The Witness - Friday, 2 November 1917

Roll of Honour

STUART -- Killed in France, October 24, Rev. Alexander Stuart, minister of Bessbrook Presbyterian Church, chaplain to the 12th Batt. Royal Irish Rifles, son of the late Rev. J. G. Stuart, Clare, Tandragee, and of Mrs. Stuart, 38, Brookvale Avenue, Belfast, and grandson of the late Rev. Robert Fleming, Cavan.

SIMMS -- Killed in action in Flanders on October, 26, 1917, Captain John Sabbald Simms, 2/12 London Rangers, aged 23 years, only son of S. H. Simms, Newtownards, and only nephew of Major-General Rev. John M. Simms, C.M.G., D.D., K.H.C., Principal Chaplain to the British Army in France.


LOWE--WOOD -- September 29, 1917, at the Presbyterian Church, Santa Fe, by the Rev. Mr. Cook, Regimental Chaplain, Lieutenant John A. Lowe, second son of the Rev. Dr. Lowe, Belfast, to Laura Willard, daughter of Professor J. A. Wood, Santa Fe, New Mexico, U.S.A.


M'COSH -- October 27, 1917, at the residence of her husband, Ballygelly, Broughshane, Ballymena, Agnes, dearly-loved wife of James M'Cosh, sen. Interred in Rocavan Burying-ground on Tuesday, October 30th.

APPERSON -- October 26 (suddenly), at Thomas Street, Newtownards, James Apperson, jun.

BELLIS -- October 24, at Woodland, Golder Green, London, N.W., Charles Heslett Swiney, eldest son of the late Rev. S. A. Bellis, M.A., LL.D., Ramelton, Co. Donegal.

CAMPBELL -- October 29, at her residence, Ballycreely House, Comber, Elizabeth Campbell.

DUDGEON -- October 25, at his residence, Mill Street, Pettigo, Simon Dudgeon, late of Cranmore Park.

DYER -- October 28 (suddenly), at Mount Dennis, Toronto, Thomas, husband of the late Jane Dyer, 23, Summer Street, Belfast.

KELLY -- October 25, at his nephew-in-law's residence, Mahee Island, Malcolm Kelly.

LILLIE -- October 24, at his residence, Toughblane, Hillsborough, Robert Lillie.

LYLE -- October 26, at her residence, Ardkeen, Carnmoney, Sarah Jane Beattie, relict of the late Thomas Lyle.

MARSHALL -- October 25, Annie Marshall, the dearly-beloved wife of Vernon Georg Marshall, Patras, Greece.

MORRISON -- October 27, at her residence, Laurel Cottage, Ballymacreely, Killinchy, Martha, wife of John Morrison.

MUNCE -- October 28, at his residence, Drumkeen, Holywood, James Munce, M.Inst.C.E., Assistant City Surveyor, Belfast.

M'CALMONT -- October 28, at her residence, New Row, Glenarm, Cassie, the beloved wife of Robert M'Calmont.

NELSON -- October 28, at the residence of her son, Central Avenue, Bangor, Elizabeth, widow of the late Edward Nelson.

PATTERSON -- October 19, at her residence, Grove Hili House, Glenanne, Hannah Jane, dearly-loved wife of James Patterson, and daughter of the late Samuel Corkey, Ballylane. "Until the day breaks and shadows flee away."

SHILLIDY -- October 31, at Ashurst, Glastonbury Avenue, Antrim Road, Belfast, Rev. John Shillidy, M.A., D.D., Indian Missionary (retired), late of Surat, Bombay.

TAYLOR -- October 25, at his residence, Lifford, Co. Donegal, John A. Taylor, Esq., J.P.

THOMPSON -- October 21, at the residence of his parents, 14, Fitzroy Avenue, Belfast, James Irwin (Jamesie) dearly-beloved son of Josias and Margaret Thompson, after a lingering illness, borne with Christian resignation.
"I know that my Redeemer liveth." -- Job. xix. 25.
"Jesus saith, I am the Resurrection and the Life." -- John xi. 25.

WALMSLEY -- October 25, at Ballykeel House, Kilkeel, James Walmsley, J.P., aged 94 years.

WARD -- October 29, at 20, Seymour Street, Lisburn, Agnes, widow of the late Dr. J. S. Ward.

WILLIS -- October 28, at her residence, Dundonald, Margaret Willis.

WILSON -- October 27, at his residence, Edenderry, Ballymoney Hill, Banbridge, John Wilson.



We regret to announce the death of Mr. James Munce, M.Inst.C.E., assistant city surveyor and engineer to the Belfast Corporation, which occurred on Sabbath night at his residence, Alexandra Park, Holywood. The deceased, who was born in 1852, in Belfast, had been in the service of the Corporation for forty-four years, and held the position of assistant city surveyor since 1892. He took an important part in connection with the execution of the scheme for the opening up of Ormeau Avenue, the widening of Queen's Bridge, the reconstruction of the Albert Bridge, the erection of the central fire station, the carrying out of the extensive drainage system which was begun in 1888, and in connection with the preparation of the scheme for the clearing of slum areas. The deceased gentleman was an acknowledged authority on the history of Belfast, and particularly on its topography, and on several occasions he read papers before various local societies bearing on the changes which have taken place in the social and municipal life of the city. In the Masonic Order, of which he was an enthusiastic member, he was a P.M. of Lodge 243. He was a loyal member of the Presbyterian Church, attended High Street Presbyterian Church, Holywood, and was on the committee of that congregation. Both in private and professional life the deceased was held in high esteem. He had a very genial disposition, and was ever ready to extend a helping hand to those who sought his assistance. He leaves a widow, one son (Mr. J. S. Munce, B.A., M.Inst.C.E.), and three daughters, with all of whom deep sympathy will be felt in their sad bereavement.

The funeral took place on Tuesday, and was largely attended. The chief mourners were Mr. J. S. Munce, B.E., A.M.Inst.C.E. (son); Mr. W. B. Munce (cousin), and other relatives. The officiating clergyman was Rev. D. H.. Maconachie, B.A., B.D., minister of Second Presbyterian Church, High Street, who conducted a short service at the house and performed the last ceremony at the graveside.



The death occurred last week, after a lengthened illness, of Mr. James Stewart, a leading Belfast solicitor, at his residence, 43, Eglantine Avenue. Deceased, who was seventy-six years of age, was a native of Kells, Co. Antrim, and only a few weeks ago word was received that his youngest son, Major A. L. Stewart, an Irish Rugby International, had been killed in action. The late Sir. Stewart was formerly a member of Crescent Presbyterian Church, and latterly af Windsor Presbyterian Church, and in politics was a staunch Unionist.


Military Cross for Presbyterian Minister's son.

Captain L. S. Duncan has recently been awarded the Military Cross for conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty during the attack in the Gheluvelt-Langemarck line on 16th August, 1917. Captain Duncan had also been recommended for the Military Cross for his good work during the attack on the Messines-Wytschaete Ridge on the 7th June, 1917. He is the elder son of Rev. S. Duncan, Killucan, Westmeath, formerly of Corvalley, Monaghan. He joined the 17th Royal Irish Rifles as a cadet in April, 1915; received his commission in October of same year; was attached to 14th Rifles, and sent to France in June, 1916; and was made lieutenant August, 1916. He was promoted to rank of captain, and appointed adjutant of has battalion in September, 1917. His first taste of fighting was at the battle of the Somme on July 1st, 1916, when the Ulster Division made their memorable charge. He has taken part in all the big pushes in which that division was engaged since that time.



Funeral Address by Rev. Dr. Montgomery.

The funeral of Rev. Dr. Clarke took place on Thursday, October 25, in the new cemetery at Galway. There on a wind-swept hill that commands a view of Galway Bay and the mountains of Clare he was laid to rest. There were many public manifestations of respect and sympathy. The Recorder adjourned his Court, the Urban Council suspended their sitting, the Board of Guardians and the Committee of Technical Education sent resolutions of sympathy, and University College, Galway, sent its professors and students in their academic robes to take part in the procession. A great number of the people of Galway were present also, and the general sorrow was shown by the tolling of the bell of St. Nicholas', and by the closing of business houses and the drawing of blinds along the route.

The service at the Manse (Spires Hill) was conducted by Rev. T. S. Burkitt (Athenry) and Rev. R. Scott (Ennis). At the last moment it was found that Dr. Clarke's brothers, as well as his eldest son, had been detained by stress of weather and difficulties of travelling from England. Some of them arrived, but too late. The chief mourners were D. L. Clarke and Norman A. Clarke (sons), R. Knox M'Elderry (son-in-law), and J. Courtenay Knox M'Elderry (grandson). A brief service was conducted in the mortuary chapel, in which the Rev. W. P. Young, B.A. (Dr. Clarke's successor), and the Rev. M. Rea, B.A., took part.

The address was delivered by the Rev. Henry Montgomery, D.D., Belfast, who said he was in their midst that day at the request of the Moderator of the General Assembly (who, to his great regret, found it impossible to be present) in order to show the deep sense of loss that was experienced by the members of the Irish Presbyterian Church at the home call of so devoted and distinguished a son as the late Dr. J. C. Clarke had proved himself to be. Whilst Dr. Clarke loved and served his Church with great ability and constancy, he was a broad-minded man and alive to see all that was worthy and good in other Christian Communions. Most sympathetic towards every good cause. Dr. Clarke was appointed to the office of convener of the Home Mission. The Home Mission, he might explain, was an organisation in their Church intended mainly to shepherd scattered members of their Communion, giving to them the religious ministrations to which they had been accustomed and in which they delighted. It would be impossible to tell of the long and frequent and tiresome journeys which Dr. Clarke undertook in order to carry out efficiently his ministry as convener of the Home Mission. Whatever he did he did with all his heart. Whilst serving his own Communion with the greatest fidelity he took a warm interest in the welfare of Galway, the city in which he had resided for some thirty-five years. He was made a member of the governing body of the University College, and was also a dean of Residence. The remarkable demonstration in the streets of that ancient city that day had made a profound impression upon him (the speaker). All religious denominations and all ranks were represented on that solemn occasion, and he felt that that was a testimony to the esteem and affection in which Dr. Clarke was held more forcible than any words he could employ. Dr. Clarke was honoured by being elevated to the Moderator's Chair, and it was common knowledge that he most efficiently discharged the duties of that high office with tact and wisdom and courtesy. He was unsparing of himself during that busy year, but, indeed, that was his characteristic all through life. He was also appointed a Commissioner of National Education, and he felt sure that if the opinion of his colleagues on that important Board was sought it would be that they had had up Dr. Clarke a wise and fair-minded administrator, and one who gave of his very best to the work committed to his care. One did not need to say to those gathered in that mortuary chapel that Dr. Clarke was gentle in his manner, kind in disposition, worthy and upright in his life. They themselves knew it. In his own Communion he was known as a man who was reliable in his judgment, an ecclesiastical statesman of the highest kind, who loved his Church and lived the Evangel, which he delighted to proclaim. His native land was dear to him, and he sought her welfare in every way in his power. Coming from the North when a young minister, he rapidly understood the viewpoint of congregations scattered over the South and West, and did invaluable service in carrying out a wise and progressive policy in connection with the Home Mission enterprise of the Church. Dr. Clarke's loss to the Presbyterian Church was very great. He will be greatly missed but God had wonderful ways of raising up others to carry on His work when those who had done it so well had been called hence. If one dared intrude upon the sanctity of the home that had lost so much it would be to say how deep and heartfelt was the sympathy for all of them, and to assure them that the loving and earnest prayers of a wide circle of friends will ascend unto the ear of the Heavenly Father that they may be kept and sustained in this dark hour.



With sincere regret we have to announce the death of the Rev. John Shillidy, M.A., D.D., which took place on Wednesday evening at his residence, Glastonbury Avenue, Belfast. Dr. Shillidy bore literally the burden and heat of the day on the Indian Mission field for over forty years, and had only retired from active duty about two and a half years ago. Dr. Shillidy, who spent his earlier years near Castlewellan, County Down, received his education at the Royal Academical Institution and at the Queen's College, Belfast, and obtained the degree of Master of Arts, with first-class honours in logic, metaphysics, and history in the Queen's University in 1871. He was licensed by the Rathfriland Presbytery on May 5, 1874, and on November 16, 1874, he was ordained by the same Presbytery, and designated to missionary work in India. In 1907 he obtained the degree of Doctor of Divinity from the Presbyterian Theological Faculty (Ireland). Dr. Shillidy was a very earnest missionary, and Kind and warmhearted gentleman. The writer remembers him in his student days, and met him on the majority of the occasions on which he came home on furlough. He was always full of enthusiasm for his work, and active in its prosecution. He had charge of the mission Press in Surat. He was greatly beloved. by his fellow missionaries, and held in high esteem by the local community, and occupying a prominent place in its life. He received the Kaiser-I-Hind, a medal of the first class from the Indian Government in recognition of his public services to India. His death will be regretted by those who knew his work and worth, as his departure from India was regarded as a loss to the cause of the mission there. But the good work still goes on.



There is a cardinal principle that the proper selection of Footwear saves pain and annoyance later. The Damp-proof Boots and Clogs, made by Messrs. BIRNEY'S, Ltd., North Street, Belfast, ensure comfort and good health with durability, at moderate prices. As Government contractors, their Boots are a standard for War Workers and Sailors.



Rev. Alexander Stuart, Bessbrook.

Rev. Alex. Stuart, of Bessbrook, who had only a couple of weeks ago gone to France as a chaplain to the Ulster Division, has been killed in action. No details are as yet forthcoming as to how he met his death, but the intelligence has sent a shock throughout the whole Church, the deceased being one of the most popular of the young ministers of the Assembly. In the early part of 1916 he was in Egypt doing work amongst the soldiers in connection, with the Y.M.C.A, and so deeply interested was be in the welfare of our fighting men that he felt at his duty to volunteer as a regular chaplain, his decision being acquiesced in by his warmly attached congregation. No one expected that a career so promising should be terminated so soon, and from many quarters to-day there will be expressions of sincerest sympathy not merely with his congregation in Bessbrook, but more particularly with his widowed mother and the other members of the family, in their sad bereavement. The deceased was a son of Rev. J. C. Stuart, Secession minister, of Clare, near Tandragee, and received his primary education at Tanioky National School, near Poyntzpass, and Agnes Street National School, Belfast. He pursued his studies for the ministry during his under-graduate career Magee College, Derry. He took one session in theology in Assembly's College, Belfast; one in New College, Edinburgh; and one in Princeton, America. On the completion of his college course he was licensed by the General Assembly on June 3rd, 1912, the Rev. Dr. Montgomery being Moderator for that year. For the next three years he was assistant minister in Agnes Street Church, under the Rev. W. J. Baird. In the different congregations in which he laboured he endeared himself greatly to the people, all of whom will learn with regret of his lamented early death. On the 21st May, 1913, he was ordained in Bessbrook in succession to the Rev. Thomas Cromie, and though his years there have been few, the impress of what he accomplished will not soon pass away. He was a splendid preacher, a faithful pastor, a true friend, a loyal co-presbyter, and had he been spared was destined to rank amongst the foremost ministers of the Irish Presbyterian Church. Deceased was one of five brothers who entered the ministry, the others being -- The late, Rev. R. F. Stuart, pastor of the Secession Presbyterian Church, Stranraer; Rev. S. F. Stuart, B.A., of Ballyjamesduff, formerly of Aughnacloy; Rev. T. C. Stuart, of Macosquin, near Coleraine; and Rev. Henry Cooke Stuart, of Donaghmore, near Newry.


Among the students who have been elected by the Board of Sizarships in Trinity Collage, Dublin, on the result of the examination held on 8th, 9th, and 10th October, are two boys from the Royal Academical Institution, Belfast -- Jonathan Tate, who stands first on the list with a total of 352½ marks, while next to him in order of merit is another Institution boy, Thomas Megarry, who scored 327.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

The late Mr. W. C. Heron. D.L., of Holywood, Co. Down, left 75,068, and bequeathed his Ballysheal property to the Cowan-Heron Cottage Hospital, Dromore; his Ballincurry property to his nephew, J. M. Heron; lands at Tullynishey and Enogh to his brother John, with remainder to his nephew, F. A. Heron; and the residue to his brother John (who predeceased him).

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Private T. Craig, R. I. Fusiliers, Portobello Barracks, Dublin, who was returning from Belfast, where he had been on leave, disappeared from a carriage of a G.N.R. train, and, on a search being made, his body was found on the line near Moira, the left leg being severed and the back of the head almost reduced to a pulp. On him was found a will in favour of a sister.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

The death has taken place of Mr. John A. Taylor, J.P., Lifford, the proprietor of the Strabane Foundry. Deceased, who was a native of Belfast, was a member of the Presbyterian Church and a staunch Unionist in politics. He was a member of the Masonic Order.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

The death has occurred of Mr. James Walmsley, J.P., of Ballykeel House, Kilkeel. The deceased gentleman, who had reached the advanced age of ninety-four years, was extensively engaged in agricultural pursuits, and for many years successfully conducted two large flax mills on his farm. For half a century he was a Justice of the Peace for County Down. He was also a member of the old Kilkeel Board of Guardians.


^ top of page

The Witness - Friday, 9 November 1917


CRAIG -- November 2, at 2, Ashbrooke Mount, Sunderland, the wife of the Rev. J. Millar Craig, of a son.

MACAULAY -- November 4, at 6, Temple Villas, Palmerston Road, Rathgar, Dublin, the wife of the Rev. J. J. Macaulay -- a daughter.


REID--BUCHAN -- October 9, 1917, at First Dungannon Presbyterian Church, by Rev. S. W. Thompson, B.A., assisted by Rev. W. G. Waterworth, Gold Coast, West Africa (brother-in-law of the bridegroom), Herbert Frederick M'Cune Reid, youngest son of Mr. W. O. Reid, Castle Hill, Dungannon, to Kathleen, youngest daughter of Mr. C. Buchan, Glenholme, Dungannon.


M'BRIDE -- November 8, at her residence, Lismore, Windsor Avenue, Eliza, daughter of the late Robert M'Bride. Funeral private. No flowers.

ANDERSON -- November 4, at his residence, Granshaw, Bangor, William Anderson.

CHRISTIE -- November 1, at Ballygarvey House, Ballymena, David, elder son of the late Robert Christie, Solicitor, Ballymena.

CRAIG -- November 4, at his residence, Kilmakee, Robert Craig.

DUNCAN -- November 7, at the residence of her sister, 3, Mayfield, Bangor, Annie Margaret, third daughter of the late George and Isobel Duncan, Londonderry.

HADDEN -- November 1 (suddenly), William Hadden, son of the late John Hadden, Ballylane, Glenanne.

HAMILTON -- November 2, at her residence, Forthill, Ballycarry, Jane, eldest daughter of the late James Hamilton.

HAMILTON -- November 4, at her sister's residence, Ballygowan, Dromore, Mary Jane, beloved wife of Samuel Hamilton, of Moneydarahmore, Annalong, Co. Down.

HEGGAN -- November 3, at his brother's residence, Gransha, Islandmagee, John Heggan, aged 74 years.

HOBSON -- November 7, at Chrome Hill, Lambeg, Elizabeth, widow of the late William Hobson, J.P., of Toronto, Canada.

JOHNSTON -- November 5, at his residence, Moylagh, Beragh, Christopher Johnston.

KERNAGHAN -- October 31, at Egremont, Whitehead, Elizabeth Kernaghan, formerly of Enniskillen, aged 87 years.

LEACOCK -- November 6, at her husband's residence, Clooney, Tobermore, the beloved wife of Henry Leacock.

MAGILL -- November 5, at his residence, Kinghill, Rathfriland, Thomas Magill, aged 78 years.

MATCHETT -- November 4, at his residence, Derrykeevin, Portadown, Thomas Matchett, in his 82nd year.

MOORE -- November 3, at Springfield, Lurgan, Mary Elizabeth, eldest daughter of the late Dunlop Moore, Lurgan.

M'ALISTER -- October 31, at his residence, Moycraig, County Antrim, Hamill M'Alister, aged 70 years.

M'KEAN -- November 2, at the Manse, Strandtown, Belfast, Rev. Wm. M'Kean, D.D.

M'QUOID -- October 23 (suddenly), at Sierra Leone, West Africa, Norman S. M'Quoid, Barrister-at-Law, eldest and dearly-beloved son of James and Mary R. M'Quoid, Bangor.

PINKERTON -- November 1, at her brother's residence, Dunaverney, Mary Pinkerton.

REID -- November 5, at her residence, Tullagh, Cyprus Gardens, Belfast, Sarah, the beloved wife of the late William Reid, Tullagh House, Cookstown.

REID -- November 6, in Hospital, Leeds, Hugh Reid, of Belfast.

ROBINSON -- November 5, at her residence, Drumrankin, Cloughmills, Margaret {----} Robinson.

SMYTH -- November 4 (suddenly), at Carrickfergus, Thomas Smyth, of 35, South Parade, Belfast.

STEVENSON -- November 5, at 18, Ashley Avenue, Belfast, William Stevenson, late of Holm Lea, Ballymena.

SWAN -- November 2, at his residence, The Diamond, Monaghan, William Swan, Proprietor "Northern Standard," in the 85th year of his age.

TUMBER -- September 28, at her residence, 172, Warburton Avenue, New York City, U.S.A., Sarah, wife of Fred H. Tumber.

In Memoriam

ADAMS -- In loving memory of Robert Adams, of Craigmore, Bessbrook, County Armagh, who entered into rest on 7th November, 1909, in his 69th year. Rev. vii, 13-17.



A Belfast Man the Bridegroom.

From a Santa Fe (New Mexico) newspaper we extract the following:--

Amid a profusion of huge white dahlias, stately pink chrysanthemums, and the flags of the Allies, the wedding of Miss Laura Wood was solemnised at the Presbyterian Church. Rev. Mr, Cook, of Albuquerque, the regimental chaplain, performed the ceremony. At five o'clock Miss Ramona Beckne began to play beautifully Liszt's "Liebestraume." This was followed by "When you are truly mine," exquisitely sung by Mrs. Frank E. Andrews, of Albuquerque. At 5-15 the organ burst into the sonorous cadences of Mendelssohn's "Wedding March," and the little Misses Gladys and Frances Andrews, the beautiful daughters of Mr. and Mrs. F. E. Andrews, as flower girls, were seen slowly coming up the aisle, leading the bridal procession. . . . Next came the bride, leaning on the arm of her father, Professor J. A. Wood; she wore an exquisite gown of white taffeta, with silver lace bodice. Her veil was held in place by a bandeau of orange blossoms, most becoming to her brunette beauty. She carried a huge shower bouquet, of bride's roses, and wore an antique locket of spun gold, which has been in the family for several generations. As the bridal party approached the altar, the groom and his beast man, Lieutenant Blackman, slowly approached from the side and took up their places. The ring ceremony was used. . . . The bride, Miss Laura Willard Wood, is the daughter of Professor and Mrs. J. A. Wood, of this city. She received her elementary and high school education in the city schools of Santa Fe, where her father was superintendent for thirteen years. Later, she was graduated from the four years' philosophical course at Ottawa University, Ottawa, Kans. She spent a year in Evanston, Ill., studying voice and violin at the North-Western Conservatory of Music. The past few years she has been at home with her parents, has been actively engaged in church and civic work in Santa Fe, and is very popular socially. The groom, Lieutenant John Alexander Lowe, is the son of Rev. W. J. Lowe, M.A., D.D., General Secretary of the Presbyterian Church in Ireland. Lieut. Lowe was educated at Campbell College, Belfast, and graduated from the Municipal Technical Institute of Belfast. He came to the United States in November, 1909, having accepted a position as mechanical engineer in Owensboro, Ky. He came to New Mexico two years later. At the President's call, May, 1916, Lieutenant Lowe enlisted and went to Columbus with the Santa Fe Company, receiving his commission in February, 1917. Lieutenant and Mrs. Lowe have the congratulations and best wishes of innumerable friends. They expect to be at home after November 15, at Linda Vista, Cal.



The mortal remains of this honoured missionary were laid to rest in Carnmoney Cemetery on Friday. The funeral was private, and there were present -- The Moderator of the General Assembly (Right Rev. Dr. John Irwin), Rev. Dr. Park, Rev. Dr. G. Thompson, Rev. Dr. Wm. Beatty, Rev. Robert Boyd (India), Rev. Dr. Maconaghie, Rev. Alex. L. Harrison, and the Rev. A. W. Whitley. The service in the house was conducted by the Moderator and the Rev. Dr. Maconaghie. The Moderator said they were met to pay a reverent tribute to one very dear to them all. Dr. Shillidy went forth to mission service in India as the representative of our Church in 1874, and for over forty years he worthily and nobly sustained the high traditions of the Foreign Mission. He was a pioneer in what has come to be the important station of Anand, and others have been privileged to put in the sickle and reap where he put in the good seed of truth. In Surat a like blessing attended his labours, and as superintendent of the mission Press he worked with consuming zeal and devotion to give the Bible and other good books in the language of Gujarat. A man of wisdom, high character, and force of will he secured a large place in the public life of the Surat community, and the King was graciously pleased to award him the Kaiser-i-Hind Medal (first class) as a recognition of these services. No one cared less than Dr. Shillidy for public honours, whether coming from civil or ecclesiastical sources; but to his many friends in India and at home it was a matter of great pleasure that his valuable activities were not allowed to pass unrecognised. But first and foremost, and through all, Dr. Shillidy was a faithful and energetic missionary who never spared himself to advance the kingdom of his Lord and Master in Gujarat. Those who bore the responsibilities of this great mission, at home naturally turned to Dr. Shillidy in any emergency or difficulty, and they never looked in vain. He took a clear, unbiassed, statesmanlike view of any situation. His fellow-missionaries trusted and loved him, and the younger of them looked to him as a father. Now he has finished the course and kept the faith, and we have the strong and earnest belief that his is the Master's crown that shall never fade away. His example will be an inspiration to his fellow-workers and all of us, and we shall continue to pray and labour for the evangelisation of India on which his heart was set. Rev. Dr. Park and the Rev. Robert Boyd, R.A., conducted a brief service at the graveside.


Jean Johnson, a Salvation Army captain, collapsed in Henry Street Church, Cork, while delivering an address, and died soon after.


The decoration of the Royal Red Cross (second class) has been awarded to Miss Mary Warnock, Third London General Hospital, Wandsworth. Miss Warnock is a daughter of the late Rev. Robert Warnock, for many years Presbyterian minister at Augher, and she is a member of the Augher and Clogher section of the St. John's Ambulance, V.A.D., 686 (South Tyrone).



The death occurred suddenly on Monday evening, following an accident a fortnight ago, of Dr. Wm. Graham, Medical Superintendent of the Belfast and District Lunatic Asylum. The deceased was one of the greatest, authorities on mental disease, and his contributions to literature dealing with the causes of insanity are classics, both from the point of view of literary beauty and scientific erudition. He was a firm apostle of the virtues of open air, of the activities offered by agricultural labour, and, above all, he was a rigid exponent of temperance. In the present year, when the Grosvenor Road Asylum was taken over by the military authorities for mental cases, Dr. Graham was appointed medical officer in charge with the temporary rank of lieutenant-colonel in the R.A.M.C. His life was an exceptionally strenuous one, but all the same he found intervals for outdoor recreation, when his favourite sport was hunting. There was no keener or better rider to hounds in the Northern province. The deceased was a member of the congregation of Newtonbreda Presbyterian Church. He did not take any active part in politics, but he was known to be a staunch Unionist. The deceased is survived by his wife, with whom profound sympathy will be felt in her very sad bereavement, and two brothers. One of the latter is Dr. S. Graham, medical superintendent of the County Antrim Asylum, and the other is Mr. Robert Graham. The late Rev. Dr. Graham, of Comber, was also a brother of the deceased, and Captain S. J. Graham, senior assistant medical officer at the Belfast Asylum, is a nephew.

The funeral of the deceased took place yesterday, when the remains were removed from Purdysburn House, and interred in the family burying-ground, Dundrod. The chief mourners were -- Mrs. Graham (wife), Miss Violet Cowan, Mr. Graham (brother), Mr. W. J. Adely (brother-in-law), Captains W. Adely and S. J. Graham, Messrs. S. J. Graham and T. S. Graham (nephews). Amongst other personal friends in attendance were the Lord Mayor (Councillor James Johnston, J.P.), Rev. Dr. Irwin (Moderater of the General Assembly), Rev. Dr. Workman, Newtonbreda; Councillor Wm. Macartney, J.P. (chairman of the Asylum Committee). Prior to the removal of the remains a brief service was conducted at the house by the Rev. Dr. Workman, and at the graveside the Rev. Dr. Irwin officiated.

Messrs. Melville & Co., Ltd., had charge of the funeral arrangements, which were carried out in a satisfactory manner under the supervision of Mr. R. Lea.


^ top of page

The Witness - Friday, 16 November 1917


M'MILLAN -- November 14, at Seaview, Sheridan Drive, Ballyholme, Co. Down, to Mr. and Mrs. J. Steen M'Millan -- a son.


FLEMING--NORMINGTON -- November 8, at Daveyhulme Church, Manchester, by the Rev. T. D. Harland, M.A., Hugh M'Cutcheon Fleming, M.D., Lieut. R.A.M.C., son of the late Joseph Fleming, Portadown, and Mrs. Fleming, Clifton Villa, Bangor, to Doris May, eldest daughter of the late George H. Normington and Mrs. Normington, Spring Cliff, Urmston, Manchester.


M'MASTER -- November 10, 1917, at Kirkcubbin, Ann Jane M'Master. The remains of my beloved sister were interred in the family burying-ground, Kirkcubbin, on Monday, 12th inst. Rachel M'Master.

O'NEILL -- November 11, 1917, at a Private Nursing Home, Anabel, eldest daughter of the late James O'Neill. Her remains were removed from the residence of her brother-in-law, Ingram Burnside, Norham, Bladen Drive, Belfast, on the 14th inst., and interred in the City Cemetery.

ALLAN -- November 11, at her residence, Ivy Place, Holywood, Jane Elizabeth, relict of the late William Allan (formerly of Lurgan).

CAUGHEY -- November 9, at Ballymaleddy, Comber, John Brown Caughey.

DUNLOP -- November 10, at Sunnymount, Malone Park, Elizabeth, widow of William H. Dunlop, and daughter of the late James Alexander Kidd, Keady, County Armagh.

GARVIN -- November 14, at her mother's residence, Dora Isabel, dearly-loved daughter of the late J. A. Garvin (formerly of Castledawson) and Mrs Garvin, 4, Clifton Crescent, Belfast.

GRAHAM -- November 14, at 4, Lorely, Princetown Road, Bangor, Mary, widow of the late John C. Graham, and fourth daughter of the late John T. Carter.

HILL -- November 14, at the residence of her daughter-in-law, Hill View, Blessington, Co. Wicklow, Annie Smith Hill, widow of the late Thomas Hill, of Benvista, Antrim Road, Belfast.

LANGRIDGE -- November 10, at his residence, Ballymenoch, Holywood, Robert Langridge.

LONG -- November 10, at his father's residence, Kilrea, Co. Derry, Robert (Bobby), son of Richardson A. Long.

MOORE -- November 9, at her residence, Strangford, Mary, eldest daughter of the late George Moore.

M'CLELLAND -- November 9, at her residence, Glynn, Jane, relict of the late Samuel M'Clelland.

M'CRONE -- November 8, at his residence, Lismenary, Ballynure, Hugh M'Crone.

M'KEOWN -- November 9, at his brother-in-law's residence, 58, Grand Street, Low Road, Lisburn, Joseph M'Keown.

M'MASTER -- November 14, at his residence, Pointview House, Islandmagee, William M'Master.

SILLY -- September 5, at Turk's Island, Caicos, George Silly, late of Belfast.



In view of the shortage of leather and its consequent increase in price, any device or process is welcome which will lengthen the life of our footwear. In this connection it cannot be too widely known that varnishing the soles of boots and shoes makes them wear four or five times as long as they would do without this treatment. An inferior type of copal varnish is quite good enough for the purpose, and half a pint, costing, with a suitable brush, about a shilling, should keep one person's boots treated for a year or more. The leather must be quite dry and bare when the varnish is applied. New boots should be worn therefore for a day before treatment, so as to remove the black varnish from the soles. The operation is carried out by brushing on the varnish at intervals of, say, half an hour, until the leather will not soak up any more. This condition may be recognised from the surface remaining shiny all over, instead of becoming dull in places. After being hung up to dry for about twelve hours the boots are ready for wear. The usual plan is to wear out the soles after one varnishing, but an even longer life can be assured by treating them once a month. Those who have never tried varnish on the soles of their boots will be astonished at the length of time they wear them so treated; while last, but not least, the varnish renders them waterproof.


Among the list of officers who have recently been awarded the Military Cross is the name of Second-Lieutenant Wm. Henderson Osborne, Leinster Regiment, only son of Rev. Dr. Denham Osborne, Dublin. Second-Lieutenant Osborne was seriously wounded on July 31st, but has made good progress towards recovery. He has been promoted lieutenant.


^ top of page

The Witness - Friday, 23 November 1917


WILSON--KILPATRICK -- November 14, by special licence, at the residence of the bride's parents, by Rev. E. G. Linster, assisted by Rev. R. J. Porter, B.A., Rev. R. J. Wilson, M.A., Raffrey, to Margaret Mary, eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Arthur John Kilpatrick, "The Hollow," Ballylane, County Armagh.


ANDREWS -- November 19, at his residence, 2, Kew Terrace, Edinburgh (suddenly, from pneumonia), Rev. George Andrews, B.A., only son of the late Joseph Andrews, Banbridge. Interred in Comely Bank Cemetery, Edinburgh, on 22nd inst.

CRAIG -- November 19 (suddenly), at Belfast, R. J. Craig, Land Commissioner, Craigdarragh, Straidarran, Londonderry. Funeral private. No flowers.

SEAWRIGHT -- November 19, 1917, at 58, Albert Street, Belfast, Isabella, the dearly-beloved wife of W. H. Seawright. Interred in City Cemetery on Thursday, 22nd. W. H. SEAWRIGHT.

AICKEN -- November 20, 5 at her residence, Hawe View, Ballymaconnell, Jane Aicken.

ANDREWS -- November at his residency, 32, Millbrook Road, Lisburn, William, dearly-beloved husband of Isabella Andrews.

BAILEY -- September 30, at Hill Crest, Natal, William Frederick Bailey, M.D., youngest son of the late James Luttrell Bailey, who was for many years Commissioner of Police in Belfast.

BEATTY -- November 15, at his residence, Castlecaulfield, Co. Tyrone, Alexander Beatty (late of Ballymena, Co. Antrim), in his 83rd year.

BELL -- November 15, at Glenconway, Glenavy, Anna, eldest sister of the late Meredith Bell.

BELL -- November 18 (suddenly), at Bath, Thomas Mitchell Bell, younger son of the late William Bell, J.P., Belgravia, Lisburn Road.

CAMPBELL -- November 19 (after a brief illness), at Lurgan, Marianne Campbell, 62, The Mount, Belfast, daughter of the late John Campbell.

CAPPER -- August 23, at his residence, Lauristina, Melbourne, Australia, David Phillips Camper, seventh son of the late John Capper, of Lurgan, aged 63 years.

CORDNER -- November 19 (suddenly), at his father's residence, 19-21, High Street, Portadown, Ernest, youngest son of Thomas Cordner, aged 3 years.

HADDEN -- November 1, 1917 (the result of an accident), William J. Hadden, son of the late John Hadden, of Beech Hill, Ballylane, Co. Armagh, aged 34 years.

HARTE -- November 13, 1917, at her residence, Slievenaboley, Dromara, Co. Down, Eliza Jane, relict of the late Henry Harte. "Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord."

HAWTHORN -- November 20, Sarah Hawthorn, widow of James Hawthorn, and daughter of the late George Harrison, of Carrickfergus.

HAYDOCK -- November 15, at the residence of her husband, Market Square, Dungannon, Mary Ann, beloved wife of Henry Haydock.

HENDERSON -- November 16, at Whitehead, George Edwin Henderson, eldest surviving son of the late William Henderson, of Cortynan, Co. Armagh.

HEWITT -- November 13, at his residence, Ballintaggart, Portadown, James Hewitt, aged 88 years.

KELLY -- November 18, at his parents residence, Brookhill, William H., dearly-beloved and infant son of William and Dinah Kelly.

M'COUBREY -- November 17, at Ballyfotherly, Donaghadee, James M'Coubrey, in his 83rd year.

REDMOND -- November 20 (suddenly), Abram Walker Redmond, Richhill.

SAVAGE -- November 20, at her residence, 35, Botanic Avenue, Martha Elizabeth, youngest daughter of the late Hugh Cooper Savage, Ballylesson.

STOCKDALE -- November 21, at her residence, 27, Salisbury Gardens, Belfast, Mary, widow of the late George Stockdale, Downpatrick.

WALKER -- November 16, at his residence, The Trench, Coolsythe, Randalstown, James, the dearly-beloved husband of Margaret Walker.



A Brilliant Irish Soldier.

The War Office announces the death of Lieut.-General Sir Stanley Maude, K.C.B., C.M.G., D.S.O., British Commander in Mesopotamia, where, after a brief illness, he passed away on Sabbath evening. Born in June, 1864, son of the late Sir F. S. Maude, who won the V.C. at Sebastopol, and a grandson of the late Rev. the Hon. John C. Maude, Rector of Enniskillen, his family has close associations with Ireland. Sir Stanley was a nephew of Mrs. de F. Montgomery, of Fivemiletown, a cousin of Captain Anthony Maude, Secretary of the Representative Body of the Episcopal Church; and his widow is a daughter of the late Right Hon. T. E. Taylor, Ardgillan Castle, who at one time was an M.P. for Co. Dublin.

Deceased, whose chief feats of arms were the captures of Kut and, later, of Bagdad on March 11th, 1917, thus inflicting grievous defeats on the Turks in Mesopotamia, won the D.S.O. in the Boer War, in which he took part in many of the big operations. He was wounded in the present war, and was three times mentioned in despatches. He was promoted to Major-General for distinguished services in the field. For the capture of Bagdad General Maude received the congratulations of the King and the army.

The King, in a message to the General Officer commanding in Mesopotamia, deeply regrets the death of General Maude, "who rendered incalculable services to India, the Empire, and the Allies." A telegram from the Commander-in-Chief in India refers to deceased as "an illustrious soldier and a beloved leader."

The Premier, in Parliament, paid a warm tribute to deceased's memory, saying he was "one of the most distinguished soldiers in command of the British forces in the field, a great leader of men, and a commander of the first rank."

The full measure of General Maude's military capacity can only be guessed, says "The Times." In the comparatively limited theatre where he attained supreme command he won brilliant victories, and showed exceptional capacity, both for direction and organisation. At his death he was a General who had never made a single mistake, and it seemed possible that his great talents might eventually be utilised in some far larger sphere. He represented the very best type of the commanders who have maintained and created the traditions of the British Army. He was beloved by his troops, and his fine soldierly character impressed all who knew him.


The death has occurred at Bath of Mr. Thomas Mitchell Bell, manager of the London factory, and a director of Messrs. Gallaher, Ltd., tobacco manufacturers. The deceased gentleman was the younger son of the late Mr. William Bell, J.P., and was a brother-in-law of Mr. Thomas Gallaher, J.P. His brother (Mr. W. J. Bell, of Earlston, Annadale Avenue) is also a director of Messrs. Gallaher, Ltd., and in addition is secretary of the firm.




Sir Francis Darwin, in his book "Rustic Sounds," has something fine to say of the song of the robin redbreast. Of that bird he declares that it is hard to say whether he has more of tears or smiles in his recitative. In comparison with the nightjar he seems like a civilised human soul who has quite modern sorrows, and has half forgotten them in quiet contentment with the autumn sunshine. The blackbird has a tinge of the robin's sentiment but it is overborne by the glory of his song as a whole, which is pure gold, like his beak.


Miss Ruby Rugg, a member of the Salvation Army, formerly living at Fishponds, Bristol, had been blind for four years. She first became blind in one eye, and then lost the sight of the other. A month or two ago she rejoined her mother at Hanwell, where she passed through an air raid. The noise of the guns caused a violent pain in the head, which did not cease for three weeks. "I put up my hands to ease the awful pain," she explains, "when something seemed to snap with a loud report in my ears, and all at once I could see my sister, who was sitting with me." The doctor explains the recovery of sight as due to the shock of the air raid.


The giraffe, with its unequal legs, sloping back, long neck, and two horny knobs on the head, appears to be the most awkward animal in the menagerie. It is one of the most interesting, because it is so queer. Giraffes are brought from Africa, and are used only for exhibition, in the circus or in zoological gardens. A few naturalists say that there are eleven species, while others think there is only one. Some giraffes have two horns, others three, or even five. Those with two horns are the kind usually exhibited here. The entire number of giraffes in captivity is said not to exceed thirty, but to buy a single one takes from 400 to 1,200, according to its age. When about three years old one costs nearly 600.


It is interesting to learn that birds and beasts, as well as men and women, go "on strike." On these occasions they refuse to allow others to do their work for them. For example, horses will sometimes be found crowding together in a field very restive, and it will be noticed that they are eating less than usual, and that they continually neigh and rub noses together. These signs generally mean that the whole herd will refuse to be saddled or harnessed, and will bite and kick their attendants in resistance. The female members of the bird tribe sometimes desert their nests, leaving their eggs to become unhatchable, and drive away the males. While the male birds are very concerned on these occasions, they seem to possess no remedy, as the male birds will not attack the females. The small yellow ant, which does the work for the black ants, sometimes goes on strike, but when the black ants stop their food supply, it usually ends the strike unless the yellow ants leave together and form a colony of their own. In the rabbit colonies it usually falls to the share of the stronger rabbits to do most of the hardest digging and burrowing. About once in two years they come out on strike, and decline to make the passages which connect all the burrows in a big warren.


When you put on a pair of rubber shoes or look at a rubber tyre, do you ever think of the rubber tree which gives its sap for these useful articles? In Mexico the rubber tree once grew wild in great forests of rubber trees. About a hundred years ago, it is said, the Spanish Government sent a man to Mexico to study its vegetable productions, and he discovered how valuable is the juice, sap, or milk of the rubber tree, whichever you wish to call it. The natives soon learned its value, and they used the tree up as we have used up our forests, and did not think of the time when there would be no more wild trees to furnish the rubber sap. Recently some men have bought land and planted rubber trees. In the cultivated forests of rubber trees the trees are planted to grow in regular order, and the young shoots are cut down or transplanted. The method of gathering the sap is not unlike our method of gathering maple sap, and before the rubber sap is ready for market it must be boiled as our sap is, to get rid of the water, and pressed into cakes. Then the cakes are packed in bags and shipped to manufacture the many things into which rubber enters. The milk or sap of the rubber tree is white.



One of Belfast's group of intellectuals in the period 1790-1810, who was friend and benefactor of the Royal Belfast Academical Institution and member of its First Elected Board of Visitors; a Vice-President of the Belfast Society for Promoting Knowledge in 1802, and President of Belfast Literary Society, 1803-4 and 1811-12, was Samuel Martin Stevenson, Esq., M.D., who resided at 11, Wellington Place, Belfast, now occupied by Mr. T. Edens Osborne (the well-known Book Safe, Filter, Gramophone, and General Merchant). -- Communicated.



The death is announced of the Rev. George Andrews, B.A., minister of St. Bride's Church, Edinburgh. Deceased, who was a native of County Down, was a son of the late Mr. Joseph Andrews, Banbridge, and a brother of Mrs. Gordon, Annalong, now the only surviving member of the family. The Rev. Mr. Andrews was educated at the Academy, Banbridge, at the Old Queen's College, and the Assembly's College, Belfast, whilst he spent one session in the New College, Edinburgh. Before becoming connected with the Church of Scotland he was a licentiate of the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church in Ireland. For almost a year he was assistant chaplain to the troops at Aldershot, and for a similar period he was assistant to Dr. Colin Campbell, Dundee. In May, 1904, he was ordained and appointed to the ministry of St. Bride's. Deceased leaves a widow, to whom sincere sympathy will be extended in her bereavement.



The death has occurred of Mr. William J. Hadden, of Beech Hill, Ballylane, Co. Armagh, as the result of a cycling accident. After his day's work on the farm, deceased went off on his cycle, in company with a chum, to a music class at Tullyallen Presbyterian Church. When going down a hill near the church he lost control of his machine, and in trying to avoid a steam thresher which was being moved at the foot of the hill, he appears to have skidded off the verge of grass at the side of the road, with the result that he was hurled against a gate post, thereby sustaining injuries to his head and chest, from which he passed away in a few hours. Willie Hadden is deeply regretted by all who knew him. Possessed of much humour, and of a very cheery disposition, he made many friends and no enemies. He was a good son, a good brother, and a good neighbour. He was a member of Mountnorris Presbyterian Church; being fond of music he joined the Choir some years ago, and attended with unfailing regularity both practices and worship. Great sympathy is felt for his mother, sisters, and brothers in their sad loss. The funeral took place to the family burying-ground in the cemetery adjoining Mountnorris Presbyterian Church. The cortege was unusually large, showing how deeply the community was touched by the sad occurrence. The chief mourners were Messrs Herbert Hadden, Ernest D. Hadden, and Samuel Hadden (Glasgow), brothers. Rev. S. J. Hamilton, B.A. officiated at the house and at the grave. Wreaths, bearing suitable inscriptions, were sent by Mr. William Nesbitt, Mountnorris Choir, and Tullyallen Music Class.



The announcement of the death of Mr. R. J. Craig, J.P., Craigdarragh, Straidarran, Londonderry, will be received with deep regret by a wide circle of acquaintances. The end came suddenly while he was on a visit to Belfast. The deceased, who was a son of the late Mr. George Craig, Drumcovvitt, County Londonderry, received his education at the Coleraine Academical Institution. Taking to farming on extensive lines, he eventually became associated with the Irish Land Commission and was able to do valuable work in that respect. Latterly he participated with much zeal in the increased tillage movement, and brought to bear not only large experience, but also considerable influence upon the forwarding of the project. A member of the Presbyterian Church, he was connected with Banagher congregation, and filled for many years the responsible position of treasurer. Married to Miss Miller, of Millbrook, Co. Londonderry, a sister of Mr. Alexander Miller, J.P., he is survived by that lady and three sons and two daughters, with whom much sympathy will be felt in their unexpected bereavement. One of his sons, Ernest, is a doctor in British Guiana, and Herbert holds an important position in the treasury in London. The youngest son is engaged in farming. One of his brothers, Mr. David Craig, J.P., Oaks Lodge, died a few years ago. His surviving brothers are -- Mr. George Craig, J.P., Doamervitt House; Dr. Samuel Craig, North London; and Mr. John Craig, a large Australian farmer; while his sister is Mrs. M'Connell, widow of the late Rev. Mr. Campbell, of Portrush Presbyterian Church.


^ top of page

The Witness - Friday, 30 November 1917

Roll of Honour

BLACKWOOD -- Died of wounds on November 6, 1917, at First Canadian Field Ambulance, France, James Alexander, Dispenser, C.A.M.C., fourth son of George Blackwood, Ballinarea, Altnamackin, Castleblayney.

BOYD -- Killed in action, November 23, Second-Lieutenant Cecil V. Boyd, Royal Irish Rifles, dearly loved and fifth son of S. W. and Mrs. Boyd, Claremount House, Belfast, aged 20 years.


BROWN -- November 25, at her residence, Thomas Street, Dungannon, Sarah Brown, widow of the late Thomas Brown.

CURRIE -- November 11, at his residence, Castlegore, David Currie, aged 49 years, youngest son of the late William John Currie, Ballymacrea.

DOLLING -- November 23, at Worthing, Elise Radcliffe Dolling, Lady Superintendent of the Dolling Memorial Home, second daughter of the late Robert Holbeche Dolling, of Edenmore, Co. Down, Ireland.

FLEMING -- November 25, at her son's residence, 90, Union Street, Lurgan, Sarah Ann, widow of the late George Fleming, R.I.C.

FRIZELL -- November 22, at Knocknamona, Fortwilliam Park, Belfast, Jane, widow of the late Charles Frizell, Esq., J.P., Castle Kevin, Co. Wicklow, in her 96th year.

GILMORE -- November 27, at her residence, 7, Beechside Terrace, Lisburn, Elizabeth, dearly-beloved wife of Robert Gilmore.

HOLMES -- November 15, at Havre (France), James E., dearly-beloved husband of Matilda Holmes, Elmwood, Carrickfergus.

HOUSTON -- November 23 (suddenly), at Ballyearl, Elizabeth, wife of William Houston.

HUNTER -- November 24, at Little Ballymena, Ballyclare, Robert Thomas Hunter.

JOHNSTON -- November 22, at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. H. Milling, 2, Riverston Terrace, Holywood (late of Kin Edgar, Dundalk) Sarah J. Johnston, widow of the late Wm. Johnston, Tassagh, Armagh, in her 88th year.

LEATHEM -- November 26, at his residence, 17, East Down View, Low Road, Lisburn, Robert, dearly-beloved husband of Jane Leathem.

MAXWELL -- November 27, at her residence, Post Office, Dunmurry, Sarah, wife of Wm. Maxwell.

MINFORD -- November 24, at his residence, Point Street, Larne, Joseph, the beloved husband of Lizzie Minford.

MONTGOMERY -- November 22, at her residence, Ballydrain, Dunmurry, Co. Antrim, Isabella Folingsby Montgomery, widow of the late Thomas Montgomery, J.P., D.L.

MORGAN -- November 22, at 38, St. Augustine Road, Bedford, Charlotte Esther, second daughter of the late Rev. Thomas Morgan, B.A., Rostrevor, Co. Down.

M'CONKEY -- November 24, at 4, May Avenue, Bangor, George M'Conkey late of 72, Main Street).

M'DONALD -- November 27, at Newtownards Hospital, William M'Donald, late of Craigantlet.

M'LEAN -- November 24, 1917, John M'Lean, of Relough House, Donaghmore, aged 68 years.

PATTERSON -- November 26, at her residence, Killynure, Jane Patterson.

SCOTT -- November 29, 1917, at his residence, Hillcrest, Warrenpoint, Robert T. Scott, Director, J. N. Richardson, Sons, & Owden, Ltd., Belfast.

SIMMS -- November 23, at Lisanore, Sans Souci Park, Belfast, Hugh Neill Simms, late of the Provincial Bank, Banbridge.

THOMPSON -- November 22 (suddenly), Joseph H., youngest and dearly-beloved son of Thomas E. and Jane Thompson, Hollymount, Broomhedge.

THOMPSON -- November 27, at the residence of her brother-in-law, John C. G. Robinson, Myroballa, Belfast, Sara, relict of the late J. N. Thompson, and eldest daughter of the late Wm. Fraser, sen., Ballygomartin.

In Memoriam

M'KEOWN -- In loving memory of our dear son Robert, who fell asleep on November 21, 1915, and was interred in the family burying-ground, Drumaghlis. "Till the day break and the shadows flee away." JOHN and AGNES M'KEOWN.




The election of Mayors is in some instances enlivened by the observance of old-world ceremonies. At Brightlingsea, for instance, the Council retire to the belfry of the Parish Church to make their selection. At Grantham they install the new Mayor by tapping him on the head with the Town Clerk's hammer; while at Dunstable the time-honoured custom of "bumping" is observed. Bournemouth's choice is sealed by a kiss from the retiring Mayor.


Mr. Pett Ridge tells the following -- A soldier in a certain regiment out in France was making determined but unsuccessful efforts to light his pipe, and at about the ninth attempt an enemy shell came across, flinging him flat on the ground, and ploughing up the earth close by. After he had recovered somewhat he made one more try -- remarking aggrievedly, "What with these French matches and this 'ere bloomin' Belgian tobacco, my life very soon won't be worth living."


The following is the Queen of Roumania's exhortation to the excited citizens of Bucharest -- "This one boon do I ask of my people -- that if my feet should not enter the dear city with you, carry all the flowers that you would have given me to the church where my little one lies, carry them there to his grave, heap them in masses above him, fill the whole church with flowers, so that he who so long was lonely should have share in your songs of peace!"


Mr. Winston Churchill -- of America -- whom London has been honouring (says a writer in the "Daily Chronicle"), may be said to have completely justified one of his early theories, that a man's destiny is in his own hands. He decided one day, to the surprise of his friends, to become a novelist, and set about the business with the industry and foresight of, say, Lord Rhondda. His methods were modelled upon those of a bank as regards punctuality and despatch, and the painstaking docketing instinct of a British Museum librarian. On the same principle he decided to become a politician, and very nearly made himself, eleven years ago, Governor of New Hampshire.


Helping himself f to a cigarette, taking a match from a box and striking it, the gloved ex-soldier asked me (writes the medical correspondent of the "Daily Mail") to throw him the duster he handed me from the bench near by. He deftly caught it between the fingers and thumb. "Not bad for an artificial arm, is it?" he said. Then grasping a hammer he drove a few nails into a board, after which exchanging the hammer for a saw he sawed through the wood. This was what the par-perfected artificial arm can do. One of the most amazing patients is an officer, who, having lost his fingers of his right hand, has been re-equipped with artificial ones, in which he can hold his violin bow. He is now being fitted with another hand with which he hopes to be able to play the piano. This special piano-playing hand can be removed and replaced by the ordinary utility hand or by a special craftsman's hand in two seconds.



War Correspondents' Tributes.

Describing the work of the Ulster Division in the recent British advance in France, Mr. Philip Gibbs, war correspondent, says -- A little body of Belfastmen, all from the shipbuilding works on Queen's Island, worked for hours under fire to build a bridge across and to repair a destroyed causeway, sor that the infantry could pass. This was done before dusk, and the Ulstermen seized the way across the Cambrai road, but could not cross the canal or get forward very far owing to the fierce machine-gun fire that swept down upon them from the east side of the canal, where the enemy was holding Moeuvres and Graincourt. It was on Wednesday morning that the Inniskillings bombed their way into Moeuvres, and fought their way into the centre of the village, where a barricade had been put up against them. In the afternoon the enemy organised a counterattack from one of the locks on the Canal du Nord, but it did not drive back the Ulstermen, but it was not until the following morning, when our men had almost exhausted their ammunition and were spent after their long hours of fighting, that the enemy was able to drive a small wedge into our line. By this time most of Moeuvres was in our hands, but the enemy was able to get up strong bodies of grenadiers and riflemen, and before darkness came the Ulstermen withdrew to the southern edge of the village.


The Special Correspondent of the Press Association says -- The Ulster troops were given that job (bombing the various lines of the Hindenburg system), and there has hardly been anything finer done in this war than the way in which, against continuous opposition, they forged their way along three miles of trench northward for nearly three miles, killing many Germans, taking many prisoners, and hustling the rest of the trenches' defenders before them like sheep. The Ulster Division troops, it should be mentioned, did not have tanks to help to crush the wire, and, therefore, could not go frontally over the trenches. They had to bomb along the trenches to the left of the main attack, and this they did in one day for a distance of four thousand yards from the neighbourhood of Havrincourt to a point on the Cambrai road. All along the Germans were holding their trenches in strength and fighting at many points, and especially at a large spoil bank some sixty feet high. On the canal banks they had an extremely strong position, with numbers of machine guns. Close beyond was a place known as Slag Street, which was a real fortress, but nothing stopped the Ulstermen except that they ran out of bombs for a time, and had to wait for supplies. When those arrived they went joyously on, and achieved what is probably a long distance record for that kind of fighting.


Lieutenant George York Henderson, M.C., Royal Irish Rifles, third surviving son of the late Sir James Henderson, D.L., Belfast, was killed in action on Thursday, 22nd inst., during the great advance of the Ulster Division in the neighbourhood of Cambrai. Born on 12th May, 1893, the late Lieutenant Henderson was educated at the Methodist College, Belfast, and Trinity College, Dublin, graduating with honours in 1914. Shortly after the formation of the Ulster Division he was granted a commission. He took part in the memorable advance before Thiepval at the opening of the Battle of the Somme on 1st July, 1916, and was wounded on that occasion. On recovering he rejoined his battalion, and was promoted to the rank of lieutenant on 11th March of the present year. Lieutenant Henderson won the Military Cross in the victorious attack on the Messines-Wytschaete Ridge on 7th June last. The late Lieutenant Henderson was one of four brothers in the Services, the others being Second-Lieutenant James Henderson, A.S.C.; Lieutenant Oscar Henderson, R.N.; and Captain R. L. Henderson, Royal Irish Rifles. A young man of winsome personality, unobtrusive, and kindly, the deceased, who was home on leave about two months ago, enjoyed the affectionate regard of a wide circle of friends, and acquaintances, by whom his death will be deeply regretted.

Lieutenant T. P. M'Connell, Tank Corps, officially reported severely wounded in chest and knee on 21st inst., is a son of Mr. Thomas E. M'Connell, J.P., Eden-a-grena, Cranmore Park, Belfast, of Messrs. Robson's, Limited, Chichester Street. He was formerly in the 8th Battalion Royal Irish Rifles, and was wounded at Thiepval on the 1st July, 1916, subsequently transferring to the tanks. He was in command of a tank in the recent push. His brother, Second-Lieutenant R. B. M'Connell, King's Own Scottish Borderers, was killed in action in France in January last.

Second-Lieutenant Cecil V. Boyd, son of Mr. S. W. Boyd, J.P., Claremont House, Ardenlee Avenue, Belfast, has been killed in action a during the recent advance of the Ulster Division in the neighbourhood of Cambrai. He was born on 6th April, 1897, was educated at Campbell College, Belfast, and received his military training, in the Cadet Corps, Newcastle, Co. Down, and Fermoy, Co. Cork. He was commissioned on 24th May last, and sent to France in June. The deceased has a brother at present in Oxford undergoing training in the Flying Corps.

Lieutenant Thomas Sinclair Haslett, M.C., Royal Irish Rifles, killed in action on the 22nd inst., was the eldest son of Rev. Thos. Haslett, M.A., of First Ballymena Presbyterian Church, and a nephew of Colonel Thomas Sinclair, M.D., F.R.C.S., Army Medical Service, and of Mr. John Sinclair, a member of the Belfast Harbour Board. Deceased, who was nineteen years of age, received his education at Ballymena Academy, Campbell College, Belfast, and Foyle College, Londonderry. He obtained his commission on 4th October, 1915, and in the following year won the Military Cross for conspicuous gallantly in action. He led a daring raid with great courage and skill, himself killing the enemy sentry and capturing three prisoners. He got his second star on 1st July last.

Lieutenant Alexander M'Kee, Royal IrishRifles, killed in action on 22nd inst., was the only son of the late Mr. Alexander M'Kee, of the Ulster Spinning Company, Ltd., and Mrs. M'Kee, 20, Madison Avenue, Belfast, and a nephew of Mr. David M'Kee, of the Belfast Banking Company. A member of the original Young Citizen Volunteers, he joined the Black Watch when war was declared, and subsequently obtained a commission in the Royal Irish Rifles. He took part in the suppression of the Sinn Fein Rebellion in Easter Week, 1916, and afterwards went to France, where he served for a considerable time with a Belfast battalion. Captain M'Kee was a member of Ekenhead Presbyterian Church, and commanded the company of the Boys' Brigade in connection with that congregation. He was also a member of Ulidia Masonic Lodge, No. 135.



The Army Council has now fixed the price for Upper Leather until further notice. The fact of Messrs. Birney's, Ltd., North Street, Belfast, having secured large stocks in advance enables them to supply their famous Damp-proof Boots and Clogs, which ensure comfort and good health, with durability, at moderate prices. As Government Contractors, their Boots are a standard for War Workers and Sailors.



On Wednesday there were laid to rest in Balmoral Cemetery the remains of James Cowan, private, Australian Imperial Force, who was wounded in action in France, and died at the General Hospital, Birmingham, on the 25th inst. The deceased soldier was the second son of the late Mr. John Cowan, Fremantle, and grandson of the late Mr. Hugh Craig, Belfast. The funeral took place from the Fleetwood steamer. The chief mourners were Messrs. James Craig, John C. Craig, Glenmount, Whitehouse; Rev. David H. Craig, Donegore; Mr. Andrew Craig, Belfast (uncles); Rev. James Meeke, Messrs. Alexander Moore, James Tate, J. M'Dowell, Fred Payne, Thomas Houston, and Robert Boag, and a large number of relations and friends. The boffin was placed upon a gun carriage and covered by the Union Jack, and accompanied by a detachment of the Northumberland Fusiliers, with military band.

At the grave a service was conducted by the Rev. David H. Craig, Rev. Wm. A. Watson, M.A., York Street, Belfast; and Rev. Robert Barron,. D.D., Whitehouse, the latter of whom delivered the following address -- We are met to-day to lay in their last resting-place on earth the remains of a young soldier of the British Army. We are met in sorrow, but our sorrow is mixed with joy and pride. In sorrow, at the early close of a heroic life; in joy, that the life was given for a high and noble cause. When this great war began, when the Empire called on her sons; there was a great response. From Australia, New Zealand, Canada, South Africa, and the other Colonies came the answer, "Here are we." The sons of the Empire put themselves between their Mother Country and her foes. I need not speak of the bravery of the Colonial troops. It was proved on many a bloody battle-field. Amongst those who heard that call was James Cowan, an Australian-born boy, who had never seen the green fields of England nor of Ireland. He was of Irish race and blood; his father and mother and his relatives all being Irish. He offered himself to the Empire, and the offering was accepted. He served on the battlefields of France, was seriously wounded in action, was brought to Birmingham, and there died. Now his body has been brought to Ireland, and, surrounded by loving relatives and friends, has been laid to rest among kindred dust. He has made the supreme offering of his life for the Empire. "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." It is a sweet and a becoming thing to die for our country. Our hearts go out to-day to his mother in her far-away home. She is one with many other mothers in her sorrow for a son who has made the great sacrifice. God comfort her. God bless her and all sorrowing mothers. May He accept this sacrifice. May it not be made in vain. May the Empire for which James Cowan died be strengthened in His great strength, till victory crowns her armies and a righteous and lasting peace be the reward of the great sacrifices.

The usual volleys were fired, and the Last Post sounded in honour of a gallant soldier who has given his life for the Empire.

The funeral arrangements were conducted by Messrs. Melville, Ltd., Townsend Street Belfast.



It is with sincere regret we announce the death, with tragic suddenness, yesterday morning, at his residence, Hillcrest, Warrenpoint, of Mr. R. T. Scott, one of the directors of the firm of Messrs. J. N. Richardson, Sons, & Owden, Belfast. Mr. Scott, who for some years has had charge of the spinning works of the firm at Bessbrook, and resided at Warrenpoint, was attending to his business as usual at the factory, when he was seized with illness, and removed to his private residence at Warrenpoint, where he died a short time afterwards. Mr. Scott was well known in Belfast business circles, and held in the esteem for his experience and capacity and personal worth. He was a native of County Monaghan, and been connected all his business life with the firm of which he ultimately became a director, and in whose extensive enterprise he took a great part and a great interest. In connection with his duties in Bessbrook he was in the habit of paying regular and frequent visits to Belfast, and the writer met him often on these occasions, the last only two or three days ago, when he seemed in his usual health and spirits. He was a thorough and experienced business man, and an authority on all matters connected with the staple trade. He was very kindly and genial, and held in the greatest esteem by all who knew him. Mr. Scott was a staunch Unionist in politics and a staunch Presbyterian. While in Belfast he was connected with Elmwood congregation and in Warrenpoint with Rostrevor congregation. He took great interest in the affairs of the Presbyterian Church, with which he had many family associations. He was married to a daughter of the late Mr. Alex. Bailley, near Clones, who is a sister of the Rev. W. H. Bailley, Clogher, and a sister-in-law of the Rev. Dr. Lowe, Clerk of the General Assembly. His widow and family of four daughters and one son survive to mourn his loss. To them and to his other relatives we tender expressions of the most sincere condolence on the death of one who was honoured and honourable in all the relations of life, commercial and personal.


^ top of page