yard, he accidentally fell into the water and was drowned.

We regret to announce the death of Mr. Luke Cranny, J.P., who passed away on Saturday last at his residence, Ringclare House, Donaghmore, Newry, in the seventieth year of his age. The deceased gentleman in addition to being an extensive and prosperous farmer, was a very large flax buyer.

On Tuesday the May yearly hiring market was held at Monaghan. Very little business was done, as the greater part of the farmers had already secured servants. Wages were ruling high. Ploughmen obtained from 11 to 12; general farm labourers, 8 10s to 9 10s; boys, 5 10s to 7; girls, 5 to 7.

The death is announced of Major James Hamilton, D.L., the senior Grand Juror of County Donegal. Major Hamilton, who had reached the great age of 91 years, lived almost constantly since leaving the Army at Brownhall, Ballintra, and was much respected by all classes. He was a staunch Unionist.

The body of Samuel Wisener, a nailer, who resided at Calmore, between Tobermore and Desertmartin, was found in a field at the Lough Moss at Calmera on Friday morning. At an inquest held by Dr. M'Ivor (Coroner) Dr. M'Gowan stated that death was due to exposure, and the jury returned a verdict in accordance with this testimony.

Wm. Henry Watters, a farmer, aged about 70 years, was found dead in a barn adjoining his house in the townland of Lower Back, about four miles from Stewartstown, on Friday evening. He had been in Stewartstown fair on Wednesday. The deceased was unmarried, and lived alone. The Coroner did not consider an inquest necessary.

On Monday the half-yearly hiring fair was held at Limavady. Best ploughmen, with board and lodgings for the six months, easily obtained from 13 to 15 10s; second class men, 11 to 13; general jobbing men, 9 to 11; strong youths, 9 to 10 10s; byre men, 13s to 15s per week, with potato ground, milk, free house, and other benefits; boys, 6 to 8.

Lieutenant A. S. Gordon-Kidd, son of the late Captain James Indian Army, formerly of Ballymena, recently took up his duties at the front. Mr. Gordon-Kidd left India to coach for the examination for the Indian Police, when on the outbreak of the war he obtained a commission in the Army, and was stationed at Willems Barracks, Aldershot.

Mrs. Mary Foote, of Church Lane, Warrenpoint, has received the sum of 5 left over from a patriotic entertainment held in Warrenpoint last September, which it was decided should be awarded to the first widow in the township caused by the war. Her husband, Bugler Foote, Royal Irish Rifles, was called up on the reserve, and he was killed in action on the 24th March.

At the meeting of Ballymena District Council on Saturday it was reported that mountain belonging to Miss Jane M'Cullough of Ballygelly, in the townland of Ballyligpatrick, had been set on fire. It consisted of from ten to fifteen acres of heather and bog land, and a stack of turf had also been completely destroyed. The owner had lodged a claim for 90 compensation.

Lieutenant-Colonel R. C. S. Macausland, J.P., Woodbank House, Garvagh, has just received notification by telegram that his younger son, Lieutenant Oliver Macausland, Royal Irish Rifles, has been killed in action. Since obtaining his commission a short time ago Lieutenant Macausland was stationed in Belfast with his regiment, the Royal Irish Rifles, whence he proceeded with a detachment to the front.

The death of Mr. Francis Magee, which took place at his residence, Main Street, Ballyclare, on the evening of Thursday week, removes a familiar figure from Ballyclare. The deceased had for many years carried on an extensive business as a merchant tailor. He was a member of the Urban Council for several years, and he was connected with the Orange and Masonic Orders, in which he took a deep interest.

The committee of laymen who are appointed each year by the various Protestant Churches in Downpatrick to make arrangements for the annual united Protestant schools' excursion unanimously decided at their first meeting for the present year, held in the Minor Hall, Downpatrick, that it would be out of place to hold an excursion this year, when the nation is engaged in a life-and-death struggle.

The decision of the Insurance Commissioners has just been received in the appeal of Mrs. Mary A. Carroll, of Pound Cottage, Ballymena, against the decision of the Management Committee of the Down and Connor Catholic Benefit Society refusing to pay such benefit on the ground that her incapacity was due to an accident caused by her own conduct on the 14th July last. The Commission take the view that the Managing Committee were justified in refusing to pay the benefit and dismiss the appeal.


^ top of page

The Witness - Friday, 28 May, 1915


GREER -- May 23, at The Manse, Edenbank, Northland Road, Londonderry, the wife of Rev. J. Carson Greer, M.A., of a son.

THOMPSON -- May 23, 1915, at Terenure, Lisburn, to Mr. and Mrs. Alex. Thompson -- a daughter.


LOUGHLIN -- May 17, 1915, at Deehomet, Banbridge, James Loughlin, R.D.C. Interred at Drumgooland.

M'CORMACK -- May 23, 1915, at his residence, Lisnode, Lisburn, David, the dearly-beloved husband of Agnes M'Cormack. His remains were interred in the family burying-ground, Drumbo. AGNES M'CORMACK.

WILSON -- April 20, 1915, at Wei Hai Wei, Dudley F. Wilson, Medical Missionary Student, in his 20th year, youngest son of Mr. and Mrs. J. Ward Wilson, of Wei Hai Wei, and grandson of the late Mr. Thomas Wilson, Cregagh House, Belfast. "With Christ, which is far better."

BOYD -- May 20, 1915 (suddenly), at Roxburgh, Cardigan Drive, Cliftonville, David Millar Boyd.

BOYD -- May 20, William C. Boyd, of Market Street, Armagh.

BRENNAN -- May 23, at Wepener, Westland Drive, Elizabeth, infant daughter of Thomas Brennan.

CAMPBELL -- May 23, at 11, Market Road, Ballymena, Mary Jane, widow of the late Samuel Campbell, Cabragh, Ballymena.

CARSON -- May 26, at 92, Dunluce Avenue, Belfast, Samuel, husband of Mary Carson.

CHISHOLM -- May 23, at Cloughfern, Whiteabbey, James Chisholm.

COURTNEY -- At 46, Enfield Street, Sarah, wife of John C. Courtney.

CRAWFORD -- May 22, at Ballynacoy, Stoneyford, Margaret Crawford.

DONAGHEY -- May 25, at 6, Fitzwilliam Street, Denis, infant son of Edward Donaghey, aged 3 months.

ELLISON -- April 29, at Berkeley, California, Robert Ferguson, eldest son of the late John Ellison, of Lisburn.

FERGUSON -- May 25, at Ballycastle, Mountstewart, Elizabeth A. Ferguson.

FERGUSON -- May 26, at Ballymenoch, Holywood, Mary Elizabeth, wife of John Ferguson.

GILLILAND -- May 23, at Springfield House, Hillhall, Lisburn, Charles Gilliland.

GORDON -- May 19, at 151, Cliftonville Road, Ruth, relict of the late Hans Gordon.

MAGILL -- May 22, at 16, Beechpark Street, Agnes, relict of the late Crawford Magill, Upper Ballysillan.

MOORE -- May 25, at Heath Hall, Kilkeel, Lucretia Davidson Moore.

M'BRIDE -- May 23, at Sealstown, Mallusk, James A. M'Bride, aged 74 years.

M'CANN -- May 20, at 3, College Park East, Minnie, fourth daughter of the late Thomas M'Cann.

M'COMB -- May 23, at Carmavey, Jane, relict of the late Francis M'Comb.

M'CUTCHESON -- May 24, at Newtownards, Samuel M'Cutcheon.

M'MINN -- May 25, at The Cottage, Donaghadee, in her 87th year, Selina, daughter of the late Alexander M'Minn, J.P., of Herdstown.

SCOTT -- May 20, at Rosville, Ballybay, County Monaghan, Annie, wife of Thomas Scott.

SYMINGTON -- May 24, at his residence, Albert Villas, King's Road, Knock, Samuel, eldest son of the late Samuel Symington, Rockfield, Dundonald, Co. Down.

TEELE -- May 20, at Dunbar, Enniskillen, William Teele, aged 78 years.



Describing the landing in Gallipoli, Press Association War Special message from Cairo says that early on Sunday, April 25th, the transport Clyde, with one company of Dublin Fusiliers, Munster Fusiliers, and some Hants, was run ashore near the beach at Sedd el Bahr. Meanwhile other companies of the Dublins, at a point a little further up, and also Lancashire Fusiliers, were brought along in boats. When the Clyde approached land she was subjected to terrifying fire, but she replied effectively with machine guns. The moment the Clyde grounded shrapnel destroyed one of the gangways, leaving only one for the men to leave the ship by. Directly a man attempted to get on to the gangway he was picked off. Some of the Munsters made a rush for it, and also some of the Dublins, and a few succeeded in gaining the beach. The rest of the party were shot, some on the gangway, some on barges, and some in smaller boats near shore. The fire was kept up throughout Sunday night with the same terrific force, the Turks being well entrenched, protected by three lines of barbed wire about 100 yards away, but by about five in the morning all the troops has left the Clyde.


A Dublin man reached the beach after wading shoulder high in water. He found barges full of dead and wounded. It was, he said, an appalling and sickening sight when morning dawned, but he added that no man hesitated to do his duty. They realised they had sacrificed their lives, and they did so willingly. An opening was found, and, the Turks seeing the absolute determination of the British, retired to safer ground. Then command was given to take the fort, which held about 200 of the enemy with machine guns. Major Grimshaw, of the Dublins, was very conspicuous, moving about courageously in the open and rallying his men together. The Dublins, with the Munsters on their left and the Hants on their right, assaulted the fort.

Lieutenant Bastard, of the Dublins, then did a very brave thing. Leaving the men, who had momentarily taken cover from the machine-gun fire, he ran fearlessly to the opening in the fort, and repeatedly fired his revolver, and he must have killed or wounded some of the gunners, as the fire from the fort was reduced. He escaped miraculously.


Soon after the British rushed the fort, and cleared out the enemy. It was in passing a loophole in the fort that Lieutenant Bastard was wounded, receiving a bullet through the cheek. A wounded Worcester soldier said it was fine to see the dash of the Irishmen. One of the soldiers who participated in the attack said in a bayonet fight uphill the British completely routed the Turks, and established themselves on the hill, but the brave colonel and gallant Major Grimshaw, who had done so much to ensure success, were found dead on the field of battle. Cairo mourns the losses of the 1st Battalion of the Dublins, as the regiment was well-known there, having garrisoned the town five years ago. The colonel was killed in the boat before he had a chance of landing.



We announce with much regret the death of Mr. William Patterson, F.E.I.S., which occurred last week-end at his residence, Dacre Terrace, Londonderry. Mr. Patterson, who was born near Killygordon, County Donegal, spent over half a century in the teaching profession. The first school of which he had charge was at Drumavish, County Donegal. Subsequently he went to Eglinton National School, and after some years there he was appointed teacher of First Derry National School. On the completion of the new and commodious school buildings attached to Carlisle Road Presbyterian Church Mr. Patterson was offered and accepted the appointment of principal, a position which he held up to a few years ago, when he retired on a well-deserved pension. He was recognised as a painstaking, considerate, and highly efficient teacher, who quickly gained and held the affections and confidence of his pupils. The Educational Institute of Scotland paid him the compliment of electing him a Fellow of the Institute, while his professional colleagues in Derry and district honoured him by electing him president of their association. Mr. Patterson was a member of Carlisle Road Presbyterian Church congregation, and acted for a number of years as hon. treasurer. He was twice married, his second family of three sons earning distinction both in the class-rooms and on the athletic field for Foyle College. The eldest, William, is serving with the Canadian Expeditionary Force in France, the second, John K., has also enlisted in the Canadian forces, and was home on a visit when his father passed away, while the remaining son, James R., is a student at M'Crea Magee College. With the widow and family there will be widespread sympathy in their bereavement.



A memorial service was held in the Second Presbyterian Church, Limavady, on Sunday last, in connection with the death of Mrs. Moody, a prominent member of the congregation, who whilst returning from a visit to her brother in San Francisco, went down with the ill-fated liner Lusitania. The deceased was accompanied by her younger daughter, Miss Meta Moody, who was the last passenger to be placed on board the last boat that was safely launched from the sinking liner. The pastor, Rev. John Heney, B.A., B.D., after preaching from Psalm xci. 9-10, said they had lost many faithful friends of the congregation, but they never had lost one under such tragic and horrible circumstances, and they all prayed that such dreadful circumstances would never occur again. She was among the many good friends he was privileged to possess, and her death aroused in him a deep personal sense of loss. Their church was much the poorer for her death, God had given her a sympathetic heart and an open hand, and she showed her sympathy by helping every distinct claim of the church. The church, the Sabbath-school, and the Orphan Society would all miss her liberal gifts. They tendered deep sympathy to the late Mrs. Moody's sons and daughters.



In the ancient burying-g round attached to Drumgooland Presbyterian Church there were laid to rest on the 20th inst. the remains of Mr. James Loughlin, Dechomet, Ballyward. There was a large concourse of mourners, many of whom had journeyed a considerable distance in order to be present. A man of fine business capacity, endowed with a kindly and genial nature and a gift for friendship, Mr. Loughlin had been for a long time a prominent and popular figure in the district, and the news of his death caused general sorrow. As a District and County Councillor he had served his native county faithfully for many years, and as a Presbyterian in religion he had been actively associated with Drumgooland Church. He was a popular member of Independent Loyalist Masonic Lodge 156, and there was a large attendance of brethren at the funeral. A handsome wreath was also sent by the lodge. With the sorrowing widow and family of one daughter and three sons there is deep sympathy in their bereavement.



A wide circle of friends in the districts of Whiteabbey and Carnmoney will learn with sorrow of the death of Mr. James Chisholm, which occurred on Sabbath at his residence, Cloughfern, Whiteabbey. He had been in failing health for some time, but up to a few weeks ago he had been able to attend to his various public duties. He had received the best of medical skill and care at the hands of Dr. Robert Reid, J.P., but, unfortunately, the ailment from which he was suffering had got too firm a hold to permit of his recovery. The deceased was about sixty-nine years of age.

Mr. Chisholm was well known and respected in the district where he lived -- he was a farmer on an extensive scale -- and for a number of years was successively reappointed representative in the Belfast Rural Council, while as a member of the Belfast Guardians he was a familiar, figure at the Board meetings, and sometimes a keen participator in its debates, especially when practical questions were under discussion. His honesty of purpose and unassuming nature made him exceedingly popular, and he will be greatly missed by those with whom he had been so long associated in the administration of public affairs. In the movement which found its completion in the erection of a sanatorium at Whiteabbey the late Mr. Chisholm displayed a good deal of interest. As a staunch Presbyterian he for many years acted as one of the elders of Whiteabbey Church, the minister of which, Rev. W. B. M'Murray, at the services held on Sabbath, in a sympathetic reference to the late Mr. Chisholm's qualities of head and heart spoke of the valuable assistance he had rendered to the promotion of the work of the church.

The remains of the deceased were removed on Tuesday from Cloughfern, Whiteabbey, and interred in the Carnmoney Graveyard. The cortege was a large and representative one, and included deputations from the Belfast Board of Guardians, the Belfast Rural District Council, and the Whiteabbey Presbyterian Church, of which he was a respected elder. The funeral service was conducted by the Rev. W. B. M'Murray.



During last week 3,222 cattle were shipped from Belfast docks as compared with 3,750 for the corresponding week last year.

Mr. R. Sparrow, R.M. for Letterkenny district, has been sworn in as a supplementary magistrate for the city of Londonderry.

The leading shirt manufacturers in Derry received contracts on Monday from the War Office authorities for a large quantity of Army shirts, the total, being approximately 300,000.

The band of the 6th Battalion Connaught Rangers, which had arrived on the previous night, left Newry for Warrenpoint on Tuesday, where a recruiting campaign through County Down was commenced.

Mr. David Craig, J.P., of Oaks Lodge, Londonderry, who died on the 22nd September last, left personal estate in the United Kingdom, valued at 13,526 6s 6d. The bequests were not of public interest.

On Monday Miss Violet Winifred Armstrong, youngest daughter of Mr. George R. Armstrong, J.P., Downshire Road, Newry, left town to undertake Red Cross work in England. She has been allocated to Cambridge.

The Local Government Board have forwarded to Lurgan Guardians a letter from Henry Lavery, Derrynascer, relative to the treatment and death of his son in the Workhouse. A committee was appointed to investigate the matter and report.

There were five applicants for the position of rate collectorship for the electoral divisions of Killea, Castleforward, and Newtowncunningham, in the Derry No. 1 rural district, and Mr. Wm. H. O'Donnell, Letterkenny, was declared appointed.

Many expressions of sympathy were offered at Monaghan Petty Sessions on Tuesday to Mr. Wm. Black, High Sheriff of County Monaghan, on the death of his youngest son, Lieutenant Cecil Black, R.N., who was killed in the Dardanelles operations.

At a meeting of Tyrone Sheep-dipping Committee on Saturday, nine applications were received for the position of assistant sheep-dipping inspector for the Omagh and portion of Strabane Rural districts at 1 per week. James M'Laren Armstrong, Brackey, was appointed.

At the annual meeting of Coleraine Orchestral Society held on the 21st inst. the secretary reported a credit balance, and stated that thirty-one practices had been held during the season. Miss Woodburn and Mr. J. T. M'Candless were re-elected librarian and secretary respectively.

On Monday afternoon a garden party, with croquet and numerous other competitions, was held at Ogle's Grove, Hillsborough -- the residence of Mr. J. N. R. Pim -- the main object being to raise funds in aid of Y.M.C.A. tents for troops in Ireland and the Lisburn Widows' (Clothing Endowment) Fund.

At the half-yearly meeting of the County Armagh Grand Grange Lodge in the Portadown Orange Hall it was decided not to have a county demonstration on 12th July, but to allow each district to make its own arrangements. In no case will drumming be permitted, and no banners are to be displayed.

On Friday Mr. John Mallagan, Newry, received official news that his son, Private John Mallagan, of the Dublin Fusiliers, was killed in action, on the 11th May while serving with the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force, and also that his eldest son, Samuel, of the same regiment, had been wounded on the same occasion.

In St. Paul's Church, Garvagh, on the 19th inst. a memorial service was held in connection with the death of Second Lieutenant Oliver Babington Macausland, of the Indian Army and who was attached to the R.I.R. stationed in Belfast, from which he went to the front, and fell in action on Sunday, the 9th inst.

At an inquest at Brackaghlislea, near Draperstown, on Saturday, a verdict of death from apoplexy was returned in the case of a farmer named Michael M'Keown, whose dead body was found lying on the roadside the previous morning. Deceased left home to go to a friend's house, and left the latter place about 10 p.m.

Mrs. Dorcas Holme Elliott, Strabane, was found dead in bed at Lever House, Portstewart, on the 21st inst. Deceased, who was a widow, had been staying at Portstewart for the past fortnight, and had been in indifferent health. She was the mother of Mr. Thomas Elliott, solicitor, Strabane, and was in her seventy-fifth year.

At Limavady hiring fair wages ruled something like the previous market -- namely, best ploughmen and men capable of working harvesting machinery; 14 to 16, with board and lodging for the six months; strong youths 9 to 11; girls for indoor and outdoor work, 8 to 10; young girls as learners &c., 6 10s to 8.

The death has occurred suddenly of Mr. William Teele, J.P., Dunbar, Enniskillen. Deceased had been attending the meeting of the County Fermanagh Grand Orange Lodge on 20th inst., and had been complaining of not feeling well, and on returning home in the evening expired suddenly from heart failure. He was over seventy years of age.

Amongst those who are now believed to have also gone down with the Lusitania were Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Agnew, who were returning to Ballylummin, Ahoghill, near Ballymena, after four years' residence in Nonnessen, Pennsylvania, U.S.A. Mr. Agnew, who was a carpenter by trade, was a son of the late Mr. John Agnew, farmer, Ballylummin.

The second hiring fair was held at Dungannon on Saturday. Wages ruled much the same as at the preceding fair -- viz., ploughmen and other qualified farm hands, 13 to 15; general men, 8 10s to 11 10s; cattle men, from 14s to 16s par week, with various benefits; boys, from 7 to 9; women for indoor and outdoor work, 8 to 10; young girls, 6 to 7 10s.

Apropos of the warning to conserve our coal, Magherafelt Guardians have passed a resolution directing attention to the fact that the mineral resources of Ireland had been undeveloped for a lengthened period, that it was well known that at least 100 years' supply of good coal lay under the soil, and that an effort should be made to obtain Government assistance to bring the coal to the surface. They also suggested that the Irish Industrial Development Association should take steps to have preliminary findings made.

At Letterkenny Petty Sessions a farmer named Robert Hunter, of Errity, Manorcunningham, was charged with having lighted a fire in the open air at Manorcunningham, being within a distance of twenty miles of Buncrana, without permission from the competent military authority. Mr. Wm. Kelly, who defended, said his client admitted the offence. It was a common thing for farmers to burn furze, and the defendant had no malicious or dangerous intent. The defendant was fined 1s and costs.



On Sabbath evening a memorial service was held in Ballyrashane Church for John Stinson Lyons, son of one of the elders. The deceased met his death by shell-fire as a member of the 90th Winnipeg Rifles on the 24th April. The Rev. C. W. Hunter preached, and the lessons from Holy Scripture were read by the Rev. D. H. Dewar, the service at Ballywatt being given up to allow the old neighbours of the deceased soldier belonging to that church to attend. There was a very large congregation, fully half being from Ballywatt. The praise service included the deceased's favourite Psalm and hymn -- the 23rd Psalm and the 1st hymn, "Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty!" Mr. Hunter, referring to the wooden cross on the grave behind the trench, quoted the recent Scots poem of the Rev. George Abel, minister of Udny, entitled "Somewhere in France." Mr. Bride, of Coleraine, presided at the organ, the congregation reverently standing while the Dead March in "Saul" was played.


^ top of page